USMNT 2022

Napoleon

Thanks for the reminder, [mention=1546]shnsajax[/mention]. Would not have remembered.
And to add what others have commented on, Diego Luna is rather young to have already made so many unfortunate life choices. 

Felt like an old man trying to figure out how to watch this on one of these choices.

Cuba beat Canada 1-0 Saturday despite being a man down for the final 20 minutes. The Cubanos also sank St. Kitts and Nevis earlier today 6-0, so a failure for the US to get a result tonight would be pretty bad.

We’ve probably had 70% of the possession and Canada is sitting with 8 guys in there box it feels like most of the time. The breakthrough is coming but the first is always the hardest to get.

Draw all but guarantees the US no worse than second but also means it will have to beat Cuba in order to finish top of the group.

Disappointing result given that the US enjoyed 72 percent possession to Canada's 28 percent and outshot the northerners, 22-6. But that's what two soft goals (one of which was an OG) will net you.

E0A8FEB9-D762-41EB-95A4-2E842CDB6628.thumb.jpeg.b436fd0b188fe4b56300709547f1b33e.jpeg

AE3CA7AC-D2F3-439B-8E7E-BDE528AE7240.thumb.jpeg.d518393a4c6e35aa2819acf840b4a984.jpeg

Less than bueno. 🤬

1 hour ago, WBT said:

You don't claim the rugby?

Ha ha ha… actually, yes. In the Spanish speaking world, Los Pumas son el mejor!

And definitely the best Rugby team in the New World. Between 2nd & 4th best in the Southern Hemisphere, depending on the year, and numero uno in the Spanish World, along with #1 in Men’s & Women’s field hockey. (Don’t know the men’s team nickname, but… Las Liones son tan lindas.

But polo doesn’t have a language qualifier. Argies are so far and away the best polo players in the world that it’s a joke. They would easily take all three medals if polo were an Olympic sport. 

I've been meaning to post this on the last game of Nations league, but been really busy:

The Kyle Bonn thread is about a dozen comments from the post game. A good read if you want to read more about it.

But I have to put this response to the question here too:

He's not wrong

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

E0A8FEB9-D762-41EB-95A4-2E842CDB6628.thumb.jpeg.b436fd0b188fe4b56300709547f1b33e.jpeg

AE3CA7AC-D2F3-439B-8E7E-BDE528AE7240.thumb.jpeg.d518393a4c6e35aa2819acf840b4a984.jpeg

Less than bueno. 🤬

Ha ha ha… actually, yes. In the Spanish speaking world, Los Pumas son el mejor!

And definitely the best Rugby team in the New World. Between 2nd & 4th best in the Southern Hemisphere, depending on the year, and numero uno in the Spanish World, along with #1 in Men’s & Women’s field hockey. (Don’t know the men’s team nickname, but… Las Liones son tan lindas.

But polo doesn’t have a language qualifier. Argies are so far and away the best polo players in the world that it’s a joke. They would easily take all three medals if polo were an Olympic sport. 

Fuck me that's like a Chelsea result. 

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Boring second half and watching Cuban’s lay on the ground didn’t help.

Cade Cowell needs a move away from San Jose, just wasting development time with that team with his potential.

That second half was so insipid I think it gave me cancer.

In all seriousness, pretty decent strikes from Sullivan on each of his three goals.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Boring second half and watching Cuban’s lay on the ground didn’t help.

Cade Cowell needs a move away from San Jose, just wasting development time with that team with his potential.

I listened to a SCUFFED podcast review of game 2 vs Canada 🇨🇦 and their description of Cade Cowell on the ball had me laughing about his bluff of maybe choosing to play for México 🇲🇽. 😂

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/scuffed-soccer-podcast-usmnt-yanks-abroad-mls-futbol/id1352231546?i=1000567219573

He sounds like a football 🏈 player playing fútbol ️. 

Stocky, athletic, a raging bull, with minimal soccer skills.

He needs to get his ass to Frisco or North Jersey (NYRB) or Long Island (?… NYCFC) or Philly ASAP. Even Seattle or LA (boaff teams).

The need to work on first touch and ball skills from the youngest of ages is personified by Cade Cowell. Physical specimen that is mildly effective and can be marked out of a game. 

re: CONCACAF U20 

On a playable pitch, I can’t imagine the US boys making it to the final vs México  

In slop… anything can happen  

• Hook 'Em 1

US is dominating possession and chances, but not much quality outside Luna's nifty run to the back line late in the half that ended with a centering pass to Sullivan's head. Sullivan then drew a PK early in the second after beating his man and being dragged down from behind.

And just as I'm typing this, Cowell makes a nice serve to far post, which Sullivan volleys home for a brace.

Overall, US has controlled all four of its matches so far this tournament. Criticisms: too many extra touches in attack, too deliberate.

And the defense is going to give up goals if it insists on building from the back in the face of a high press.

Costa Rica next to qualify for WC and then likely unbeaten Honduras to qualify for Olympics. We’ll see how tough this team is, playing Honduras on its home soil and I doubt we’ll get favorable reffing. Everyone else has at least one loss or draw except Honduras. But first things first, beat CR. 

• Like 1

Costa Rica next to qualify for WC and then likely unbeaten Honduras to qualify for Olympics. We’ll see how tough this team is, playing Honduras on its home soil and I doubt we’ll get favorable reffing. Everyone else has at least one loss or draw except Honduras. But first things first, beat CR. 

I truly don’t understand why this tournament has anything to do with the 2024 Olympics? And did the Olympics move their format to U20 or is it still U23?