USMNT 2022

Napoleon

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Pefok in his Union Berlin debut.

Was coming to post this.  I hope GGG doesn't sleep on this guy.  He's the most proven 9 we have by a long shot as it relates to actual goal scoring in Europe.  Perhaps not most talented or best fit with our midfield, but I really want this guy coming off bench in minute 70 to fuck shit up.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 7/18/2022 at 10:17 PM, Captain Ron said:

Oh there is so much wrong with that list. The inclusion of Eustaquio and Buchanan. The lack of Reyna. I mean, it's specifically leaving out a ton of American's just for the sake of being "edgy." Dumb list, waste of time.

Lol. Just seeing this list. No CR GK? he’s a wall 

Steffen needs to be behind Sean Williams in pecking order.  He’s lost it.  I’d rather have someone steady than the dude that makes a miracle save but let’s a questionable in or a howler every game.  Need to stop worrying about where he played and instead how he looks now.  

39 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

pefok's goal is cool, but that keeper not only should have done better, it should have been routine

I'm not sure I agree. The keeper has to cover the near post. And with the cross being pinpoint, the keeper can't commit one way or the other, it also kept the keeper back because he doesn't really have time to react. With the shot being low it also made the save a lot harder.

That's a damn fine goal.

image.thumb.png.6929d4fc47fa88a33c1c334c2208e210.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Aaronson was fantastic for Leeds today in a win, scored the game winner but it’s being called an OG

If you watch it, and you gotta slow it down a lot, the defender cleanly gets it and puts it in the net. But if he doesn’t do that, Aaronson is going to score an easy one.

image.png.0c21f19c1bf1e29bbe6d6dea7663e228.png

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

This is good.

I hope that Steffen doesn’t rub off on Hoppe. 

Hoppe might be in the discussion if he had made a similar move last year, or just stayed with Schalke. In my expert opinion, he has no shot at making the 2022 roster. 

He won’t get enough run to get called into the September camp and he hasn’t played the #9 even once for the USMNT. And he’s only played with the USMNT B-team, never the A-team, except for the MLS players in the lower spine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

pefok's goal is cool, but that keeper not only should have done better, it should have been routine

8 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I'm not sure I agree. The keeper has to cover the near post. And with the cross being pinpoint, the keeper can't commit one way or the other, it also kept the keeper back because he doesn't really have time to react. With the shot being low it also made the save a lot harder.

That's a damn fine goal.

image.thumb.png.6929d4fc47fa88a33c1c334c2208e210.png

As a goalie I'd say it was bad goaltending. Pefok played it perfectly but at that level the goalie has to have a quicker reaction. There was a split second there where he just froze.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good for who?  Not the guy moving from Mallorca to Middlesbrough surely.

Any chance he has for minutes is a good move for him. The ECL will provide a lot more of that than La Liga, the Bundesliga, or any other top flight league not in Scotland or Belgium.
  • Like 1

Whatever they got him for was a fucking steal. 

He's going to be one of the best players in the PL in a couple years. I'm going to keep saying it so that when it happens no one is sitting here saying "wow if only someone saw this coming". 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

He's going to be one of the best players in the PL in a couple years. I'm going to keep saying it so that when it happens no one is sitting here saying "wow if only someone saw this coming". 

The offensive version of Kante, but way ahead of Kante’s schedule.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I mean, he’s quickly becoming one of my favorite American players ever, but I’m not sure he’s gonna get to where you want.   Would love to see it though 

12 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

No surprise at all.

Dude's heart is gonna blow up some day and we'll all immediately know why, but we'll also enjoy the ride.

He has to start in Qatar.  Only a handful of players in the world can place the opposition under sustained pressure like he can.  The US will need to score goals like Leeds' first goal to advance from the group stage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alincoln said:

He has to start in Qatar.  Only a handful of players in the world can place the opposition under sustained pressure like he can.  The US will need to score goals like Leeds' first goal to advance from the group stage.

Over who, though, if Reyna is healthy, unless we decide we do not need a true 9?  I presume it's CP-??-Weah/Gio up front with MMA behind them.  Injuries will solve all of this, but two of Weah/Gio/Aaronson are likely starting on the bench if everyone is healthy.  He could supplant Weston, I guess.  It's a good problem to have, though.

I like the idea of him coming on in minute 65-70 to run the other team ragged in the heat. 

19 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I like the idea of him coming on in minute 65-70 to run the other team ragged in the heat. 

1) “over whom”?

-object of the preposition and such.

2) This sounds like a perfect role for Pulisic! 

-he tends to excel as a 2nd half sub.

-Brenden is becoming unbenchable. You know that he’s never going to fade in and out during a match. You know that at this age, he can run his ass off all game long and that he will run until he drops. 

About 9-12 months ago, Brenden seemed like a guy who ran a ton, but sometimes like a chicken with his head cut off. At times it was difficult to discern a strategy in his running and then there was the issue of how easily he was “little brothered” off the ball, but that seems to have changed over the last 9 months. 

From Brenden’s first match against Bayern in their Champions League knockout round, he seems to have taken a step up in play. And having over a third of a Premier League season under his belt should prepare him quite well for the physical nature (“level of physicality”) of the World Cup.

All that said, it’s up to Gregg to deal with Christian’s ego. The best thing for the team is to have Pulisic come on in the second half, but how do you not start your only Champions League winning field player and the only one in your nation’s history?

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

1) “over whom”?

-object of the preposition and such.

2) This sounds like a perfect role for Pulisic! 

-he tends to excel as a 2nd half sub.

-Brenden is becoming unbenchable. You know that he’s never going to fade in and out during a match. You know that at this age, he can run his ass off all game long and that he will run until he drops. 

About 9-12 months ago, Brenden seemed like a guy who ran a ton, but sometimes like a chicken with his head cut off. At times it was difficult to discern a strategy in his running and then there was the issue of how easily he was “little brothered” off the ball, but that seems to have changed over the last 9 months. 

From Brenden’s first match against Bayern in their Champions League knockout round, he seems to have taken a step up in play. And having over a third of a Premier League season under his belt should prepare him quite well for the physical nature (“level of physicality”) of the World Cup.

All that said, it’s up to Gregg to deal with Christian’s ego. The best thing for the team is to have Pulisic come on in the second half, but how do you not start your only Champions League winning field player and the only one in your nation’s history?

It looks like Aaronson played on the right with Leeds this weekend, which I wasn't aware of.  So if a 9 doesn't step up, play Weah/Reyna there with CP3 on left and Aaronson on right.  Then mix it up during the game with those 4. 

But of course, you make a good point as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/2/2022 at 3:26 PM, Napoleon said:

The Yanks are really showing up for Rangers!

B6A007DC-B7C4-49E7-A19E-042A181A0577.thumb.jpeg.fb5e3835498482fb42e0a3211b271cda.jpeg

A550B267-AFC2-4BE5-94D3-0C469AB755B4.thumb.jpeg.62db9e786d301540f7932ec4f4e15e4d.jpeg

Welp, there’s always Europa League!

Losing handily to Belgium’s #3 team from last season. 

Is this a Home & Away?

Tillman scored the aggregate winner today. Rangers won 3-0. 

• Like 2