USMNT 2022

Napoleon

8 hours ago, shnsajax said:

How does Juve want to lineup? They ran a 4-4-2 with Di Maria and Vlohovic yesterday. Can you run a 4-3-2-1 with Di Maria and Pulisic and Vlahovic? I think you can, and feel that runs better for Di Maria too. Vlahovic is a badass who I think Pulisic playing underneath would be perfect. But how does that affect their mids and defense?

You can play CP at the top of a 4-4-2. The US has done it. Chelsea has played him in just about every position on the field save CM and CB. He's not a great false 9 - but he can play on both sides and is decent playing underneath. He obviously excels the most as a true winger .

17 minutes ago, The Dog said:

aw hell no go somewhere good:

Actually this move would be great.

• I think Leeds is a lot better than people realize
  • He's would play there, a lot
  • 3 USMNT players on 1 team would allow them to gel really well, forming a good core of the USMNT

That all being said, Pulisic, if he moves, will not stay in the EPL.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Germany, England, Italy, France, Spain - most of their players all play in the same league. In Germany's case, for quite a while, their team was essentially 2/3 Bayern Munich, 1/3 Borussia Dortmund. 

Italy's WC fuck up withstanding, those 5 teams being consistently great is in large part due to their players all playing very similar systems year round. As of last year, our top 6 players all played in 5 different leagues (CP, Weston, Adams, Aaronson, Reyna, Weah). I think the more time they all spend in similar setups the better, even if it's at a middle of the pack team like Leeds.

That being said, I don't see Weston leaving Juventus so CP10 going to Serie A doesn't bother me either, especially if it's to join Juve.

4 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I don't think CP could push Cuadrado or Di Maria out of the starting 11 right away . . . but they are both old AF, so Juve could be a good fit longer term.  It would certainly be fun to see CP and Wes on the same team.  

CP isn’t better than Cuadrado or Dí Maria, but if he could start 1 out of 3 games for Dí Maria and 1 out of 3 games foe Cuadrado, then that’s starting 66.67% of the time. The two South Americans are 34 years-old, so playing every match is not ideal. 

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

My favorite part of that replay was the announcers talking about how good of a defender that guy was. He literally just stood there and let homeboy dribble around him and shoot. 

This. The next time I see an EPL CB do this, I will say "Harry Maguire, that's the 10th time in the first half!"

No, even he isn't that bad.

I agree, the first touch is good, it wasn't THAT good. It wouldn't catch any EPL defender that flat footed. That was bad defense. 

52 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

This. The next time I see an EPL CB do this, I will say "Harry Maguire, that's the 10th time in the first half!"

No, even he isn't that bad.

I agree, the first touch is good, it wasn't THAT good. It wouldn't catch any EPL defender that flat footed. That was bad defense. 

Let's bring it back a bit. EPL defenders play shitty defense all the time. Everton got blanked 4-0 in a friendly against Minnesota. Tim Ream starts in the PL. Obviously - as a whole - the league plays much better defense.

The main issue on that play is the lack of pressure and allowing him to receive it in space. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

I’m kinda surprised by this. I went to Qatar on a business trip about 4 years ago and was actually excited to come back for the WC (if we qualified). But, when I looked at how logistically different this tournament is to previous tourneys it just didn’t make since. It’s been a month or so since I checked, but QR was selling economy class tickets for $6k and hotels were ridiculous unless you want to stay in Dubai and ferry over and back on game day. Then I saw that Qatar Airways was selling all-inclusive packages including airfare, hotel, game tickets, etc. but you have to stay for the entirely of the group stages. It’s been said 1000x before, but Qatar was a really terrible host selection. 

Oh and those USA shirts are so bad. I agree with @NorthLoop that they look like high school volleyball jerseys. That’s exactly what they look like. 

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

My favorite part of that replay was the announcers talking about how good of a defender that guy was. He literally just stood there and let homeboy dribble around him and shoot. 

I had a drill for my girls youth teams where the attacker dribbles up to a defender standing there doing nothing, dribble around him, and then shoots. This was almost the exact drill.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Let's bring it back a bit. EPL defenders play shitty defense all the time. Everton got blanked 4-0 in a friendly against Minnesota. Tim Ream starts in the PL. Obviously - as a whole - the league plays much better defense.

The main issue on that play is the lack of pressure and allowing him to receive it in space. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Whenever people see MLS highlights it's usually goals being scored. So of course there's going to be a lot of miscues represented. I doubt anyone that doesn't watch MLS is looking up "best defensive plays MLS 2022".

Oh, I am not saying that the EPL is perfect, but you don't see guys get frozen like a statue and dribbled around flat footed. You see missed plays that let guys get wide open or just teams catch another team with numbers and find an open man (think Chelsea's goal for 2-1 against Spurs).

And I certainly don't disagree he getting way too much space in the box, but hell, even that happens, seen Haaland's goals in week 1.

But ultimately this is what worries me about the discussion of these MLS guys in the World Cup - they won't see this space against anyone we face (ok maybe Iraq). I think they struggle.

6 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

But ultimately this is what worries me about the discussion of these MLS guys in the World Cup - they won't see this space against anyone we face (ok maybe Iraq). I think they struggle.

Totally agree.  This is exactly the reason why I am OK with an MLS keeper or center back, but don't want to see MLS guys on the USMNT in more technical positions when we face top level national teams.  When they don't have the space they are used to, guys freak out and either lose the ball  or play negative passes that kill momentum (see Lletget).  Remember what happened to Michael Bradley when he went from Seria A to MLS? . . . his ability to function under pressure seemed to deteriorate quickly. 

The few guys in MLS that are more technical (e.g., Driussi, Herrera) stand out . . . and none of the Americans in the MLS really fall into that category.  Speaking of Driussi, he is clearly too good for the MLS yet has exactly zero caps for the Argentina men's team, which says something.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Totally agree.  This is exactly the reason why I am OK with an MLS keeper or center back, but don't want to see MLS guys on the USMNT in more technical positions when we face top level national teams.  When they don't have the space they are used to, guys freak out and either lose the ball  or play negative passes that kill momentum (see Lletget).  Remember what happened to Michael Bradley when he went from Seria A to MLS? . . . his ability to function under pressure seemed to deteriorate quickly. 

The few guys in MLS that are more technical (e.g., Driussi, Herrera) stand out . . . and none of the Americans in the MLS really fall into that category.  Speaking of Driussi, he is clearly too good for the MLS yet has exactly zero caps for the Argentina men's team, which says something.  

No offense but you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. The attacking talent in MLS is on average better than the keeping and defending talent and I wouldn't say it's all that close. Yet you're cool with us playing MLS keepers and CBs but not forwards? 

Driussi doesn't play for Argentina because it's Argentina. He also plays in the MLS because he isn't good enough to feature for a legit club in a top 5 league in Europe. Driussi would have a shot at cracking the NT lineup but we have at least 15 players better than him in the pool. He has 17 goals and 5 assists in MLS this season. You should go look up what Jesus is at. Jesus being a player that is on the fringe of being good enough to play regularly for the US. 

Some of you need to watch more MLS and do some more research. LAFC would not finish last in any top 5 league in Europe save maybe the prem. I'm not sure why this is such a difficult concept to understand. MLS is going to be a top 8 league in the world within 5ish years. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

I've been investing in a USA Jersey for my 2 boys every year that they have been alive. The plan is to present them with a box full of brand new adult size vintage jersey's when they are 20 and 18.  One of them has 8 so far and the other has 6.  

Going to be real hard to buy one of these. 

Edited by Chico_SA
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

No offense but you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. The attacking talent in MLS is on average better than the keeping and defending talent and I wouldn't say it's all that close. Yet you're cool with us playing MLS keepers and CBs but not forwards? 

Under Greg, the USMNT is trying to play possession based soccer.  You cannot do that effectively with attacking players with bad touch.  So, yeah, I have been totally fine with us playing Miles Robison, A Long, Zimerman, Turner, etc. because they don't cause us to lose possession or fuck up the build up play.  But Morris, Lletget, Yueill, Zardes and pretty much every other MLS based attacker sure do.  

The only MLS based midfielders or forwards that should make the US WC roster are Acosta (who at most should only play as a ball winner to help see out games where we are winning) and JF.  And I sincerely hope that one of our euro based strikers can find enough form that we don't have to play JF.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

This is a salty fucking soccer team. No one in Europe wants to play this squad with a relegation spot on the line. 

Check their 3rd goal in this reel.

No doubt, because that team features a lineup that is DOMINATED by non-American players. Accosta is their only primary starter that is American with 1 more player that is on the edge (~65/35 in starts vs subs). In the two games you selected, there 8 Americans on the LAFC side across 2 games and only 3 starters.

But this also gets way off in the weeds. The real discussion is does/can the MLS prep guys for play on the international stage. And I think we have a very good player on this team that will tell us this - Bale. The guy is going to play in the World Cup for Wales. It's going to be interesting to see how he is playing when the World Cup comes around.