USMNT 2022

Napoleon

21 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

This right here. Nike has been SUPER lazy as a uniform sponsor for everyone. This doesn't just apply to the national teams, but also the clubs they are sponsoring. Nike could do so much more and just isn't. They just crank out the same things for everyone.

Whatever, the unis suck this year, I am moving on. I've said my piece, this is one of the first I have no interest in.

Ok, one last thing about the jersey/uniforms - The Athletic is doing a poll on it, take a look here:

https://forms.gle/5CffdTiVhqPG8LHV8

The article that has this: https://theathletic.com/3598069/2022/09/15/usmnt-uswnt-world-cup-kits/ (paywalled)

Edited by Captain Ron

24 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Sounds like Reus is going to be out for a long while. I was liking how Dortmund has been handling Gio this season so far, but that might be over now.

Maybe. Don’t forget that Dortmund has to survive the same schedule as everyone else. They gotta do what they can to keep their squad healthy. They will do what they can to keep guys healthy. 

Just now, shnsajax said:

Pefok with a perfect header.

This is pissing me off. Hope it's just typical fanboi handwringing, but it feels like something happened between Pefok and the USMNT/Gergg.

When Gergg used doublespeak to leave out Brooks, it was understandable because John was not in form and had displayed lackluster effort and awareness in his previous caps. But Pefok has been fire for a minute now. He could be the target this team needs but doesn't seem like we'll get the chance to find out.

• Like 1

This is pissing me off. Hope it's just typical fanboi handwringing, but it feels like something happened between Pefok and the USMNT/Gergg.
When Gergg used doublespeak to leave out Brooks, it was understandable because John was not in form and had displayed lackluster effort and awareness in his previous caps. But Pefok has been fire for a minute now. He could be the target this team needs but doesn't seem like we'll get the chance to find out.

Cant use playing in Switzerland as an excuse any more. He’s legit been the 2nd best player on the best team in the Bundesliga. He’s now the leagues 3rd leading scorer and 6th in assists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

55 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Cant use playing in Switzerland as an excuse any more. He’s legit been the 2nd best player on the best team in the Bundesliga. He’s now the leagues 3rd leading scorer and 6th in assists.

Here is a good thread addressing Pefok with the UMNT. I think he hits some points.

I put it in a quote to make it no so long on the initial load of the page.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Only thing i can think is that he doesn't press and/or move off the ball like Berhalter wants.....even if thats the case I don't see why you wouldn't bring him as a sub for when you need a goal. It's not like you're ever going to put in Pepi over Sarget or Ferreira unless things drastically change. 

6 hours ago, El Pollo Loco said:

Only thing i can think is that he doesn't press and/or move off the ball like Berhalter wants.....even if thats the case I don't see why you wouldn't bring him as a sub for when you need a goal. It's not like you're ever going to put in Pepi over Sarget or Ferreira unless things drastically change. 

15 hours ago, El Pollo Loco said:

I feel like this press argument has been lingering around for awhile. Beer needs to figure out a way to use his best players. Our style is fine, but eventually you have to adapt to what you have at your disposal. 

If Pefok doesn't end up in Qatar its malpractice. If you are going to make a run, there will be some point where you need a goal. Probably should have your best goal scorer in that case. 

Edited by Juicy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Greggg is a stubborn fool who believes his "system" (a mid-pressing 4-3-3 with dual 8s . . . how unique and revolutionary!!!!) is definitive in terms of roster selection.  Of course, the "system" is completely thrown out the window when we are tied 1-1 against Iran in the 70th minute and need a goal to advance.  Gregggg prefers Jordan Morris and Paul Arriola in a 26-man roster to Pefok.  That's all you need to know to confirm that the manager is in over his head.  Constantly overthinks the simple decisions.  Imagine even considering leaving out a striker on fire in the Bundesliga in favor of players in MLS, the Championship and Holland.  Moron.

The injuries to CCV and Richards are also a disaster for our WC prep.  We desperately needed one of those two to step us as Zimmerman's partner and now Long will have an uncontested opportunity to stake a claim to that spot.  Another example of Greggg's incompetence.  Goes with a comfort choice (a significantly below average CB in Long) when presented with a problem (losing his first choice CB). 

Buckle up gentlemen.  We went 5(W)-4(D)-3(L) in the CONCACAF octagonal excluding games against pathetic Honduras while scoring 1.17 GPG.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I am still just so perplexed. Is there any person in the world that thinks Pepi is better than Pefok? Like Pepi is 19, let him sit out, grow and hopefully he keeps developing, but damn it give your team the best chance to win. 

Gregg’s see the whole game, when looking at the striker position. 

I would like Pefok to be in the mix over Jordan Morris. That is his true competition. A late game sub who can be a bull in the box on crosses and corners, but even Morris is superior to Pefok in every other category. Pressing, hold up play, combination play, crossing, and even throwing his weight around. 

Pepi is a faster Josh Sargent and a bigger, stronger, taller Jesús Ferreira with a better shot. He doesn’t hold up the ball as well as Sargent, so instead he usually flicks the ball to an onrushing teammate and then immediately turns and sprints up field in the attack. Because of this, he usually receives the ball much closer to midfield rather than posting up deep in the field near the opponent’s box. 

Pepi & Ferreira play a very similar game. Pepi is more of a “true #9” while Jesús is more of a “false #9”… mainly because his shot isn’t as hard or as accurate.

There absolutely is a place for Pefok, but Gregg doesn’t want him. It is a very different distinction from John Brooks, who is a constant liability in the defensive third and who only excels with his head on crosses/corners and on long balls to the forward when given enough time. That’s not with the risk given the fact that we play a high line. He is just a huge liability. 

The high line is also what is keeping Aaron Long in the squad and Tim Ream out. With two CDs out, Ream would be the obvious choice to come in, but (1) Gregg wants speed from his CDs and (2) If Ream showed to be better than Long, and was looked to for guidance over Zimmerman, then Gregg’s defensive formation would crumble. There is no CD playing in a more competitive situation than Tim Ream as an every game starter in the EPL, and he’s not just competing, but he’s excelling for a promoted side. He absolutely should be in the squad… he actually should be anchoring the back line… which is why he wasn’t called in. 

#ShadesOfMaradona2010

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Gregg’s see the whole game, when looking at the striker position. 

I would like Pefok to be in the mix over Jordan Morris. That is his true competition. A late game sub who can be a bull in the box on crosses and corners, but even Morris is superior to Pefok in every other category. Pressing, hold up play, combination play, crossing, and even throwing his weight around. 

Pepi is a faster Josh Sargent and a bigger, stronger, taller Jesús Ferreira with a better shot. He doesn’t hold up the ball as well as Sargent, so instead he usually flicks the ball to an onrushing teammate and then immediately turns and sprints up field in the attack. Because of this, he usually receives the ball much closer to midfield rather than posting up deep in the field near the opponent’s box. 

Pepi & Ferreira play a very similar game. Pepi is more of a “true #9” while Jesús is more of a “false #9”… mainly because his shot isn’t as hard or as accurate.

There absolutely is a place for Pefok, but Gregg doesn’t want him. It is a very different distinction from John Brooks, who is a constant liability in the defensive third and who only excels with his head on crosses/corners and on long balls to the forward when given enough time. That’s not with the risk given the fact that we play a high line. He is just a huge liability. 

The high line is also what is keeping Aaron Long in the squad and Tim Ream out. With two CDs out, Ream would be the obvious choice to come in, but (1) Gregg wants speed from his CDs and (2) If Ream showed to be better than Long, and was looked to for guidance over Zimmerman, then Gregg’s defensive formation would crumble. There is no CD playing in a more competitive situation than Tim Ream as an every game starter in the EPL, and he’s not just competing, but he’s excelling for a promoted side. He absolutely should be in the squad… he actually should be anchoring the back line… which is why he wasn’t called in. 

#ShadesOfMaradona2010

"Gregg’s see the whole game, when looking at the striker position. "

Gergg can't see the forest for fucking the trees.

First on Maradona 2010, wasn't that the team that everyone wondered what the hell Maradona was doing? Wasn't Maradona considered not much of a manager? And wasn't that team considered a waste of a World Cup cycle for Argentina?

If Gergg had some skins on the wall, I could see the argument that his scheme is the end all be all and that players be damned. But he's never done anything of note as a manager (and take away his USMNT W-D-L record - YIKES!!!).

At this point, because GGG hasn't found a guy that "works" or is the easy pick,  the discussion on the 9 shouldn't be about fit in the system, or who has the right style of play, but who the hell is scoring goals and is in form.

We are in the final international window, 2 final games of semi-real experience. We should be testing out our starting 11 for Qatar and getting cohesion with our best players. Instead Gergg is worrying about the roster spots 20-26. WTF?!!??!

I considered the Brooks discussion closed because GGG is a dumbass, but you brought him up, so ... I disagree.

Given players that are now out and again, we are talking about 20-26 (for whatever reason, <Sonny Carl Davis voice> GreGG </SCD voice>), you bring in your talent. Brooks brings in experience, talent and speed. The counter point to his "liability" is that he can make up for that by getting back on defense once burned. Given that Ream is having a pretty good start at Fulham this year, I think he should get a look too for his experience.

Gergg is playing this system, but going into a World Cup, nothing he has done (and yes, that includes the NL and GC last year) shows me that his system is so great, it must be the end all, be all. And certainly not in terms of putting it ahead of putting our best players on the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Gergg is playing this system, but going into a World Cup, nothing he has done (and yes, that includes the NL and GC last year) shows me that his system is so great, it must be the end all, be all. And certainly not in terms of putting it ahead of putting our best players on the field.

THIS.... 

Every coach has their own philosophy, but the good coaches are the ones who can adapt that philosophy to fit their players. Put your best players out there and adjust. At the end of the game whoever has the most goals wins. Usually having guys that can score helps with that.

Pefok can't press.... OK well..... Pepi can't score..... You don't get points for pressing. Put the ball in the net, and your best players on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1) John Brooks is almost definitely the slowest outfield player in the USMNT player pool. 

I have no idea where anyone got the idea that he was fast. 

2) Brooks isn’t on the outside looking in just because he is slower than molasses on a winter’s day, but because he dogged it early in the qualifiers. AND…

[My Theory]I would think that he was in Pulisic’s and others’ ears about Gregg not having a Plan B, which Pulisic stated early in qualifying after a frustrating result. I don’t believe that Brooks was ever called in again after Pulisic’s rant.

3) I am fully aware of the irony regarding the flip on Tim Ream’s inclusion => lack of inclusion in the USMNT squad. I was an adamant “NO REAM!” fan, but two things: #1- He tended to be played at LB rather than CB, and #2- He is absolutely getting it done against top international talent this season playing CB for Fulham. 

We could even throw in a #3- He plays right next to Jedi Robison every day in practice and every big match for Fulham and just like Brendan Aaronson & Tyler Adams at Leeds, Walker Zimmerman & Shaq Moore (oops) at Nashville, Spain’s 2008-2012 national team at Barcelona, Germany’s Mannschaft & Bayern Munchen…

Having club teammates playing next to each other on the national team is a huge advantage.

. . . and that’s all that I have to say about that.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I've held my tongue on a lot of the call-up stuff and I guess it's because I don't have a lot to say about it. I will say the circus around not inviting Tim Ream and Jordan Pefok to the last camp before Qatar is rather entertaining. If those are the difference makers we need to make noise in November then we're fucked before we get off the plane. Say what you want about Gregg he generally puts the right players on the pitch. If either of those guys don't make the cut I promise that there is valid reasoning behind it. 

Let's see how we look on Friday.