USMNT 2022

Napoleon

22 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Is this supposed to show Long being terrible? Because really he looks mostly fine here. He under hits two passes (and the danger in the first one is really on Vines for sitting and waiting instead of coming to the bad pass) and then gets beat once defensively. Certainly not a great game but the problem this game was much more on the midfield trio than anyone else.

3 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Is this supposed to show Long being terrible? Because really he looks mostly fine here. He under hits two passes (and the danger in the first one is really on Vines for sitting and waiting instead of coming to the bad pass) and then gets beat once defensively. Certainly not a great game but the problem this game was much more on the midfield trio than anyone else.

goatsagggg

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Are you kidding? He looked very out matched in that video. He’s beaten a number of times. The only times I thought he looked good was when he had a lot more space or when the Japanese player had a lot more ground to make up and couldn’t. When it was close, Long was late.

And on the first goal, he doesn’t follow the ball on his pass. The pass back goes to where he is supposed to relieve pressure and doesn’t. It results in the turnover that starts the Japanese attack. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Are you kidding? He looked very out matched in that video. He’s beaten a number of times. The only times I thought he looked good was when he had a lot more space or when the Japanese player had a lot more ground to make up and couldn’t. When it was close, Long was late.

And on the first goal, he doesn’t follow the ball on his pass. The pass back goes to where he is supposed to relieve pressure and doesn’t. It results in the turnover that starts the Japanese attack. 

Completely serious. There were 16 "plays" in the video you linked. Long made two bad passes and let his man beat him on a run once. He was mostly fine and definitely not outmatched. You're crazy if you're placing any blame on Long for the goal. But it's clear that no matter what Long did, he (and Berhalter for including him) were going to be at fault to you.

The team played like shit and lost. The worst offenders were the midfield trio of Adams, Weston, and Luca. Long's performance only stands out to anyone who was already going to scapegoat him regardless of what happened.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Oh my God shut the fuck up about fucking John Brooks, Twitter. Everyone is losing their minds. People are giving more weight to random hypotheticals than what players have actually shown us on the pitch for the NT.

Brooks is probably the best ball-playing CB in the USMNT pool and everyone is freaking out after watching Long's comical attempts to play forward passes in Greggggg's build from the back through the middle system.  

28 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Brooks is probably the best ball-playing CB in the USMNT pool and everyone is freaking out after watching Long's comical attempts to play forward passes in Greggggg's build from the back through the middle system.  

He isn't the best anything. He's a total JAG that has demonstrated that he isn't good enough to stay on the field for us. At least Ream is playing at a decent level in the prem. 

Brooks has played THREE FUCKING MINUTES for club since May. We might as well throw Robinson out there without an Achilles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

My fears of when Gerg came on board are starting to come back. I feel like we’re about to have a massive coaching disadvantage against every team in the group. 

Iran fired their manager, and then had to bring him back because no one would take the job. If Gregg is at a disadvantage there we are in trouble

12 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Gotta finish that Jesus!!

12 hours ago, Juicy said:

that was a solid service.

obligatory.... Pefok would have scored there. :)  

12 hours ago, alincoln said:

Pefok buries that Jesus miss 9 times out of 10.  Our weaknesses exposed here in the early going.

12 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Pefok -OR- Pepi would have buried that. Jesus is not the kind of 9 we need with dest on the wing who provides pinpoint crossing

6 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

-4 inches is the xG 

Even with that Easter Island head of his, Jesús is listed at 5’9”.

Is he really even 5’9”? 
Well, Paul Arriola is actually about 5’4” (not talking “listed” with Arriola)…

43783B27-DB7F-4BF3-8DDF-26288AEF9389.thumb.jpeg.1296bb40bd04d03f0c2ebff3b53da511.jpeg

…and that ain’t 5’9”, even with the pompadour.

EVERY OTHER STRIKER would have at least put that cross on frame!

Pepi is listed as 6’1”…

1F406159-3E75-4E4F-82B0-53152B8FB22F.jpeg.29dd6211511e0fcdfe2857a71eb72a92.jpeg

…not sure if he’s 6’1”, but he is tall enough to get that ball on frame. His goal this past weekend was on a similar cross (but a corner from the other side).

Josh Sargent is also about the same height (listed as 6’1”) and is probably at least 4 inches taller that Jesús.

Jordan Pefok (6’4”), Haji Wright (6’3”), and Brendon Vazquez (6’3”) are all within 2 inches of their listed height, if not actually as tall as claimed (Pefok). You could add Timo Weah (6’1”-ish) and Jordan Morris to the group of guys tall enough to get that ball on frame.

Jesús Ferreira is the only player that even spends time in The 9 Zone who was too short to get that ball on frame… and he appears to be our locked in starter. 🙄 

5 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Ok so what team am I going to adopt and root for after we get bodied in the first round by Iran or Wales?

image.gif.854378b0b54e3bdb2671bfcc15a34f4d.gif

I will be online this week, buying my flag for The Cup, especially after today’s shit show. 

Edited by Napoleon

YouTubers make money from hours watched. Today’s performance has Max Bretos’ face saying-

“I’m not going to make shit from this World Cup.”

His usually tries to have an optimistic angle, but the final third of this video really lays it out that things could be grim. 

Tactical Manager 

¡Qué Golazo!

ESPN analysis 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So the other football board is gonna be unpleasant for a while. Let's hope our Nats win Tuesday else this whole place is gonna be a shitshow.

Basically every fucking game over the last two days went the opposite way that I wanted. If not for England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 & Germany 🇩🇪 losing in Nations League, I would have to give up sports. 

Watched the USA 🇺🇸 v Japan 🇯🇵 1st half last night, because I didn’t see it Friday morning. 👀

Holy Shit that was putrid. It reminded of the teams 10 to 32 years ago who just absolutely were outclassed anytime they played anyone outside of CONCACAF.

We looked like a college team playing a pro team. 

Basically every fucking game over the last two days went the opposite way that I wanted. If not for England & Germany losing in Nations League, I would have to give up sports. 
Watched the USA v Japan 1st half last night, because I didn’t see it Friday morning.
Holy Shit that was putrid. It reminded of the teams 10 to 32 years ago who just absolutely were outclassed anytime they played anyone outside of CONCACAF.
We looked like a college team playing a pro team. 

This entire weekend across every single sport has been nothing but shit!
  • Like 3

Gregg said he assumed team knew more than they did coming into Japan and have to go back to basics or something.  Not sure if that means he can't coach or our players are stupid, but it sounded bad.  That doesn't explain why Adams and McKennie played like such dogcrap last week.  Was worrisome but maybe it's out of their system. 

I leave Pereirra at home at this point.  I am just not seeing it on the national team, at least not yet. 

Setting Pefok aside, we know Musah, Jedi, and Weah are making the team if healthy.  I presume Chris Richards will, too.  That means Scally/Vines, EPB/McKenzie (Long is not getting cut, unfortunately), Arriola/Morris and I presume Cardoza are getting the axe.   

I think that Johnny Cardoso was brought in because:

1) They knew that no one would be screaming for his inclusion like might have happened had Erick Williamson come in and looked good.

2) It was an opportunity to look at him for the Olympic team in 2024. 

Other than those two reasons, I can’t figure out why he would have been brought in. He flew from Brazil to Germany just to look lost when James Sands could have come in and looked lost on a short flight coming from Scotland. 

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I'm guessing Miles Robinson is the fifth starter Gergg is missing for injury? Miles is definitely not going to be healthy by Qatar.

And that USMNT_STAN on Twitter should post here. His critiques/responses to Gergg's comments would get him to Surly 1% status in a week.

I sure as fuck hope that he isn’t including Zack Steffen in that missing 5.

Gregg kind of sucks.

Idiot gregggggg starting horribly out of form MLSer DeAndre Yedlin at RB instead of giving up and coming Bundesliga starter Joe Scally a chance and also sticks with Aaaaaron "average for MLS" Long at CB after his Japan abortion.  Two 6s as well in Adams and Acosta against freaking Saudi Arabia keeps Aaronson on the bench.  Real brave dickhead.  Gregggg is cancer.  He even looks like cancer if cancer had a face.  Cancer face.      

• Hook 'Em 1