USMNT 2022

Napoleon

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah but he's no Theoson Smith Sebatch whatever the fuck. 

Sargent found his level at the Championship just like Pepi found his in the Eredivisie and Wright found his in Turkey.  Pefok also scored goals for fun in the lower leagues (led the Swiss league in scoring last season).  Doing it in the Bundesliga is an entirely different proposition.  Just ask Pepi.  

It's great that our other striker options are scoring goals immediately before the World Cup but the international level is much closer to a top-five league in terms of defensive quality.  The England and Wales defenses will entirely consist of guys from Top-5 leagues and only Pefok has effectively competed at that level.  Greggg is bringing Pepi, Jesus and Sargent though so it is a bit of a moot point.

In any event, the fact that Aaron Long is going to start against Wales is a far bigger issue.  His defending on Vasquez's winning goal is mind-bogglingly awful.  Zero awareness at the critical moment in the game and no pace to compensate for his lack of awareness.   

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Mittens said:

The match is almost over and Pepi is still going at it on the high press. He gets the steal and heads up field (upfield?) to show for his teammate and/or pull a defender.

The defense sucks donkey nads of the dusty & sweaty level found on the donkey trail in Santorini (or Fira if you want to get technical), so really it is Pepi's teammate & Pepi vs the keeper. Pepi's teammate is so crap that an easy pass is so slow that the keeper almost is able to get to Pepi to block the shot, but Pepi prevails in the end.

All that teenager does is run continuously and score goals. Kind of like Ferreira, except for the "scores goals" part. (Okay, Jesús has a million goals this year, but even in the playoff match vs Minnesota he flubbed what seemed to be a sure goal.)

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The defense sucks donkey nads of the dusty & sweaty level found on the donkey trail in Santorini (or Fira if you want to get technical), so really it is Pepi's teammate & Pepi vs the keeper. Pepi's teammate is so crap that an easy pass is so slow that the keeper almost is able to get to Pepi to block the shot, but Pepi prevails in the end.

Egads! That first touch from Pepi's teammate ... even Gyasi Zardes thought it was heavy.

• Haha 3

It's not hard Greggg.  Play the best players in their best positions.

---------------Turner-------------------

--------CCV----------Ream------------

Dest---------------------------Robinson

---------Adams-------Musah-----------

Weah---------Gio/Aaronson-----Pulisic

----------------Pepi/Pefok--------------

Bench

McKennie

Gio/Aaronson

Pepi/Pefok

Sargent 

Acosta

Scally

Zimmerman

• Hook 'Em 3

I love Gio’s sauce when on the ball. You can tell that his offensive teammates love playing with him, but…

His first touch is shockingly mediocre at times. He’s no Gyasi Zardes, but there were too many times when his first touch sent the ball in the air to his chest level or 5 yards away, requiring him to scoot to stay with it rather than turning up field or having the ball on his foot so that he could instantly make a pass if needed/he wanted. 

The skill, vision, and trickeration [sic] are obvious and next level, but occasionally that first touch looked very American. 

Or it could be the touch of someone who hasn’t had any real time in games for over a year. 

i don’t remember his touch being an issue when he played before the injuries. I do remember him hanging on to the ball too long because he doesn’t trust his US teammates. 

Hope he plays in World Cup. He’s fun to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Crushing it!

Simply clinical.

As one of the Scuffed guys frequently says, Ferreira is the only one even getting in position to get shots. 

I have no idea where he would be expected to play if he ever got a transfer to a European club. 

In the off chance that Marsch gets fired before the World Cup, should the USMNT dump Gergg and hire him?

Depends on his interview. 

He would need to have a plan for putting the players in the best positions to succeed with the least amount of tactical management. 

Wynalda would be a dream come true on short notice. 

He understands the moment, played in Europe and the US, and should be able to connect with each player. 

The hypothetical is too far out there. No way that berhalter gets let go in less than a month, but my concern with Wynalda is that he would likely bench someone because they drew a pk thru the dark arts. He sure blows a lot of smoke about how unacceptable that is.

When looking at realistic options for 2026, I’ll take the guy who’s coaching Canada.

Not sure I trust Marsch to succeed in short term or long term. 

Depends on his interview. 
He would need to have a plan for putting the players in the best positions to succeed with the least amount of tactical management. 
Wynalda would be a dream come true on short notice. 
He understands the moment, played in Europe and the US, and should be able to connect with each player. 

Marsch isn’t getting fired before the WC, and if he does Leeds deserves to be relegated. Though w that said many of the Nats are coming into form right before the WC, sans Ferreira.

I hate to admit this, but Tim Ream might be our best bet at LCB at this time. I don't see how Aaron Long can even be on the plane based upon his recent performances for both club and country. 

------------Turner-------------

Dest--Zimmerman--Ream---Jedi

-----------Adams-------------

----Musah-------Weston-----

Aaronson-------------Pulisic

------------Pepi------------

Wild card is if Gio continues to stay healthy over the next 2-3 weeks. 

Yeah, so about that ...

This seems rather interesting. 

Analytics say that the team is performing better than last year, but they haven’t been lucky. Things look shitty, but rather than waiting until the World Cup break, they would make a move immediately. 

My guess is that this would be for two reasons:

1) Some other team is also looking to fire their coach and hire Sean.

2) They would want to give Sean a couple of weeks to get to know the team so they could then start pursuing players over the World Cup break that they could bring in during the January window. 

It is a bummer in my opinion. 

19 hours ago, Napoleon said:

This seems rather interesting. 

Analytics say that the team is performing better than last year, but they haven’t been lucky. Things look shitty, but rather than waiting until the World Cup break, they would make a move immediately. 

My guess is that this would be for two reasons:

1) Some other team is also looking to fire their coach and hire Sean.

2) They would want to give Sean a couple of weeks to get to know the team so they could then start pursuing players over the World Cup break that they could bring in during the January window. 

It is a bummer in my opinion. 

EPL owners are fucking nuts, but we already knew that. If thats the case, just fire him now.