USMNT 2022

Napoleon

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I think his form potentially suffered as a result of how many minutes he was playing for club and country. 

I agree with this. I'm not saying it's optimal for him to be the crux of the defense but if he was our 2nd best CB I don't think it would be a huge cause for concern. The fact that he's our best CB right now isn't his fault. 

Don't disagree.  In less than a year, he went from competing for a spot on the plane to ggg's unquestioned leader of the back line in the WC.  What pisses me off is that an experienced leader CB is readily available who could take some pressure off of Zimmerman and let him just focus on his game yet voldemort insists on Long.  It's absolutely baffling

Turner on the bench for arsenal today is a very good sign.  

Turner playing all 3 games is key for chances to advance 

The gap between Turner and Steffen is much larger than any of the other positional choices. The four potential forwards are all limited in different ways but none of them stand apart. LCB is a clusterfuck due to injuries so having Turner in goal is necessary.

Ream and Zimmerman are the best choices at CB but there is no speed and no chemistry. But that’s better than playing a right footed player on the left who no longer has speed and cannot distribute.

I know that Gregg favors Steffen but playing him with any of the cb’s could be disastrous.  I hate to root for a player to get mildly injured and will not do so here, but it is tempting.   

What's your preferred World Cup 26?  Not your projection but who you would actually select.

GK: Turner, Steffen, Horvath

FB: Dest, Cannon, Robinson, Scally, Yedlin

CB: Zimmerman, Ream, CCV, Richards 

CM: Adams, Musah, McKennie, Acosta, DLT (Mihailovic if DLT injured), Tillman

Wing: Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Weah 

9: Pepi, Pefok, Sargent (also an option at RW), Vazquez

My 24-26 were Tillman, Vazquez and Yedlin, respectively.  Tillman provides something different than the other options at CM.  I don't need another hold it together back-up like Acosta and DLT.  Tillman can carry the ball forward.  I would rather play Sargent at RW than Arriola so we would need another 9 if Sargent plays on the wing.  I prefer someone who can score (Vazquez) to someone who can't (Jesus) as my 9.  FB strikes me as an area where we could lose some guys to injury so we should probably add someone there.  Yedlin wasn't good this season but he has World Cup experience.  He wouldn't play for my team absent some bizarre developments so leadership/experience is enough to get him on the plane as the last guy on the roster.

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

What's your preferred World Cup 26?  Not your projection but who you would actually select.

GK: Turner, Steffen, Horvath

CB: Zimmerman, Ream, CCV, Richards 

CM: Adams, Musah, McKennie, Acosta, DLT (Mihailovic if DLT injured), Tillman

Wing: Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Weah 

9: Pepi, Pefok, Sargent (also an option at RW), Vazquez

My 24-26 were Tillman, Vazquez and Yedlin, respectively.  Tillman provides something different than the other options at CM.  I don't need another hold it together back-up like Acosta and DLT.  Tillman can carry the ball forward.  I would rather play Sargent at RW than Arriola so we would need another 9 if Sargent plays on the wing.  I prefer someone who can score (Vazquez) to someone who can't (Jesus) as my 9.  FB strikes me as an area where we could lose some guys to injury so we should probably add someone there.  Yedlin wasn't good this season but he has World Cup experience.  He wouldn't play for my team absent some bizarre developments so leadership/experience is enough to get him on the plane as the last guy on the roster.

I wouldn't even put Steffen on the plane. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You'd rather whoever the fuck is after Horvath be on the plane? You have to take 3 GKs. Steffen is the #2 (clear cut, IMO), we just need to get past that and hope Turner does not get injured and GGG isn't THAT stupid.

The #2 GK is largely irrelevant 99 times out of a 100.

2 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

You'd rather whoever the fuck is after Horvath be on the plane? You have to take 3 GKs. Steffen is the #2 (clear cut, IMO), we just need to get past that and hope Turner does not get injured and GGG isn't THAT stupid.

This is where I am.  He has been fine to good over his last five games and we have no one else.  

31 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Well, if I was the coach in this hypothetical exercise then sure, he makes the trip. But if I'm picking a roster to hand over to Greg the fact that Steffen would even be available terrifies me. 

I guess it's a fairly moot point as if Turner can't go we're probably fucked. 

I just don't understand the continued hand wringing about our #2 GK. The #3 striker is a far more important and meaningful decision than the #2 GK (most likely). The #3 striker will have a chance for meaningful minutes at meaningful times - when we're chasing a goal, late in the game.

To that end, I think @alincoln has a good list, I would just organize it slightly differently.

#9 - Pepi, Sargent, Pefok 

Wing - Pulisic, Weah

CAM - Reyna, Aaronson, Tillman

MF - M, M, A, LDLT, Acosta

FB - Dest, Scally, Robinson, Cannon, Yedlin

CB - Ream, CCV, Richards, Zimmerman

GK - Turner, Steffen, Horvath

That's 25, so room for 1 more. Need some another true winger or another #9 if we treat Sargent as a winger. I guess that means Ferreira and (gasp) Arriola are next up.

Edit: lots of flexibility here, obviously - CP10 can play centrally, Reyna/Aaronson can play wide, McKennie can play attacking mid, etc etc... 

Edit 2: the more I look at this, we have a really solid damn team. It's amazing that we're all convinced that getting out of the group stage is a major win, largely because of the man in charge.

Edited by dieucla98

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

2 hours ago, alincoln said:

This is where I am.  He has been fine to good over his last five games and we have no one else.  

FYI - Sean Johnson an MLS journeyman with NYCFC and Gabriel Slonina (Chicago Fire) are seen as the next guys on the list. I would be OK with either. Johnson ideally if the two.

By the way, here is my gergggg prediction (changes in bold):

GK: Turner, Steffen, Johnson

CB: Zimmerman, Long, CCV, Richards 

CM: Adams, Musah, McKennie, Acosta, Roldan 

Wing: Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Weah, Arriola, Morris 

9: Pepi, Ferreira, Sargent 

I switched Tillman for Morris at the last second because gerrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggg

This is what worries me about Gergg - 

Final Spots (Two of LDLT / Morris / Roldan / Pefok / Arriola) 25. 26.

There are only 2 correct answers there and I worry that he takes neither.

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

Good thing we spent 6 pages freaking out about him not going to Qatar in here. 

To be fair the all that talk with him not being in camps wasn't specifically HIM not going, but the continuance of running Long out there, who at this point has demonstrated he has not business being on the roster. Wasting a spot on Long is really troubling and demonstrates how little Gregg has learned. It's why I still worry about the final spots.

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

To be fair the all that talk with him not being in camps wasn't specifically HIM not going, but the continuance of running Long out there, who at this point has demonstrated he has not business being on the roster. Wasting a spot on Long is really troubling and demonstrates how little Gregg has learned. It's why I still worry about the final spots.

And Ream is only going because Richards is injured.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

100% I just came to post this 

7 minutes ago, Juicy said:

My shits borked. 

With LDLT hurt I would honestly love going only two GK (I know, I know it will never happen) and being able to bring Pefok, LDLT, and as insane as it sounds Nipple.... give me an extra player over a 3rd keeper who if you have to play you are fucked anyway. 

Edited by Juicy

29 minutes ago, Juicy said:

My shits borked. 

With LDLT hurt I would honestly love going only two GK (I know, I know it will never happen) and being able to bring Pefok, LDLT, and as insane as it sounds Nipple.... give me an extra player over a 3rd keeper who if you have to play you are fucked anyway. 

FIFA rules require you bring 3 GK. The US is also not super fucked if the 3rd GK has to play. The difference between Turner/Steffen and Johnson/Horvath isn't a situation where you might as well just not play the game if you have to go to 3rd or 4th string GK.

Edited by goatsaag
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

FIFA rules require you bring 3 GK. The US is also not super fucked if the 3rd GK has to play. The difference between Turner/Steffen and Johnson/Horvath isn't a situation where you might as well just not play the game if you have to go to 3rd or 4th string GK.

I think if the US gets into a situation where we aren't playing Turner we are fucked. We don't even need to get to the 3rd keeper to be in a bad spot if our number one guy can't go. I love Horvath, but don't want to see him coming out from under his nice little airconditioned dugout in 2 weeks. 

The GKs and D are exactly as expected except Ream comes in for an injured Richards.

No real surprises in MF or F except that LDLT is healthy enough to make the team but Gregggg still thinks he needs to bring Roldan.  Also no room for Pefok as expected or Arriola or Morris (I really thought one of them would go).  All of this suggests that Greggggg is entirely wedded to his 4-3-3 system with two 8s with Reyna and Aaronson playing exclusively on the wing instead of potentially as a 10.  

10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

And Gergg is only the second person in the world who thinks Roldan is a WC-caliber player.

There's two? Because I've got on a good word that even his mom doesn't think he should be on the WC roster.

As a whole, my view is that this roster might be able to get us out of the group stage, but we are going to do it on pluck and luck. I don't think it plays to our strengths and it certainly isn't our best roster.

What really blows my mind is that Ream and Roldan are perfect examples of what is wrong with Gergg. Instead of using the summer and final two tuneup games to get his roster to gel, he runs out guys that ultimately don't make it and now has to integrate two players who haven't played with the team in months.

EDIT: add Scally to that list. While he was on the roster recently, he only has TWO CAPS. EVER. WTF are you doing Gergg?

Edited by Captain Ron

To be fair to gregg, which I generally avoid, Ream is only on the roster due to Richards' injury.  Richards has confirmed that he is missing out due to injury. Similarly, Roldan is an injury policy for LDLT and McKennie who are both returning from muscle injuries that could easily flare up during the WC.

Neither of those guys are in the 26 w/o the injuries.

My biggest concern remains Long and Jesus as likely starters and the insistence on the dual 8 system (which as noted above is basically confirmed by the player selection).