USMNT 2022

Napoleon

19 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Iran is not nearly as bad as they looked yesterday. Everyone thinking Wales getting points friday is a given could be in for a surprise. 

We want Iran to win friday, then it is as simple as win against Iran and we are in. 

I don't understand why everyone is assuming Wales will be better than the US against the same two opponents. We were the better side for the slight majority of that game yesterday. xG was similar. We scored from open play. They scored on a pen from a dumb challenge. 

A few things to consider for all of the "England squad rotation" doomers:

- Gareth Bale had played about 1,200 minutes for club and country in all of 2022 going into the WC. Going 270 in 10 days could be problematic. 

- The US has younger legs and better athletes despite a couple guys not being 100% fit. Getting England out of the way could be advantageous. We will have a fitness advantage against Iran that Wales will not have against England. 

- Wales plays Iran at 2pm local time on Friday - temps are forecasted around 85 which could be a potential advantage for Iran. The flipside is that we get England at night when it will be cooler. 

This feels very coin-flippy to me and it isn't out of the realm of possibility that we could be in the driver's seat after Friday's matches. Of course Wales could be, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't understand why everyone is assuming Wales will be better than the US against the same two opponents. We were the better side for the slight majority of that game yesterday. xG was similar. We scored from open play. They scored on a pen from a dumb challenge. 

- Wales plays Iran at 2pm local time on Friday - temps are forecasted around 85 which could be a potential advantage for Iran. The flipside is that we get England at night when it will be cooler. 

This feels very coin-flippy to me and it isn't out of the realm of possibility that we could be in the driver's seat after Friday's matches. Of course Wales could be, too. 

I think this part is huge. Wales playing in 120 degree heat, cooled field or not is going to be tough. 

6 minutes ago, Juicy said:

i swear i was reading that it was 120 degrees and that was why they have such fucked up times. 

Guess I was looking at what the temps would have been in July. Womp womp

Nah. Times are due to time zones/TV audience. They could play a very normal schedule of games if they wanted but then you'd have them starting at like 2 am central US time.

13 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

I’m out of town right now, but is there a public setup anywhere in Austin for the US games? I could have sworn they had something at Auditorium Shores in 2014.

Cant speak to elsewhere but I think they’re doing one at Parmer field. Up in "North Austin" (*cough* Pflugerville).

1 hour ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

I’m out of town right now, but is there a public setup anywhere in Austin for the US games? I could have sworn they had something at Auditorium Shores in 2014.

like one of them bad ass places they always show in KC and shyt? idk

but hopsquad near Q2 had 300 folks ( at least thats what it looked on on their IG)

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

like one of them bad ass places they always show in KC and shyt? idk

but hopsquad near Q2 had 300 folks ( at least thats what it looked on on their IG)

i was there. its wasn't 300 but it was loud af and they put the outdoor screen inside because of rain and it was awesome. no bad seat/standing spot to watch the game.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

¡Callate boludo!

¡Nadie quiere escucharte y tu boca de mierda!

Meanwhile, in Qatar, some people are trying to start a dumpster fire to change the subject. 

F176CC6F-1DBA-4BC2-B544-E854DCBDA4F3.jpeg

Yo estoy estudiando espanol por que tengo una nieta en la primera grada adonde la media de la clase habla el inglés como idioma principal y la otra media habla el español como idioma principal.  Mi nieta tiene seis anos.  Quiero hablar con ella en espanol y ella esta aprendiendo muy rapido.  Estoy retirado y es un buen ejercicio a estudiar español cada dia.. Mantiene mi cerebro trabajando tan bien como se puede esperar de un hombre de mi edad.  Entendi lo que escribiste……. pendejo.              

*Full disclosure* I did have to look up some of the words.

• Like 3

It's been stated by others but the idea that Wales waltzes to three points against Iran is silly. Iran is much better than they played against England and Wales kinda sucks. They have a lot of heart and are physical but I think a draw is the most likely result for them on Friday.

Heard someone comment the other day that the USMNT never wins games in which they don't play well the entire 90 minutes. If it's the classic "tale of two halves", we always drop points. That makes sense, given our youth and lack of experience on the biggest stage, but it would be nice to see us pull out a smash and grab every once and awhile and win some matches when we've not been the best team.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

It's been stated by others but the idea that Wales waltzes to three points against Iran is silly. Iran is much better than they played against England and Wales kinda sucks. They have a lot of heart and are physical but I think a draw is the most likely result for them on Friday.

Heard someone comment the other day that the USMNT never wins games in which they don't play well the entire 90 minutes. If it's the classic "tale of two halves", we always drop points. That makes sense, given our youth and lack of experience on the biggest stage, but it would be nice to see us pull out a smash and grab every once and awhile and win some matches when we've not been the best team.

Iran put 2 in the back against England despite only getting 22% possession. Their striker is a really, really good player. 

Listening to Jimmy Conrad’s podcast and they have aaronson in for Mckinnie. He would be in front of a dual 6 of Adams and Musah. Also have Weah at the 9 and Gio in his place on the wing.

I think that’s spot on. Enough dedicated defenders but Musah can still dribble out to relieve pressure. Aaronson can press like he’s known for and you actually have a better chance to counter them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Weah at the 9 is the new "thing" that apparently is making the rounds. It doesn't make any sense. He's never been very good as a solo forward and is the perfect right wing for this team. His role should be exactly what it was against Wales, we should just actually get him the ball more when he has space. It's not reasonable to think we're going to completely overhaul the way we play with putting Weah at the 9. Maybe if we went to a two forward system, but again, we're not about to change that much about the way we play.

The lineup against England should be the same as the lineup against Wales but with Aaronson over Weston. Reyna is the planned 60 minute sub in for Weah and Weston likely comes in at the same time if it seems like either Aaronson or Pulisic need to come out (or maybe for Musah if he's fading and we feel we need to go all out for offense but an Aaronson/Weston pairing ahead of Adams is asking so much of Adams).

If we're panicking and throwing experimental shit at the wall, Reyna as a false 9 with Weah in his normal spot on the wing is way more appealing to me that Weah at the 9. Honestly, give me Weston as a 9 over Weah for this team.

21 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Weah at the 9 is the new "thing" that apparently is making the rounds. It doesn't make any sense. He's never been very good as a solo forward and is the perfect right wing for this team. His role should be exactly what it was against Wales, we should just actually get him the ball more when he has space. It's not reasonable to think we're going to completely overhaul the way we play with putting Weah at the 9. Maybe if we went to a two forward system, but again, we're not about to change that much about the way we play.

The lineup against England should be the same as the lineup against Wales but with Aaronson over Weston. Reyna is the planned 60 minute sub in for Weah and Weston likely comes in at the same time if it seems like either Aaronson or Pulisic need to come out (or maybe for Musah if he's fading and we feel we need to go all out for offense but an Aaronson/Weston pairing ahead of Adams is asking so much of Adams).

If we're panicking and throwing experimental shit at the wall, Reyna as a false 9 with Weah in his normal spot on the wing is way more appealing to me that Weah at the 9. Honestly, give me Weston as a 9 over Weah for this team.

I’m not sure I agree re: Weah. At this point, you need your best players on the field, even if it’s for the 2nd half. I’d much rather have Gio on the field the Ferreira. Keeping Weah on the shoulder of their slow center backs is a matchup I like.  

• Hook 'Em 1

After watching this video, I’m not convinced in Weah playing forward. He is more dangerous from the wing. Pulisic in particular just made several poor decisions and missed him except for that one time. Give me Reyna in the middle and bring in Aaronson to spell him at 60.  We don’t have a forward who can score so we need one to press, defend and be physical.  Sargent I guess. We seem to be fucked either Weah.

12 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Pulisic in particular just made several poor decisions and missed him except for that one time.

I didn't see Pulisic make 4 bad decisions all game. He played in a bunch of poor balls from set pieces (that he shouldn’t be taking) but in the open field he did almost all we can ask of him. There were probably a couple of plays he fucked up but "several" is a reach. If you'd like to point them out for us then go ahead. We would have been dead in the water without him on Monday. 

I understand holding him to a high standard but we have other extremely talented players and CP constantly draws criticism despite being the focus of the opposing D every time he touches the pitch. He wasn't perfect on Monday - he can be better - but he played his fucking ass off and secured a point for us despite the entire attack looking disjointed (like always). 

Edited by ztejas

Iran is not nearly as bad as they looked yesterday. Everyone thinking Wales getting points friday is a given could be in for a surprise. 
We want Iran to win friday, then it is as simple as win against Iran and we are in. 

Win today and a tie Monday puts us through.

Lose it tie today and beating Iran puts us through.

I am pretty sure heading in to the World Cup anyone would have taken the beat Iran and you are through path.
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

Win today and a tie Monday puts us through.

Lose it tie today and beating Iran puts us through.

I am pretty sure heading in to the World Cup anyone would have taken the beat Iran and you are through path.

If we lose today and beat Iran, we're on 4 points and Iran is on 3.

Wales could beat England and also be on 4 points, in which case it would come down to GD.

Wales is currently at -2 so in that scenario, their GD would be no worse than -1, and we would need to beat Iran by as many goals as England beats us by.

If we lose today and beat Iran, we're on 4 points and Iran is on 3.
Wales could beat England and also be on 4 points, in which case it would come down to GD.
Wales is currently at -2 so in that scenario, their GD would be no worse than -1, and we would need to beat Iran by as many goals as England beats us by.

I’m assuming that wales is not beating England. England wants at least a tie to ensure they top the group.

Today a tie or a loss is basically the same. Beat Iran and we are through. (Most likely)

10 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

He did have that- “What the fuck were you thinking?!

Foul near the end of the game as he and another American were guarding an English guy going back toward the sideline/midfield that allowed England a set piece in a fairly dangerous area. 

That had me screaming: “What the fuck?! WHY?!!?!!”

Other than that, he was very solid. 

SIDE NOTE:

Jesús Ferreira is killing it up top. 

• Like 1