USMNT 2022

Napoleon

2 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

11 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I love CP10 but Tyler Adams is the real Captain America.

He is the American Javier Mascherano, pero más flaco y más oscuro.

He makes the midfield his house and you’re likely going to get run out of there at some point. And he makes sure that his teammates do their jobs as well (in the best of times).

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

He makes the midfield his house and you’re likely going to get run out of there at some point. And he makes sure that his teammates do their jobs as well (in the best of times).

Was fun watching him terrorize the English lads 

• Hook 'Em 1

i keep seeing this:

956F4AD6-7C5F-4CD5-BBE1-1D4516F43C03.thumb.jpeg.198e612b24775cc0bfe38a6bb1de659d.jpeg

posted everywhere, and i don't get it, because i know that i'm far from the only one who doesn't agree. i'm one of many people who openly wondered if we would even survive the group stage. everyone i know who follows this team has always believed that we could win lose or draw all three of these games. the idea of needing a win to advance on the final day would have sounded terrifying to me before the tourney started, and i'm still terrified now. who here can truly say that they have supreme confidence that we will beat Iran? i'm sick of seeing this take everywhere. we aren't Brazil or France. this is Gregg Berhalter's USMNT. nothing is a given. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i keep seeing this:

956F4AD6-7C5F-4CD5-BBE1-1D4516F43C03.thumb.jpeg.198e612b24775cc0bfe38a6bb1de659d.jpeg

posted everywhere, and i don't get it, because i know that i'm far from the only one who doesn't agree. i'm one of many people who openly wondered if we would even survive the group stage. everyone i know who follows this team has always believed that we could win lose or draw all three of these games. the idea of needing a win to advance on the final day would have sounded terrifying to me before the tourney started, and i'm still terrified now. who here can truly say that they have supreme confidence that we will beat Iran? i'm sick of seeing this take everywhere. we aren't Brazil or France. this is Gregg Berhalter's USMNT. nothing is a given. 

From the jump I expected to get out of this group. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I thought England would beat the US by 2 goals so I'm okay. It wasn't gonna be easy.

I thought that we would lose 4-0 after watching England humiliate the Iranians as much as they have at any time since they overthrew the democratically elected president of Iran back in 1953… (with the U.S.’s help).

I was pleased to be wrong.

The Spanish/French wife of my English former flatmate posted in our text group that

El guiri está sufriendo.”
(“The foreigner is suffering.” He’s a “foreigner” because he is tall, blond, pasty, and English and they live in Madrid.)

My buddy wrote afterwards:

1C1F98AD-0B7C-4C08-9358-727687D1BEF4.thumb.jpeg.240ba69d28f227dc48051fae1717dc1e.jpeg

“They could have done.” is so quirky Brit rather than saying:

“They could have.”  Is that “done” really necessary?

But here’s an English guy who felt that we could have defeated them if we had really tried. 

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

We are kicking irans ass

CP brace. With a Weston header

I am not wear my reading glasses 🤓 and at first glance, I read that first sentence as:

”We are kicking trans ass.””

👀

I wasn’t entirely sure what brought that on. 

Regarding the Iran match:

I hope that the teams channel the first halves of their first matches of The Cup on Tuesday. We need some goals. Right now only Weah has a goal.

Puli needs a goal, even if it is a PK. He needs one. It would have been great to see him score against England in a shutout win. How do you play Mason Mount over him when he returns to Chelsea?

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

That's a good comp. I keep seeing Kante thrown around but TA isn't quite box to box like Kante was in his prime - just not nearly as dangerous in attack. I think he's maybe a better defender, though. 

36 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's a good comp. I keep seeing Kante thrown around but TA isn't quite box to box like Kante was in his prime - just not nearly as dangerous in attack. I think he's maybe a better defender, though. 

Wherever you see Kante’s name being mentioned, tell them that they are inbred cunts who don’t know shit about football.

That should set the record straight. People like to be publicly called out and corrected so that they don’t make that mistake in the future. 

22 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Fuck Gerg.  If I ever see him in public, get my bail money ready.

He's the manager, and as the manager he determines who plays. But for fucks sake, have some goddamn confidence in your decisions instead of making shit up and asking the player you are fucking over to go along with your bitch made excuses. 

• Like 1

I was watching the match at work yesterday, and while I did not get to see the entirety of it, what I did see looked pretty one-sided as far as which team was outplaying the other. The US deserved to win that one. England looked like a hot mess and their goalie looked like he was going to have a coronary everytime the US took a shot. 

On 11/25/2022 at 10:53 PM, shadow_operative said:

i keep seeing this:

let me rewrite it to see if the perspective makes any moar sense.....

"if the US looked spectacular going forward with a dozen shots on goal, hit wood multiple times, and totally dominated wales and england going forward while also looking like a defensive catastrophe, conceding a dozen shots, which england or wales each converted once, thus losing 1-0 and drawing 0-0, and the US still had the opportunity to beat Iran and advance, we'd all take it in a heartbeat"......   substitute "beat wales" or "beat england" and the statement has different context

also, not being brazil and not being france are non-sequiturs.

"the idea of needing a win to advance on the final day would have sounded terrifying to me before the tourney started and i'm still terrified now"....

if you are a fan of the nats you've been terrified for 32 years

how is this different than "the idea of needing a result to advance on the final day..." ????   now here, written this way, not being a massive side (goalposts moved from brazil/france to "massive sides" i.e. prior winners), IS relevant, because every other nation on the planet (not a prior winner) that has qualified for every playing of the mundial format that began in '98 has started each tournament expecting to need a result on matchday 3 to advance

here in '22 on 6 points from matchday 2: france

can still do it: spain, brazil/suisse, portugal

+++

history of advancing with 6 points from matchday 2....  6 iterations, 8 groups per iteration, 4 teams per group = 192 teams in those 6 tournaments

98 (3+2=5): argentina, brazil, france, nigeria, romania

02: (2+1=3) brazil, spain, aggy

06: (4+2=6) argentina, brazil, england, germany, spain, nederland, portugal

10: (2+2=4) argentina, brazil, chile, nederland

14: (2+5=7) argentina, france, belgium, chile, colombia, costa rica, nederland

18: (3+3=6) england, france, uruguay, belgium, croatia, aggy

31 of 192 won their first 2 matches

16%

winning your first 2 matches in the '96-'22 format and thus clinching advancement on matchday 2 and not needing anything on matchday 3 is never expected or set as a goal by the federations, the coaches or the players.  no one "expects" to do it.  the press and fanbases of massive sides wishcast it to happen but know they probably have to get something on matchday 3.

+++

oh, but a draw is easier than a win.  you have to score to win.  you don't have to score to draw.

welp, whoever you are playing matchday 3 is probably going to try to score.

Spoiler

soccer america confidential

Saturday, November 26, 2022

Maturity shown by USA in England tie bodes well for Iran clash

by Brian Sciaretta

The United States played England to a 0-0 draw on Friday in Qatar to set up a pivotal final group stage game against Iran where a win, and only a win, will secure a berth in the knockout stages of the World Cup. The result against England told one story but the far more revealing story was how the team played.

This was not the case of a 0-0 draw where a smaller team managed to bunker its way to a result against a superior team. Instead, this was a result of two teams who went toe-to-toe with each other. In the end, both teams had chances, but most of the best opportunities were for the Americans. After all, the U.S. hit the crossbar once and had a wide edge in corners

Finding another level

There is a lot to take away from this game for Gregg Berhalter’s side and here are my thoughts.

Advertisement

One of the biggest stories regarding the U.S. team that emerged from the England game is that there was a huge step up in maturity from the Wales game. It is not a question of talent for the U.S. team right now, rather, it is putting it all together. Against Wales, the U.S. team showed some naivety in the second half. After a very good first half where the U.S. controlled the game, the team looked lost when Wales was able to find another gear. The team struggled to find a way to respond until Wales found its goal.

Against England, the U.S. found a way to respond and stay even with the Group B top seed. After a solid first half where the U.S. team had the better of chances followed by a strong start to the second half (evidenced by a wave of corners), England found a way to start taking control of the game. When Gareth Southgate subbed Jack Grealish and Jordan Henderson into the game in the 68th minute, England had their most consistent run.

But unlike the Wales game, the U.S. team found a way to push back and get off its backfoot. A long stretch of minutes without a whistle prevented the U.S. team from making subs but when Brenden Aaronson entered the game in the 77th minute, it was important to giving the U.S. team more explosiveness on the counterattack.

For the final 15 minutes, the U.S. team was back on even terms. It was a huge departure from the Wales game where the U.S. team was hanging on to dear life for 30 minutes before caving in and conceding the equalizer. The U.S. regained composure in this one and that is a big testament to the maturity of this group to regain control.

Commitment to midfield defense

One of the biggest stories for the U.S. team so far at the World Cup has been a commitment to defense among the team’s midfielders. Yes, Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie, Yunus Musah and Aaronson off the bench (along with Kellyn Acosta in the Wales game) have been impressive in their passing and helping the U.S. team have longer spells of possession, but the defense in the midfield has been outstanding.

Part of it has been in duel winning and applying pressure, but a lot of it has been straight up hustle to get back into defensive position after an attacking possession has been lost. It has greatly eased pressure on the backline.

Adams has been instrumental in the group stage and is making a big name for himself in Qatar. But against England, the biggest improvement between the first and second game was McKennie. While there have been questions over his health and fitness, he had a much better outing against England. It was a big risk to start him against England while playing on a yellow card. McKennie gave England problems for about 70 minutes before fading and being subbed out.

The one concern in the midfield is Musah, who needs to get on the ball more. His defense for the U.S. team is at its highest level since committing his international future to the Stars and Stripes, but he was only able to get on the ball 46 times against England over 90 minutes and that was the least active out of all the midfielders. Getting him more involved is probably the biggest source of unlocked potential for the U.S. team.

Offensive concerns continue

As everyone knows, the United States needs to score and defeat Iran to advance. That means big concerns over the team’s offense to find the back of the net. These concerns are well founded. The team has just one goal over 180 minutes in Qatar. The team did not score in its two friendlies against Japan and Saudi Arabia in September. So right now, it is one goal in 360 minutes.

Iran only needs a draw to advance to the knockouts so there are good chances that they are going to play more conservatively with a compact formation and a low block. It should be far different than how England and Wales played the United States.

The U.S. team should have plenty of the ball but will have limited chances with open field in front of it.

Berhalter had a lot of concerns for the U.S. team heading into Qatar. Some, like central defense, have resolved themselves sufficiently. But center forward continues to be a big concern. Haji Wright got the start against England and generally was lackluster. He had just 18 touches over his 83 minutes, completed six passes, and didn’t force a save in either of his two shots (the first was a header missed wide and the second was a blocked shot).

Against Iran, there is a decent chance Berhalter goes with either Jesus Ferreira or reverts back to Sargent. Ferreira doesn’t give the size or strength, but he will get on the ball more and connect with the wingers. Sargent, however, could give the U.S. team more of a presence in the box at a time when Iran sits deeper.

But that brings us to another point in that set pieces have still not produced shots or chances for the U.S. team. Christian Pulisic’s deliveries into the box were improved than against Wales, but they still could be better.

Against Iran, it could be even more important. If Iran sits back and the U.S. team has the ball, they could have more set pieces than in their previous two games. They are certainly due for good shots off set pieces and if Pulisic can hit his corners as he was hitting his best against England, they’ll be in good shape.

In terms of who is on the other end of the corners, Walker Zimmerman and McKennie remain the best targets. It also might be Sargent’s best case to start given that he can be a physical presence in the box as well.

Backline chemistry

The backline remains a big positive for the U.S. team and Berhalter should continue with the Tim Ream-Zimmerman pairing in the middle with Sergino Dest and Antonee Robinson on the outside. There is talent but there is also a surprising degree of chemistry developing. All four played well against England even if Robinson’s crossing was still a little off.

The Ream-Zimmerman partnership is especially encouraging given that the two have rarely played together. Ream, at 35, has been one of the most positive and surprising stories on the U.S. team despite being away from the team for 15 months before arriving in Qatar. He is playing at a very high level and you can sense the maturity he brings defensively. He’s been calm on the ball and in this game, he was wise in his decision making to get forward and how to the ball forward. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for in intelligence.

As for Zimmerman, he made a big mistake against Wales on the penalty but aside from that, played well leading up to that point. In the England game, he was much better defensively. His block on Harry Kane in the 10th minute denied England one of its two best chances in the game. He missed on some of his attempts to pass the ball into advanced positions and that needs to get better but defensively, he was important.

As far as the fullbacks, Robinson’s chemistry with Ream has helped him on both sides of the ball. He is stretching defenses and has an incredible motor to get back on the defensive side. If he can deliver quality crosses against Iran, it could prove to be the difference because the chances will be there. Dest, meanwhile, is very active offensively and while he has had some shaky moments defending 1v1 situations, his quality is there.

Holding England scoreless at the World Cup is no small accomplishment and no one in the back can be poor to pull that off. Against Iran, expect the team to try to play a higher line and that will put Ream and Zimmerman into different situations where they might not be comfortable. But overall, the backline is where Berhalter wants it to be heading into the pivotal game.

Spoiler

My 3 Thoughts on USMNT-England

Grant Wahl

Nov 25

Matt Turner showed again why he’s a deserving No. 1 in the goalkeeper position (Photo by Adam Pretty - FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images)

AL-KHOR, Qatar — The USMNT tied England 0-0 on Matchday 2 of the World Cup on Monday. Here are my three thoughts on the game:

GrantWahl.com is reader-supported. Free and paid subscriptions are available. This is how I make a living, and quality journalism and traveling to Qatar require resources. The best way to support me and my work is by taking out a paid subscription now.

Upgrade to Paid

Give a gift subscription

• The U.S. outplayed England, which is great, but it also means this was another frustrating tie. For the second time in two World Cup games, the U.S. will come away thinking it was a missed opportunity not to get three points. The Americans were the better team against one of the favorites to win the World Cup, creating more and better goal-scoring opportunities, and that should give U.S. fans plenty of optimism about this group. (The U.S. had an expected goals advantage of 0.61 to 0.36.) But England and a chance to garner global respect was absolutely there for the taking, and the U.S. just couldn’t put one in the back of the net. In the first half, Christian Pulisic banged the crossbar and Weston McKennie hit a close-in shot over the bar. And in the second half the U.S. took total control of the game for about 10 minutes with a series of corner kicks and not letting England get the ball out of its own half. But the Americans just couldn’t seal the deal with a piece of exquisite quality in the attacking third. Even heading into the game, the U.S. (two points) knew a win against resurgent Iran (three points) in the group-stage finale would likely be necessary to advance from the group. That’s now the case. But the fact is that the U.S. will rightly think that its performances in these first two games should have produced at least four and maybe six points instead of two, and we should be talking now about the possibility of winning the group and setting up an advantageous Round of 16 matchup.

• Berhalter waited too long to start making subs. For the second straight game, the U.S. coach could have handled his substitutions better. Even allowing for the fact that continuous play kept the U.S. subs waiting for a while, Berhalter waited too long (until the 77th minute) to make his first subs (Brenden Aaronson for McKennie and Shaq Moore for Sergiño Dest). For many minutes by that time, several U.S. players like Tim Weah, McKennie and Yunus Musah looked tired. Gregg, you’ve got five subs! You’ve got more quality depth available to you than you’ve had in two years! Make the changes. Alter the game. Before the game, I had written that how Berhalter handled Gio Reyna (an inexplicable DNP against Wales) would be one of the biggest decisions of his tenure. Well, Reyna didn’t start, and he didn’t come into this game until the 83rd minute (with Josh Sargent for Tim Weah and Haji Wright). This game was crying out for Reyna to change the game from the 60th minute, which his talent is capable of doing, so it was 23 minutes too late.

• Matt Turner was the right choice as the No. 1 goalkeeper. I have to remind myself sometimes that until two weeks ago I was convinced Gregg Berhalter was going to go with Zack Steffen over Turner in goal for the World Cup despite all evidence to the contrary. Instead, Turner got the job, and he’s showing why. Turner is a savant of a shot-stopper, the kind that can change the outcome of matches. In the modern game, it’s easy to forget that stopping shots is still by far the most important job of a keeper. No, Turner isn’t Éderson sending 70-yard bombs out on the break—though Turner did a good Éderson impression on one first-half play today—but his ability to make saves gives his team enormous confidence. In the dying moments of the first half, Turner dove like a cat to his right to make a big stop on a blistering shot by Mason Mount. Turner is the best shot-stopper in U.S. history, and that’s saying something for a country that also produced Kasey Keller.

• Like 1

notes:

Spoiler

Iran coach Carlos Queiroz coached the MetroStars and was lead author of the USSF's Project 2010 report

Iran's WC98 coach Jalal Talebi had also coached in the US prior to that event (at De Anza community college in California)

Father-son combo Andranik and Alecko Eskandarian represented Iran and the US, respectively

Many of Iran's 1998 players appear to have spoken out against its government after recent events

Spoiler

Explaining all the tensions surrounding the USA-Iran World Cup showdown.

Grant Wahl

Nov 27

U.S. Soccer removed the Islamic Republic symbol from the Iranian flag that it posted on the official USMNT Twitter account in support of women’s rights in Iran.

DOHA, Qatar — It’s fair to say there’s a lot happening around Tuesday’s USA-Iran showdown at the World Cup. You’ve got two teams fighting for one spot in the knockout rounds. You’ve got decades of political history (Iran’s taking of 52 U.S. hostages for 444 days in 1979-81) and soccer history (Iran eliminating the U.S. from World Cup ‘98 with a 2-1 victory).

And as of Sunday you’ve got a present-day conflict between the two countries over women’s rights in Iran that has the Iranian federation protesting to FIFA about U.S. Soccer, as well as a public spat involving former U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann and current Iran coach Carlos Queiroz, who once wrote a blueprint for U.S. Soccer on how to win the World Cup by 2010.

Got it? I know, it’s complicated.

Let’s break it down.

GrantWahl.com is reader-supported. Free and paid subscriptions are available. This is how I make a living, and quality journalism and traveling to Qatar require resources. The best way to support me and my work is by taking out a paid subscription now.

Upgrade to Paid

Give a gift subscription

ON THE FIELD

The stakes couldn’t be much higher in pure soccer terms on Tuesday. The U.S. has to beat Iran to advance to the knockout rounds. Nothing less will suffice. Being eliminated in the group stage would be a major disappointment for the USMNT. As for Iran, it needs only a tie to eliminate the U.S. and move on to the knockout rounds for the first time in its nation’s history at a World Cup.

WOMEN’S RIGHTS IN IRAN

On Sunday, U.S. Soccer confirmed that it had posted an Iranian flag without the Islamic Republic symbol on the official USMNT Twitter account as a show of “support for the women in Iran fighting for basic human rights.” U.S. Soccer added it was a one-time display and it will restore the Islamic Republic symbol moving forward.

The gesture is connected to nationwide protests in Iran over a woman named Mahsa Amini, who died in custody in September after being detained by Iran’s morality police for not wearing a hijab in accordance with regime standards. Protests have been constant inside Iran ever since, along with a crackdown by Iran’s hard-line rulers.

Iran’s players responded on Matchday 1 by not singing their national anthem, causing the Iranian regime to insist that they sing it for Game 2. Iranian fans in the stadium could be seen crying as the players half-heartedly mouthed the words.

Meanwhile, Qatar World Cup security was trying to prohibit fans from entering the stadium for Iran-Wales on Friday who were wearing Woman-Life-Freedom patches in support of Iranian women. My friend Camellia Senemar, an Iranian American who played soccer at Cal, posted this from the game:

Camellia Senemar @CamelliaSen

At #Iran #Wales game & so-called @FIFAWorldCup security harassing us & trying to stop us from entering the stadium for wearing #WomanLifeFreedom patches. We’re hearing undercover police were sent here by Islamic regime. They didn’t back down until I started recording on my phone.

10:19 AM ∙ Nov 25, 2022

36Likes14Retweets

Ciarán Fahey @cofathaigh

It was tense. Fans supporting the Iranian regime harassed people protesting against it as Qatari security seized flags, shirts and anything expressing support for #WomanLifeFreedom. With @IsabelDeBre for @AP #IranProtests #MahsaAmini #WorldCup #Qatar2022

apnews.comIran government supporters confront protesters at World CupAL RAYYAN, Qatar (AP) — Tensions ran high at Iran’s second match at the World Cup on Friday as fans supporting the Iranian government h...

5:25 PM ∙ Nov 25, 2022

13Likes5Retweets

Iranian state-affiliated media reported on Sunday that the Iranian federation would file a complaint with FIFA over the U.S.’s action posting an Iranian flag without the regime symbol in it:

Subscribe to GrantWahl.com @GrantWahl

Iran's state-affiliated media is now saying the Iranian soccer federation will file a complaint with FIFA over US Soccer posting an Iranian flag without the Islamic Republic symbol as a show of support for women's rights in Iran.

Tasnim News Agency @Tasnimnews_EN

The legal advisor of the Iranian Football Federation says the sports association will file a complaint against the US Soccer Team to FIFA’s Ethics Committee after the US Men's National Soccer Team disrespected the national flag of Islamic Republic of Iran. https://t.co/z7uOrykk9k1:01 PM ∙ Nov 27, 2022

53Likes20Retweets

KLINSMANN AND QUEIROZ

On Friday, the ex-U.S. coach Klinsmann repeatedly said on the BBC that “this is their culture” when discussing what he considered gamesmanship by Iran and in Latin American countries. He also took several shots at Queiroz, the Iran coach, in this clip that went viral:

Negar Mortazavi نگار مرتضوی @NegarMortazavi

This is unbelievable… Watch @J_Klinsmann dismiss brown athletes, from Iran to Guatemala, repeatedly saying “this is their culture”, while the host and other guests are sitting there listening to him go on and on, live on @BBCSport.

5:38 AM ∙ Nov 26, 2022

6,427Likes1,732Retweets

The obvious response is that Klinsmann himself once had such a reputation as a diver that he made fun of himself in England as a Spurs player in a goal celebration. And nobody said “this is their culture” about Germany at the time.

In response, the Iranian soccer federation—which has been really busy issuing press releases!—released a statement calling for FIFA to remove Klinsmann from the FIFA Technical Study Group for this World Cup, and Queiroz wrote an open letter to Klinsmann on his Instagram that’s plenty spicy as well.

carlosqueiroz_

A post shared by Carlos Queiroz (@carlosqueiroz_)

All the back and forth makes you wonder how anyone is watching or preparing to play soccer at this point. But we’ve got two more days left ahead of USA-Iran to see what else might happen.

What’s your sense of all this? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

there are a bunch of tweets buried in here but i had a choice of keeping those links or making the plaintext work for for those of us that need it

3 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

The Jurgen thing is fucking stupid imo. I thought he was talking about soccer culture, he brings up concacaf countries that do the same thing thing 

Agreed. Culture was probably a poor choice of words but this is someone just looking for controversy. I see nothing wrong with what he said.  

On 11/25/2022 at 10:53 PM, shadow_operative said:

. the idea of needing a win to advance on the final day would have sounded terrifying to me before the tourney started, and i'm still terrified now. 

Well...yeah...    But i looked.... and I looked....and I looked... at our Group.   And I was never sure of anything.  I'll take this opportunity, as scary as it is.  But damn it feels good to be in this situation versus going home or not being here.  I know you agree.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/25/2022 at 11:53 PM, shadow_operative said:

i keep seeing this:

You have to win a game at some point to advance. One team in the last 40 years has advanced on 3 draws. If you had to pick a team to get that win against it would be Iran. So yeah I would take having to beat Iran to advance 100/100 times. Sucks that they let 2 games slip away but if they play like they did against England they are going to stomp Iran. 

Also for stupid shit like this. We should absolutely pour it on them. What crying little bitches. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/28/iran-is-calling-for-the-us-to-be-thrown-out-of-the-world-cup-after-flag-change.html

• Hook 'Em 1