USMNT 2022

Napoleon

9 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The problem is that Xavi and Alves are friends (the point of my tweets a few posts up), and that is always going to put Alves ahead in the race, even though Dest is better. Dest needs to move on.

What yardstick is being used to determine that Dest is better than Alves?

This should be interesting.

🤔

7 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

In all seriousness, that really sucks for Davies. He’s amazing to watch.  Hope he’s better ASAP. 

He’s far and away the best player in CONCACAF and he’s only 20 or something. 

He’s awesome to watch, and scary to watch, and I hope that he gets well soon, but in the meantime this is a huge help for the USMNT. 

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

^^^^

great move for Che.  gonna be great to see him team up with Chris Richards.  also:

It is, even if Bayern bought him they would have just loaned him out for a couple of years. Hoffenheim will be fighting for a CL spot the rest of the season as well. 

6 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Nope, just a hard fouls in the Championship League. It I’m guessing his teammates a loving him now too.

I'm not sure I've ever watched a championship match. I wouldn't want to play against Dike if that's just a hard foul. He gets compared to Lukaku in build but I don't think Lukaku is that big or thick around the middle. 

Nani talking about Dike's move to WBA

“Daryl is a special boy.

"For me, very humble. Obviously when the kids start to play the game and start doing well on the field, start scoring goals, you start to feel like a star and you hear the fans calling for your name, it’s normal to … as we say in my country, the nose goes a little bit up.

"(But) He listens to all the players and the coaches, and the lasting result is what you see.

“He’s been humble, he’s been paying attention, he wants to help the team, he wants to learn, the most important thing is he wants to learn.

"I think he can take his game very far,” Nani said. “I always tell him, ‘We need to know where we came from.’

“Once he always knows where he came from, he will know where he goes because he still listens, he still understands there is a lot of things he needs to improve.

“So when you have that understanding it’s easy to go wherever you want, but his potential is incredible. He’s so strong, his power to finish, he’s improved a lot the way he finishes. I think if he continues like that very soon, it’s very difficult to handle a player like that.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1-1 at half

Pepi with FOUR great chances. 

1. Shoots it wide after a great thru ball, would have been offside anyways

2. Picks up a loose volley in the box and fires it square into the defenders outstretched leg

3. Puts it into the back of the net but Augsburg called for the foul on the pass to Pepi.

4. Picks up another loose ball in the box, fairly easy stop.

He's been very involved in the build up and hold up play as well. Looks very comfortable. Him plus Vargas on the right side is the best thing they consistently have going. Good stuff thus far. Getting on the scoresheet just feels like a matter of time, he's knocking on the door non stop.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1-1 at half
Pepi with FOUR great chances. 
1. Shoots it wide after a great thru ball, would have been offside anyways
2. Picks up a loose volley in the box and fires it square into the defenders outstretched leg
3. Puts it into the back of the net but Augsburg called for the foul on the pass to Pepi.
4. Picks up another loose ball in the box, fairly easy stop.
He's been very involved in the build up and hold up play as well. Looks very comfortable. Him plus Vargas on the right side is the best thing they consistently have going. Good stuff thus far. Getting on the scoresheet just feels like a matter of time, he's knocking on the door non stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Unless they throw crazy money at Salzburg, I don't see how they make this happen. Aaronson is one of their main players (4th in minutes and starts). And Salzburg needs him to keep the UCL run going.

Exactly!!! And even if its only two more matches I would rather watch him play in the CL vs more relegation battles. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The more I think of this, the less sense it makes.

Just looking at the Champions League alone (where the biggest financial impact would be): Yes, they drew Bayern in the Round of 16. But if they advance, they would realize a nearly $14 million payday. If they sell Aaronson, that is basically giving that up.

I mean they are going to win the Austrian Bundesliga, and their domestic cup is going to be a bit of a crapshoot, so that is where your biggest financial impact will be, winning that round.

7 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The more I think of this, the less sense it makes.

Just looking at the Champions League alone (where the biggest financial impact would be): Yes, they drew Bayern in the Round of 16. But if they advance, they would realize a nearly $14 million payday. If they sell Aaronson, that is basically giving that up.

I mean they are going to win the Austrian Bundesliga, and their domestic cup is going to be a bit of a crapshoot, so that is where your biggest financial impact will be, winning that round.

Let's not kid ourselves - Bayern is going to hammer them. But from a club integrity and fan service standpoint it would be pretty shitty to ship their best winger right before two huge matches. 

I'm thinking unless Leeds finds 40M+ in the couch cushions he's staying put. He's 21 and only getting better. They'll have more chances to sell him in the future. 

I fucking love Aaronson. He's all over the place, both in terms of the amount of real estate he covers, and also in terms of how his game fluctuates.

But he always seems to be involved. Dude just makes plays.

Hoppe is of a similar mold. Hope to see Matthew back on track soon.

Just scattered musings on a Tuesday evening.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think he's one stop away from his "big" move so wherever he goes next, make it one of the big 4 leagues. Play well there, then start looking at a top 4 club somewhere.

As an example... Go to Leeds. Play well for 2 years. Let Leeds cash in on a sale to... A Spanish top 3. I feel like his game suits that league. Maybe Real Madrid or Barca will have recovered by then.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:07 PM, ztejas said:

I'm not sure I've ever watched a championship match.

You are missing out. I secretly loved it when AVFC was down there as it's like the wild wild west as far as who will win every match. Level of play is also superb for a secondary league. I'm sure 2 Bundesliga is great, but the Championship is nothing like Ligue 2 or MLS.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

25° for next week’s match seems less than ideal.

This is still stupid. The El Salvador game just entered the 10 day and I'm seeing 23/12 clear, no snow. With a 6 PM local kickoff that still gonna be around 20.

If we lose either of these games or anyone gets hurt, this is on the federation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, shnsajax said:

It’s Concacaf, they will still fuck up VAR.

Probably. 

I also love their press release:

https://www.concacaf.com/news/concacaf-to-use-var-in-multiple-competitions-in-2022/

They might as well have said:

”Following the successful implementation of VAR in the 2021 Concacaf Nations League Finals, the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup, and the latter stages of the 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League, the Confederation has confirmed that it skipped implementing the technology for the first 8 games of its most important competition and will only use it in the last 6 games, not even half of the competition.”