USMNT 2022

Napoleon

9 minutes ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.6381f08fd51d6d443bf4f220be022f06.png

Yeah that was awesome but let's uh... not do that again. 

Also - to get the bad taste out of our mouths - this was the one. And it was awesome. We're going to the fuckin world cup.

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

We have a manager that wants to build from the back with a keeper (Turner) that is absolutely ass with his feet. 

Right now everyone is just keeping the seat warm for Gaga as we aren't going to start an 18 year old in the WC, but he's going to be our Buffon. 

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Hercules Gomez crushing it on Futbol America’s.  Best Soccer show going, by a long long way. 

I either watch it or listen to it as a podcast when exercising. 

Sebastian Salazar is a little bitch on that show. He was decent in his interview with Max Bretos on Max’s The Soccer O.G. podcast, but he needs a visit from Will Smith.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

To be fair - a little easier to be consistently solid at the back imo. Less variance typically than you see somewhere like winger or striker (not that we have a striker that's started and been worth a shit in more than 3 or 4 games).

Do you use “to be fair” because you watch British people on YouTube?

(I have noticed the shorthand “tbf” as well.)

Or is that a common intro these days?

I’ve noticed that English people use it in their vlogs of soccer matches and soccer previews/wrap ups…

I have also noticed that Tactical Manager, 11 Yanks, and maybe a couple of other soccer guys in the group use it, but I don’t know if it is because they consume so much English media/social media or if that is common with non “football” fans as well. 

It’s just something that has really been everywhere in the soccer world I have inundated myself in over the last year or so, but that I hadn’t noticed before and that I still don’t notice outside of the soccer universe.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I either watch it or listen to it as a podcast when exercising. 

Sebastian Salazar is a little bitch on that show. He was decent in his interview with Max Bretos on Max’s The Soccer O.G. podcast, but he needs a visit from Will Smith.

Do you use “to be fair” because you watch British people on YouTube?

(I have noticed the shorthand “tbf” as well.)

Or is that a common intro these days?

I’ve noticed that English people use it in their vlogs of soccer matches and soccer previews/wrap ups…

I have also noticed that Tactical Manager, 11 Yanks, and maybe a couple of other soccer guys in the group use it, but I don’t know if it is because they consume so much English media/social media or if that is common with non “football” fans as well. 

It’s just something that has really been everywhere in the soccer world I have inundated myself in over the last year or so, but that I hadn’t noticed before and that I still don’t notice outside of the soccer universe.

Interesting observation. Just a phrase I use. Couldn't tell you why. From Austin, went to college with kids from all over the country, I've spent a ton of (too much) time online reading and posting among people from who knows where. Also very conscious of my writing even in short form in places like this and try not to get stale or repeat myself. Definitely not a soccer thing on my end.

I will say - that's definitely one that when I use it I feel like there are maybe better alternatives. Like using "at the end of the day" or "I mean," or "here's the thing". But I feel like there's nothing inherently wrong with phrases like that as long as you don't vomit them ad nauseum. 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Interesting observation. Just a phrase I use. Couldn't tell you why. From Austin, went to college with kids from all over the country, I've spent a ton of (too much) time online reading and posting among people from who knows where. Also very conscious of my writing even in short form in places like this and try not to get stale or repeat myself. Definitely not a soccer thing on my end.

I will say - that's definitely one that when I use it I feel like there are maybe better alternatives. Like using "at the end of the day" or "I mean," or "here's the thing". But I feel like there's nothing inherently wrong with phrases like that as long as you don't vomit them ad nauseum. 

“To be honest” (implying that I’m not usually honest), “at the end of the day” has replaced “when push comes to shove” and “when it comes right down to it” and every other fucking saying like that combined.

“At the end of the day” beats me down more than “It is what it is.”… though I hate “It is what it is.” even more, though perhaps that’s due to a “pivot” in “developing my culture”, I am not faced with “It is what it is.” as frequently as I was 15 to 20 years ago, since I’ve focused on “establishing my brand.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

“To be honest” (implying that I’m not usually honest), “at the end of the day” has replaced “when push comes to shove” and “when it comes right down to it” and every other fucking saying like that combined.

“At the end of the day” beats me down more than “It is what it is.”… though I hate “It is what it is.” even more, though perhaps that’s due to a “pivot” in “developing my culture”, I am not faced with “It is what it is.” as frequently as I was 15 to 20 years ago, since I’ve focused on “establishing my brand.”

I just realize that I flipped developing & establishing and put them with the wrong cliches. 

I meant “establishing my culture” and “developing my brand”.

Obviously I am not ready for my TEDtalk.

I'm worried about our pool. When it comes to leadership, we don't have a true leader like we did with Landon Donovan. One of my brothers asked me why we didn't qualify for the 2018 tournament and I told him "because USA doesn't have a true leader yet. It's a rebuild." Don't get me wrong, Christian Pulisic is good, but I haven't seen him step up to lead like Landon did. Will that change? Most likely. Can we at least get out of the group stage? Maybe. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I'm worried about our pool. When it comes to leadership, we don't have a true leader like we did with Landon Donovan. One of my brothers asked me why we didn't qualify for the 2018 tournament and I told him "because USA doesn't have a true leader yet. It's a rebuild." Don't get me wrong, Christian Pulisic is good, but I haven't seen him step up to lead like Landon did. Will that change? Most likely. Can we at least get out of the group stage? Maybe. 

We do. It’s Adams

You can still worry, but he is our unquestioned leader. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

You're going to need to expound on this because I have no idea what you're talking about. What did Landon do from a leadership standpoint that numerous guys on the current team are incapable of? Including Pulisic - who faces much more scrutiny and criticism for both club and country than Donovan ever did. 

My 3 main concerns right now are experience (especially in the back 4), whatever the fuck is happening at keeper, and Greg's tactical ability. I'm not concerned at all with these guys picking each other up or playing for each other in general. 

And yeah - @Napoleon gave you the most direct answer. I don't think it stops with TA though. We rotate the armband quite a bit.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're going to need to expound on this because I have no idea what you're talking about. What did Landon do from a leadership standpoint that numerous guys on the current team are incapable of? Including Pulisic - who faces much more scrutiny and criticism for both club and country than Donovan ever did. 

My 3 main concerns right now are experience (especially in the back 4), whatever the fuck is happening at keeper, and Greg's tactical ability. I'm not concerned at all with these guys picking each other up or playing for each other in general. 

And yeah - @Napoleon gave you the most direct answer. I don't think it stops with TA though. We rotate the armband quite a bit.

Oh yeah experience is an issue and yes goalkeeper... WTF. Our new keeper is no Tim Howard.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yea, we have not shown any tactics in the final third the entire time under GGG. Part of that is the rotations, but we just don’t seem to have any identity other than get the ball to CP and let him dribble until he earns a free kick. We don’t have shooters that can consistently put the ball on frame from 25, much less actually make a keeper sweat. A good coach would recognize that and change those into set pieces, but we don’t seem to have many guys that will crash the goal and hammer one outside of WM, who isn’t going to get on top of many WC defenders. Really hope we can figure something out between Gio, CP, AAron, and Pepi.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

This team is led by a group of players that everyone seems to look to and gravitate towards - Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Gio, Weah. I think that's a way better scenario than just having one guy be THE guy. And if we had to pick just one, it's Tyler Adams as mentioned above.

Compare this to the last WCQ cycle - Clint Dempsey was wearing the armband. I love me some Clint, but I would never pick him out as someone that the team gravitated towards. And beyond Clint, it was a wasteland. This team is totally different in that regard.

Now if we could just get Tim Howard to unretire.

Pot 2 placement gives us a chance to move on from the group stage.  What is the GoD for the US? France, Poland and a weaker than usual Ghana (currently ranked 60th in the world)?  Brazil, Senegal and Wales?  You can come up with a relatively strong group but not a true GoD that includes the US.  Pots 3 and 4 just don't contain teams that would yield a GoD.

This team has significant issues at the back with FBs who are very inconsistent in their defending, GKs with glaring weaknesses and MLS CBs.  In addition, we have a black hole at the 9, an inflexible and out of his depth manager and stars who are frequently injured.  Round of 16 would be a major success for this group pending the draw.

35 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

This team is led by a group of players that everyone seems to look to and gravitate towards - Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Gio, Weah. I think that's a way better scenario than just having one guy be THE guy. And if we had to pick just one, it's Tyler Adams as mentioned above.

Compare this to the last WCQ cycle - Clint Dempsey was wearing the armband. I love me some Clint, but I would never pick him out as someone that the team gravitated towards. And beyond Clint, it was a wasteland. This team is totally different in that regard.

Now if we could just get Tim Howard to unretire.

The last WCQ cycle had a few other players such as Michael Bradley and Jozy Altidore. Michael was decent, but didn't bring that "wow" factor and Jozy unfortunately was injury prone. 

38 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Pot 2 placement gives us a chance to move on from the group stage.  What is the GoD for the US? France, Poland and a weaker than usual Ghana (currently ranked 60th in the world)?  Brazil, Senegal and Wales?  You can come up with a relatively strong group but not a true GoD that includes the US.  Pots 3 and 4 just don't contain teams that would yield a GoD.

This team has significant issues at the back with FBs who are very inconsistent in their defending, GKs with glaring weaknesses and MLS CBs.  In addition, we have a black hole at the 9, an inflexible and out of his depth manager and stars who are frequently injured.  Round of 16 would be a major success for this group pending the draw.

Worst I can come up with is 

Brazil, Poland, Wales or France, Poland, Ecuador.

I'd really like to avoid Poland and Serbia if we can't win the Qatar lottery.

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

Just throwing some out there looking at the pots:

France, Poland, Ecuador
Belgium, Poland, Peru

Basically drawing a European Pot 1 team (because if we draw a S. American team we can't draw Peru or Ecuador in Pot 4),

Pot 3 is a tough out either way, the lowest ranked team in there is 35th. Honestly, Serbia or Poland are not good draws from there.

Pot 4 - the mine field there is drawing one of the playoff teams: Wales (18), Peru (22), Ukraine (27).

Edited by Captain Ron

I wouldn't want to be a 9 in GERGS system. the fact that we haven't had someone step up from a group of: Pepi, Pefok, Ferreira, Sargent, Hoppe, and Dike says so much more about GERGS bullshit tactics and never building through the middle of the pitch or even in the half spaces unless CP breaks through the middle. There are never opportunities for diagonal runs/passes. This wingback shit doesn't really work for our 9s, and they never really take opportunities to make solid runs to the near post on those wild crosses from Jedi or (Yedlin?). Dest is an absolute MUST for this system bc of his creativity using the half space instead of hoofing something from the corner flag. Incidentally, Pepi has only been effective when working w Dest.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

best and worst case scenario for USMNT in 2022 World Cup group draw

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2022/03/31/usmnt-world-cup-draw-pot-group-best-and-worst-case-scenario-in-2022-world-cup/

Based on their current FIFA ranking, here is the best case scenario for the USMNT.

• Qatar
  • USMNT
  • Poland
  • Ghana

The above is based on FIFA rankings but in our opinion, this group would be the easiest for the USMNT to navigate.

• Qatar
  • USMNT
  • Poland
  • Ecuador

Based on their current FIFA ranking, here is the worst case scenario for the USMNT.

• Belgium
  • USMNT
  • Iran
  • Cameroon

The above is based on FIFA rankings but in our opinion, this group would be the toughest for the USMNT to navigate.

• Brazil
  • USMNT
  • Serbia
  • Scotland/Ukraine/Wales

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Worst I can come up with is 

Brazil, Poland, Wales or France, Poland, Ecuador.

I'd really like to avoid Poland and Serbia if we can't win the Qatar lottery.

Lewy against our back 4 and Steffen…

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

I wouldn't want to be a 9 in GERGS system. the fact that we haven't had someone step up from a group of: Pepi, Pefok, Ferreira, Sargent, Hoppe, and Dike says so much more about GERGS bullshit tactics and never building through the middle of the pitch or even in the half spaces unless CP breaks through the middle. There are never opportunities for diagonal runs/passes. This wingback shit doesn't really work for our 9s, and they never really take opportunities to make solid runs to the near post on those wild crosses from Jedi or (Yedlin?). Dest is an absolute MUST for this system bc of his creativity using the half space instead of hoofing something from the corner flag. Incidentally, Pepi has only been effective when working w Dest.

I feel like every single game he is also pulling whoever he starts at the #9 in ther 60th minute, not to mention starting someone different every single game. 

11 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

How the fuck can we never beat Mexico at Azteca? 

Well we have only won 5 road games the last 12 years or 4 cycles, and Mexico has only lost at Azteca in WC Qualifing twice ever. 

Edited by shnsajax
Fuck Azteca!

Our pussy mentality on the road has gotten much worse in recent qualifying cycles:

1998  6 out of 15 points (40%)

2002  5 out of 15 points (33%)

2006  7 out of 15 points (47%)

2010  7 out of 15 points (47%)

2014  7 out of 15 points (47%)

2018  3 out of 15 points (20%)

2022  6 out of 21 points (29%)

It doesn't really matter going forward because of WC expansion, but the last two cycles preceding WC expansion were embarrassing.  Finishing tied for 3rd (would have been 4th if VAR was in place for our game at Jamaica) when Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras and Panama were all down while we were in the prime of our "Golden Generation" is a joke.      

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Couple of things about this before anyone thinks it's most likely that we are in something like a Brazil/Poland/Wales kind of group:

1. The skew towards Brazil and Argentina is because neither can be drawn with Uruguay (the probabilities for all teams other than URU in pot 2 are the same as the US)

2. The skew towards Serbia and Poland is in case we draw Qatar/Brazil/Argentina then Serbia/Poland have to be assigned (if they haven't already) to that group. So hope Mexico gets drawn with Brazil and then has to take one of those two. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Oh yeah experience is an issue and yes goalkeeper... WTF. Our new keeper is no Tim Howard.

Or Friedel. Or Keller. 

38 minutes ago, alincoln said:

while we were in the prime of our "Golden Generation" is a joke

Last qualifying we had a bunch of players that were too young and a bunch that were too old. This qualifying we have a bunch of guys that are old enough to play well but definitely not in their prime. Musah, Pepi and Gio are 19, Dest and Ferreira are 21, Weah and Richards are 22, Pulisic, Adams and McKennie are 23. Making Qatar was an excellent goal for these guys - as will be getting out of their group. Anything more than that like winning the group or a knockout game will be ahead of schedule.

I also don't understand the "golden generation" shit. Over 300 million people live in the US. We aren't going to run out of talent when guys like CP and McKennie age out (and that will be 2 more cycles anyway).

• Hook 'Em 6

So I can't disagree with alincon that we have a pussy mentality on the road. We are too good to just aim for ties at this point, we should be playing for wins. The fact that Gergg gave away the Panama road game is an absolute joke an could have cost us in qualifying.

I also think the Golden Generation talk is also over blown. IMHO, we are just now getting to a point where we have players on par with what we should be producing for our country, not to knock Pulisic or McKenny or many others (I'll get to Gio in a sec), but IMHO they are the type of player that we should be cranking out normally. Now, transcendent players - IE Gio - are going to be a lot rarer, but we will have a few of them here an there too. Those players are going to be the key to us having a "golden generation", when we get 2 or 3 of those. I don't think we are close to that yet at all.

And whatever you call this group, their prime will be 2026 maybe even 2030.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

So I can't disagree with alincon that we have a pussy mentality on the road. We are too good to just aim for ties at this point, we should be playing for wins. The fact that Gergg gave away the Panama road game is an absolute joke an could have cost us in qualifying.

I also think the Golden Generation talk is also over blown. IMHO, we are just now getting to a point where we have players on par with what we should be producing for our country, not to knock Pulisic or McKenny or many others (I'll get to Gio in a sec), but IMHO they are the type of player that we should be cranking out normally. Now, transcendent players - IE Gio - are going to be a lot rarer, but we will have a few of them here an there too. Those players are going to be the key to us having a "golden generation", when we get 2 or 3 of those. I don't think we are close to that yet at all.

And whatever you call this group, their prime will be 2026 maybe even 2030.

Well... Pulisic is still pretty rare because at 23 he's spent 6 years with premier Euro sides. Even the top footballing nations only have a few of those guys every cycle. He's also our first non-keeper to play for a top PL side until he isn't. 

But - how good he is at 23 isn't something that should be super rare moving forward. It isn't even that rare right now with the way McKennie is playing. Definitely agree with you there. And I said should be because you never fucking know I guess... but we have plenty of guys in the pipeline that have the chance to excel at their position to a similar degree by the time they're close to 25. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

This Golden Generation stuff is comical.

I mean, I guess I get it.  This can be a golden generation compared to who we've always been.  But there are still at least a dozen countries who would take 2 or 3 of our starters (mostly for their bench), and leave the rest.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

This Golden Generation stuff is comical.

This absolutely could be a golden generation, but the thought that our current roster is our golden generation in their prime is just wild. Our best players are all in the 19-23 range. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

This absolutely could be a golden generation, but the thought that our current roster is our golden generation in their prime is just wild. Our best players are all in the 19-23 range. 

The team will be predominantly guys in the 25 to 28 year-old range in 2026, with Musah, Reyna, Pepi younger than that and all of our CBs but Chris Richards much older than that. 

We need to find a top Keeper (Steffen will never be a top keeper) and we’ll need to bleed in 3 to 6 new kids in the 19-23 y.o. range.