USMNT 2022

Napoleon

Watched the highlights of that 2010 England game and didn’t remember England getting so many chances. Jozy still should have buried his and we would have had smooth sailing the rest of the group. That and the mystery offsides on Edu really effed us from rotating the squad in that 3rd game. 

I would love it if Iran and the US make it out of the group. Iran actually owes the U.S. & England (the UK) for fucking up their democracy back in 1953. I obviously want to advance, but Iran getting a result again the two (or three) English speaking countries would be a dream for them. 

That said, until the USA decides on a keeper that is NOT Zack Steffen, we can lose to anyone. I was also listening to Max Bretos’ “The Soccer O.G.” podcast and he had former nat Chris Sullivan (‘94 W.C.) on and that guy was saying that he’d like to see a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-2-3-2 formation at times because our 4-3-3 isn’t fooling anyone and it’s stale. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-soccer-og-with-max-bretos/id1555592637

It was a good listen.

Anyway, I think that we have a great midfield & wingers, but…

I’m worried about a striker, keeper, central defenders, and our head coach. That’s all. 

14 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I would love it if Iran and the US make it out of the group. Iran actually owes the U.S. & England (the UK) for fucking up their democracy back in 1953. I obviously want to advance, but Iran getting a result again the two (or three) English speaking countries would be a dream for them. 

That said, until the USA decides on a keeper that is NOT Zack Steffen, we can lose to anyone. I was also listening to Max Bretos’ “The Soccer O.G.” podcast and he had former nat Chris Sullivan (‘94 W.C.) on and that guy was saying that he’d like to see a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-2-3-2 formation at times because our 4-3-3 isn’t fooling anyone and it’s stale. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-soccer-og-with-max-bretos/id1555592637

It was a good listen.

Anyway, I think that we have a great midfield & wingers, but…

I’m worried about a striker, keeper, central defenders, and our head coach. That’s all. 

I honestly think we have personnel to try and run some of the stuff Chelsea runs - especially absent a proven 9. i.e. looks like this depending on opponent or who is on the field. 

chelsea1.png.359f91ef7b0c89aa916fe2252843277e.png

chelsea2.png.48696c248004485ef958d5f86c578283.png

But I doubt Gerg will ever do this in lieu of having 2 CBs on the pitch at all times. 

(Pep would understand this)

I mean... try not to cum your pants (and feel free to sub out/in whoever you want)

lineup.png.54ed40ef8b9b17bd9aad4d7bfeb55c94.png

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 2

I don't think 3/5 at the back is the answer for the US. We have struggled scoring and when everyone is healthy (if that ever happens) already have trouble finding minutes for all of the attacking players we want on the field. 3/5 in the back pulls another one of those attackers for an extra central defender.

4-2-3-1 could be a great fit for our player pool as a slight change up to the 4-3-3. It would really play out very similarly to what we already have but would add a true 10 role for Reyna instead of just a free role on the wing.

I still want to see Reyna as a false 9 in the 4-3-3. That gets the most talent on the field for us and Pulisic/Reyna/Weah have a lot of ability to switch across the front line. 

19 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

I don't think 3/5 at the back is the answer for the US. We have struggled scoring and when everyone is healthy (if that ever happens) already have trouble finding minutes for all of the attacking players we want on the field. 3/5 in the back pulls another one of those attackers for an extra central defender.

That's not how it works (did you look at the lineup I posted?). Granted I should have put someone like Miles up there instead of Yedlin because Yedlin is too little - I came up with it in a hurry. The wing back spots you can play either wingers or FBs. Which is what Chelsea does. Yes you may have to play an extra CD or a bigger FB but you can play someone like Aaronson or Morris or Weah or Arriola at the wing instead of a FB. 

19 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

4-2-3-1 could be a great fit for our player pool as a slight change up to the 4-3-3. It would really play out very similarly to what we already have but would add a true 10 role for Reyna instead of just a free role on the wing.

I still want to see Reyna as a false 9 in the 4-3-3. That gets the most talent on the field for us and Pulisic/Reyna/Weah have a lot of ability to switch across the front line. 

Let me rephrase: putting Reyna at the top is a waste. You have the right idea with your former comment here. 

Edited by ztejas

everyone i see keeps saying they're really happy with the draw, or that the US got a good draw, but i just don't know. i could totally see us not advancing out of this group. if we had a coach who i believed in at all, then sure- with the young talent we have, we *should* get out of this group, and we could conceivably even win the group with so much as a draw vs England. still, i do not believe in this team with Berhalter in charge, and i don't really see any reason to believe. as of today, i think i foresee this team going out in the group stage, and using it as a rallying cry for 2026, when we have home field advantage and (presumably) a HC who has the ability to optimize his talent and/or win a WC match by outfoxing his opposing number. until then, i guess i'm just glad that the draw wasn't worse. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Iran already had its result in 1998--a disgusting loss in which the USMNT seemed more interested in swapping jerseys and sending positive vibes to the Iranian people than kicking ass in a competitive fixture.

This current crop of players is too young to remember, so let's hope the only thing on their minds is domination because I would not be surprised if there were some officiating fuckery in favor of the Islamic Republic.

Similar concern if Ukraine somehow makes it past Wales/Scotland. The Blue and Yellow will be the sympathetic victim, and I could see FIFA "encouraging" match referees to do all they can to keep the underdog story going.

My heart goes out to the Ukrainians and Iranians, but we've got soccer matches to win and precedents to set, so ...

no-mercy-johnny.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

everyone i see keeps saying they're really happy with the draw, or that the US got a good draw, but i just don't know. i could totally see us not advancing out of this group. if we had a coach who i believed in at all, then sure- with the young talent we have, we *should* get out of this group, and we could conceivably even win the group with so much as a draw vs England. still, i do not believe in this team with Berhalter in charge, and i don't really see any reason to believe. as of today, i think i foresee this team going out in the group stage, and using it as a rallying cry for 2026, when we have home field advantage and (presumably) a HC who has the ability to optimize his talent and/or win a WC match by outfoxing his opposing number. until then, i guess i'm just glad that the draw wasn't worse. 

I agree that this is a pretty good, but not great, draw for us.

I'm not sure I understand all the butthurt on our side about the English response to this draw.  They should be happy.  So should we.  Those sided should finish 1-2 unless something goes horribly wrong.  England being ecstatic about the draw isn't necessarily the same thing as saying they expect to just show up and get 9 points because America and Iran suck.

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

I'm not sure I understand all the butthurt on our side about the English response to this draw.  They should be happy.  So should we.  Those sided should finish 1-2 unless something goes horribly wrong.  England being ecstatic about the draw isn't necessarily the same thing as saying they expect to just show up and get 9 points because America and Iran suck.

Except that's, um, pretty much what they've been saying though. They've been saying England and Scotland/Wales would top the group.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Iran already had its result in 1998--a disgusting loss in which the USMNT seemed more interested in swapping jerseys and sending positive vibes to the Iranian people than kicking ass in a competitive fixture.

This current crop of players is too young to remember, so let's hope the only thing on their minds is domination because I would not be surprised if there were some officiating fuckery in favor of the Islamic Republic.

Similar concern if Ukraine somehow makes it past Wales/Scotland. The Blue and Yellow will be the sympathetic victim, and I could see FIFA "encouraging" match referees to do all they can to keep the underdog story going.

My heart goes out to the Ukrainians and Iranians, but we've got soccer matches to win and precedents to set, so ...

no-mercy-johnny.gif

I don’t disagree the result and overall game were disgusting. Though while the US showed up like you described, they quickly turned it up once Iran scored. Their second goal was a result of us being too high on the field one our attempt to score. 

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

It’s LITERALLY what they are saying. 

image.png

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

That's not how it works (did you look at the lineup I posted?). Granted I should have put someone like Miles up there instead of Yedlin because Yedlin is too little - I came up with it in a hurry. The wing back spots you can play either wingers or FBs. Which is what Chelsea does. Yes you may have to play an extra CD or a bigger FB but you can play someone like Aaronson or Morris or Weah or Arriola at the wing instead of a FB. 

Let me rephrase: putting Reyna at the top is a waste. You have the right idea with your former comment here. 

The lineup you posted (for the US) is some FIFA shit. The Chelsea lineups you posted are all using three CBs. They aren't going one CB with two outside backs next to them and then just wingers ahead. A realistic lineup for the US in a similar vein would have Miles Robinson, Zimmerman, and Richards as the three CBs with Antonee Robinson and Dest as the wing backs. Essentially compared to my lineup, you're pulling Musah for an extra CB.

Reyna at the false 9 absolutely would not be a waste. Viewing any formation as completely static and "well, you said he's the 9 so he's stuck up top" is a misunderstanding. There is zero reason why Reyna wouldn't be able to drop deeper in that role. It might not work but I'd at least like to see it before giving up on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

BEHOLD HIS MIGHTY HAND

i give you....

THE ADMIRAL 541

fit for purpose, karmically aligned, referentially integral, numerically tuned and absolutely not a trap

467208168_theadmiral541.png.3c1afe4dc1edf7561c2933030e460231.png

For ?????? I say try playing Musah there because he can play defensively. The other option if you're looking to get best player on the pitch, regardless of the position, would be Aaronson.

+rep for Horvath in goal. He really needs to be the one moving forward. Fuck this Steffen nonsense.

5 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

+rep for Horvath in goal

i sense a deja vu on horvath v. steffen.....

in the spring of '02 keller was fit and in form and had been the #1 for several years

in november 2000 friedel had struggled to get 30 games in 3 years behind calamity james and sander westerveld at anfield, so friedel moved to blackburn

he led their promotion campaign to the prem, and then went on a tear in the spring of '02 including a series of blinding performances to take his side to the league cup final

those of us who at the time were close observers of the side, i.e. not the media, knew friedel should be #1, and we were shocked when bruce agreed with us

the rest is history...    brad stood on his head in korea, including becoming only the 2nd in history to stop 2 spot kicks awarded during open play in a single mundial

horvath was not a celebrated signing at forest

his competition (samba) has been there 4 years, but a month ago samba picked up a red and 3-game suspension which led to horvath's chance which he has more than made the most of

samba played today, however word is forest coach made that choice because horvath was jet-lagged just arriving yesterday (friday) after connecting from costa rica through miami on thursday

forest are in 7th but with 3 games in hand the promotion playoffs look extremely likely

forest' next game is wednesday, and that's the day we will find out if horvath and friedel could share a glitch in the matrix

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Matt Turner might still be on the shelf from that stupid Minnesota game. Turns out he developed tendinitis due to frozen tissue in his ankle. 

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/matt-turners-injury-may-have-been-caused-by-usmnts-world-cup-qualifier-in-extreme-cold-and-subzero-temps/amp/

Nah, that was a terrible article that Turner had to correct 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1