USMNT 2022

Napoleon

Why? Because he missed two scoring opportunities against RM? 

Those two "opportunities" were low probability at best.

If it's just because of his poor form for Chelsea in general, then I can't disagree but I'm guessing a bunch of football hooligans aren't thinking for much longer than a snap judgement.

Google translate: I am hearing that Zack Steffen will consider leaving Manchester City this summer. The goalkeeper of #USMNT would value going on loan to have more minutes and maintain his starting status with the USA in #Qatar2022 . Situation to follow in the summer market

Chelsea fans (meaning across the pond fans) shit on any of their players. It's just a rotating two week window of what someone has done for them lately. A month ago it was Werner now it's Pulisic. It's been Lukaku for months. Christensen was getting crucified in that first leg. They are less likely to shit on the English guys but still will. They especially enjoy bagging Pulisic because he's an American but are quick to give him credit when it's due. 

Pulisic didn't play great against RM in either leg. He scored in both legs against Lille. He's in their plans and Tuchel loves him. 

I was listening to The Scuffed (Soccer) Podcast today and the Adam Bells (sp?) and his guest were talking about how dangerous Pulisic was in the 2017 match against Panama, I think, as well as in a friendly against England around then that England won 3-0, but where Pulisic was dangerous every time he touched the ball. 

They pointed out how he has evolved a bit, but that he no longer has the explosion that he once had. 

[My Opinion] He’s very young to have physically peaked, but similar shit happened to Michael Owen. Fast/explosive little guys who pull their hamstrings and have to evolve, but are never worth their early valuation. 

He’s done a pretty good job combining with others, he’s very good at PKs, his control and Meg before shooting for his 3rd goal against Panama “was an exquisite piece of skill”, and his late runs into the box are all nice positives, but we no longer see the thing that originally made him special and was the reason that Chelsea ponied up so much money for him. 

He definitely needs to play, because he wasn’t of a level of being a backup keeper this last window. He was awful.

I’m very very close to saying Slonina should start in the WC. If the Fire don’t sell him this summer like I think they will, he will be the most match fit keeper we have. He might be the best keeper we have come Dec as well.

This WC is still more about gaining experience than the result to me, and he will be our keeper in 2026.

51 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I’m very very close to saying Slonina should start in the WC. If the Fire don’t sell him this summer like I think they will, he will be the most match fit keeper we have. He might be the best keeper we have come Dec as well.

This WC is still more about gaining experience than the result to me, and he will be our keeper in 2026.

1) If Turner’s foot heals and he learns how not to be a regard with the ball at his feet from the Arsenal staff, then I am happy to see him start. 

2) I would also like to see Horvath get a shot in between the pipes. (I wanted to see him there in Costa Rica.)

3) The only reason to bring along Slonina is so that he doesn’t choose to play for Poland. I have no desire to see a 17 to 18 year-old keeper on the USMNT roster. Put him with the I-20s trying to qualify for the U-20 WC and the 2024 Olympics. 

Even when Turner’s foot heals we still don’t know if he will crack as the starter.

Steffen looked like someone who hasn’t played this whole season which he really hasn’t. He needs a move, maybe Everton is ready for another American keeper?

Horvath I would feel pretty good about if he could lock down the job at Forest.

Slonina will likely be in Europe this summer and I won’t be surprised to see him get more minutes over there than the other three from August-December. And yeah the Poland thing worries me a little. Losing him would be like losing Neven Subotić again but a lot worse.

17 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Steffen not helping his case this morning.

In minimal defense of Steffen, that pass shouldn't have been made to him. But that's just lazy keeping on Steffen's part, clear the damn ball out of bounds if you have to. There was no urgency on his part and I'm wondering if he's not physically fit at the moment. Either way, Steffen provided a textbook example of a poached goal.

EDIT: For the umpteenth time, start Horvath.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

In minimal defense of Steffen, that pass shouldn't have been made to him. But that's just lazy keeping on Steffen's part, clear the damn ball out of bounds if you have to. There was no urgency on his part and I'm wondering if he's not physically fit at the moment. Either way, Steffen provided a textbook example of a poached goal.

EDIT: For the umpteenth time, start Horvath.

Geez, that is awful. That's undefendable. He has all day to play that (I count 2 seconds) and doesn't. He can't make that mistake. 

10 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Zero chance Turner is the starter at Arsenal.  He’s gonna play as much as Steffen at Man City, maybe less 

He should be their cup keeper. I don't know what the EFL cup schedule is going to be next season, but if Arsenal can't get in the Champions League, he will get some time in Europa. He could see some time. And you just never know, he might find a way to take the top job.

As bad of a day as Zack Steffen had, I think that John Brooks’ day was even worse. 

Two of Dortmund’s first three goals came on set pieces (at least one, but maybe both were headers) then the two other goals featured in ESPN’s “Dortmund score 5 goals in 17 minutes” video showed the back of some guy with “25” on his jersey.

John Brooks is done. He’s ready for an MLS victory lap, but he has no wheels and seemingly little self-awareness of his deficiencies. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/report?gameId=608802

• Hook 'Em 2

Poland can afford to make Gaga their 3rd keeper for the cup because they have a true 1. We, on the other hand have a giant ? at keeper so i can't see GERGG taking an unproven 17/18 year old even though fuck it, he should. Hell, fuckin start him IDGAF. At least we know GERGG is pretty good with recruiting.

2 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Poland can afford to make Gaga their 3rd keeper for the cup because they have a true 1. We, on the other hand have a giant ? at keeper so i can't see GERGG taking an unproven 17/18 year old even though fuck it, he should. Hell, fuckin start him IDGAF. At least we know GERGG is pretty good with recruiting.

We aren't starting multiple keepers in the WC. Its one guy, and then there is the backup. We don't know who that guy is as of today, but there is no reason why Gaga can't be the #3 as that person will never see a second off the bench. 

Tata is looking to steal our Mexicans!

Mexico call up dual nationals Jonathan Gomez, David Ochoa for Guatemala friendly

U.S.-born dual-nationals David Ochoa and Jonathan Gomez could both earn their first minutes with Mexico's senior national team after being called up for a friendly against Guatemala on April 27.

The young Mexican-Americans are part of an alternate roster selected by manager Gerardo "Tata" Martino for the match that will take place on a non-FIFA date at Florida's Camping World Stadium.

Ochoa, a 21-year-old goalkeeper for Real Salt Lake, has previously taken part in youth national team camps on both sides of the border, but was more involved in the setup for the United States up through the U23 level. Last summer he committed to Mexico.

"I will never be fully American. Nor will I ever be fully Mexican," Ochoa told the Players Tribune. "So it's about where I feel more comfortable, and something inside me feels more at home with the Mexican players."

Gomez, an 18-year-old left-back for Real Sociedad B, also took part in youth national team camps for both the U.S. and Mexico. The 2021 USL Championship Young Player of the Year was given his first senior minutes with the USMNT in a 1-0 win over Bosnia and Herzegovina last December, but wasn't cap-tied due to the fact that the match was a friendly. Gomez has yet to commit to Mexico or the U.S.

Both Gomez and Ochoa were involved in the second-tier USL in the start of their professional careers.

Club America's Alejandro Zendejas, an FC Dallas academy product is another Mexican-American dual national on the team. He is returning to Martino's camp after debuting for the senior team last year.

[click for the rest]

https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexico-mex/story/4647964/mexico-call-up-dual-nationals-jonathan-gomezdavid-ochoa-for-guatemala-friendly

Fucking shootouts are the worst. They just give futbol hooligans a scape goat so they can ignore the previous 120 minutes (see dickhead racist English fans post Euro calamity). 

Play 120 and if tied, play 15 minute sessions sudden death. Give an extra substitute every two sessions. If you run out of players, you can start bringing back players (though I imagine this would likely never happen). 

I know that's not an original thought but it sure sounds a hell of a lot more fair than a fucking shootout.

I just came up with an idea. 

SUDDEN DEATH

After OT, each goal is moved 6 yards toward the midfield and one field player from each team is removed.

Corner kicks & goal kicks are still taken from the same spots  

2nd Sudden Death period: Goals moved 6 yards closer to midfield, 1 more player removed. Kicks taken from the same location. 

3rd Sudden Death period: Goals moved 6 more yards forward, so now each goal is at the 18 yard box line. The keeper, if you choose to keep one on, can only use his hands in the box behind the goal, or if he is standing inside the goal and smacks the ball before it has completely crossed the goal mouth. 

At this point each team has a maximum of 8 players each and the keeper has been basically eliminated. 

Continue moving the goals and removing players for 2 more 10 minute Sudden Death periods after after that, just remove players, but leave the goals in place. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

Got tickets for the Grenada game in June!

Are you an Austin FC season ticket holder?  I got the email for the waitlisters that pre-sale starts tomorrow morning, but nothing from American Outlaws like there was for Jamaica.

Don’t know about Chance, but Cade isn’t technical enough at the moment to be of much use to El Tri. (Or even the USMNT.)

But this is a good power play on their part. 

US Soccer should have single year teams all the way up to U-20 and those fuckers should be playing together at least every couple of months. 

You look at players in Europe and frequently their Wiki bio will show that they played: U-15, U-16, U-17, U-18, U-19…

Maybe the player will have missed one age group in there, but when the US U-20 squad doesn’t have a coach until the week before a tournament and haven’t played a single friendly together, all I can think is:

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!

Qualifying for the Tokyo Olympics should have been a major focus from the moment the USMNT didn’t qualify for Russia 2018 and it absolutely was barely an afterthought.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

28 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Pulisic to Juventus rumor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether it's Juve, staying at Chelsea, or elsewhere he needs to find a place where he's a starter and not a reserve. 

• Hook 'Em 2