USMNT 2022

Napoleon

Entertaining match for a scoreless draw. 

Scally looked in over his head, but wasn't this his first-ever start for the USMNT? Great learning experience.

Musah tries to do too much with the ball at his feet. Still, his quality and composure are undeniable. I know he features as a winger in La Liga but he seems more natural as a No.6. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts there in 2026, even if Tyler maintains his form.

On the right, Weah is a constant problem for defenses. Would he remain so if we slid him into the 9 slot? Smacks of desperation (so does my query about McKennie also potentially moving there), but this team needs a target.

On that note, where in hell is Pefok?

I won’t go so far saying Jesus is done, but we’ve tried him how long with nothing? It’s time for someone else to get a shot. Haji should start one of our next ones  

As far as the MLSers - some are fine and will work out on this team. But Nipple isn’t one of them. The guys has a motor and runs, but he is always behind plays. This was one of the first times it really showed because he other team had real top talent. He had 1 moment in this game and that was it.

38 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Entertaining match for a scoreless draw. 

Scally looked in over his head, but wasn't this his first-ever start for the USMNT? Great learning experience.

Musah tries to do too much with the ball at his feet. Still, his quality and composure are undeniable. I know he features as a winger in La Liga but he seems more natural as a No.6. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts there in 2026, even if Tyler maintains his form.

On the right, Weah is a constant problem for defenses. Would he remain so if we slid him into the 9 slot? Smacks of desperation (so does my query about McKennie also potentially moving there), but this team needs a target.

On that note, where in hell is Pefok?

Some soccer nerd will say it’s impossible, but honestly, if Gio is healthy, I want CP, Gio, Weah, Aaronson, Weston, Adams and Musah all in together. One time. And Weah makes as much sense as a quasi-9 than anyone else in that group I guess.  

Weah should absolutely get a look up top if the ineptitude from the true 9s continues. Pulisic is probably our best false 9 in a vacuum but we need him more involved than that. 

It's like drafting players in the NBA or NFL. Sometimes you draft for fit - sometimes you just need to take the best player and figure it out. At some point we just need to put our best 6 forwards and mids out there and see what happens. Plenty of the wings and AMs we have on the roster could bury some of these chances we keep whiffing on. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Weah should absolutely get a look up top if the ineptitude from the true 9s continues. Pulisic is probably our best false 9 in a vacuum but we need him more involved than that. 

It's like drafting players in the NBA or NFL. Sometimes you draft for fit - sometimes you just need to take the best player and figure it out. At some point we just need to put our best 6 forwards and mids out there and see what happens. Plenty of the wings and AMs we have on the roster could bury some of these chances we keep whiffing on. 

You know, if you must keep the MMA midfield, if we haven’t found our 9, maybe Gio is that guy, as best he can be. 

Pulisic - Gio - Weah 
MMA
Robinson - ???? -Zimmerman - Dest
Turner

I mean at some level just have your best talent out there  

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

You know, if you must keep the MMA midfield, if we haven’t found our 9, maybe Gio is that guy, as best he can be. 

Pulisic - Gio - Weah 
MMA
Robinson - ???? -Zimmerman - Dest
Turner

I mean at some level just have your best talent out there  

Gio would be a good target 9 but he lacks some top-end speed. Whereas Weah is usually the fastest dude on the pitch. Now - you can obviously debate whether speed is more important up top or on the wing. 

Gio is also a very good defender for his position. 

59 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Some soccer nerd will say it’s impossible, but honestly, if Gio is healthy, I want CP, Gio, Weah, Aaronson, Weston, Adams and Musah all in together. One time. And Weah makes as much sense as a quasi-9 than anyone else in that group I guess.  

Ignore me, I’m an idiot.  I guess you take Aaronson off of those 7.   But man I love him on the field. Maybe he is the super sub that sees time in every game.  I presume one of those 7 are hurt or not in form in November anyway.  

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Damn 0-0 MLS really sucks

You know, most of us WANT the MLS to crank out some World Cup talent. Because then we don’t need to rely on our best players being all across Europe, coming home and gelling in a short period of time. If the MLS could be a stream of players, then we have a much stronger core and hell, maybe a number of players that play together to make the squad.

We point to players that have no place on the team because they are liabilities. A guy like Nipple is wasting a roster spot of a better player. And for what? He isn’t beating out Aaronson or Weah. So at this point he is right on the edge. And the question is does he bring something that you must have instead of someone else? 

Jesus Christ if he wasn't an MLS player most of you  wouldn't go out of your way to try to talk shit about him. Please tell me what these MLS guys wasted in these 2 friendlies? Wow he had 2 bad runs and  omg that ball went off him that's complete shit, he's the worst and out of his element and Weah would have scored on those 2 runs. Gtfo this is dumb it's friendlies to figure out the roster. Let's throw Sargent and others out since they play in Europe

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

Actually if Sargent was even on this roster, Gregg should be fired. He hasn't scored in months and barely this year. We don't slobber all over him just because he "plays" (barely) in Europe. And in case you missed it there are a lot of people that are playing over there that a lot of people don't want or expect to see.

We go out of our way to talk shit about Nipple, A. because he has a dumb name and B. because Gergg goes out of his way to get him on the field when he has no business out there. The fact that he is an MLSer just makes the points obvious. 

So you want to know why I say that Arriola's appearance was a waste of time? Because he stalled out our second half attack time and again. I know there were wholesale changes at the half, but his inclusion pretty much ended any runs that we potentially had down the right and our scoring chances dried up. 7 shots in the first half, 2 in the second. It wasn't just 2 bad runs, that was maybe all that was chatted here. It was an entire half of one side of the field basically being closed. Uruguay's defense pretty much neutralized nipple the entire second half. He wasn't a threat with the ball or without unable to really find any space. He brought his motor, but it wasn't enough out there.

And the biggest thing is outside of Iran, in the group stage, those are the types of clamp down defenses we are going to face in Wales and England. Honestly, he would look just like Sargent out there, out classed and out matched.

You want MLSers on this team? Clone Walker Zimmerman. That guy has locked up his spot and with Robinson down I would love another Zimmerman to fill that spot. 

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I've met @Zepol87. He's a great guy, but he's wrong here and needs to put his FC Dallas loyalties aside for the good of the USMNT.

I've never met him, but I figured out long ago that he's a great dude. I was sincere in my comment about never seeing him rattled like this before. The big man is usually pretty chill.

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I've met @Zepol87. He's a great guy, but he's wrong here and needs to put his FC Dallas loyalties aside for the good of the USMNT.

And I think that this is one of the biggest things in all of International soccer - getting over your club biases. I mean, blame the other guys for blowing it for your country (like Arsenal's did for England in Euro 2022). But in the end, if your guys don't make it, that stinks, but we're all US fans here.

And in the end, that's the biggest thing - we're all US fans here. We want to see the US succeed. And I want to see our best players out there. I can't stand Chelsea, but no way I would ever let that blind me into thinking Pulisic isn't a lock for the starting 11 day in day out for the USMNT (baring injury). And hey, if the MLS can crank out guys that I see making the USMNT good - put them out there. But again I want the best, and the guy I see out there isn't going to put any fear into anyone we're going to face in Qatar.

The ability Musah has to break the press and gallop for 40 yards is pretty incredible. His end product lacks a little but he is only 19. 

It is looking like a real possibility that Reyna and Aaronson will be coming off the bench. You can’t take Weah off, Aaronson could push Musah out i suppose. A lot of exciting options!

Really sucks about Miles Robinson… I was really digging him and Zimmerman in the back. Hopefully Richards has a great year and settles into CB2 

Weah
Aaronson Pulisic
Gio Weston
Adams

I’m curious but hopeful Pepi will take over. Aaronson covers enough ground and plays some very solid D to cover underneath when Gio makes any run. McKinney and Pulisic have played together forever and know what each other thinks. Problem is Weah creates so many problems on the wing that most teams can’t match at the back. He’s a legit problem for Harry Maquire out wide and Bo Davies against Wales.
  • Like 1

I want to see Reyna play injury-free soccer for a month before I start penciling him in to lineups. For me, he is at-best a super-sub at the moment.

I think there's going to be ample time in these 3 games to get everyone minutes, so I actually think we have a really great problem in the midfield. I don't think the lack of an in-form 9 means we're doomed offensively, but if we combine that with the terrible set piece service from CP, that's not good. 

Key things we need going into the fall is a keeper who is actually playing club ball and Chris Richards to get healthy and in-form. I think we have the squad to get results against Wales and Iran, but I have some serious concerns when we need to have a tactical adjustment during a game. It seems like we have zero ability to come up with a plan B. Example like today when Uruguay switched to a 4-4-2 and shredded us. 

To me, this all comes down to the first game. Win the game vs Wales and that gives you tons of options the rest of group play. A draw obviously doesn't kill you, but I'd rather go into the Iran game needing a draw rather than a win to advance. 

We are talking about June friendlies here, do I think Jesus and nipple should be starting in the WC? Of course not I agree with that but all the euro snops cometely dismiss anyone in MLS., yes they even shit on Zimmerman in the past but to say they are completely outclassed is comical. Also anyone wanting Pepi to play doesn't pay attention, since moving to Ausberg he's been beyond complete shit but yay Europe!! 

• Hook 'Em 1

This article from a couple weeks ago says that "Josh Sargent, Jordan Pefok and Daryl Dike are presently hurt." That probably explains why the USMNT didn't have a striker that could head the ball in.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/can-usmnt-solve-striker-center-back-questions-with-world-cup-six-months-out

I hope against lesser competition, Gerg experiments with Weah at striker. It might be worthwhile to kick the tires on Pepi again come the November round of Nations League if he's faring well in Bundesliga. 

I also wanted to see Nicholas Gioacchini get called up again (he's a winger) and it would be more worthwhile since the likes of Arriola are a known quantity. 

But if the USMNT can keep getting service into the box like they were doing today, Pefok should be the choice at striker. 

Ok for all your euro folks Pepi isn't doing anything worth a fuck. I know he plays in bundesliga so he must be amazing and you all love him because of that and he wasn't shit at FC Dallas but no he's been in complete shit form since going over there. He should be playing now to get minutes in our system vs waiting for WC 

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

bitchmodeactivatedcrabbykillyoufuckyou.g

Because of the Pepi comment? Have you watched him lately I bet you haven't because Ausberg isn't really available on tv unless it's ppv and he also has not played much and hasn't doesn't shit when playing. What is "bitch mode activated"

Edited by Zepol87

8 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Ok for all your euro folks Pepi isn't doing anything worth a fuck. I know he plays in bundesliga so he must be amazing and you all love him because of that and he wasn't shit at FC Dallas but no he's been in complete shit form since going over there. He should be playing now to get minutes in our system vs waiting for WC 

Pepi has been terrible. I hope no one is counting on him to do anything in Qatar. He had one good game for the US and everyone anointed him, since then he has been awful. 

• Haha 1

Found some extended highlights. 

I don't know how in the fuck we haven't conceded in these first two as sloppy as we've been along the back line. 

The quality in the mid and on the wing is honestly incredible compared to some past US teams. There really aren't more than a handful of teams as dynamic as we are when it comes to consistently creating chances either with a numbers advantage or when the D is caught out of position. Pulisic looks so comfortable right now and mentally sharp. If anything I thought he had played a few too mins through these first couple but continuing to let him build chemistry out there is looking like a good move.

Just have to finish more 50/50 balls. I'm not giving up on Jesus and think that if we have to roll the dice with anyone it should be him. 

I'm not sure what the solution is for the CB and two FB spots other than pray that Dest is healthy and that we can get enough production from CCV, EPB, Cannon, Richards and Yedlin. It's nice getting guys like Scally experience but he's too green to get run in Qatar. 

Between Turner and Sean John I think we should be at least competent in front of the net - and this was a bit of a concern a few months ago. 

Arriola didn't make the 13 min highlight reel. So I will neither commend nor criticize him. 

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Calling my shot:

USA 1-Wales 1

USA 0-England 2

USA 3-Iran 1

Advancement will depend on goal differential in Wales-Iran game. 

If we open with those two games, we are fucked. Draw-Loss will not get us through. I wouldn't be shocked to see a boring 1-1 draw between Wales and England to KO the US. no, we need at least 2 points coming out of games 1 and 2 to give ourselves a chance. Frankly, I think we need to do everything we can to beat Wales and make the England game of no-consequence.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Found some extended highlights. 

I don't know how in the fuck we haven't conceded in these first two as sloppy as we've been along the back line. 

The quality in the mid and on the wing is honestly incredible compared to some past US teams. There really aren't more than a handful of teams as dynamic as we are when it comes to consistently creating chances either with a numbers advantage or when the D is caught out of position. Pulisic looks so comfortable right now and mentally sharp. If anything I thought he had played a few too mins through these first couple but continuing to let him build chemistry out there is looking like a good move.

Just have to finish more 50/50 balls. I'm not giving up on Jesus and think that if we have to roll the dice with anyone it should be him. 

I'm not sure what the solution is for the CB and two FB spots other than pray that Dest is healthy and that we can get enough production from CCV, EPB, Cannon, Richards and Yedlin. It's nice getting guys like Scally experience but he's too green to get run in Qatar. 

Between Turner and Sean John I think we should be at least competent in front of the net - and this was a bit of a concern a few months ago. 

Arriola didn't make the 13 min highlight reel. So I will neither commend nor criticize him. 

Not sure which "first two" you mean

4:30 - Nunez just had a bad first touch, the cross was just ahead of the attacking player.

7:15 - A poor cross that was just ahead of all of Uruguay's attack.

9:25 - Good heads up play by Yedlin. He recognized the open net was going to be there and filled it as best he could, which was perfect.

But in most of the cases they caught us with our wing backs up and countered perfectly. It's the type of attack we are going to face in the WC and it does need some work.

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

Not sure which "first two" you mean

4:30 - Nunez just had a bad first touch, the cross was just ahead of the attacking player.

7:15 - A poor cross that was just ahead of all of Uruguay's attack.

9:25 - Good heads up play by Yedlin. He recognized the open net was going to be there and filled it as best he could, which was perfect.

But in most of the cases they caught us with our wing backs up and countered perfectly. It's the type of attack we are going to face in the WC and it does need some work.

First two friendlies.