USMNT 2022

Napoleon

18 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Sarge with a brace for NOR vs Millwall. Two nice goals too, not some poacher stuff.

I did nazi this coming. 

1) Good for him!

2) I don’t like this.

3) I would like an extended season+ of good form and understanding what he needs to do on the field before getting called up, not 1 to 3 random acts of excellence that will get him into the squad only to look completely out of his element in the WC.

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I did nazi this coming. 

1) Good for him!

2) I don’t like this.

3) I would like an extended season+ of good form and understanding what he needs to do on the field before getting called up, not 1 to 3 random acts of excellence that will get him into the squad only to look completely out of his element in the WC.

He should get a chance to prove himself in camp and in the friendly matches next month. He is a pressing machine, he’s always been that and firs the system, but just couldn’t score 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I did nazi this coming. 

1) Good for him!

2) I don’t like this.

Regarding No.2--relax. It is always good to have options and to have more players in form than not.

I'd much rather risk a premature Sargent callup than trotting out retreads like Altidore or Zardes. (The A to Z of, "Thank you for your service, but we're done here.)

I am very happy for Sargent in that he's had a lengthy struggle with form and confidence. Keep it up, Big Red.

Hope to see Hoppe highlights in the coming months, as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mittens said:

1st one: 

The way he takes this little cheeky pass and confidently slots it is EXACTLY the kind of play we need with our current team and the way they like to handle possession. Long Ball With Pepi just isn't it and we won't find form with that in the WC aside from maybe Iran. I'm quite tired of watching Jedi shank the ball all over the 18 in hopes Pepi connects a random header. Coincidentally, this is why Pepi pairs best with Dest with his brilliant crosses, but I'm not gonna cross my fingers that Dest'll be fit for Qatar. 

• Like 2

Sargent is a goal scorer who never really scored goals as a professional. Finally playing at a level where he can develop this and get some confidence vs being with a shitty Bundesliga or EPL team where you get smashed every week. This is why I like young strikers to go to Holland, even Bradley scored 13 in one season there. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Jordan Morris crushes home the go ahead goal for Seattle after being down 2-0 to the Galaxy in Carson, CA.

Side note, the British douche announcer John Champion is a fucking moron. 

He is pronouncing former Barcelona academy product Riqui Puig’s last name like a fucking moron. 

Instead of “Pweeg”, like it should be pronounced, he is pronouncing it:

”Pooge” to rhyme with “Splooge”.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Side note, the British douche announcer John Champion is a fucking moron. 

He is pronouncing former Barcelona academy product Riqui Puig’s last name like a fucking moron. 

Instead of “Pweeg”, like it should be pronounced, he is pronouncing it:

”Pooge” to rhyme with “Splooge”.

ChampionDerek Rae is the most pretentious shitheel in the broadcast game. Like whenever he says Munich, he uses the long EE for the I and goes soft on the "ch," yet simultaneously emphasizes it, cuz he desperately wants you to hear the special treatment he's giving it.

Except "Munich" is already an anglicization, so just say it how everyone else says it. If you wanna German it up, then at least have the courtesy to say München.

EDIT: I'm confusing Champion with Derek Rae. I actually like Champion, although Nap's complaint is still valid. Derek Rae is the object of my scorn.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

Sargent has always been good at everything but actually scoring at the national team level. If he starts scoring regularly, he's a perfect fit for everything we're looking for in a 9.

He scored at very high rates for the youth national teams, just not the senior team.

I know we have to keep tabs on it and make it a fluid evaluation as no one has locked the 9 down yet and we don't have enough games to not factor in club performance - but honestly - I don't give a fuck what these guys are doing for their clubs. Show me when you put the other shirt on. 

Obviously I'm glad when any nat plays well, but none of this moves the needle much for me. 

i watched a bit of the Augsborg match today and holy shit that team SUCCCCCKS. They couldn't string two passes together much less feed pepi in stride or loft something up to him in his general vicinity. He is so fucked. I really don't think his poor form is his doing. They have him playing so far back just to help the defense/mf mitigate damage which limits his ability to make runs or be in a useful space. I couldn't even tell what position he was playing but it wasnt the 9.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

He shouldn't even be in the conversation. Ausberg was a terrible move and he has been very bad 

He’s in the conversation because he started off hot with the USMNT, he is very good at the high press, and he combines very well going forward with his USMNT teammates. 

Club form only matters if you can reproduce it with the national team. Also, it’s what gets your foot in the door. After that, what matters is:

Form with the Nats > Club Form

Pulisic would do well at any La Liga team not named Atletico Madrid.

Simeone isn’t a Mou park the bus kinda guy but he is about a 4-4-2 that drops into a 4-5-1 triangle pressing in their own half. He makes everyone commit to defense first often relying more on set pieces for scoring opportunities in the 2nd half of games.

Pulisic would do well at Valencia, Villarreal and Real Betis are all free flowing midfields where Pulisic could expand his game

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok good.  I'm not crazy.  I watched the game and thought Adams was, very much, the best player on the field.  

I feel like Adams has always been very good at disrupting play and causing turnovers, but the quick decision making and passing were superb today I thought. Reading the comments from Leeds Twitter or Facebook page and the fans love him.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I'm definitely more optimistic regarding Qatar than I was a week ago.  Pefok can't stop scoring and Sargent looked fantastic as well. 
Next step is for Turner and Richards to see the field more in the Prem but that will take some injuries.

EFL Cup starts this week. Arsenal isn’t playing this week but Turner should be getting some action soon. Leeds however do play against Barnsley on Wednesday and Norwich plays tomorrow. We will get to see what kind of depth Leeds has and hopefully Sargent will still get the start on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Damn, I didn't realize the schedule and it sucks for Matt Turner.  I thought the 3rd round of the EFL was in September, and with FA Cup starting in November too its really limiting the number of chances in goal for him before this stupid ass Qatar WC. 

Taking this from the Cup thread because it’s more appropriate here.

All true, but Turner should get to play in Europa League. If he doesn’t, the Arteta is an idiot. European play starts in early Sept. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

… Turner should get to play in Europa League. If he doesn’t, the Arteta is an idiot. European play starts in early Sept. 

I hope that he gets to play the Europa matches and/or picks up a few random matches, but no matter what…

I hope that he is practicing his ball skills on a daily basis with a coach/coaches who understand how to train a keeper to do more than just throw the ball or boot the shit out of it. When Arena was a keeper, the sweeper was the guy who maybe, maybe played out of the back. Keepers never did that shit. (Especially on Long Island.)

Turner is several grades above Steffen as a shot stopper and by the end of his days in Qualifying/MLS, it looked like he had just about caught up with Steffen in the foot skills department. (Steffen is credited with being good with his feet, but I would put him at below average for a modern keeper. But Turner was on the level of a basketball player recruited to play keeper just a couple of years ago, so Steffen got a lot of praise.)

Steffen has been an anointed keeper since at least his U-17 days with the national team, but his spacial awareness, control of the box, and decision making are shockingly suspect 10 years on. The only time he excels are on reflex reactions from medium-short range. You like that in a keeper, but that may or may not even happen once a game. Giving up 2 goals instead of 3 every 5 games is not preferable to giving up 1 or fewer goals/game on average. 

6 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Taking this from the Cup thread because it’s more appropriate here.

All true, but Turner should get to play in Europa League. If he doesn’t, the Arteta is an idiot. European play starts in early Sept. 

I totally forgot Europa even existed. This makes me feel better!