USMNT 2022

Napoleon

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I hope that he gets to play the Europa matches and/or picks up a few random matches, but no matter what…

I hope that he is practicing his ball skills on a daily basis with a coach/coaches who understand how to train a keeper to do more than just throw the ball or boot the shit out of it. When Arena was a keeper, the sweeper was the guy who maybe, maybe played out of the back. Keepers never did that shit. (Especially on Long Island.)

Turner is several grades above Steffen as a shot stopper and by the end of his days in Qualifying/MLS, it looked like he had just about caught up with Steffen in the foot skills department. (Steffen is credited with being good with his feet, but I would put him at below average for a modern keeper. But Turner was on the level of a basketball player recruited to play keeper just a couple of years ago, so Steffen got a lot of praise.)

Steffen has been an anointed keeper since at least his U-17 days with the national team, but his spacial awareness, control of the box, and decision making are shockingly suspect 10 years on. The only time he excels are on reflex reactions from medium-short range. You like that in a keeper, but that may or may not even happen once a game. Giving up 2 goals instead of 3 every 5 games is not preferable to giving up 1 or fewer goals/game on average. 

I would LOVE to see Turner pick up a few things from Ramsdale re: ball distribution, which i know they are working on daily. Ramsdale is a freak when it comes to distributing. i saw an interview with Rob Holding in july where a guy from EA was quizzing him on who he thought had the highest FIFA rating in various categories. when it came to passing, Homding immediately said "Ramsdale", lol.

i know that Arteta wants his keepers to be part of the build up, and that he believes that Turner has the qualities to excel there. Ramsdale nearly bagged an assist on match day 1 when pinged one perfectly beyond the defense and got Jesus in on goal 1 v 1 with the keeper. if Turner could be that kind of guy for the US it would be a new feature for the USMNT that we've never had before.

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I hope that he gets to play the Europa matches and/or picks up a few random matches, but no matter what…

I hope that he is practicing his ball skills on a daily basis with a coach/coaches who understand how to train a keeper to do more than just throw the ball or boot the shit out of it. When Arena was a keeper, the sweeper was the guy who maybe, maybe played out of the back. Keepers never did that shit. (Especially on Long Island.)

Turner is several grades above Steffen as a shot stopper and by the end of his days in Qualifying/MLS, it looked like he had just about caught up with Steffen in the foot skills department. (Steffen is credited with being good with his feet, but I would put him at below average for a modern keeper. But Turner was on the level of a basketball player recruited to play keeper just a couple of years ago, so Steffen got a lot of praise.)

Steffen has been an anointed keeper since at least his U-17 days with the national team, but his spacial awareness, control of the box, and decision making are shockingly suspect 10 years on. The only time he excels are on reflex reactions from medium-short range. You like that in a keeper, but that may or may not even happen once a game. Giving up 2 goals instead of 3 every 5 games is not preferable to giving up 1 or fewer goals/game on average. 

I would LOVE to see Turner pick up a few things from Ramsdale re: ball distribution, which i know they are working on daily. Ramsdale is a freak when it comes to distributing. i saw an interview with Rob Holding in july where a guy from EA was quizzing him on who he thought had the highest FIFA rating in various categories. when it came to passing, Homding immediately said "Ramsdale", lol.

i know that Arteta wants his keepers to be part of the build up, and that he believes that Turner has the qualities to excel there. Ramsdale nearly bagged an assist on match day 1 when pinged one perfectly beyond the defense and got Jesus in on goal 1 v 1 with the keeper. if Turner could be that kind of guy for the US it would be a new feature for the USMNT that we've never had before.

32 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Both Rangers and Leeds playing this afternoon. Work can get done tomorrow. 

Wonder how much run TA and BA get (if any). I guess it's Leeds so they might not be looking to punt an early round EFL game against a decent opponent. 

Edited by ztejas

33 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Not much to argue with there I don’t as of today. Not how I pictured the #9 shaping out, but it’s accurate as of today.

I am fine with that, I guess,   Given relative depth up front, would like to see us be more creative on the wings than Morris and Arriola.  But when I look at depth charts, not sure who that would be.

15 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I am fine with that, I guess,   Given relative depth up front, would like to see us be more creative on the wings than Morris and Arriola.  But when I look at depth charts, not sure who that would be.

There is also a lot of flexability up front as well to where I am not sure Morris or Arriola would really ever see the field. Of course then there is Gregg.  

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

With a lot of silly time, grade some lineup that randos are posting on twitter:

I'd start Musah and just rotate CP/Aaronson/Weah at the wings - give them ~60 mins each (probably more mins for CP and BA). 

And I've always rated Chrus Ruchards. 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.04f9752db49918faf80cb14330e2193b.png

It's aggravating. He's ironically become underrated since he never plays and when he does it's out of position half the time. Obviously he's had some fitness issues but that hasn't been an issue for awhile now. 

11 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

At least he stayin bubble wrapped on the bench...sucks he aint gettin much burn.

i dont think he can do 90 mins game in and game out for EPL and stay injury free

send that dude back to Germany on loan.. or go play with Weston 

A. Nobody can do that except keepers. Everyone one takes games off.

B. This whole him being injury prone is such a joke. Dude isn't made of glass. He injured his ankle last season, came back and played really well for months with no issues.

3 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

If you pay attention to everything I said 3 1/2 years ago and forget about everything I have said for the last 2 years up until this past week…

Then you will remember that I said that Josh Sargent will be the USMNT #9 for the next 10 years (now about 6 more years) with those tree trunk legs. 

I am going back to what I said in late 2018 => 2019. 

🤥

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Did Ferreira get kidnapped like in Celtic Pride?

I like Jesús, but Pepi can do pretty much everything that Jesús can do, but he's bigger and has a harder shot.

Jesús is playing much better with FC Dallas than Pepi is playing with Augsburg, but if Gregg took the lineup above, I wouldn't complain.

I like Jesús, but Pepi can do pretty much everything that Jesús can do, but he's bigger and has a harder shot.
Jesús is playing much better with FC Dallas than Pepi is playing with Augsburg, but if Gregg took the lineup above, I wouldn't complain.

I get the Logic but I’m not taking a 19 year old #9 on a scoreless streak lasting over a year over someone who has scored 20+ in that same span.

Pepi over Haji you can talk me into as Haji and Pefok are almost the same person but I would rather have Pefok.

11 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Here’s another

We can't find one 9 worth a shit and this dude thinks we need to bring 4 to Qatar not including Jesus? 

Hopefully his brain was fried having to deal with a 4 mo old in the middle of the night. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If you pay attention to everything I said 3 1/2 years ago and forget about everything I have said for the last 2 years up until this past week…

Then you will remember that I said that Josh Sargent will be the USMNT #9 for the next 10 years (now about 6 more years) with those tree trunk legs. 

I am going back to what I said in late 2018 => 2019. 

🤥

pixellated gif can't see shit

bad QA

bad poster should feel bad about providing bad video