USMNT 2022

Napoleon

9 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

With 2 of our big 3 not delivering (CP, Weston), Yunus has been bringing the highlights. Him and Aaronson might replace them real soon. 

CP will be fine if we play him where he's supposed to be and pass him the ball. 

Musah isn't really a "replacement" for WM. We can play them together. We can play CP and BA together, too. 

Having more players than spots available isn't a bad thing. 

is Balogun still undecided? he's on loan in France and is bagging goals. would absolutely love to have him for the duration of his career, he has the talent to be our all time leading scorer if he were to spend his national team career with the USMNT. 

5DE16C36-BE55-44D8-BF85-A686FA327737.jpeg

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

is Balogun still undecided? he's on loan in France and is bagging goals. would absolutely love to have him for the duration of his career, he has the talent to be our all time leading scorer if he were to spend his national team career with the USMNT. 

5DE16C36-BE55-44D8-BF85-A686FA327737.jpeg

He played for English U-21s last year and did well (six goals in 11 matches), so I think that's where his heart is. The Three Lions would be stupid not to do everything in their power to bring him into the fold, permanently.

Seem to recall a video from last year in which Musah was talking about his efforts to lobby the USMNT to Balogun. You never know.

26 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

He played for English U-21s last year and did well (six goals in 11 matches), so I think that's where his heart is. The Three Lions would be stupid not to do everything in their power to bring him into the fold, permanently.

Seem to recall a video from last year in which Musah was talking about his efforts to lobby the USMNT to Balogun. You never know.

His club play last year saw him play limited minutes on loan and have a minimal impact on goals scored. That may have had something to do with his offensive gifts being misplaced with a team in the Championship that didn’t play to his strengths.

The French game is more technical than the English Championship and that aligns more with the way Arsenal plays… and the way the 3 Lions play.

I wouldn’t expect Balogun to make a decision before the spring of ‘24 at the earliest. If he made a switch, then he could play in the Olympics in Paris.

I think that he has a clearer path to the first team with England to be the #9 after Harry Kane (29 y.o.) than he does to be the clear #9 in the US where there is a mess of #9s between the ages of 19 and 24.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Good point. No telling what the Gergg will do.

My guess is it'll be a non-issue for him ... cuz it is.

FYI…

Miles Robinson is out until next year with a torn Achilles due to playing on Atlanta’s shitty turf. 

I know that most on this thread know that, but some are clueless. 

29 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Matt Turner starting for Arsenal today.  

Finally! Granted it wasn’t likely that he was going to see action without a Ramsdale injury, so this was his earliest likely appearance. Hope the dude impresses.

Hope he gets some real saves to show his stuff. 

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 mins: Tosin, 45 yards out, spots Turner off his line and tries to go over the Arsenal goalkeeper but he reacts in time to avoid embarrassment

8 mins: More idiocy from Arsenal as goalkeeper Turner dithers on the ball on the byline, eventually passing it straight to a Zurich player who whacks the ball off the post via a deflection. The subsequent corner is then flapped at by Turner who gives another one away. Not an encouraging start on his debut.

Only one thing left to do...with all respect.  

Beat the living shit outta Wales and England.  Piss in their mouths.  Fuck their mothers and sisters.  Remind them of their place.  Bow respectfully to the queen's resting place.  Then torch their homes.  It's Mourning in England.  And It's Morning in America.  Time to party fuckfaces..........football is back and our soil is ripe with your blood

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Only one thing left to do...with all respect.  

Beat the living shit outta Wales and England.  Piss in their mouths.  Fuck their mothers and sisters.  Remind them of their place.  Bow respectfully to the queen's resting place.  Then torch their homes.  It's Mourning in England.  And It's Morning in America.  Time to party fuckfaces..........football is back and our soil is ripe with your blood

Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, alincoln said:

59 mins: Tosin, 45 yards out, spots Turner off his line and tries to go over the Arsenal goalkeeper but he reacts in time to avoid embarrassment

8 mins: More idiocy from Arsenal as goalkeeper Turner dithers on the ball on the byline, eventually passing it straight to a Zurich player who whacks the ball off the post via a deflection. The subsequent corner is then flapped at by Turner who gives another one away. Not an encouraging start on his debut.

Yikes.

Still outside of the penalty, he kept the ball out of the net. Not ideal considering everything, but this wasn't that bad.

36 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The bottom line is that we won't have any confidence in our GK going into the WC.  Average play from that position would be a pleasant surprise

I have confidence in Turner. I'm not reading into his first big-time start ever that was on the road in a hostile environment after being called up unexpectedly. He was clearly really nervous. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The bottom line is that we won't have any confidence in our GK going into the WC.  Average play from that position would be a pleasant surprise

This combined with talk of sitting CP (not you but I'm hearing it), etc we are seriously jumping the gun here.

I am of the ilk we hold up before we make judgements on a lot of guys. Turner hasn't played a competitive match in over 3 months. I didn't watch this one, though I am taking note on the two points you pulled from the Guardian as it happened report. So I might have some opinions soon.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I have confidence in Turner. I'm not reading into his first big-time start ever that was on the road in a hostile environment after being called up unexpectedly. He was clearly really nervous. 

Was this unexpected? I'm pretty sure that any EPL team is going to play their #2 keeper in the group stage of Europa.

But I agree, I am going to hold judgement on A. the first start (3 months from his last real game) and in these conditions.

Edited by Captain Ron

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Was this unexpected? I'm pretty sure that any EPL team is going to play their #2 keeper in the group stage of Europa.

But I agree, I am going to hold judgement on A. the first start (3 months from his last real game) and in these conditions.

Good point. He probably would have played anyway. Ramsdale was unavailable, though, and may be unavailable this weekend (if they play).

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

First I apologize for no pictures on this, Paramount+ doesn't allow for screen captures and I am not in the mood to make it work, so ...

This was certainly a team effort by Gabriel along with Turner. The ball played to corner, drawing Turner out to his left to the edge of the box. Gabriel played a slow, lazy and offline pass back to Turner. Turner had rush to keep it in play. He held it (his mistake) and then his pass out was intercepted (it wasn't straight to the player). The shot was going to need to be something special as it was taken along the end line and had a very narrow angle to go in (it also didn't look like it was touched by anyone before going out).

The first corner shouldn't have been played by Turner, so I agree that was silly. But he wanted to make sure no one did anything with it (if there was a player there).

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

That's just English bias. From the real time play and the replay that ball was NEVER a problem for Turner, he handled it easily. Tosin glanced at him and took an ill advised shot that never had a chance.

I'll let the Arsenal fans give a better analysis of his overall performance, but from these little windows I peaked in, I don't see anything that has me worried too much. Given the time, place, circumstances, it sounds like he did well.