2022 Annual of Three Putting

ocugolf

I had tennis elbow which is micro tears on a different tendon on the other side of the elbow.  I found that heat was way better than ice.  And do the other things you mentioned.  You may need formal PT.  Rest is key.  I didn’t rest mine as I should have and I could not play tennis for about 20 months.  I could play golf.  Doctor said it wouldn’t hurt it further but it was like picking a scab.  I also wore the bandit brace all day except for when I slept.  

I just developed it in my left elbow/forearm this summer. Haven’t played in a month to try to let it heal. Picked up a club in the garage a couple days ago and the pain has gotten worse. Went to the ortho and they said to wear a wrist brace and use arthritis cream. Hope I’m not down for many months because once kid #2 arrives in January it’ll be even harder to find time to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

After never having any joint issues, I developed tennis elbow this spring.  It started to get pretty bad, then I hit a long iron fat and it was debilitating.  It was on hole #3, and I could only putt the rest of the round.  It was so bad that I couldn't even pick up my coffee mug out of the cup holder in my truck.  I had played very little golf in the preceding 5+ years, and really started playing / practicing more and made a pretty dramatic swing change that I think all contributed.  

I ended up getting a cortizone shot, and that helped a ton.  I was religious with my own PT, and it honestly fixed the issue.  I used this product and it really helped.  Had it not gotten better, I would have had to put the clubs down.  Been pretty good the last few weeks with only the occasional pain.

https://www.gripxt.com/products/

• Hook 'Em 1

Another thing to consider is that these elbow tendon injuries are extremely variable and unique to each individual.  One size does not fit all.  In my case, I had always believed that tennis elbow was a minor thing that would go away in a week or two.  After the pain started i took a couple of Advil and played in a tournament and I injured it further and then I was 20 months in rehab and reduced activity and zero tennis.  But then some people do heal in a matter of weeks.  Some injuries are more severe than others and people heal differently and people have different pain tolerances.  Age also matters.  The safe thing is to quit or severely reduce activities until the pain goes completely away and then wait another month before resuming the activity that caused it.  As for cortisone shots, I had three of them spaced out over several months.  They helped for a while but the pain always came back.  

Played yesterday after work.  Best I've struck my irons in a long time.  Went 40-41.  Mini meltdown on 16-17-18 where I went bogey-bogey-double.  Also missed two birdie putts inside of 10' and had an unfortunate double on the front due to a bad bounce off a sprinkler head in the middle of the fairway.  First legit shot at breaking 80 in ages.  Golf is a whole lot more fun when you're improving.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Golf is funny as shit. I played my best round at Lions on Saturday and shot a 78. Hit 14 of 18 GIR. I had been hovering around 82 for the last many rounds there. I should've shot even par if I didn't fold like a cheap whore on makeable birdie and up/down putts.

Yesterday afternoon, I walked Hancock for my usual mid-week Hancock practice round. I was expecting a continuation of my Saturday game. Instead I was shanking balls all over the course. It was fucking embarrassing. I fucking hate this game.

23 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Played yesterday after work.  Best I've struck my irons in a long time.  Went 40-41.  Mini meltdown on 16-17-18 where I went bogey-bogey-double.  Also missed two birdie putts inside of 10' and had an unfortunate double on the front due to a bad bounce off a sprinkler head in the middle of the fairway.  First legit shot at breaking 80 in ages.  Golf is a whole lot more fun when you're improving.  

Don't worry, you'll shoot 86 your next round. Because golf.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I’d love some rain. Maybe get rid of all these big cracks in the yard. 🤬

Houston can export some.  My buddy lives on the 18th at Weston Lakes and they got 3.86 inches at the clubhouse last Saturday.

Braeburn was carts on path yesterday.  (Played tips combo tees, shot 92 with 2 kick in birdies (12 handicap for reference).  The rough was ROUGH and I made double on 3 par 3s that were 190+.  Drove OB 2x.  Short game was embarrassing.  I did hit the 18th green from 237 out so I will keep coming back.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/31/2022 at 7:18 AM, htown85 said:

Pinehurst in a month. Trying to fill an open morning with an off site course. Having a hard time with Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Southern Pines. Any suggestions?

Southern Pines is dope.  Can't speak to the others. What courses are you playing at Pinehurst?

There was a better article on al.com.  it seems that someone stored the poison bag in the same area as the sand. It was supposed to be stored under lock and key somewhere else. They were going to replace the bermuda greens with a newer type of bermuda in 2024. Looks like that is now 2023

22 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

There was a better article on al.com.  it seems that someone stored the poison bag in the same area as the sand. It was supposed to be stored under lock and key somewhere else. They were going to replace the bermuda greens with a newer type of bermuda in 2024. Looks like that is now 2023

Damn. I run a Continuous Process Improvement team. Process failures are interesting to me. This seems like a extremely simple thing to manage. But humans have a predisposition for fucking up simple shit.

I imagine a few people got fired over this. Won't recoup the millions lost tho.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

East River Par 3 course in Eado area (technically it's in the 5th Ward)      https://eastriver9.com/

didn't play the course but it looks nice. fantastic views. they built a nice sports bar area. the views on the driving range are freaking great, hitting dead into a view of downtown. everything around it is still under construction / weird. I hope to play it soon 

After all these years of being a mediocre at best golfer (15 handicap right now) I finally got fitted for clubs with the hopes of getting that handicap down to single digits.   Hopefully the way I hit in the fitting translates to the course but the woods and irons I ended up getting were a huge improvement over my current sticks based on the computer stats.  Looking forward to practicing with the new ones and getting better at this game.

CSB-was also cool that Sheffler was working out there while I was doing my irons fitting.  The guy fitting me was working on Scotty's new irons that morning as he said he was switching from blades to some other Taylor Made iron I guess.  

• Hook 'Em 1

What kind of grips do you guys prefer?  I haven't re-gripped mine in ages and am looking around on Amazon for options.  I know Winn makes nice stuff, but $105 for 13 grips seems a little crazy.  Champkey looks similar.  Anyone familiar with those?

ETA - Golf Pride gets a lot of love too but are even more expensive than the Winn - more like $175 for 13. 

Edited by The Royal We

33 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

What kind of grips do you guys prefer?  I haven't re-gripped mine in ages and am looking around on Amazon for options.  I know Winn makes nice stuff, but $105 for 13 grips seems a little crazy.  Champkey looks similar.  Anyone familiar with those?

ETA - Golf Pride gets a lot of love too but are even more expensive than the Winn - more like $175 for 13. 

back in the day, I re-gripped 1000's and 1000's of clubs. even back then, putting wraps underneath the lower half as a thing ...

The MCC Plus4™ is a tour-proven, hybrid golf grip featuring a larger lower hand and new softer rubber material. The MCC Plus4 simulates 4 additional wraps of tape on the lower hand to encourages lighter grip pressure, reduced tension, and increased power.

I'm not big on Winn grips. Golf Pride is tough to beat. Pay a professional to do the job 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

back in the day, I re-gripped 1000's and 1000's of clubs. even back then, putting wraps underneath the lower half as a thing ...

The MCC Plus4™ is a tour-proven, hybrid golf grip featuring a larger lower hand and new softer rubber material. The MCC Plus4 simulates 4 additional wraps of tape on the lower hand to encourages lighter grip pressure, reduced tension, and increased power.

I'm not big on Winn grips. Golf Pride is tough to beat. Pay a professional to do the job 

Or pay @capnamerca  

@longhorn10, you still got that how to video?

I've been using Iomic's for years. Big fan. Not a huge following here in the states, I think they're bigger in Japan though. My favorite grip are the Best Grip leather grips but they are expensive - I've only used them on clubs I know I'll keep for a while.

Whichever you pick, learn to do them yourself. Pretty simple process and lots of how to's out there.

On 11/1/2022 at 4:51 PM, tx 3 putt said:

I ended up going with these, bought them at a golf store in Dallas but will have to put them on myself.  I've done it before with no problems but will need to watch a few videos to make sure I don't forget anything.  I really like the way they felt and from everything I read they should last for a long time too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I ended up going with these, bought them at a golf store in Dallas but will have to put them on myself.  I've done it before with no problems but will need to watch a few videos to make sure I don't forget anything.  I really like the way they felt and from everything I read they should last for a long time too.

Great feel, love the more tapered design. Yes, they last a very long time 

Find one of these or something similar, makes the job much easier 

EC26DE80-B5B5-4A39-8B9E-25AAC8B62EE1.webp.5c3f0cf627f86bd48dedd7cb0ffcca91.webp

get two way tape. One long piece over the end and as close to the bottom of the grip as you can get. Do you a have a vice or set up ? Align the club head square. 

Finger over the grip hole. Fluid and flip / spread inside. Pour over tape. I always used plenty of fluid. Align grip before slipping on, be quick. Slide on and final align. Don’t diddle daddle. Get it on and square it up asap 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

get two way tape. One long piece over the end and as close to the bottom of the grip as you can get. Do you a have a vice or set up ? Align the club head square. 

Finger over the grip hole. Fluid and flip / spread inside. Pour over tape. I always used plenty of fluid. Align grip before slipping on, be quick. Slide on and final align. Don’t diddle daddle. Get it on and square it up asap 

Also get the hooked knife blade to cut the old one off. Man I miss Golfsmith for stuff like this. I actually did all my woods once with a steak knife in a Residence Inn room. Wasn't too bad except for not having a vice

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Is that for scraping off the old tape?

I've got a workbench with a vise at one end of it and bought a kit with tape/solvent/cutter.  The only thing I'm a little concerned about is getting the grips lined up properly so they don't mindfuck me at setup if they are a little off kilter.  All the grips I've put on in the past were wraps were that didn't matter as much.

Thank you for the tips!

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

Is that for scraping off the old tape?

I've got a workbench with a vise at one end of it and bought a kit with tape/solvent/cutter.  The only thing I'm a little concerned about is getting the grips lined up properly so they don't mindfuck me at setup if they are a little off kilter.  All the grips I've put on in the past were wraps were that didn't matter as much.

Thank you for the tips!

yes, I was a stickler about getting all the old tape off. Bare clean shaft 

On 11/4/2022 at 3:21 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Vice or golf clamp makes it easier but ive regripped a single club or putter standing up. Very easy 

hook utility knife is nice but regular one works good enough. The worst is the old grips just caked on the shaft, and having to scrape that entire grip off. 12 or 13 times 

If you use the vice make sure you get the hard rubber insert to hold the club. Otherwise you just dented the shaft

1 minute ago, AUinHsv said:

If you use the vice make sure you get the hard rubber insert to hold the club. Otherwise you just dented the shaft. That scraper works well. For some reason every Callaway club I have regripped in the last 20 years has industrial strength factory grip tape. No clue why Callaway uses such strong stuff

I got all 14 re-gripped on Saturday while watching football in the garage.  Everything went smoothly, but getting all of the old tape off was a PITA and took longer than I thought it would.  They look and feel great though.  I think I'm really going to like the thicker grips.

I'm playing in a 2 day Stableford deal at Whispering Pines starting tomorrow.  Maybe these new grips will keep me from losing quite as many balls this time around.  I doubt it.

Edited by The Royal We
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 11/1/2022 at 9:16 AM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

After all these years of being a mediocre at best golfer (15 handicap right now) I finally got fitted for clubs with the hopes of getting that handicap down to single digits.   Hopefully the way I hit in the fitting translates to the course but the woods and irons I ended up getting were a huge improvement over my current sticks based on the computer stats.  Looking forward to practicing with the new ones and getting better at this game.

CSB-was also cool that Sheffler was working out there while I was doing my irons fitting.  The guy fitting me was working on Scotty's new irons that morning as he said he was switching from blades to some other Taylor Made iron I guess.  

have you played with the new irons?  i am curious about getting some new sticks.  I literally have the same Ping Eye 2 BeCu set (2-SW) that i did when i was like 10yo in the mid 80s that have been re-shafted a few times.  I am pushing 50 now lol, but have never seen the need to get any new clubs.  Will probably just get some new fairway woods and call it a day, but was talking with a buddy as we played the other day and he was going in for a fitting after seeing another buddy improve after doing the same. 

Has golf tech *really* improved that much?  am i missing out?

Love the old eye2's but after 30 years there have been a few changes. Most of the big gains are in woods but irons have enough for you to look at. First you get a lot of shaft choices. You mentioned reshafting the Pings but the original clubs had 2 or 3 at best. Second - everyone is now going to stronger lofts and shaft length. Your old 7 iron is now 8 or 9 iron.  Third - eye2's were famous for heel/toe weighting but newer clubs have really tweaked it.

Are you missing out?

Fuck yes and it’s not even close.

Last fall I got fitted and ended up with a full new set of Sim 2’s.

Driver, 3w, rescue, UDI (love it), 5-sw. 

Plus 50 and 60 deg Callaway Mack Daddy wedges to fill in gaps above and below my sw. 

Also a new Spider X putter, that’s real close to burnt orange.

What I upgraded from, that was bought new in early ‘97:

Callaway Great Big Bertha originally, updated to a Cobra Fly Z several years ago. Then a Taylor Made Ti Bubble 2 3w.

Wilson Staff RM (forged) with “fat shafts” 2-sw

Callaway Bobby Jones BJ-1 putter.

I kept and still use the putter, and also saved out the 2 iron. If I can’t hit the broad side of Houston even with my putter, I can still rail that damn 2 iron. 

Both sets were custom fit, each club. Between sea duty trashing my game a good bit and a busted back, I wasn’t playing near as much from 2005 to 2015. Then found out I could actually still hit and not hurt myself for the next several days. Got back into it, so by the time I got the set last fall I had been back to playing fairly regularly and hitting alright.

Sorry for the word wall, but to answer your question I thought the context mattered.

FWIW, I just like to play. Not a tournament hound  or any wild dreams of thinking I’m taking it somewhere.

What I’ve noticed in the last 13 months has been a significant difference in a lot of areas.

First, distance with irons. I’m a full club longer. For example, when I used to pull out my 7 iron, I now pull out my 8 iron. That takes some getting used to. 

Off the tee, I gained maybe 10 yards or so over the cobra. However I’ve gained in the distance left to the hole area as I hit it better and more controlled. So the overall distance gained on paper isn’t a ton (it would be over the great big I had before that) I’m closer to the hole as I can control the shot better.

Less effort. My old set I sometimes felt like I had to kill it to get anything out of them. If that makes sense. So my swing was a bit aggressive, rarely laid off. Contact was good, but those clubs seem like they just need that extra kick to get ringing right, or they fall way short.

I’m finding with the new set that I’m actually backing off where I had been previously. I’d say close to 20% less. Yet I’m gaining a full club in distance.

What got me thinking on that was when I was getting fitted, he had me slow it down a tick. I didn’t think much about it at the time. For some reason it came back to me during a round a few months later.

Overall it’s been a big improvement. I hit the new ones better, with less effort, and it’s made rounds even more enjoyable. I’m not hitting scratch, but I’ve knocked it back down to the low 80’s. With the new stick I’ve had 5 rounds of 78-81, with a best of 77 (+5) in August.

That is mostly typical public courses, mid tees.

Best I can offer is if you could buy a new set, go get fitted. If you don’t buy one, you’re out a tick for the time. Or you get it back with a discount on a new set.

Before your fitting, I recommend hitting a small bucket (30-40 maybe) so you’re not stone cold and spending too much time trying to get warmed up. If possible. If not, maybe practice swings in the yard before. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

have you played with the new irons?  i am curious about getting some new sticks.  I literally have the same Ping Eye 2 BeCu set (2-SW) that i did when i was like 10yo in the mid 80s that have been re-shafted a few times.  I am pushing 50 now lol, but have never seen the need to get any new clubs.  Will probably just get some new fairway woods and call it a day, but was talking with a buddy as we played the other day and he was going in for a fitting after seeing another buddy improve after doing the same. 

Has golf tech *really* improved that much?  am i missing out?

Yea, you're missing out.  I was sort of in the same boat as you ~10 years ago and was still playing with the 845s that I used for High School tournaments.  I got a set of Titleist AP2s and it made a world of difference.  More distance, more spin, more feel, etc.  I'm pretty close to wanting to move to something more forgiving, but these still feel so damn good when you flush one.

If you've been playing with those since ~1990, then yea, shit has changed in 32 years.  A bunch.  You should find a way to go bang around some of the latest tech and see for yourself.