2022 Annual of Three Putting

ocugolf

On 5/14/2022 at 10:16 AM, tx 3 putt said:

I’ll post pictures later this week, but I need to get rid of golf gear …..

ping wedges, 52 / 56 / 60. All ping tour, all in great shape or new. These wedges bite, pre ban grooves. These are very good wedges. Zero issues if you want a full set of wedges. 

Cleaveland -  60 wedge, rms finish

Cleveland 5 wood - brand new. This is a very good club 

TM rocket balls 19 hybrid (looks brand new)

3 wood, name escapes me. The brand with a slot, titliest bought them. This one has a very very good shaft but it’s a little ‘soft’ 

TM burner 2.0 driver (9.5) with a great shaft. This is a very good driver (might keep). If you have the swing speed, this club goes boom.

buy me lunch or throw me $20. Pick up in Houston or you pay for shipping. 

one set of wedges gone, two more to go 

i regripped the TM burner 2.0 driver and I’m tagging it. The guy at the shop asked, how’d you get this shaft, me - I know a guy. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on a different backswing that is keeping me much more centered, and the ballstriking has really improved!  Also working on a different chip/pitch.  Have gone 97-92-82 the last 3 rounds, with the 82 a neat little net 59 that everyone always loves haha.  Tied my personal best with 9 greens in the 92 round, and hit 5 of 6 at one point in the 82. 

I'm sure it's short-lived, but damn golf is fun when you can actually hit shots and work on strategically moving around the course instead of top/chunk/skull/shanking it around. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 10:33 PM, tx 3 putt said:

one set of wedges gone, two more to go 

i regripped the TM burner 2.0 driver and I’m tagging it. The guy at the shop asked, how’d you get this shaft, me - I know a guy. 

Pains me to ask… Tell me more about your shaft 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brown water said:

Pains me to ask… Tell me more about your shaft 

fubuki shaft with custom taylor made paint job. guess it's about 10 years old now. it's in the taylor made 'cheaper' head (at that time), nothing is adjustable. at the time, that shaft was a special order, very limited and upcharge, premium heads only. 

i regripped it and hitting it better than ever. that was a great shaft and head. 

taylormade-burner-superfast-20-driver.jp

1 hour ago, SamsCorner said:

image.jpeg.a46deda2f52d6fabf917276a4d70914c.jpeg

Has anyone tried the cross handed chipping Matthew Fitzpatrick was using this last weekend?  I have the chipping yips horrible and am looking for a remedy.

My father has been a horrible chipper for 20 years, and started doing this about 4 years ago from 50 yards out to Texas Wedge distances, and he has gotten pretty good with it. He is never going to hit a flop shot, a low spinner, or anything real creative, but he puts this shot within 20 feet most of the time. So much better than the past when he would chili dip or skull about half of his chips. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SamsCorner said:

image.jpeg.a46deda2f52d6fabf917276a4d70914c.jpeg

Has anyone tried the cross handed chipping Matthew Fitzpatrick was using this last weekend?  I have the chipping yips horrible and am looking for a remedy.

move the ball back a little. Hands in front of the ball. Keep your left arm very stiff, do not break your elbow. Be mindful of your wrists 

maybe it’ll help you some 

24 minutes ago, JSB said:

My father has been a horrible chipper for 20 years, and started doing this about 4 years ago from 50 yards out to Texas Wedge distances, and he has gotten pretty good with it. He is never going to hit a flop shot, a low spinner, or anything real creative, but he puts this shot within 20 feet most of the time. So much better than the past when he would chili dip or skull about half of his chips. 

I've been chipping one handed from about 20 yards in, it gets me on the green with a chance to make a putt but boy do I catch hell from the group.

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

move the ball back a little. Hands in front of the ball. Keep your left arm very stiff, do not break your elbow. Be mindful of your wrists 

maybe it’ll help you some 

Here's the issue, and not rotating my chest through the swing.  Sounds easy to fix but golf is hard.  

Just now, SamsCorner said:

Here's the issue, and not rotating my chest through the swing.  Sounds easy to fix but golf is hard.  

heres what I would do : ultra stuff left arm, do not break wrists and just focus on take away and contact. Keep your head down 

19 hours ago, heso said:

Do any of you guys have one of the ~$500 launch monitors?

im debating getting one of the rapsodo/garmin/flight scope/etc monitors for the range and back yard. 

Also interested in this. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the $500 flight scope what works with ipad/phone.  It works OK.  I suck at golf but have put some effort into improving.  It will tell you club head speed, ball speed, height, spin and carry distance.  Biggest problem is the frequency of shots not detected.  I have messed with the position of the device, lighting, balls that have reflective sticker, etc... and it works about 75% of the time.  OK but nothing to brag about.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I shot an 80 with two dbls to win the 70-74 age flight at our annual Seniors Open in Marion. Our tallgrass rough is waist high and I stayed out of it all day. Had a lot of birdie putts and made none but lots of easy pars. All in all a good day. 8 guys in my flight so it wasn’t a gimme. 

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I shot an 80 with two dbls to win the 70-74 age flight at our annual Seniors Open in Marion. Our tallgrass rough is waist high and I stayed out of it all day. Had a lot of birdie putts and made none but lots of easy pars. All in all a good day. 8 guys in my flight so it wasn’t a gimme. 

Nicely done.

• Like 1

I will be in the Orlando area for 8 days in late Oct. early Nov. I plan to play at least 3 rounds of golf while there. What public courses should I set my sights on?

I will be a single no one else in my group plays golf. Will that be a problem?

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Where are you staying ? 

they probably have agreements with some local courses 

I’m staying at Fairfield inn in the Marriott village. Near 1-4. Nothing fancy.

I’m probably going to play one of the Disney courses, most likely Magnolia, I’m looking at Grand Cypress New Course. Nothing set either place. 

Booked a quick weekend getaway for the family to the JW in San Antonio in two weeks.  Figured I'd try to snag a tee time as a single as early as possible that Saturday.  Oaks was booked until 10:30.  Canyons had a spot at 7:18.  Perfect.  Then, the pro shop informed me that all the bunkers are under repair... and one hole is closed... and the green fee was going to be $275.  I politely declined.  As a capitalist, I love this.  Supply and demand at its finest.  But, damn.  That's robbery for that course.  

16 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Booked a quick weekend getaway for the family to the JW in San Antonio in two weeks.  Figured I'd try to snag a tee time as a single as early as possible that Saturday.  Oaks was booked until 10:30.  Canyons had a spot at 7:18.  Perfect.  Then, the pro shop informed me that all the bunkers are under repair... and one hole is closed... and the green fee was going to be $275.  I politely declined.  As a capitalist, I love this.  Supply and demand at its finest.  But, damn.  That's robbery for that course.  

Played there at corporate event about ten years ago. It's not worth 275 - when course is in perfect shape. Maybe half that.

42 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Oaks is nice but I would never pay for Canyons. 

Round 3. Castle Stuart. A modern and more park land style golf.  Ken Griffey Jr was playing the same day. Arrived by helicopter while we were on 11 or 12.  Another day of 3 to 4 club winds but at least the greens were more receptive and collection areas less punishing than Dornoch. 

3E4DE0BB-D90D-4928-9681-0FB22FC35F20.jpeg

131E2555-27B4-4739-A7A6-6231744A13EA.jpeg

E20359F9-8667-431D-B56C-96879903069B.jpeg

1D565AC8-82BD-49BE-87F6-16D34A98E0CA.jpeg

6E36C253-6620-4A07-87A2-A8DB5F77FE04.jpeg

C52D3319-7CEE-4DB6-A906-BDBAB56550AD.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

Heading to San Diego on Wednesday, playing Torrey Pines South while I'm out there. Trying to decide if I should try and take my clubs or just rent them. I was going to take them, but then my wife started packing, and I'm not sure all her shit and all the kids shit will fit in the trunk of our rental car along with my clubs. I hear they rent Titleist sets, so they won't be shitty clubs, but they won't be mine. Will I kick myself for not taking my own sticks? I don't want to ship them. 

Played Butler National on Sunday. By far the best golfing experience of my life. Walking only, men's only, caddies used by everyone even members. Amazing course. Perfect walk. I could quit golf now (but obviously won't).

Shot 39/41 80, dropped the handicap a full stroke to get it under 10. Highest slope/rating course I've played.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got back from a couples trip to the Hamptons. Despite heroic efforts was not able to get on Shinnecock or NGLA but I did get to play next door at Southampton Golf Club. Seth Raynor design that was recently restored. 

What a treat!  A couple of shots:F6874F8F-6627-484A-B3D6-ED1292C89201.thumb.jpeg.d26f55fbbf39f95a4cf27a95d804e361.jpeg

View from the tee box on the Biarritz. Forgot to take a pic of the green but you can see a guy in the group ahead of us in the swale. I flared a hybrid into the right bunker and then proceeded to fly my bunker shot across the green into the left bunker. 

BAAD36ED-6745-4C4D-BBA8-2FC79EEC3E67.thumb.jpeg.2fc428d4fb7736a09e5ca6c5c4b18c52.jpeg

View from the fairway of Raynor’s famous dogleg. (Number 7). Behind the left side of the green through the bushes is 11 fairway of Shinnecock. No fence. You can walk right through. (We did). When they have the US Open the USGA lets members use the opening as a private member entrance to the event. 

D3034697-991C-4F65-92EC-9712CC38DBE8.thumb.jpeg.3520591a132f7b182088c634490f43c7.jpeg0525CDB4-0734-4751-8A3C-F8D551C8C18A.thumb.jpeg.25f6fe358f9b520210bb64ed50c090fe.jpeg

The approach (blind shot if you’re behind the bunker) and view from behind the green on punch bowl. Really fun hole. I pulled my wedge left and it rolled up the rim and back to the hole. Nearly went in.  Missed the birdie putt. @longhorn10 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After about a year of getting tired of hearing “I am so close”, something finally clicked the day before yesterday about taking the club away a little slower and getting my hips out of the way.  Went from shooting 90-95 consistently to an 83 on my course with a triple and a double (cockiness took over and I got a little aggressive on a couple shots). My course is stupidly hard so really pumped with the 83.  Might be more hooked than I already was and moving more toward the love of this love/hate relationship.    

• Hook 'Em 1

Playing Lakota Links and Iron Bridge outside Aspen this week.

Love mountain golf.   Usually play better than usual.  

Also Lakeside CC starts their remodel today.  Closed for 3 days to spray the grass killer then they will allow play for maybe a month while everything dies.  Shooting for 11-12 months.  We'll see.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:39 PM, tx 3 putt said:

heres what I would do : ultra stuff left arm, do not break wrists and just focus on take away and contact. Keep your head down 

Worked hard on the practice green and since switching my chipping grip to cross-handed my index has dropped from 5.7 to 3.8.  I'm confident with any shot around the green which has led to taking more "risky" approach shots.  I can go hunt pins on the short side and not just the middle of the green.  When I don't have all that pressure on one area of my game it has giving me confidence throughout.

3 hours ago, SamsCorner said:

Worked hard on the practice green and since switching my chipping grip to cross-handed my index has dropped from 5.7 to 3.8.  I'm confident with any shot around the green which has led to taking more "risky" approach shots.  I can go hunt pins on the short side and not just the middle of the green.  When I don't have all that pressure on one area of my game it has giving me confidence throughout.

This is so true.  I'm about 10 strokes behind you.  But, in the last 3-4 rounds, something has finally started to click.  My handicap is steadily decreasing.  My two biggest issues were finding fairways and chipping around the green.  I had a full on case of the chipping yips.  I played Sunday and hit 8 of 14 fairways.  Only had two bad misses on chips.  Got up and down 4 times.  Finding fairways equals more shots at greens.  More shots at greens equals smarter approaches and missing in the right spot.  Missing in the right spot equals easier up and downs.  It was boring golf Sunday, and I loved it.  No birdies, but only two doubles.  The rest were all pars and bogies.  Genuinely feel like I'm close to turning the corner to playing respectable golf.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess this is the thread to ask this. We’re looking to get in a few rounds when we go up to DFW for the Texas ou game. I used to play Tenison Park when I lived there and am feeling nostalgic. Is the course ok? I think I read there are two 18 hole courses. Which one is better?

15 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I guess this is the thread to ask this. We’re looking to get in a few rounds when we go up to DFW for the Texas ou game. I used to play Tenison Park when I lived there and am feeling nostalgic. Is the course ok? I think I read there are two 18 hole courses. Which one is better?

The Highlands is MUCH better than The Glen. This is no secret so demand for The Highlands is higher. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone dealt with golfers elbow? I’ve been working on the swing at the range a lot, and playing a decent amount, and I’ve had worsening golfers elbow for the past 6 weeks or so. Well today I noticed I’ve developed bursitis - the tip of my right elbow is swollen to shit and tender to the touch - and it sucks. Keeping me up right now in fact.

Any practical advice other than not playing and icing, and perhaps isometric exercises to strengthen my arm around the inflammation, would be appreciated. I don’t want to put the clubs away (fun tourney in a month) but I’m thinking I need to shut it down for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Work on my putting. 

4 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Anyone dealt with golfers elbow? I’ve been working on the swing at the range a lot, and playing a decent amount, and I’ve had worsening golfers elbow for the past 6 weeks or so. Well today I noticed I’ve developed bursitis - the tip of my right elbow is swollen to shit and tender to the touch - and it sucks. Keeping me up right now in fact.

Any practical advice other than not playing and icing, and perhaps isometric exercises to strengthen my arm around the inflammation, would be appreciated. I don’t want to put the clubs away (fun tourney in a month) but I’m thinking I need to shut it down for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Work on my putting. 

I've dealt with golfers elbow for about 5 years now and have tried all you've tried.  I basically stretch all day, biofreeze or CBD cream about 30 minutes before I tee off. I also wear the elbow brace when I play.  Good luck with it, I know it sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Are you hitting off mats or grass primarily? I've seen issues where this really flares up with mats more so than grass.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

I had tennis elbow which is micro tears on a different tendon on the other side of the elbow.  I found that heat was way better than ice.  And do the other things you mentioned.  You may need formal PT.  Rest is key.  I didn’t rest mine as I should have and I could not play tennis for about 20 months.  I could play golf.  Doctor said it wouldn’t hurt it further but it was like picking a scab.  I also wore the bandit brace all day except for when I slept.  

• Hook 'Em 1