Texas at Kansas St on ESPN+

SDG

Galindo is one of the few I wouldnt take over Walton. In between Walton's tangential observations and weird ass analogies, he will occasionally drop some insight that comes from having played the sport and relevant to the game at hand. Galindo is an annoying fuckstick 100% of the time and never has anything relevant to add. I'd rather listen to the "boom goes the dynamite" guy than Galindo. If I was that bad at my job, I would fire myself. 

I swear the other announcer tonight said “you have to gang rape Texas” at the 6:15 mark in the first. Guy was terrible all game long.

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

Galindo is one of the few I wouldnt take over Walton. In between Walton's tangential observations and weird ass analogies, he will occasionally drop some insight that comes from having played the sport and relevant to the game at hand. Galindo is an annoying fuckstick 100% of the time and never has anything relevant to add. I'd rather listen to the "boom goes the dynamite" guy than Galindo. If I was that bad at my job, I would fire myself. 

I mean I want to agree because you aren’t wrong, but Walton can go 10 minutes talking and you’d have no idea he was at a game. He drives me insane. Was it last year or the year before he was calling our game in Hawaii and I for the first time ever I just muted the broadcast. Shit between Shaka and Covid it might have been 5 years ago. And then ESPN brought him back. Somebody out there likes him and I guess it’s the casual fan.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not only does Walton not irritate me less, but a bad pbp guy is infinitely worse than a bad color guy - and also Lowell Galindo last time I checked wasn't a first ballot basketball hall of famer. 

Yeah well this is just degrees of suck we are talking about now.

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah well this is just degrees of suck we are talking about now.

I think Derka laid it out well in the who do you want Texas pbp thread.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:35 PM, shadow_operative said:

scene: it's late in the second half of a tightly contested game Duke and UNC. the action is up and down, and the officials are swallowing their whistles, allowing the game to flow freely. points are being scored left and right. fade in to the ESPN broadcast.

Galindo: "Bill, with this being Hubert Davis's first year in charge after years of UNC being coached by legendary coach Roy Williams, a former Big XII and Kansas legend as my old partner Lance Blanks will attest to, what does Davis, as the guy who is replacing the legend, what does Davis need to do here in year one to keep that UNC tradition of blue blood basketball going, while also trying to create his own unique path as a head coach, and trying to get out from under the shadow of former head coach and legend Roy Williams?"

(seven points have been scored since Lowell started talking. Walton grabs something from under the table)

Walton: "this is called a glockenspiel. it's a german instrument much like a xylophone. my family and i used to hike the Ewoldsen Trail at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park in Big Sur. we would strip off all of our clothes and roll around in the dirt, reuniting with our Mother Earth and her bountiful energy, as we would sit around the camp fore with our glockenspiels, howling at the moon, reuniting with our primal, eternal souls, as the spirit of the late, great Jerry Garcia would guide us on an ethereal meditation seance under the California moon."

Jackson: "MOMMA THERE GOES THAT MAN!!"

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Me too once it got rolling, but damn if Derka didn't absolutely nail the Galindo V Walton exchange.

I especially liked the Galindo.  perfect run-on commentary/question where he provides the answer to the question as he asks it.  Galindo is the fucking king of that.  to be honest, its the same shit all these dumbass media types do these days.  just ask the damn question and let the dude you want the answer from answer it.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I especially liked the Galindo.  perfect run-on commentary/question where he provides the answer to the question as he asks it.  Galindo is the fucking king of that.  to be honest, its the same shit all these dumbass media types do these days.  just ask the damn question and let the dude you want the answer from answer it.

Contender for the crown:  Bucky Godbolt

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just watched my recording. Pretty enjoyable win because that's a game we absolutely no doubt lose the past few years and spend the next week pissed as fans. Made adjustments, handled a roster we should handle in the second half. 

The absolutely only good thing about years of crap teams is they make it easy to enjoy the wins that seem like maybe they shouldn't be that enjoyable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I don’t get it either with Askew. Either he has zero confidence or Beard is telling him his job is to facilitate and not worry about scoring 

Askew is not a scorer but I think he has a lot of value to this team. 1) He doesn't turn the ball over. Leads the team in turnover %. 2) He's a pretty good facilitator. 3rd on the team in assist%. 

Askew is  the only pure PG on the team although his offensive game looks a bit ugly because he's never trying to score. 

I think Beard might have figured out the solution to Carr's struggles is to play him more off the ball with Askew which is what happened tonight. With guys like Carr, Jones, Ramey, Allen, Disu, Mitchell etc on the court you don't need Askew getting buckets. There are plenty of mouths to feed already and Askew's low usage rate is actually advantageous with those group of players. 

28 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Askew is not a scorer but I think he has a lot of value to this team. 1) He doesn't turn the ball over. Leads the team in turnover %. 2) He's a pretty good facilitator. 3rd on the team in assist%. 

Askew is  the only pure PG on the team although his offensive game looks a bit ugly because he's never trying to score. 

I think Beard might have figured out the solution to Carr's struggles is to play him more off the ball with Askew which is what happened tonight. With guys like Carr, Jones, Ramey, Allen, Disu, Mitchell etc on the court you don't need Askew getting buckets. There are plenty of mouths to feed already and Askew's low usage rate is actually advantageous with those group of players. 

To be fair, when he does try to score it looks ugly too.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, Askew's offensive game is definitely limited. I won't argue that. 

I can see why Beard wanted him though. For a young player he does things that can help you win. 

Yeah I was just making a joke. I was wanting to see more of Askew from early on this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

He meant young like Bill Walton would mean young. They are young in their gathering of spiritual experiences as a collective. 

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

I mean I want to agree because you aren’t wrong, but Walton can go 10 minutes talking and you’d have no idea he was at a game. He drives me insane. Was it last year or the year before he was calling our game in Hawaii and I for the first time ever I just muted the broadcast. Shit between Shaka and Covid it might have been 5 years ago. And then ESPN brought him back. Somebody out there likes him and I guess it’s the casual fan.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:35 PM, shadow_operative said:

scene: it's late in the second half of a tightly contested game Duke and UNC. the action is up and down, and the officials are swallowing their whistles, allowing the game to flow freely. points are being scored left and right. fade in to the ESPN broadcast.

Galindo: "Bill, with this being Hubert Davis's first year in charge after years of UNC being coached by legendary coach Roy Williams, a former Big XII and Kansas legend as my old partner Lance Blanks will attest to, what does Davis, as the guy who is replacing the legend, what does Davis need to do here in year one to keep that UNC tradition of blue blood basketball going, while also trying to create his own unique path as a head coach, and trying to get out from under the shadow of former head coach and legend Roy Williams?"

(seven points have been scored since Lowell started talking. Walton grabs something from under the table)

Walton: "this is called a glockenspiel. it's a german instrument much like a xylophone. my family and i used to hike the Ewoldsen Trail at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park in Big Sur. we would strip off all of our clothes and roll around in the dirt, reuniting with our Mother Earth and her bountiful energy, as we would sit around the camp fore with our glockenspiels, howling at the moon, reuniting with our primal, eternal souls, as the spirit of the late, great Jerry Garcia would guide us on an ethereal meditation seance under the California moon."

Jackson: "MOMMA THERE GOES THAT MAN!!"

GiddyDazzlingChrysomelid-size_restricted

I so wish that we weren't joining the fucking SEC and instead could join the PAC-12 and were headed out west where real women come equipped with scripts and fake breasts.

sddefault.jpg

Edited by Napoleon

So I was sure I could make it home in time to watch this, but shit happens of course because I didn’t dvr it. I look on LHN to see if there’s going to be a replay in the next few days. They are going to show the ladies v. tehc like 32 times this week, but not the men. wtf?
Any insight? Guesses?