I want to smoke a pastrami brisket

markstanco

I tried the search feature, my apologies. Couldn’t find anything and the brisket thread is huge.

So what I am reading the flat is choice. Got that part. What I am looking for is your recipes and not some random website like allrecipes or amazingribs or similar.

I would also like to know how you guys “keep” leftovers. Vacuum seal and freeze? Or does it go bad after freezing? No idea. Total ignorance here.

My plan is doing this in February but I want to learn now. I also want to do this for my employees at our summer party and make some killer sandwiches but I think I need to do a few first.

Traditionally, pastrami is not made from brisket.  You'll see it made from brisket these days, but that's not the classic central European cut of beef for this dish.

In what ways are you wanting to be traditional and in what ways not?  It's not difficult to find recipes for the spice rub and smoking process for pastrami.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Second this. Did it a couple months ago and it's on point. No issues with vacuum sealing and freezing. Heat it wrapped in foil in the oven. 

*that site is a go-to for trying a new food projects. I tried his cold smoked salmon recipe and it's ridic. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

If you want to go the easy route, you can buy a prepackaged, uncooked, corned beef brisket.  Rinse it off and soak it in a container of cold water in the fridge overnight to desalinate.  Then rub it with salt and pepper (go easy on the salt) and smoke it like a brisket.  I'm sure there are better methods, but this is relatively cheap, easy, and delicious.

Edited by dcbc

17 hours ago, dcbc said:

If you want to go the easy route, you can buy a prepackaged, uncooked, corned beef brisket.  Rinse it off and soak it in a container of cold water in the fridge overnight to desalinate.  Then rub it with salt and pepper (go easy on the salt) and smoke it like a brisket.  I'm sure there are better methods, but this is relatively cheap, easy, and delicious.

I may give this a try.  It never fails that I think of pastrami in the middle of the week with not enough time to pull the brining together for a weekend smoke.

• Like 1

Just did one last week

forgot pics

I’m worthless.

The pastrami, however, was not.
did a dry rub brine from the virtual Weber bullet site. Turned out well.

but yeah, it can turn in to a 10 day process if you’re not careful

question for those that have done it.

do you smoke all the way to ~200?

or smoke to the stall and call it good?

or smoke to the stall and steam to ~200 in the oven?

If the latter, do you let it rest for a while in between and/or refrigerate for a day or so? Or go straight from smoker to steam?

6 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Just did one last week

forgot pics

I’m worthless.

The pastrami, however, was not.
did a dry rub brine from the virtual Weber bullet site. Turned out well.

but yeah, it can turn in to a 10 day process if you’re not careful

question for those that have done it.

do you smoke all the way to ~200?

or smoke to the stall and call it good?

or smoke to the stall and steam to ~200 in the oven?

If the latter, do you let it rest for a while in between and/or refrigerate for a day or so? Or go straight from smoker to steam?

When I've done it, I just smoke it like a brisket until tender.  After a rest, I do another very short rest on rye.

Edited by dcbc

• 1 year later...

2nd attempt at a pastrami brisket last weekend. Used a prime brisket from Costco and cured it for 14 days...only did 7 last time and that wasn't long enough. Made the Katz dry rub, smoked to 175 then steamed in the oven to 203. Previous time I didn't steam it, definitely like the texture more after steaming but it obviously softens the bark. Overall thought it was really damned good.

a1f79e4fb70a95d60adc7504c8941650.jpgecfa3ad2d85f6c4fb4fe8e91200ddb42.jpg759919fde8ea6d269f53118307dd5b8a.jpg45426cff4271f9a6cbcbe9c06c7fa1bf.jpg05b3f81c3172e38e85353de8eb49438a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, stc said:

2nd attempt at a pastrami brisket last weekend. Used a prime brisket from Costco and cured it for 14 days...only did 7 last time and that wasn't long enough. Made the Katz dry rub, smoked to 175 then steamed in the oven to 203. Previous time I didn't steam it, definitely like the texture more after steaming but it obviously softens the bark. Overall thought it was really damned good.

45426cff4271f9a6cbcbe9c06c7fa1bf.jpg05b3f81c3172e38e85353de8eb49438a.jpg

randy marsh masturbating GIF by South Park

a1f79e4fb70a95d60adc7504c8941650.jpgecfa3ad2d85f6c4fb4fe8e91200ddb42.jpg759919fde8ea6d269f53118307dd5b8a.jpg45426cff4271f9a6cbcbe9c06c7fa1bf.jpg05b3f81c3172e38e85353de8eb49438a.jpg

Bravo! I love pastrami and this looks fantastic. It’s hard to find deli pastrami with enough smoke and bbq joint pastrami with the right spice and texture. Yours looks great!

On 3/13/2023 at 11:13 AM, stc said:

That looks really good.  I know steaming is traditional, but I've really enjoyed the bark on my pastrami when I've just cooked it straight through.  Do you think a shorter steam would preserve the bark.  Or maybe steam to 195F with a quick trip back to the smoker to firm it up, kind of like wrapping ribs?

17 minutes ago, dcbc said:

That looks really good.  I know steaming is traditional, but I've really enjoyed the bark on my pastrami when I've just cooked it straight through.  Do you think a shorter steam would preserve the bark.  Or maybe steam to 195F with a quick trip back to the smoker to firm it up, kind of like wrapping ribs?

I think any amount steam is going to soften up the bark. Definitely worth experimenting with firming it back up after the steam. I could see blasting it under the broiler for a couple minutes working, or maybe a trip back to the smoker. 

• Hook 'Em 1