Texas Women's Tennis 2022

Js1

• 2 weeks later...

With UNC and OU failing to win their conference tournaments, there's a pretty good chance that aggy will be the #1 overall seed in the NCAA tournament. Duke, UNC, Texas, OU, and aggy are all #1 seed worthy, but at least one will fall to a 2 seed. Stanford looked like a bad loss for Texas a couple months ago, but Stanford ended up winning the Pac-12 tournament so our "worst loss" doesn't look that bad. NCST lost to both Duke and UNC which is why I think NCST won't get a #1 seed. Guess we'll find out on May 2nd!

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

With UNC and OU failing to win their conference tournaments, there's a pretty good chance that aggy will be the #1 overall seed in the NCAA tournament. Duke, UNC, Texas, OU, and aggy are all #1 seed worthy, but at least one will fall to a 2 seed. Stanford looked like a bad loss for Texas a couple months ago, but Stanford ended up winning the Pac-12 tournament so our "worst loss" doesn't look that bad. NCST lost to both Duke and UNC which is why I think NCST won't get a #1 seed. Guess we'll find out on May 2nd!

Historically the NCAA seeds are based on the computer rankings. If that's the case, UNC is still number one. Texas will be around 4-5. Aggies would be number 7 as they don't have a single top 10 win. If the computer rankings hold, OU will have the roughest draw as the two seed as they'd face Stanford (#15) in the Sweet 16 and then A&M in the Elite Eight.

This is my exact quote from last year

"I'd rate Texas as having a 20-30% chance of beating UNC. Things that have to happen are Peyton needs to get hot during NCAAs and Joffe has to decide between Labrana and Rapolu at 6. "

And those things did happen- Peyton went on a tear the last three team matches at NCAA's and Joffe was able to manage the line 6 spot (4-1 record splitting Labrana and Rapolu).

I actually think there's no clear cut favorite this year compared to last year's UNC. Last year I'd say there were 3 or 4 times capable of winning. This year I would say there are 7-8 teams in the hunt. Key thing for Texas this year is Charlotte needs to find her freshmen year groove.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Historically the NCAA seeds are based on the computer rankings. If that's the case, UNC is still number one. Texas will be around 4-5. Aggies would be number 7 as they don't have a single top 10 win. If the computer rankings hold, OU will have the roughest draw as the two seed as they'd face Stanford (#15) in the Sweet 16 and then A&M in the Elite Eight.

This is my exact quote from last year

"I'd rate Texas as having a 20-30% chance of beating UNC. Things that have to happen are Peyton needs to get hot during NCAAs and Joffe has to decide between Labrana and Rapolu at 6. "

And those things did happen- Peyton went on a tear the last three team matches at NCAA's and Joffe was able to manage the line 6 spot (4-1 record splitting Labrana and Rapolu).

I actually think there's no clear cut favorite this year compared to last year's UNC. Last year I'd say there were 3 or 4 times capable of winning. This year I would say there are 7-8 teams in the hunt. Key thing for Texas this year is Charlotte needs to find her freshmen year groove.

It's pretty wild that aggy went 16-0 against SEC teams, but didn't notch a single computer rated top 10 win. If the committee is ever to ignore the computer rankings in favor of the ITA rankings to grant them a 1 seed, it will be for aggy.

Charlotte played well in the big 12 tournament, but perhaps at the expense of Zeynalova? We need Zeynalova to forget her  match against OU and for Charlotte to build off her current momentum. 

I'm still not sold on either of the Zamarripa twins playing singles, and I think I would take my chances with Rapolu in singles at line 5/6 over either of them. Joffee sees things differently, obviously, based on the fact Rapolu has hardly seen any action this season.

Fingers crossed for a favorable draw next Monday

FCB

— No. 4-ranked Texas women’s tennis won its second straight Big 12 Tournament title with a 4-2 victory over No. 2 Oklahoma - avenging two earlier season losses to the Sooners.

The Longhorns’ Big 12 tourney title was highlighted by a 6-0, 6-0 victory by UT’s No. 1 singles player - sophomore Peyton Stearns, who is ranked No. 15 nationally, over Oklahoma’s Layne Sleeth, the nation’s No. 10-ranked singles player.

Stearns’ win even warranted a Tweet of congratulations from UT president (and avid tennis player) Jay Hartzell:

Before the Longhorns’ Big 12 tourney final victory, Oklahoma (27-2) had beaten Texas (20-4) twice - 4-1 at the ITA National Indoor Championships on Feb. 12 in Madison, Wisc., and 4-3 in Norman on March 27. That loss in Norman cost Texas the Big 12 regular-season title, which went to the Sooners, who finished 9-0 in league play while UT finished 8-1.

But Texas got the win on Sunday and now enters the NCAA Championship, which begins play on May 6, on a roll.

The Longhorns, who had to replace three key contributors from last year’s national championship team, have won six straight and 13 of their last 14 matches dating back to a 4-3 victory at then-No. 6 California on Feb. 27. Eleven of those 13 victories have come against opponents who were nationally ranked, including seven top-25 foes.

Our quarter of the draw has several conference tournament champs including the ACC champ (UVA), Big 10 champ (Michigan), and Big 12 champ (Texas!) 

Although Michigan is a concerning 2nd round match for us, we historically have a good record against indoor teams like them. Forecast in Austin this weekend is 99 degrees, so hopefully the Michigan ladies experience some fatigue late in the singles matches and we can finish them off. If we get past Michigan, we'll probably face off against Auburn....a solid SEC team but a match we should win. In the Elite 8 we would most likely face UVA, which is one of the only teams that match us at line 1. #1 Emma Navarro v. #2 Peyton Stearns will be a popcorn singles match as each player has lost just 1 match all season. If we beat UVA, then its on to the Final 4 where anything can happen.

Aleemay called A&M's #7 seeding, but its still wild that a 30-1 team out of the SEC is that low. Sucks for them! OU will have a tough S16 match against Stanford who beat us earlier this year, and if they win that match, they will probably face aggy in the E8. Personally I like Texas' draw as the #4 seed more than OU's draw as the #2 seed.

• Hook 'Em 2

Echo pretty much what was said above; for the minority non revenue generating sports, the draw is not going to be balanced with Texas potential second round being tougher than it has to be. That said I think Texas' bottom of the lineup is stronger and will be more favored than against Michigan. Auburn, Virginia and Oklahoma State are the other seeds on this side and I agree that OU's path is much tougher when that is factored in. 

As a side note, I'm pretty sure all matches at NCAA's have to be outdoors (weather permitting). I know the Big 10 tournament was played indoors last week.

A&M getting the seventh seed was expected. In my opinion, the ITA formula rewards one good win over two tough losses. The best out of conference win for A&M was USC. Only loss was against Cal. And that was it- did not play any of the ACC or Big 12 contenders. Which is how Texas, OU, UNC, NC State, Virginia, and Duke are higher ranked-> they keep playing themselves and beating each other.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Both Texas and Michigan swept their first round opponents today as expected. Could be a tough 2nd round for Texas against Michigan tomorrow if we don’t bring our A game 

Sweep lol

On 5/14/2022 at 3:08 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

UVA didn't have much trouble dispatching Okie Lite. I'm really looking forward to the Stearns v. Navarro battle at line 1, but ultimately the quarter final match will be decided by the middle of our lineup.

Yes Stearns and Navarro should be exciting. Collins at 2 will also be in a tight battle. 3-6 people can argue that Texas are slight favorites. Interesting to see line 6 Ziodato vs. Ovrootsky- Ziodato was at Baylor last year and didn't make a lineup, transfers to a stronger team, and has had a fantastic season.

Of note, OU is without their line 3 player Chanta, which is a huge blow. Chanta is with the Thai national team at the Southeast Asian Games in Vietnam. Just won team gold but has the individual competitions this week, likely won't make it back in time. Huge blow to OU and I think the OU vs. A&M match has A&M as a slight favorite.

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Apparently there’s a big gap between the #1 and #2 college player in the country. Rare to see Peyton get taken to the bakery

Our top 2 singles players got punked.