NASCAR shuts down "Let's Go Brandon!" sponsorship for Brandon Brown

C-Man

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

That's what you got out of her post? Wow.

I don’t believe I quoted her. However, there are multiple post in this thread that suggest the national anthem or red white and blue is some kind of political statement.

your concern or wow comment is just as telling.

for the record, I absolutely do not believe there is a party of patriotism, and feel it is very aggy-esque The way the Maga idiots have hijacked what is/ should be a common thread among us    

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, slorch said:

I don’t believe I quoted her. However, there are multiple post in this thread that suggest the national anthem or red white and blue is some kind of political statement.

your concern or wow comment is just us telling.

for the record, I absolutely do not believe there is a party of patriotism, and feel it is very aggy-esque The way the Maga idiots have hijacked what is/ should be a common thread among us    

Sorry, I just assumed that you were responding to Mrs. Whiggins since hers was the only post between the post that I quoted and your previous post. Carry on.

Meh. NASCAR isn’t making a political statement, they’re just trying to stand above obscenity. They also wouldn’t want a “Fuck Trump” or “Hang Obama” logo on a car. And make no mistake about it, that’s exactly what LGB is.

of course, given NASCAR fans’ politics, this will only encourage the fan to chant LGB that much more now.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Meh. NASCAR isn’t making a political statement, they’re just trying to stand above obscenity. They also wouldn’t want a “Fuck Trump” or “Hang Obama” logo on a car. And make no mistake about it, that’s exactly what LGB is.

of course, given NASCAR fans’ politics, this will only encourage the fan to chant LGB that much more now.

That and they don't want to offend potential new customers/fans.

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That and they don't want to offend potential new customers/fans.

And if NASCAR allows LGB, it puts pressure on other sponsors. Pepsi or whatever brand will hear from their customers that they’re unhappy that Pepsi is sharing a stage with LGB. Then Pepsi tells their driver and nascar to put an end to it. Major sponsors will have already told nascar that they don’t want controversy since their customer base is 50/50 right and left.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

And if NASCAR allows LGB, it puts pressure on other sponsors. Pepsi or whatever brand will hear from their customers that they’re unhappy that Pepsi is sharing a stage with LGB. Then Pepsi tells their driver and nascar to put an end to it. Major sponsors will have already told nascar that they don’t want controversy since their customer base is 50/50 right and left.

Yeah of course.  Money talks......  

12 hours ago, Born to Run said:

You fuckers are on to something. Fuck restrictor plates, emission controls and unleaded gasoline. I want a cloud of leaded blue smoke, deadly accidents in the pits, moonshine, Moonpies, Skynnard, big old southern titties, chicken fried steak on a stick, gravy cups, 45 oz cups of domestic light beer, and let the kids have a dang pack of smokes for fucks sake.

"We Only Turn Right!"

Wait a second. I'm Republican? I'm not seeing what's wrong here.

12 hours ago, Born to Run said:

You fuckers are on to something. Fuck restrictor plates, emission controls and unleaded gasoline. I want a cloud of leaded blue smoke, deadly accidents in the pits, moonshine, Moonpies, Skynnard, big old southern titties, chicken fried steak on a stick, gravy cups, 45 oz cups of domestic light beer, and let the kids have a dang pack of smokes for fucks sake.

"We Only Turn Right!"

26 minutes ago, slorch said:

your concern or wow comment is just as telling.

I have no issue with the national anthem and flag at sporting events (and agree w/respect to the comment regarding 'party of patriotism') but if someone chooses to express their opinion during the performance (like Tommy Smith at the Olympics), I'm going to listen to what they have to say. That is the whole point of the anthem and the flag as symbols. Some folks may think it inappropriate, but if their boat is in calm waters, of course they wouldn't want it rocked.

I really really dislike the folks who have taken the stars and stripes and changed its color(s) like the blue flag for instance. Show some creativity and make a new flag!

• Hook 'Em 3

Beyond all the political BS, NASCAR has got to be about the most boring shit on TV.  And I've been to several races. The only real excitement is in the pit, and the repair shed during races as they try to bang out, or cut away damaged body panels, and get a driver back on the track.  That will probably get more back lash than any LBGQTkrazywkittykattangofoxtrot message they allow on race day.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I saw this at the Home Depot in mid-town last week. I took a couple of minutes to scrape it off because it just looks ridiculous. I didn’t say anything to anyone, but I wasn’t going to let it stay there. The childishness you have to have in you to even put this sticker anywhere in public that isn’t the Fox News, aka “BS Mountain”, fortress down the street is astounding.

277473A4-714A-4950-B0F7-0D85110B1928.jpeg

Saw one of these on my parents' garage fridge the other day.  Just fucking insane.

9 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I am glad you were able to handle a situation that could have gone completely off the rails. It is just embarrassing how low people are going to go with this. It’s not clever nor funny. I am all for reconciliation taking place, but clearly you have a BIL in need of some serious help through therapy. 

Thanks. Yeah, her parents (mother, at least) drinks the Fox News Kool-Aid but are not the slightest bit confrontational about it. My MIL's sister lives in Tulsa and she's been to a couple Trump rallies, including the infamous one in 2020 that killed Herman Cain (I think). We got to their house exactly at the moment she called my BIL to obviously laugh (tee-hee, tee-hee) about his "joke" on us that was about to be discovered. They'd obviously been talking about it. It's just so fucking petty -- just like this "joke" the company that wanted to do the sponsorship and Brandon Brown in this case. His quotes are completely contradictory -- I don't want to be cancelled for something I had nothing to do with yet I want to profit from this sponsorship on my car that is crystal fucking clear what it's trying to say.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Celebrating America issuch a threat to some a y’all.

That is strange AF to me.

Why is it necessary to "celebrate America" every fucking week?  Don't we have a Fourth of July?  Do we not honor our veterans on Memorial Day?  How much "tribute" is necessary?  

I absolutely get chills when the Star Spangled Banner is played, in certain situations and love my country.  But I don't see the need to bow at the alter of America every time a sporting event is played. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Why is it necessary to "celebrate America" every fucking week?  Don't we have a Fourth of July?  Do we not honor our veterans on Memorial Day?  How much "tribute" is necessary?  

I absolutely get chills when the Star Spangled Banner is played, in certain situations and love my country.  But I don't see the need to bow at the alter of America every time a sporting event is played. 

Bow at the altar? 

How dare we acknowledge the sacrifice and commitment required to preserve our very special way of life.  Like I said earlier, it’s unfathomable that some people perceive this as a threat. It is such an imposition upon them… SMDH.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Bow at the altar? 

How dare we acknowledge the sacrifice and commitment required to preserve our very special way of life.  Like I said earlier, it’s unfathomable that some people perceive this as a threat. It is such an imposition upon them… SMDH.

I have no problem with the anthem for the reasons stated above. Remembering the sacrifice others have made more than 2x a year is not unreasonable.

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So.....my current takeaway on this thread is that we can make a product that we would both make money off of AND happily consumer -- a "No Rules NASCAR," if you will?

In.  And I appoint myself head of the screening committee on the big old southern assets, CFS, and 45 oz beers.  I am quite qualified in all respects.  Because America.

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

Bow at the altar? 

I think it's more the naked hypocrisy of it all. Sure, let's celebrate all that makes America great--and those who have sacrificed to protect it--any and every chance that we get. Absolutely, I'm all for that.

But the biggest flag-waving "Patriots" (as they love to call themselves) tend to be the same ones who get apocalyptic at the notion of someone protesting or criticizing  something about America. People who, in most cases, still love America, but don't look like us and haven't had the same upbringing or American experience as us. So the Patriots claim to love America but could give a fuck what it actually represents--and what it strives to be--beyond Budweiser, loud noises, and three colors.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And I appoint myself head of the screening committee on the big old southern assets

MeeMaw's gonna have something to show you...

50 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I think it's more the naked hypocrisy of it all. Sure, let's celebrate all that makes America great--and those who have sacrificed to protect it--any and every chance that we get. Absolutely, I'm all for that.

But the biggest flag-waving "Patriots" (as they love to call themselves) tend to be the same ones who get apocalyptic at the notion of someone protesting or criticizing  something about America. People who, in most cases, still love America, but don't look like us and haven't had the same upbringing or American experience as us. So the Patriots claim to love America but could give a fuck what it actually represents--and what it strives to be--beyond Budweiser, loud noises, and three colors.

Protest and criticize all you want.  On your own time.  Not in uniform at the event.

You want to sit there and listen to Tim Tebow protest about babies being aborted at a sporting event?  

39 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

If we're going Pure NASCAR, MeeMaw might only be 32. She's still in the game.

Listen to this man, he has the wisdom of a lifetime of immersion in the culture. He probably got married once or twice in the infield at ‘dega and insists upon continuing to refer to it as the Winston cup. 

• Drool 1

12 hours ago, C-Man said:

My BIL thought it was really cute to wrap my wife's and my Christmas presents in "Let's Go Brandon" wrapping paper knowing full well we can't stand Trump and the other MAGAts. It damn near ruined the day. My wife was fucking pissed. I tried to play it off as best I could in order to keep the proceedings from flying completely off the rails. I know he's a total moron too.

I likely would not have stayed quiet at that, but then again, that's why I don't talk to my Trumpy sister and BIL anymore.  Ain't nobody got time for that nonsense at Christmas.

56 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Protest and criticize all you want.  On your own time.  Not in uniform at the event.

You want to sit there and listen to Tim Tebow protest about babies being aborted at a sporting event?  

Ah yes, like Martin Luther King used to always say: "Speak truth to power...only when it's most convenient, you're putting nothing at stake, and no one is listening."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Sack has a valid point though.  In this day and age...as a big-name athlete, you can reach more people and with more effectiveness through social media or a press conference or an op-ed or a talk show appearance than you ever can with some on the field demonstration.  I guess you can do the demonstration/signage thing and then hope it gets picked and goes viral, but if the governing bodies of your sport/venue/etc. say "no"...than it's "NO!"  And you take that shit to the social media or the airwaves or online publications, etc.  

There was a time of course when that was simply not possible.  When Tommie Smith and John Carlos put up their fists in Mexico City...it sparked a conversation and rightfully so.  There wasn't a slew of civil rights journalists just hanging around the Olympic Village hoping for a scoop.  So they took advantage of their world stage, created an iconic image, and a dialogue was forced to take the next steps.  By the time they returned home and waited weeks to get on The Dick Cavett show, their 15 minutes of fame would have been over.  I think what they did was completely appropriate and even heroic.  

I totally get the control these leagues/associations have over the uniforms, the cars, the stadium signage, etc.  There's so much fucking money on the line, if they tell you the nike emblem on your uniform is obfuscated by extra pad you're wearing, you're gonna hear about it.  If there's something on your car they don't like the appearance of on TV, you're not racing on their track.  I think we all accept that.  Hell Steinbrenner wouldn't let you have long hair or a beard.  But the curious question is what kind of physical behavior can they control of yours. 

9 hours ago, slorch said:

Celebrating America issuch a threat to some a y’all.

That is strange AF to me.

7 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Bow at the altar? 

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Slorch, it's not that celebrating is a threat to some of us, it's how it's celebrated, and it's also this whole binary thing that far too many on the right make it out to be that  either you love your country and therefore have to do X, Y, and Z, or if you fail to do X, Y, or Z, then you don't love your country.   We take our country worship to a level that most countries don't (yeah, insert joke about "WERE AMERKA FUCK YEAH!").  

We've all been to sporting events in the past 5 years or so, at least most have, and we know how many people don't give a shit about things like the anthem, and are just standing up because everybody else is, and they are more inspired by the ass of the woman (or man) in front of them than by anything Francis Scott Key wrote down .  We don't shame folks who don't take their hats off  or who use the anthem as a chance to duck out and drain their bladder one last time or hit the snack stand before the game starts. 

The problem is ultimately Americans who question other Americans' patriotism simply because they don't support their guy or do X, Y, or Z.  It's always been an issue, but it was easy to ignore until social media really took hold.

It's ultimately fucking theater when you break it down.

Yeah, not every game can be the US vs USSR in hockey at the 1980 Olympics in New York, but we place a weird importance on these things, without recognizing that the Declaration of Independence/Constitution actually mean that we don't have to worship our country, we can just be happy living in it.  Or better yet, we can love/worship our country, but not the politicians or political parties.  Plus, these are not unique/singular events when it's a bunch of millionaires versus another bunch of millionaires, and they will probably meet again in a few months (or the following weekend if it's NASCAR) and we all know it.  It's just a motion we go through, like the 7th inning stretch in baseball, and it's a way to help singers sell records or to reward somebody whose daddy donated some advertising so his son or daughter could sing the national anthem.

I've had a few people question my patriotism over the past few years, and I always chuckle when I tell them I'll show them my DD214 and they can show me their's, and they are looking at me like I'm speaking in tongues. 

If you want to celebrate America on a very regular basis, great, more power to you.  I had 12 years worth of saying the Pledge of Allegiance every day in school when I was a kid, and I spent my early 20s in the Army, so I'm good.  Don't get upset if I duck out and hit the shitter when they announce the national anthem.  There are certain days/holidays that I will definitely pause and consider/reflect/respect, but I don't consider a fucking sporting event to be a solemn occasion for that kind of reflection.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

sorry you were troubled.  OMFG.

Just be a fucking man about it and say what the fuck you want to say.  You expect me to believe the PoA was some big fucking scarring activity that happened to you throughout school?

LOlz.  hey.  I'm cool with not saying it.  I don't disagree that it's a goofy exercise.  Whatever.  i'm fine with folks not standing tfor the national anthem.  Again, whatever.  Nothing about playing it threatens anyone at the games or events.  The notion that it does is fucking asinine.

Some a y'all carry around this boulder of guilt about America and it's simultaneously hilarious and insane.  Nothing about the PoA or SSB says the country is perfect.  Y'all seem to cling to the idea that because it isn't, that everything else is null and void.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I blame Lee Greenwood and his shitty Least-Ah-Know-Ah'm-Free song. I loved celebrating America until I heard that shitty song.

And now I can't even run off to Canada because Lee Greenwood did another version of his shitty song for them too.

That song came out around the time a culture of patriotic virtue signaling sprang up which happened to be around the same time the U.S. began it's 30 years of military adventures in the Middle East.

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Sack has a valid point though.  In this day and age...as a big-name athlete, you can reach more people and with more effectiveness through social media or a press conference or an op-ed or a talk show appearance than you ever can with some on the field demonstration.  I guess you can do the demonstration/signage thing and then hope it gets picked and goes viral, but if the governing bodies of your sport/venue/etc. say "no"...than it's "NO!"  And you take that shit to the social media or the airwaves or online publications, etc. . 

Going to have to disagree here.  Colin Kaepernick's statement didn't gain attention via Social Media which was plenty prevalent in 2015.  It got attention because the average NFL game viewership is 16M people and key moments are discussed endlessly by the sports media for days to follow.  Like it or not, on-field demonstrations are likely the most impactful.  If the leagues will benefit($) more than be harmed by those actions expect to see more and more of them, which has been the trend.  League revenues will dictate policy.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

sorry you were troubled.  OMFG.

It wasn't really directed at you, and that's years of this shit going back to Colin Kaepernick and people shitting all over Nate Boyer for giving him that advice.

And all of that was in context of people who loved Trump and claim to be patriotic, when there is nothing in Trump's DNA that screams anything about him (or his family) loving America, and they go around bitching about other people not being patriotic, when they support a fucking draft dodger that shits on Gold Star families and war heroes.

Just pisses me off.

And throw in some NASCAR/pro-sports stuff as well.  I grew up watching NASCAR and hate what it's become (on multiple levels).

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 1/6/2022 at 10:44 AM, Johnny Sack said:

I somehow skimmed over this part my first time through.

If that happened, I'd go, "Hmm, Tim Tebow thinks exactly how I assumed Tim Tebow thinks" and then go about my day. But I'm not a giant fucking titty baby who gets outraged at a guy taking a knee during the national anthem, pretending that it's some sacred cow when, up until recently, I never heard the anthem in pregame because I was too busy devouring nachos and boring my wife with how many fantasy points I need the running back to score.

• Hook 'Em 5

22 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I somehow skimmed over this part my first time through.

If that happened, I'd go, "Hmm, Tim Tebow thinks exactly how I assumed Tim Tebow thinks" and then go about my day. But I'm not a giant fucking titty baby who gets outraged at a guy taking a knee during the national anthem, pretending that it's some sacred cow when, up until recently, I never heard the anthem in pregame because I was too busy devouring nachos and boring my wife with how many fantasy points I need the running back to score.

You sound like a really cool dude.  

It is pretty funny though. I work on a Navy base, which means I hear the national anthem every single day at exactly 8AM. And, every day at 8AM, you see the exact same thing: military and ex-military, Navy divers, spec ops guys, dudes who have actually been in the shit...anyone within 20 feet of a building is ducking in to avoid having to stand still for 90 seconds.

But I have a dozen in-laws who never served a day in their life, and claim that they'll never watch another football game because of Colin Kaepernick.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

On 1/6/2022 at 7:14 PM, slorch said:

Some a y'all carry around this boulder of guilt about America and it's simultaneously hilarious and insane. 

Actually, it's just a sliver of guilt, it's well deserved, and it makes me a much stronger and prouder and critical thinker and citizen.  I  also don't have to lie to myself or belittle other Americans to satisfy some pathetic patriotic dick measuring contest.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

It is pretty funny though. I work on a Navy base, which means I hear the national anthem every single day at exactly 8AM. And, every day at 8AM, you see the exact same thing: military and ex-military, Navy divers, spec ops guys, dudes who have actually been in the shit...anyone within 20 feet of a building is ducking in to avoid having to stand still for 90 seconds.

But I have a dozen in-laws who never served a day in their life, and claim that they'll never watch another football game because of Colin Kaepernick.

Totally forgot about that environment… worked at the Coast Guard School in Petaluma for a few years. How’s the food on the navy base? I recall because the base I was on is an actual school… all the people learning how to cook just got started so the food was horrible at one point of the year and gradually gets better over time. It still wasn’t great or anything but I still appreciated the heavily subsidized fare even contractors received. 

8 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Actually, it's just a sliver of guilt, it's well deserved, and it makes me a much stronger and prouder and critical thinker and citizen.  I  also don't have to lie to myself or belittle other Americans to satisfy some pathetic patriotic dick measuring contest.

Playing the national anthem belittles others?  I mean yeah, making fun of a hilariously inept president with a funny slogan could be offensive, and I get that piece.

It's funny how your 'humble' reply contains a nice element of the 'superiority complex" your fuckers embrace.  Oh don't forget how you are a self-described critical thinker also.  Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, and all of that...

Parden me while I roll my fucking eyes.  LOlz.

Edited:

Playing the national anthem belittles others?  A flyover before events threatens you?

I mean yeah, making fun of a hilariously inept president with a funny slogan could be offensive, and I get that piece.  yet and still, the very expression by a large crowd at a sporting event is about as American as it gets, or to be more specific, the lack of persecution/ prosecution for it is.  I'm not a NASCAR fan and haven't really watched it since the 90's/ mid Oughts.  If you had 10 sponsors out there, I doubt I'd be able to match 3 of the drivers with them. I couldn't tell you who drives for Roush or whatever either.  As others in the thread have said, it got boring real quick.  I've seen the initial interview when "Let's Go Brandon " came to life and it's pretty damned funny.  That element of humor is lost on the tight panties up the crack crowd.  The embracers of "protest" don't support protests that aren't in their spectrum of politics.

It's funny how your 'humble' reply contains a nice element of the 'superiority complex" your fuckers embrace.  Oh don't forget how you are a self-described critical thinker also.  Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, and all of that...

Parden me while I roll my fucking eyes.  LOlz.

Edited by slorch