Wordle [spoilers inevitable but discouraged]

Prepuce of Doom

6 hours ago, WBT said:

Playing around on wordle unlimited I've realized there are some words that are unsolvable on hard mode.  Specifically, words that with 4 green letters, there are 4, 5, 6, or more possibilities for the final letter.

_ears

bears, dears, fears, gears, hears, nears, pears, rears, sears, tears, years

On hard mode, your first guess could be bears and you're still not guaranteed to get one of the other words it in 6 tries.

Even on regular mode it would be tough (impossible?) to guess words to eliminate all the possibilities.

I wonder if wordle original flavor is intentionally avoiding these kind of words.

on easy with a first guess bears you could get

BEARS

STING

FORTH

DOPEY

to get all those.  I don’t have a point just wanted to see if I could get it.  I bet you’re right they avoid super common letter arrangements  

Did it on my phone, but got it in 3/6 today.

Postgame presser:

I think it's real important that we keep this momentum looking ahead to the next game. We seem to be executing well in the past few days, getting off to a fast start and being able to finish strong. At some point, the way this league is, there will be something new that's thrown at us like plugging in a Z in the slot or something else we aren't expecting. We just need to remember the fundamentals and know that it's a six-line ballgame. At this point, however, we're just happy to string together nice wins.

Question: Would a similar style game be more or less fun with numbers? 

So today's number is: "45862" and you have to guess it in six tries or less.

Obviously you'd get all the numbers included within two guesses, but location would be much harder I think.

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Obviously you'd get all the numbers included within two guesses, but location would be much harder I think.

Personally, I think it would be less fun, because you don’t have a bounded bank of possible solutions (i.e. a vocabulary of five letter words) that the player has familiarity with.  You also don’t have phonetic rules in place with numbers that would help figure out placement.  Numbers would just be a bunch of random guesses, eliminating a few numbers after two guesses.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Personally, I think it would be less fun, because you don’t have a bounded bank of possible solutions (i.e. a vocabulary of five letter words) that the player has familiarity with.  You also don’t have phonetic rules in place with numbers that would help figure out placement.  Numbers would just be a bunch of random guesses, eliminating a few numbers after two guesses.  

I can see that. It wouldn't quite be random because you'd still have the yellow/green information, but there are no bounds like with words. I thought maybe it would be a little like Sudoku.

7 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Even if you add in a duplicate number it wouldn’t take long.

45864-answer

guess 1: 12345

guess 2: 67890

guess 3: 86856

guess 4: 54854

guess 5: 45864

34 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Guess 1: 12345

guess 3: 24856

guess 4: 56824

guess 5: 45862

As long as you get at least 1 green in your first two guesses you mathematically can solve it in 5 guesses every time.  Getting it in 3 or 4 would just be luck.

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I can see that. It wouldn't quite be random because you'd still have the yellow/green information, but there are no bounds like with words. I thought maybe it would be a little like Sudoku.

You could add in checksum as a clue, which is pretty much what sudoku does.  That would add another logic piece to the puzzle to make it more fun, but it still doesn’t break any ground not already covered in sudoku. 

11 hours ago, WBT said:

Playing around on wordle unlimited I've realized there are some words that are unsolvable on hard mode.  Specifically, words that with 4 green letters, there are 4, 5, 6, or more possibilities for the final letter.

_ears

bears, dears, fears, gears, hears, nears, pears, rears, sears, tears, years

On hard mode, your first guess could be bears and you're still not guaranteed to get one of the other words it in 6 tries.

Even on regular mode it would be tough (impossible?) to guess words to eliminate all the possibilities.

I wonder if wordle original flavor is intentionally avoiding these kind of words.

Looks like not.  This is whatever the default is.  I assume that's not hard.

image.png.b8f25af560663d3dcb6d01f454ef9d9e.png

39 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Guess 1: 12345

guess 3: 24856

guess 4: 56824

guess 5: 45862

As long as you get at least 1 green in your first two guesses you mathematically can solve it in 5 guesses every time.  Getting it in 3 or 4 would just be luck.

<insert Chevy Chase SNL no math gif>

• Hook 'Em 1

Wordle Unlimited. 11 in 4. Try doing that with numbers instead of words.

Playing with 11-letter words is kind of weird. The hardest part is coming up with words that fit. I could’ve solved this in 2 or 3 guesses but there are so many possible prefixes and suffixes to contemplate that you can spend a considerable amount of time thinking through them all. Using a word you know can’t be right can be helpful in eliminating a lot of possibilities. This was the first time it took me more than 3 guesses. I was sure I was going to have this in 3 but then it turned out to be just a plural of a 10-letter word.

Spoiler

F9C8BCE8-1BDF-433D-86FF-C6F63B21860C.thumb.png.d164b8cbffdb728f431faa5c087fcfc3.png

Edited by WhatTheBuck

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

You ever play mastermind?  Basically the same idea but you guess a sequence of random colors (out of six choices) instead of digits.

300px-Mastermind.jpg

Just now, WBT said:

You ever play mastermind?  Basically the same idea but you guess a sequence of random colors (out of six choices) instead of digits.

300px-Mastermind.jpg

Absolutely. Came to mind when I was typing it out. Didn't mention it because wasn't sure if it was a well known game. Had a friend who had it and it's the only place I think I've ever seen it.

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Wordle Unlimited. 11 in 4. Try doing that with numbers instead of words.

Playing with 11-letter words is kind of weird. The hardest part is coming up with words that fit. I could’ve solved this in 2 or 3 guesses but there are so many possible prefixes and suffixes to contemplate that you can spend a considerable amount of time thinking through them all. Using a word you know can’t be right can be helpful in eliminating a lot of possibilities. This was the first time it took me more than 3 guesses. I was sure I was going to have this in 3 but then it turned out to be just a plural of a 10-letter word.

Hide contents

F9C8BCE8-1BDF-433D-86FF-C6F63B21860C.thumb.png.d164b8cbffdb728f431faa5c087fcfc3.png

Interesting starting word there. Just happened to come to mind, eh?

8 minutes ago, WBT said:

300px-Mastermind.jpg

Great game. Played it as a kid. That’s when I learned the word “logic.” I gave it to my nephew for Xmas some years back. I don’t know if he ever took to it. 

17 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Interesting starting word there. Just happened to come to mind, eh?

Mainly I was thinking about the suffix, and the fact that the word had an E, an A, and the letter S twice (which the solution also had). Was there a subconscious element? I can’t say. My two previous starting guesses were catastrophe and cataclysmic so who knows. If we want to pull at that string then I could say that narcissist and autocratic have too few letters and authoritarian has too many. But let’s say it just happened to come to mind and leave it at that. I don’t want to sound pessimistic.