Wordle [spoilers inevitable but discouraged]

Prepuce of Doom

3 hours ago, USCATX said:

I need to adjust my strategy from “you play to win the game” to trying to get it in 3. 

Wordle 220 5/6

🟨🟨
🟨🟨
🟩🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

isnkL0.gif

late to the party, dead ugly start.  

Wordle 220 4/6

🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I am off opening with nards and motel until further notice...in this game and my craigslist postings!

Damn, my average is now closer to 4 than it is to 3.  If I continue on this, I will have to commit Hairy Carry to save my honor.  Oh, what about those?  I'm gonna use Hairy or Carry to start tomorrow.  

Edited by Lobo

Absurdle 12/∞
🟨
🟨
🟨🟨
🟨🟩
🟩🟨
🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
https://qntm.org/files/wordle/
Same as wordle but is actively trying to keep you from getting it right. Best score is four guesses. Explanation here

Yup, I’m too dumb to understand this.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s bullshit that adieu is allowed- i guess  it’s ubiquitous in England so they put it in?

are you being serious?  Nearly half of the words in "English" are derived from Latin/Romance language or Greek.  

But you're right, where you draw the line...how frequent does a word from a Romance language have to be in English before it's considered a word of the "English" language?  We should start a war or something to sort it out.

Damnit. This was harder than it probably should’ve been. I used a word I knew wasn’t a winner in order to get the answer. They don’t have a hard mode but even if they did, I didn’t follow it. I’m 2-for-2 on 5 tries to solve an 8-letter puzzle. I’ve never taken that long to solve an 11-letter puzzle and only taken that long to solve a 5-letter puzzle once.

Ooh, look. There’s a new feature so I’m not editing the URL this time. They also have a new feature where you can choose your own word and it will give you a link to send to friends to challenge them.

Wordle Unlimited 5/6

🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Think you can do better? Try the same puzzle: 
https://www.wordleunlimited.com/?wardle=Y2xpbmljYWw=

53 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Damnit. This was harder than it probably should’ve been. I used a word I knew wasn’t a winner in order to get the answer. They don’t have a hard mode but even if they did, I didn’t follow it. I’m 2-for-2 on 5 tries to solve an 8-letter puzzle. I’ve never taken that long to solve an 11-letter puzzle and only taken that long to solve a 5-letter puzzle once.

Ooh, look. There’s a new feature so I’m not editing the URL this time. They also have a new feature where you can choose your own word and it will give you a link to send to friends to challenge them.

Wordle Unlimited 5/6

🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle Unlimited 4/6

🟩🟨
🟨🟨
🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

(I'm liking this with longer words)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

4 seems to be the best I can do on longer ones...

Wordle Unlimited 4/6

🟩🟨🟨🟨

🟨🟨🟨

🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

https://www.wordleunlimited.com/?wardle=ZGVsaWdodA==

This was weird. Not a single letter out of place. Still should’ve had it in three.

Wordle Unlimited 4/6

🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This was weird. Not a single letter out of place. Still should’ve had it in three.

Wordle Unlimited 4/6

🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle Unlimited 3/6

🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

First try with more than the standard 5-letter. Boom. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You don’t think solving the puzzle in four guesses is a success?

It’s not abject failure.  Naturally a competitive person will want to get the puzzle solved as quickly as possible. 

My oldest nephew in DC is first in his class and a big, aggressive athlete. He’s super competitive with me because he challenged his old uncle to a game of one-on-one basketball and I beat him 11 - 0 twice in a row.   He hasn’t gotten over the sting of those defeats. 

Now we are on to Wordle and the number of attempts to solve are compared every morning.   

So, sure, I don’t want to waste any guesses.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, deadshank said:

It’s not abject failure.  Naturally a competitive person will want to get the puzzle solved as quickly as possible. 

My oldest nephew in DC is first in his class and a big, aggressive athlete. He’s super competitive with me because he challenged his old uncle to a game of one-on-one basketball and I beat him 11 - 0 twice in a row.   He hasn’t gotten over the sting of those defeats. 

Now we are on to Wordle and the number of attempts to solve are compared every morning.   

So, sure, I don’t want to waste any guesses.

I haven’t solved a 5-letter puzzle in 2 guesses yet. (I have done so with an 11-letter puzzle in Wordle Unlimited, though.) Only once has it taken me 5 guesses to solve Wordle. I’m hoping to solve it in 3 guesses but 4 is acceptable. There’s an element of chance involved. I might just as easily have solved today’s puzzle in 3 guesses as in 4. There wasn’t a clue I missed that a more astute player would’ve picked up on. I just happened to pick one word instead of the other. 

I didn’t pick any correct letters with my first guess. But I eliminated 5 commonly used letters. I don’t consider that wasted. That’s valuable information. The goal is to solve the puzzle in 6 guesses so I suppose, technically speaking, solving it in 6 or fewer guesses is a success. But as long as I can keep it to 3 or 4, I’m happy.

How many guesses did it take your nephew to solve today’s puzzle?

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I haven’t solved a 5-letter puzzle in 2 guesses yet. (I have done so with an 11-letter puzzle in Wordle Unlimited, though.) Only once has it taken me 5 guesses to solve Wordle. I’m hoping to solve it in 3 guesses but 4 is acceptable. There’s an element of chance involved. I might just as easily have solved today’s puzzle in 3 guesses as in 4. There wasn’t a clue I missed that a more astute player would’ve picked up on. I just happened to pick one word instead of the other. 

I didn’t pick any correct letters with my first guess. But I eliminated 5 commonly used letters. I don’t consider that wasted. That’s valuable information. The goal is to solve the puzzle in 6 guesses so I suppose, technically speaking, solving it in 6 or fewer guesses is a success. But as long as I can keep it to 3 or 4, I’m happy.

How many guesses did it take your nephew to solve today’s puzzle?

I completely agree with you.  The first guess is a crap shoot with commonly used letters and hope to get lucky and improve the odds on the next guess. 

I will find out what my nephew did later this morning.   He’s probably getting baked behind the car wash across from his high school and hasn’t done the puzzle yet.  

Right now we are even up.  1 win each and 3 ties. 

• Haha 1

So annoying today.

Wordle 221 5/6

🟩
🟩
🟩
🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler

Got the H right off the bat. But it’s not SH, not TH, not CH, but the rarer WH. Also the last vowel I tried was the one, on the 4th try. Damn thing.

Edited by 'stache

Starting to reach my fill of Wordle. It's fun, but between starting with the same word each day and always completing the word each day (I figure my average is around 4.1 tries), it's become a bit of a formula. I figure I've got another week until I'm over it. 

So annoying today.
Wordle 221 5/6
🟩
🟩
🟩
🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler

Got the H right off the bat. But it’s not SH, not TH, not CH, but the rarer WH. Also the last vowel I tried was the one, on the 4th try. Damn thing.

I do the train /coupe strategy now. Getting the A and C with no E for the ending made me think it ended in ACK

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Starting to reach my fill of Wordle. It's fun, but between starting with the same word each day and always completing the word each day (I figure my average is around 4.1 tries), it's become a bit of a formula. I figure I've got another week until I'm over it. 

I always start with a different 5 letter word.  Literally the first one that pops in my head.  I don't think I've repeated a starting word in 3 or 4 days. 

Sometimes I get boned (Mon/Tues were not good days as I didn't solve it) and sometimes it works.