Wordle [spoilers inevitable but discouraged]

Prepuce of Doom

21 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What feedback, if any, did it give?

Testing in the other browser, solving the puzzle in 6 guesses returned “Phew.”

No feedback. Just the correct word in the banner where the feedback usually is. That’s all the feedback that a loser deserves, I guess. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, USCATX said:

What the hell, I’m on line 4 and know that first two letters for certain and likely the third and can’t even come up with an actual word for my guess.   Might have to finish coffee and shower before I continue.  

I know a good hint to use here.

Spoiler

Did you use a washcloth when you showered?

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Wordle Unlimited 3/6

🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟨🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Think you can do better? Try the same puzzle: 
https://www.wordleunlimited.com/?wardle=YXVkaXRpbmc=

Wordle Unlimited 4/6

🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟨🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Using a new starting word, and 2nd word, if I get nothing with the first. Nothing worse than 4 since.

Hide contents

aisle then mound

Wordle 225 4/6

🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The editor of the New York Times crossword puzzle said on CBS Sunday Morning that he starts with “arose.” I’m not giving away the word I started with today. I think the first word I started with was “train.” More often than not I’ve started with “stern” and then if no letters hit then I’ve tried “chalk.” Oh wait, I just lied. Okay, I didn’t lie but I horribly misremembered. Checking my previous puzzles, I never tried chalk at all. My mistake. (I’ll share some recent puzzles below.)

The point I was going to make was that on Friday, on a lark, I started with “quirk” instead of “stern.” Would I have performed better or worse if I’d started with “stern?” I can’t know for sure but I doubt it. When the solution was “could” I wasted a guess trying “coyly” thinking the puzzler might be getting cute, and if I’d been successful guessing “coyly” in 3 then that would’ve made me look like I was very clever. Instead it made me look foolish, relatively speaking. I think the key to making a successful fad out of the game is to not make it too hard. You’re probably not going to run into a word you don’t know nor one that is relatively hard to solve. Don’t overthink it.

What if the solution was “poppy?” How many guesses would it take you to get that? Three p’s, an o, and a y? One could easily go two guesses without hitting one correct letter. Would “stern” never be the solution because it’s more likely to be solved with one guess? Or would “poppy” never be the solution because no one would be likely to solve the puzzle in one guess? Is there any thought that goes into it at all? Some of the recent solutions suggested that there were. Right, like “perky” was a totally random choice after “prick,” “whack,” and “mount.” Sure, it could’ve conceivably have been just a coincidence. But it’s not unreasonable to suspect that there might have been some human intent involved  

Anyway, here are my last few puzzles before today (not spoilering them because I don’t think it’s giving anything away):

40D2554E-51F5-40BB-BF69-DF949A21D3D2.thumb.png.5e677c3c6b61f862764755cbea035833.png
9776FD10-A1B5-4F51-B11E-9BF2CE1F359E.thumb.png.f19db5721f85f050abc844572653e540.png
A07CEFFD-6EC6-4AB6-A391-60085FD3DFC2.thumb.png.19c20b154c7690dedd829d4b42815bd9.png
8B561B5E-0F47-47C0-97A8-F84A85557592.thumb.png.feee1d9b4a3437e998598db0c2bb22d4.png
423DDE6E-938F-41F3-841A-3B51FCE18967.thumb.png.0563f1a7e44ad2ce1d95bb8804e4f676.png

18 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

first 8 letter wordle.

Wordle Unlimited 5/6

🟨🟩🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟨🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That one made me angry because it didn’t justify my reason for trying 8-letter words instead of 11-letter words.(See spoiler below.) I thought maybe 8-letter words would be the sweet spot in terms of toughness between 5-letter words and 11-letter words.

I may try a 9-letter puzzle next just so I can start with an initial guess of “sphincter.” Not just to thumb my nose at the game but also because that would be a pretty good first guess. 

Spoiler

“Auditing?” Seriously? One of my main motivations for moving from the 11-letter puzzle to the 8-letter puzzle was to free myself from having to consider words with suffixes like “-ing,” “-ion,” “-ics,” etc. And then it gave me a 5-letter word with an “ing” suffix. I also find it annoying when I’m trying to solve any x-letter puzzle and the solution turns out to be an x-1-letter word with an “s” appended to make it a plural. 

9 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Pulled this out of my ass

Wordle 225 4/6

🟩
🟩
🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Me too. One in a million shot Doc.

Wordle 225 5/6

🟩
🟩
🟩
🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Lol

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I know a good hint to use here.

Reveal hidden contents

Did you use a washcloth when you showered?

Haha, I went to brunch, had a couple bloody Marias and pulled this back up (before seeing your spoiler) and it popped in my head in about 10 seconds.  Apparently tequila is better than coffee for my creativity.  

Wordle 225 4/6

🟩🟨
🟩🟨
🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s not that word

One of wife's guesses was "crome' today.  I was giving her shit about it not being a word when she fires back in the family group text about it being a legal scrabble word, some sort of garden implement in Britain.  Yeah, you know you meant the shiny silver metal.

Booooo!!!!!

5 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

first 8 letter wordle.

Wordle Unlimited 5/6

🟨🟩🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟨🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle Unlimited 4/6