2022 NCAA Baseball News

torre

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Tennessee also beat Florida so that's good for us RPI wise. And keeps UF from getting a top 8 seed.

Boo this man!!!   Still, beating piggy and  bama and aggy to make the final was overachieving.   I’ll take it.   Was hoping to beat them and get a home regional. 

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Boo this man!!!   Still, beating piggy and  bama and aggy to make the final was overachieving.   I’ll take it.   Was hoping to beat them and get a home regional. 

Well at the time I was thinking of us being a top 8 seed if we beat OU. But then we sucked again. So in retrospect it didn't matter.

30 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well at the time I was thinking of us being a top 8 seed if we beat OU. But then we sucked again. So in retrospect it didn't matter.

I don’t know enough about the Horns, but gata ain’t gonna Omaha this year.  Winning a regional is still possible, but we aren’t elite. 

44 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I don’t know enough about the Horns, but gata ain’t gonna Omaha this year.  Winning a regional is still possible, but we aren’t elite. 

Oh we aren't elite either. But, you know, maybe we get hot at the right time.

Clemson fires its baseball coach.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34015654/clemson-fires-baseball-coach-monte-lee-missing-ncaa-tournament

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Clemson has fired baseball coach Monte Lee after his team missed its second straight NCAA tournament.

First-year athletic director Graham Neff announced the move Tuesday. Lee had spent seven seasons with the Tigers. He made the NCAA tournament in each of his first four seasons to extend the program's run of 32 straight postseason appearances.

The NCAA tournament was canceled due to coronavirus pandemic in 2020, and Clemson's streak ended the next year. The Tigers went 35-23 (13-16 ACC) this season. Their season finished last week with two losses at the ACC tournament.

"The expectations for Clemson baseball are very high," Neff said in a statement. "The team's recent on-field performance has not met those of our administration, our coaching staff, our student athletes or our loyal fanbase."

Neff said the university is committed returning to where it had been -- Clemson reached the College World Series six times from 1995 through 2010 -- and would conduct a national search for Lee's successor.

Lee went 242-136 overall with the Tigers and 102-86 in ACC play. This year's team featured power-hitter Max Wagner, who had 27 home runs to tie the program record and was named the ACC Player of the Year.

Assistant Bradley LeCroy and director of operations Brad Owens will oversee the program while the search is conducted.

32 minutes ago, torre said:

https://www.si.com/college/clemson/baseball/whos-next-at-clemson-an-early-look-at-candidates-to-replace-monte-lee

Above article gives list of possible candidates for Clemson.    One is Cliff Godwin,  East Carolina, which could prove to be a distraction for them if we meet in a SR.

If it's really a distraction, they won't make it to a SR.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:00 PM, torre said:

Arkansas radio host "goes off" on Michael Turner,  catcher grad transfer from Kent St.     No words...

Arkansas baseball is crumbling.   Their sports info director needs to coach players on interviews, especially from demeaning radio personalities.   

We have a point of clarification on who's actually the loser/stupid ass/disgrace:

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There are going to be a lot of good options available. Ethan Groff from Tulane also entered the portal yesterday. 

Yep. Baseball portal will be extra wild because of the scholarship limits. We will have a lot of open spots and $ available assuming the draft plays out like we think it will.

Tampering in baseball will be just as bad if not worse than football or basketball. With the amount of travel ball teams, area code teams, all-star teams, etc that these kids have played on, the back channeling is stupid easy. And unlike football and basketball, you can straight up offer a kid more scholarship money to come to your school because very rarely are these kids on full rides.

Edited by Hookem2147

42 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Guy has his pick of any big-time baseball program in the country and is leaning toward Florida State?

Grew up in Florida and supposedly he wants to go back home. So I guess it could be any of Florida, Miami, and Florida State. Just saw the most buzz about Florida State 

29 minutes ago, petscii said:

I guess I'll have to buy season tickets to Washington baseball again now the Meggs is gone.

Man, I didn't like him, but 2018 made me stop criticizing.  I went to a game in April and they looked like shit, though.  

I've seen rumblings that this wasn't actually a voluntary retirement.

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Man, I didn't like him, but 2018 made me stop criticizing.  I went to a game in April and they looked like shit, though.  

I've seen rumblings that this wasn't actually a voluntary retirement.

2018 wins got vacated so I never stopped.  He was not an improvement over Knutson who I loved.  Fresh start is good for everyone.  I was wondering this morning how he was keeping his job with so many others falling.  

I've actually had a nightmare that he was announced as the head coach at Texas.

Now does the national search mean a JuCo or do they bring in a Alumni to coach the team ala ASU/Rice.

L I N C E C U M 

44 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Wow... would love to land this guy.  What is impact of transferring with respect to service requirements?   

If you do so in your Freshman or Sophomore year, you don't have any. And he is a Sophomore.

Guess he decided he wants to give this baseball thing a try instead of a military career.

1 minute ago, petscii said:

I'd be fine with that. 

They have proven over and over that they don't care about baseball, so I just chuckled when I read "national search."  We could do worse than that guy, though, so I'm fine with it, too.  

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

They have proven over and over that they don't care about baseball, so I just chuckled when I read "national search."  We could do worse than that guy, though, so I'm fine with it, too.  

Well, we have come a long way from Graves field.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

If you do so in your Freshman or Sophomore year, you don't have any. And he is a Sophomore.

Guess he decided he wants to give this baseball thing a try instead of a military career.

Maybe General Daly gave him a call