2022 NCAA Baseball News

torre

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Pierce has pulled two of the top transfers the last 2 years in Antico and Messinger. 

This is far from a worry with Pierce. 

There’s a big difference between finding the perfect missing piece to round out an order and needing to find 5 of those. And trying to replace Quintanilla with under recruited juco guys instead of elite transfers last offseason was a failure 

Just now, UnhappilyMarried said:

There’s a big difference between finding the perfect missing piece to round out an order and needing to find 5 of those. And trying to replace Quintanilla with under recruited juco guys instead of elite transfers last offseason was a failure 

The season just ended and the transfer portal is full of good players. It's going to be fine. 

I don't understand your point about Quintanilla. They didn't go after "elite transfers" because they thought Nixon, Duplantier, and other bullpen pitchers would be better. Not to mention Gordon would have potentially been in the bullpen had Witt not been injured (at least in the postseason). They didn't try to replace Quintanilla with under recruited juco guys they overvalued the pitchers they had and some bad luck with Witt. 

Parker Bostic was Jose's first pitching coach.   No coaching experience.   Ran a baseball performance clinic called Maximized Baseball which focused on analytics.   Rice team ERA was 6.04.    Bangs pitched at SCar, Jose must have got a rec from someone.   

Need Rice to be competitive.

• Hook 'Em 1

USC Insider Blog    

Troy Tulowitzki has turned down the USC baseball job, which places the job search back to square one.

Tulowitzki is the second coach to turn down the job following UC Santa Barbara coach Andrew Checketts.

D1Baseball reports Tulowitzki will not return to Texas as an assistant coach but will do consulting for a year before seeking a head-coaching job. That doesn’t sound like he loved what he heard from USC.

As I’ve said, there are numerous obstacles at a private school like USC and it’s not clear USC is willing to devote resources to baseball like it has thrown at football the past few seasons.

So where do things stand now?

Grand Canyon coach Andy Stankiewicz is available but USC has not contacted him yet. Long Beach State coach Eric Valenzuela is a natural candidate.

Time for USC to google some more names.

https://insideusc.blog/2022/06/26/sunday-buzz-troy-tulowitzki-turns-down-usc/

I would have thought Checketts would take that job since he didn't get OSU a few years ago and Canham is going nowhere soon.  

I wonder what his endgame is? He apparently wasn't interested in the UDub job.  I wonder if he even makes enough money to live in Santa Barbara?

Edited by Beau Vine

13 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I would have thought Checketts would take that job since he didn't get OSU a few years ago and Canham is going nowhere soon.  

I wonder what his endgame is? He apparently wasn't interested in the UDub job.  I wonder if he even makes enough money to live in Santa Barbara?

https://trojandailyblog.com/will-andrew-checketts-see-the-light-at-usc/ 

Said Family likes the SB area.    My guess is USC does not want to fund assistant salaries and baseball specific training facilities.    UCSB is planning on upgrades if they can secure funding.    

On 6/27/2022 at 10:02 PM, torre said:

https://trojandailyblog.com/will-andrew-checketts-see-the-light-at-usc/ 

Said Family likes the SB area.    My guess is USC does not want to fund assistant salaries and baseball specific training facilities.    UCSB is planning on upgrades if they can secure funding.    

Curious if/how the move to the B1G that was just announced is going to shape this hire.

10 hours ago, deac_tracy said:

This move really hurts UCLA baseball. USC was on it's deathbed already but UCLA was the #1 overall seed in 2019 and has finished ranked the last 5 years.

We'll see. A whole bunch more money might offset whatever travel issues they have. Besides unlike most Big 10 programs they can play home games in February.

11 minutes ago, torre said:

Japan scored in bottom of 8th to defeat Team USA 1-0.      Must have been a great game,  too bad ESPN does not stream.

Above stream is a paid subscription from the Netherlands. 

So why was it 8 innings? Was it scheduled to be 7 innings?

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

So why was it 8 innings? Was it scheduled to be 7 innings?

Apparently a 7 inning game,  they went extras (see 1st link)   No idea why, Olympic games are 9.   2nd link is USA Twitter to follow games if interested.

https://www.usabaseball.com/news/topic/collegiate/cnt-falls-to-japan-in-extras-1-0-in-honkbalweek-opener

https://twitter.com/usabaseballcnt

http://usabaseball.sidearmsports.com/sidearmstats/collegiate_national_team/media;category=batting 

2-0 win over Cuba today.    Nice win !     Skenes has yet to pitch or play.   Ahuna is playing 2B,  Gonzalez (0le Miss) SS.   Would have been nice to have Ahuna at Texas.

Games end with Netherlands on Tues,   Curacao on Wed.

• 1 month later...