2022 NCAA Baseball News

torre

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh right. Vanderbilt has a meh record this year but have a high RPI because they got their asses kicked by a lot of very good teams.

Exactly. Hey I’m not saying it’s perfect but I prefer it to some jackasses voting for 8 hosts from the SEC and another 8 from the ACC.

ULaLa is up 3-2 on Texas St after 5, with the winner to take on Georgia Southern in the final tomorrow.  ULaLa is at 58 in the rpi so if they manage to win the tournament they would bump someone from the bubble I would imagine.

17 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

We played UCLA and lost to them. Not sure why teams that you have lost to doing well would help your RPI but RPI is ridiculous and makes no sense so maybe it does.

It's a computer rating system. Teams you played winning always helps you (if they're playing a team that wasn't also on your schedule) whether you won or lost vs. them. 

It may be a marginal boost but OSU is really high in RPI and I think the last few top 8 spots are really tight with the teams after that. Every bit helps. 

This is assuming UCLA wouldn't somehow jump us seeding-wise - but I don't think that's remotely possible. 

Edited by ztejas

Just now, WBT said:

ULaLa is up 3-2 on Texas St after 5, with the winner to take on Georgia Southern in the final tomorrow.  ULaLa is at 58 in the rpi so if they manage to win the tournament they would bump someone from the bubble I would imagine.

That would sure suck for West Virginia.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

We played UCLA and lost to them. Not sure why teams that you have lost to doing well would help your RPI but RPI is ridiculous and makes no sense so maybe it does.

Texas lost to UCLA in a sporting event?  I was sure that had never happened (sorry, just in a mood, all negs deserved. Oh, and I was at both of these games).

5C32A6DE-C19A-4515-9B68-252FF3D38239.gif

506D9BF8-E2AA-4ACF-92F8-B71E40DC538C.gif

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2
  • Rage+1 4

NM State and their 200+ RPI is about to get in the tournament by winning the WAC.  They lead ACU 7-1; ACU eliminated #25 GCU earlier in the day.  GCU is down to 51 in RPI, so they probably won't get a bid despite winning the WAC regular season by 4 games.

I would love to ban conference tournaments so shit like this doesn't happen.  

Speaking of some fucktarded bullshit, I present the Atlantic Sun conference, where they use a 3-game, two-bracket round-robin to decide the  4 teams to make the semifinals, which are single elimination.  So this year, Kennesaw went 1-2 in the round-robin, but advanced on a tie-breaker, won the SF, then handed regular season champ Liberty their only loss of the tournament to win the auto-bid.  So the team that went 3-2 won the tournament over the team that went 4-1.  But Fuck Liberty anyways.  It had to be God's will. 

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

NM State and their 200+ RPI is about to get in the tournament by winning the WAC.  They lead ACU 7-1; ACU eliminated #25 GCU earlier in the day.  GCU is down to 51 in RPI, so they probably won't get a bid despite winning the WAC regular season by 4 games.

Eh. I get the sentiment but isn't it kind of fun for the NM State kids? And fun that Cinderellas can play their way in? 

I mean... was GCU going to make any noise anyway? I'm not going to weep for a team #51 in RPI missing the postseason. 

(I don't feel strongly one way or another - just playing devil's advocate)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Doesn't sound like it's going to impact anyone else, so who cares?

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Eh. I get the sentiment but isn't it kind of fun for the NM State kids? And fun that Cinderellas can play their way in? 

I mean... was GCU going to make any noise anyway? I'm not going to weep for a team #51 in RPI missing the postseason. 

(I don't feel strongly one way or another - just playing devil's advocate)

GCU has wins over Oregon State and Stanford, and two wins each over Arizona and Texas Tech, so yeah, they could make some noise.  

Regardless, not sure why you think it's good to throw away 30 conference games anyways.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Doesn't sound like it's going to impact anyone else, so who cares?

Some 1-seed is now going to get to throw a midweek starter against NMSU next Friday, and save their top starters for the next two games, so I'm not sure how you think it doesn't impact anyone else.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Regardless, not sure why you think it's good to throw away 30 conference games anyways.  

Didn't say that. I see both sides of the argument and don't have a strong opinion either way. Sounds like they were on the bubble anyway - unless your argument is the regular season winner should get an autobid?

Just now, ztejas said:

Didn't say that. I see both sides of the argument and don't have a strong opinion either way. Sounds like they were on the bubble anyway - unless your argument is the regular season winner should get an autobid?

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

There would be conferences that would never - or very rarely - get teams to the postseason, though. And you'd wind up with like 17 teams from the SEC and B12 making it. Obviously the current format doesn't get the best 64 teams in, but it's how baseball and basketball are set up. It's a better model for the players despite not resulting in the best postseason product for viewers.