2022 NCAA Baseball News

torre

Wow, Cougar High just took the lead 2-1 over Cal in the bottom of the 8th.  With a runner on 1st and 2 outs, the LF dropped a lazy popup.  The runner on 1st forgot how many outs there were and only made it to 2nd.  The next batter hits a comebacker and the pitcher throws it away down into the RF corner and the two baserunners score.

4 minutes ago, WBT said:

Wow, Cougar High just took the lead 2-1 over Cal in the bottom of the 8th.  With a runner on 1st and 2 outs, the LF dropped a lazy popup.  The runner on 1st forgot how many outs there were and only made it to 2nd.  The next batter hits a comebacker and the pitcher throws it away down into the RF corner and the two baserunners score.

That’s bad baseball

My best friends team Georgia state moved to 1-0. 
After scheduling every single weekend series against SEC and ACC powers along with 4 weekday games against Ga and Ga Tech he has a more sane schedule now (only 7 non conference games against ranked teams - 3 Fla, 2- Ga Tech and 2 UGA). 
He thinks they are going to win 40 and earn an at large regional even if they don’t win their tourney. 
I’m rooting for it and here for the ride. He tried to schedule Texas for me and we weren’t interested but I think he’s going to aggy in a couple years so that will be fun for me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My best friends team Georgia state moved to 1-0. 
After scheduling every single weekend series against SEC and ACC powers along with 4 weekday games against Ga and Ga Tech he has a more sane schedule now (only 7 non conference games against ranked teams - 3 Fla, 2- Ga Tech and 2 UGA). 
He thinks they are going to win 40 and earn an at large regional even if they don’t win their tourney. 
I’m rooting for it and here for the ride. He tried to schedule Texas for me and we weren’t interested but I think he’s going to aggy in a couple years so that will be fun for me. 

Looked him up- seems like a hell of a coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40acredropout said:

Looked him up- seems like a hell of a coach.

He’s a good dude. He’s turning 45 in April, I think he’s probably past the point in time where he’s considered young in the game which makes me feel old. 

I’m so proud of him/happy for him. What a tough tough road to go. It’s super competitive. You practically starve to death when young getting into the game. Deal with tons of politics, tons of paying your dues. Head down. Bust ass and then, even with all that, you have to be really talented and really lucky. 
He might be one of the only D1 coaches to come from NAIA as his previous stop/only prior head coaching experience. He’s one of very few not to play D1 baseball I’m sure ( I personally think if he didn’t do high school in northern Wisconsin he could have played somewhere D1-  but wouldn’t have been a high major guy) so he’s doubly unique. I think (maybe it’s hope) he has one more step to go where he lands a high major (Acc or Sec probably) job if/when he’s successful in the sun belt. If he wins there at GA State he will have done something nobody else has in their history (their only previous trip to the tournament came in 09 and he was very very instrumental in that as the #1 recruiter for that team) and will have well earned any promotion. He thinks it’s 1 really solid season away- making the tournament as something other than a fluke winning in his conference tourney. I think he’s got to do two tourney appearance in a row (or 2 out of 3) or a trip to a super regional but I suppose he should know better than me. I hope he gets his shot and collects his bag. I’m biased, obviously, but I think he deserves it. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s a good dude. He’s turning 45 in April, I think he’s probably past the point in time where he’s considered young in the game which makes me feel old. 

I’m so proud of him/happy for him. What a tough tough road to go. It’s super competitive. You practically starve to death when young getting into the game. Deal with tons of politics, tons of paying your dues. Head down. Bust ass and then, even with all that, you have to be really talented and really lucky. 
He might be one of the only D1 coaches to come from NAIA as his previous stop/only prior head coaching experience. He’s one of very few not to play D1 baseball I’m sure ( I personally think if he didn’t do high school in northern Wisconsin he could have played somewhere D1-  but wouldn’t have been a high major guy) so he’s doubly unique. I think (maybe it’s hope) he has one more step to go where he lands a high major (Acc or Sec probably) job if/when he’s successful in the sun belt. If he wins there at GA State he will have done something nobody else has in their history (their only previous trip to the tournament came in 09 and he was very very instrumental in that as the #1 recruiter for that team) and will have well earned any promotion. He thinks it’s 1 really solid season away- making the tournament as something other than a fluke winning in his conference tourney. I think he’s got to do two tourney appearance in a row (or 2 out of 3) or a trip to a super regional but I suppose he should know better than me. I hope he gets his shot and collects his bag. I’m biased, obviously, but I think he deserves it. 

My wife went to Westmont College in CA, which is a decent NAIA baseball program. They were in Gwinnett's bracket (like a five-team Super Regional, as it works differently in NAIA) in Georgia a couple of times, and then hosted them in Santa Barbara another time. Those Gwinnett teams were always stacked. That school has such an advantage in the NAIA: enrollment size, state funding, lower tuition compared to all these private, liberal arts, Christian schools, etc. I'm assuming they'll go NCAA DII sooner than later. Anyways, that's awesome that he was the coach of those squads. Like you said, he has certainly taken a unique route in comparison to the field. I'm rooting for him! Also, I know you understand how NAIA baseball works, but I figured I'd explain for everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

My wife went to Westmont College in CA, which is a decent NAIA baseball program. They were in Gwinnett's bracket (like a five-team Super Regional, as it works differently in NAIA) in Georgia a couple of times, and then hosted them in Santa Barbara another time. Those Gwinnett teams were always stacked. That school has such an advantage in the NAIA: enrollment size, state funding, lower tuition compared to all these private, liberal arts, Christian schools, etc. I'm assuming they'll go NCAA DII sooner than later. Anyways, that's awesome that he was the coach of those squads. Like you said, he has certainly taken a unique route in comparison to the field. I'm rooting for him! Also, I know you understand how NAIA baseball works, but I figured I'd explain for everyone else.

Yeah- he created that program from nothing, so that’s points on his favor, but enrollment and proximity to Atlanta is a huge advantage and it is something I’ve always wondered how much of a help it really gave him. Still, one year he went like 54-6 or something stupid. And, like I mentioned, he was the lead assistant the only time Ga State made a regional. 
he’s a great recruiter and does pretty well politically (he was on the board  at NAIA and I think about to become president when he moved on to Ga State, and pretty much everyone likes him. 
Also- Ga Stare has always sucked but it’s a 50k student school in Atlanta. As far as the sun belt goes I feel like it should be a sleeping giant (kind of like Gwinnett was) but nobody has cracked the code yet and gone in to bigger and better yet so we shall see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, zlavydra said:

GA State is Atlanta's Cougar High.  It's a downtown commuter school without much "campus life," but it could be successful in certain sports (like baseball) with the right coaching (your pal) and institutional support.

That is exactly what I’ve told everyone who asks about Ga State. It’s a very very very strong parallel to UH. 
they haven’t had UH success in their major sports (post SWC UH as the analog) but I see no reason why with the right coaching and support they can’t reach UH level of successes. Obviously, UH type program if done right can be a springboard to a high major job, which I hope it is for him. Sun Belt is just fine as a baseball conference. coastal Carolina has won it all. USA last year wrecked Miami and Florida’s shit in a regional last year. If he wins 40 he can get an at large bid etc etc. 

3-0 complete with a 4 run comeback from the B7th on yesterday including walking it off in the B9th. So far so good!  

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Hey Wulaw, if you wanna flex your balls, buy us baseball board folk some tickets while you also cover the hotel plans tickets. What do ya say 

Dude- if they come to college station beers tickets and cheering for GA State is on me. If there’s actual interest I’d definitely do a party bus with kegs etc and the like. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Oh shit that’d be awesome minus the aggys and the stupid fucking bubble things they have 

Yeah I figure the general draw would be to mock them, so… they are so worthy of mockery. 
I told him I’d give him 10k if he could put UT on the schedule (that’s how much he thought the trip would set them back over and above what they get from UT as a host and he did try… no such luck. 
it would be the first time I ever cheered for another team over UT. As cool as it would be personally for me- it’s obviously emotionally easier for me if he goes in there and beats aggy.