2022 NCAA Baseball News

torre

1 hour ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

Long ball on their little league field will likely get them back to Omaha but it ain't the best recipe for winning there.

Will it?  They're starting to feel a whole lot like 2021 Arkansas to me.  I guess they probably have more than one pitcher at least.  

Just now, WBT said:

Will it?  They're starting to feel a whole lot like 2021 Arkansas to me.  I guess they probably have more than one pitcher at least.  

They only have two losses in the 2nd week of April.  Nobody's a lock for Omaha, but betting on them is not a bad bet by any stretch. 

My boy beat Georgia Tech today on his 45th birthday to run his record to 23-10. Also atop the sunbelt by a game over Tx state and two over Georgia Southern. I have no idea if they will be able to get an at large, but that’s a pretty decent conference this year for a non power 5 league. 

They were picked to finish 11th pre season in the Sunbelt. It’s hard to describe how happy I am for him right now. It’s like a big time high major job is just sitting there waiting for him. 

Should be top 30 in RPI tomorrow. Go 2-1 this weekend at Georgia Southern and they should be top 25 in RPI. No idea what a sunbelt team has to do to get an invite without winning their conference nor how common it is historically. 

• Hook 'Em 6

10 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My boy beat Georgia Tech today on his 45th birthday to run his record to 23-10. Also atop the sunbelt by a game over Tx state and two over Georgia Southern. I have no idea if they will be able to get an at large, but that’s a pretty decent conference this year for a non power 5 league. 

They were picked to finish 11th pre season in the Sunbelt. It’s hard to describe how happy I am for him right now. It’s like a big time high major job is just sitting there waiting for him. 

Should be top 30 in RPI tomorrow. Go 2-1 this weekend at Georgia Southern and they should be top 25 in RPI. No idea what a sunbelt team has to do to get an invite without winning their conference nor how common it is historically. 

Been fun to keep up with him through your updates- keep them coming.  I recently realized a girl I went to high school with is actually engaged to one of his assistant coaches as well.  Hope they keep it rolling!

32 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Been fun to keep up with him through your updates- keep them coming.  I recently realized a girl I went to high school with is actually engaged to one of his assistant coaches as well.  Hope they keep it rolling!

Which one?  If it’s Niko I like him- he’s a good dude even if he played at OU and Auburn. 

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Panthers are currently 25 in the RPI rankings and have a decent strength of schedule.  I could see them receiving an at-large bid in Athens/Tallahassee/Atlanta/Knoxville (ouch) if they keep it up.  They're only 2-7 in quad one games, however.

42 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Ha, yep.  That's him.

Cool. I hung out with him for 2 or 3 days about a year ago. He really did seem like a good dude.  My friend says he's legit. This is his first D1 job after playing D1, going into the minors, and then working as a grad assistant or something like that at a JC.  

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

Panthers are currently 25 in the RPI rankings and have a decent strength of schedule.  I could see them receiving an at-large bid in Athens/Tallahassee/Atlanta/Knoxville (ouch) if they keep it up.  They're only 2-7 in quad one games, however.

They were only 1-7 until yesterday when they took down Ga Tech (#10)!  They get another one with Georgia of the high major variety, and then 3 with Ga Southern. Maybe TX State will be back in the top 50 by the end of the year when they play them.  

When they lost earlier in the year to Mercer and Kennesaw State I was like Uh Oh- here we go again with them not being any good if they are losing to these midweek shitty teams.  Turns out Mercer and Kennesaw State are both pretty well thought of teams- and both might be better than the Clemson team that they beat like a drum. Also, I was surprised to find out Wofford (tee hee) is actually pretty decent- they took care of them. 

I don't know how they have to do in quad 1 to be realistic chance. They aren't just feasting on weaklings though- they've only played 4 quad 4 games (4 gamer with Villanova at the beginning of the season I believe) and they've done a fair bit of damage in Quad 2 with a really solid record there.  Only 1 bad loss (quad 3 or 4). It's funny they've swept 3 teams that were all pretty good in conference (those teams all have a winning record in conference outside of getting a broom shoved up their ass by the Panthers) and the worst conference team they've played thus far, UL- Monroe- they went 1-2 against.  They beat themselves a lot with both mental and physical errors. 

I will stop now for the moment as I'm probably testing the boards patience with Georgia State Panther talk.  But, if they go down and sweep GA Southern, at GA Southern this weekend, or even if they go 2-1 I'm going to get my hopes up enough to maybe get disappointed.  

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I will stop now for the moment as I'm probably testing the boards patience with Georgia State Panther talk. .  

I was just about to say probably time to start a separate thread. I enjoy following your updates on ga st.  Always fun to root for the little guy to make the tournament have a run. 
the two above were nice updates and additionally details.  More I would be appreciated. 

me being born in that redneck state is also part of my interest but….

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Bumped to say hey to @Wulaw Horn

Yeah. We kicked away the opportunity in game 1- gave them a couple unearned runs and failed to score with 2nd and 3rd and no outs a couple times. Game 2 they kicked our ass. Game 3 they made up a 6 run deficit like it was nothing.

Not great. They are now top 10 in RPI. 
we are 39. 

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah. We kicked away the opportunity in game 1- gave them a couple unearned runs and failed to score with 2nd and 3rd and no outs a couple times. Game 2 they kicked our ass. Game 3 they made up a 6 run deficit like it was nothing.

Not great. They are now top 10 in RPI. 
we are 39. 

https://sunbeltsports.org/standings.aspx?path=baseball

Texas St holding on to 1st place.

Hope the Sun Belt Tournament is on ESPN+.    So much at stake for deserving teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

Longer version.  Batter must have been jawing after rounding second, look at the ump's reaction.

Replay upheld the targeting call, pitcher will have to sit out the first half of the next game.  

"I like the rule change that he now can stay in the dugout with his teammates instead of banished to the locker room." - meathead announcers

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Longer version.  Batter must have been jawing after rounding second, look at the ump's reaction.

Yep, you can tell the umpire was thinking about running him before he even got to the plate. Pitcher took care of it for him. 

Completely agree with the pitcher being ejected, obviously, but based on the full video I don't see him as crazy or needing to be banned. Certainly not expelled. Sometimes a shit talker needs to get the shit knocked out of him. To paraphrase @Brisketexan's favorite defense lawyer reference: "Did this man deserve to have the shit knocked out of him? Yes. Was my client the right man to do it? Yes. You should acquit."

Edit - okay, on second thought I guess he probably has to be suspended, maybe even for the rest of the season. But I still think banning and expulsion are too extreme. 

Edited by Huckleberry

Pitcher got a 4-game suspension and the batter got a 2-game suspension for taunting, so yes there apparently was evidence that the batter was running his mouth.  

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33779754/multiple-players-suspended-junior-college-pitcher-tackles-opponent-hit-homer

The pitcher's suspension seems light to me.  Shit-talking happens all the time.  You deal with it in other ways, e.g., putting one between his shoulder blades the next time he makes a plate appearance, "accidentally" spiking him on a bunt down the first base line, etc.  Running off the pitcher's mound and blasting the shit-talker as he's rounding third is beyond the pale.   I figured the pitcher would be suspended the rest of the season and maybe even kicked off the team.  A 4-game suspension is basically a slap on the wrist.  I'll bet the batter's teammates are probably wishing now that they had beat the shit out of the pitcher when they had the chance. 

Unfortunately, the batter's teammates and some coaches also got suspended for coming off the bench and onto the field.  I understand that there is probably a rule in that conference stating that anyone who comes on the field in that type of situation will be suspended.  But, man, that's tough.  To see your teammate essentially get cold-cocked and sit there and do nothing would be virtually impossible for most kids.  I thought the batter's teammates demonstrated remarkable restraint.  They didn't whale away on the pitcher when they had him down on the ground.  That's probably what I would have done back in my youth.  That conference should either rescind or reduce the discipline to the batter's teammates and coaches or at the very least allow them to serve suspensions in staggered fashion so that the team isn't forced to forfeit games.

Edited by Carl Spackler

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Pitcher got a 4-game suspension and the batter got a 2-game suspension for taunting, so yes there apparently was evidence that the batter was running his mouth.  

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33779754/multiple-players-suspended-junior-college-pitcher-tackles-opponent-hit-homer

The pitcher's suspension seems light to me.  Shit-talking happens all the time.  You deal with it in other ways, e.g., putting one between his shoulder blades the next time he makes a plate appearance, "accidentally" spiking him on a bunt down the first base line, etc.  Running off the pitcher's mound and blasting the shit-talker as he's rounding third is beyond the pale.   I figured the pitcher would be suspended the rest of the season and maybe even kicked off the team.  A 4-game suspension is basically a slap on the wrist.  I'll bet the batter's teammates are probably wishing now that they had beat the shit out of the pitcher when they had the chance. 

Unfortunately, the batter's teammates and some coaches also got suspended for coming off the bench and onto the field.  I understand that there is probably a rule in that conference stating that anyone who comes on the field in that type of situation will be suspended.  But, man, that's tough.  To see your teammate essentially get cold-cocked and sit there and do nothing would be virtually impossible for most kids.  I thought the batter's teammates demonstrated remarkable restraint.  They didn't whale away on the pitcher when they had him down on the ground.  That's probably what I would have done back in my youth.  That conference should either rescind or reduce the discipline to the batter's teammates and coaches or at the very least allow them to serve suspensions in staggered fashion so that the team isn't forced to forfeit games.

Weird that you think a form tackle is beyond the pale because instead the pitcher should throw a baseball 90mph 8 inches from his head.

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Oh, it was a "form" tackle?  Well, that changes everything then.

Call it what you want, that part is irrelevant. What's actually important is that you are saying tackling him was a horrific offense and instead what he should have done is something else that is unquestionably more dangerous and more likely to severely injure and possibly even kill the batter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Call it what you want, that part is irrelevant. What's actually important is that you are saying tackling him was a horrific offense and instead what he should have done is something else that is unquestionably more dangerous and more likely to severely injure and possibly even kill the batter. 

You do realize that players get plunked all the time, right?  Deaths/serious injury are rare considering the sheer number of hit batsmen in organized baseball in any given year.  Any pitcher worth his salt knows how to send a message without going upstairs on the hitter.     

In any event, you seem to be missing the point, which is that blindsiding an opposing player on the field of play for simply running his mouth isn't acceptable --  not even under the nebulous "unwritten rules" of the game.  Plunking the guy the next time he's up is only one of multiple options for the pitcher's team.  If you're queasy about the prospect of plunking the batter as a form of payback, then there are other options.    

Ask yourself how many times you've previously seen what occurred in that game.  I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher do what that pitcher did.  I've seen pitchers bark at the batter as he's rounding the bases.  I've seen pitchers wait near home plate and then confront the batter as he's touching the plate.  But to take a running start from the mound and blindside the guy simply because he took you deep and then ran his mouth a little?  That's pretty much unprecedented (or at least EXTREMELY rare to the point that I'd never heard of it happening previously), which should tell you all you need to know about whether that's anywhere close to being normative behavior inside the lines in organized baseball.  That pitcher is lucky he's only sitting 4 games.    

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Hook 'Em 1

He gone now. 

A Texas junior college pitcher who tackled an opposing batter after a home run is no longer with the team, the school announced Thursday. 

----

Wednesday's game was the first of a four-game series between the two schools. Both teams were ordered to forfeit Wednesday's game, and North Central Texas has forfeited Games 2 and 3 because it did not have enough players to field a team after the suspensions, the conference said.

Game 4 is scheduled for Saturday.

"We are shocked and disappointed at what happened in our game today," Weatherford coach Jeff Lightfoot said after the game. "We do not condone this type of behavior. We have worked hard to build a program with the highest of standards. We are completely embarrassed by this incident, and we apologize to North Central Texas College and the fans of WC baseball. This type of behavior cannot be tolerated."

Edited by shadow_operative2.0

The batter was shit talking and I bet he’d say the pitcher broke some “unwritten rule” before that, and then he’d say that the other guy started it earlier by walking on the grass wrong or something. I love the game of baseball but this unwritten ego shit will always be stupid. If a batter crushes a homer and watches it for a few seconds, congratulate him for a nice hit. If a pitcher gets a big strike out and celebrates, say nice pitch. It is going to happen. Take the motivation to get them next time up. How miserable it must be to always be looking for a sleight instead of just working your ass off in competition.

Edited by 'stache

Tennessee got 3 in the 9th and 2 in the 11th to beat UF 6-4.  The Vols went 4-0 by a score of 44-11 while Vitello was suspended.

WVU scored 10 in the 9th to beat Tech 15-4.

aggy nearly blew an 8-run lead but beat piggy 11-10 to win that series.

TCU beat Okie State 7-6 to win their series.  The roaches are really hot and head to Tallahassee next weekend for a huge RPI series.

Bobcats beat UALR 9-2 for their 9th win in a row to improve to 32-9 and stay undefeated on Sundays this year.

Edited by Beau Vine

On 4/16/2022 at 7:43 PM, chase25 said:

Vitello has to be the biggest hot headed pussy in all of college baseball

I heard an interesting interview several years ago from Leo Durocher.  He was known for being a hotheaded, fiery manager who loved to get nose to nose with umpires and got tossed regularly.  He was also known for kicking dirt on the ump's legs as he was headed back to the showers.  When asked about it years later he said that back in his day, the umpires had to furnish their own uniforms, and the groundskeepers used actual lye for the white lines on the basepaths.  What he was doing was trying to maneuver the ump to a spot while he was yelling so that he could kick lye from the chalk line onto the ump's trousers, where the lye would eat holes in it and then he's have to buy a new pair of pants.   Now THAT is some serious planning ahead.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Baseball America is projecting an extended negative finish to the season for Texas Tech (dropped 7 of their last 9) by giving them a three seed. That's odd, considering they have them at #15 this week. D1 has them at #9, but the RPI has them at... #46. Holy Hell. That's... a discrepancy.

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 21.13.30.png

On 4/24/2022 at 7:39 PM, Beau Vine said:

Tennessee got 3 in the 9th and 2 in the 11th to beat UF 6-4.  The Vols went 4-0 by a score of 44-11 while Vitello was suspended.

WVU scored 10 in the 9th to beat Tech 15-4.

aggy nearly blew an 8-run lead but beat piggy 11-10 to win that series.

TCU beat Okie State 7-6 to win their series.  The roaches are really hot and head to Tallahassee next weekend for a huge RPI series.

Bobcats beat UALR 9-2 for their 9th win in a row to improve to 32-9 and stay undefeated on Sundays this year.

BINK!!