Cowboys vs 49ers: Wild Card Round

Vic Mackey

7 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

It’s kind of crazy to think, but I would prefer the Bucs over the Rams/Cardinals next round if it came to it. With Godwin/Ab gone and Fournette limited that leaves Evans and Gronk. Diggs neutralizes Evans and Brady is very limited. Lattimore for NO always does well against Evans and you see what the Saints were able to do. I know it’s Brady and all but the formula is there to take them out. Of course let’s beat up Jimmy G first. 

I would always prefer to play at home if I can, no matter the opponent. Eagles winning would allow that to happen. Brady is still Brady and finds ways to win, even in his mid 40s. But I do get them being down weapons. I kind of don't take into account what the Saints can do to shut them down because division rivals always play differently. It does not translate a lot to other teams playing them. Like when Brady struggled to win in Miami at times.

The Rams do not scare me much. I'd rather face a Stafford led team at home than a Brady led team on the road. They are nowhere near the juggernaut many thought they would be this season. Stafford has slid way back down to his usual self after his hot start.

Niners have won 7 of their last 9. Going to be a tough game. And I expect a ton of Niners fans in the stands. Due to Cowboy season ticket owners unloading way above face value to offset their season ticket dues.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The Catch is one of my earliest Cowboys memories. Easily the worst one too.

I was born in 84 so obviously did not see this live. For so long, I was under the impression this was the very last play. Until I found out Dallas was actually driving the ball very good after that to win the game until something happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I was born in 84 so obviously did not see this live. For so long, I was under the impression this was the very last play. Until I found out Dallas was actually driving the ball very good after that to win the game until something happened. 

What happened after just made it worse. It’s almost like you could sense it was coming.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I would always prefer to play at home if I can, no matter the opponent. Eagles winning would allow that to happen. Brady is still Brady and finds ways to win, even in his mid 40s. But I do get them being down weapons. I kind of don't take into account what the Saints can do to shut them down because division rivals always play differently. It does not translate a lot to other teams playing them. Like when Brady struggled to win in Miami at times.

The Rams do not scare me much. I'd rather face a Stafford led team at home than a Brady led team on the road. They are nowhere near the juggernaut many thought they would be this season. Stafford has slid way back down to his usual self after his hot start.

Niners have won 7 of their last 9. Going to be a tough game. And I expect a ton of Niners fans in the stands. Due to Cowboy season ticket owners unloading way above face value to offset their season ticket dues.

I would agree that the Rams appear brittle. Stafford wanted to find out if he was truly a elite quarterback, and the answer seems to be "No." He's actually looking more like a late-career Phillip Rivers.

Obviously, SF is going to try to gash us on the ground to keep pressure off of Garappolo. If we let them, it could get tough. If we keep that shit under control, the schizoid G-man is going to have to produce one of his "step up" games for them to have a serious chance. The odds of that for SF are 50-50 at best.

All things considered, I'd give Dallas a slight edge. 

7 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You should be listening to Brad and Babe anyway.

I never listen to the TV guys during a Cowboy game.

I legit cannot stand Brad Sham. His voice combined with his annoying know it all personality and pissy teenage girl attitude are the worst. Then he was the spineless stooge who would ask a softball question to bail Garrett out at press conferences after they shit the bed and Garrett was getting grilled.

I don't understand how he's been in that job for so long. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 8:50 PM, Jive Turkey said:

I’m sticking with Saturday night. Like the Seattle game a few years back. Seems like the only way to explain flexing us to last night. 

Lol that Seattle game was 15 years ago. 15 years. Wow. 

23 hours ago, dcar00 said:

huge upside to playing the Niners is not having to hear about coach bro and the midget's record in ATT Stadium for a week plus the entire game.

Bigger upside is we here in DFW get to hear the Crazy Prospector talking about the big ol’ bear and Dana Stubblefield. 

12 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Thought you were talking about Romo botched hold. My bad. 

I believe right before that FG, there was a terrible spot that would have been a 1st goal for Dallas instead it was 3rd down and then had to settle for a FG (attempt). That Dallas team was going nowhere even if they somehow beat Seattle. That team was very up and down and unpolished. That was Parcells last game as HC here and then Wade took over the next season.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I believe right before that FG, there was a terrible spot that would have been a 1st goal for Dallas instead it was 3rd down and then had to settle for a FG (attempt). That Dallas team was going nowhere even if they somehow beat Seattle. That team was very up and down and unpolished. That was Parcells last game as HC here and then Wade took over the next season.

Should never have occurred if Parcell hadn't been playing for a field goal instead of pushing it into the end zone. Horrible game management.

12 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I just can't picture Garoppolo making enough great plays to advance the 49ers.

What if he doesn't need to? If they out physical us up front and dominate in the run game, it could be another Rams playoff game where they smoked us on the ground and Goff was not asked to do much. Dallas needs to get into a position to force their hand to make Jimmy G have to take chances. He will for sure give you great opportunities to pick him off. We absolutely can not get off to a piss poor start on offense with a ton of 3 and outs and penalties.

30 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

What if he doesn't need to? If they out physical us up front and dominate in the run game, it could be another Rams playoff game where they smoked us on the ground and Goff was not asked to do much. Dallas needs to get into a position to force their hand to make Jimmy G have to take chances. He will for sure give you great opportunities to pick him off. We absolutely can not get off to a piss poor start on offense with a ton of 3 and outs and penalties.

I think my mistake was assuming Cowboys coaching/playing competency compared to Garorropolo's predilection for disastrous play.

Heck, I have to hope for a miracle for the Steelers to just not get blown out this coming weekend.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

The Catch is one of my earliest Cowboys memories. Easily the worst one too.

Me too, I was six years old and had learned to love the Cowboys that season. I had gotten a bunch of Cowboys stuff for Christmas that year and was pumped. Some dumbass kid invited me to a birthday party at McDonald's during the game and my mom made me go. I set up all my Cowboys stuff on the couch to watch the game for me. We heard the catch on the radio driving home from the party and I got home to find some of my stuff had been knocked off the couch by the dog. I blamed myself. It was traumatic. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

My first disappointment with Dallas was the 1994 NFC championship game. Got down 21-0 before you could even get settled in and SF did enough to hold off Dallas. .

And yes, it was pass interference on Deion...

I was just trying to remember what year that game was. Holy fuck, '94? I'm old.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Grande Mart said:

Me too, I was six years old and had learned to love the Cowboys that season. I had gotten a bunch of Cowboys stuff for Christmas that year and was pumped. Some dumbass kid invited me to a birthday party at McDonald's during the game and my mom made me go. I set up all my Cowboys stuff on the couch to watch the game for me. We heard the catch on the radio driving home from the party and I got home to find some of my stuff had been knocked off the couch by the dog. I blamed myself. It was traumatic. 

I always hated McDonald’s birthday parties. Ya Don’t see those anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, DougO said:

The sack/fumble by Danny White on the would-be winning drive is worse.

While sorta accurate it was the Catch that set this into motion. I was very young but I could sense that fumble by White coming up was almost inevitable. Because the Catch should not have happened in the first place. 

It was like the fumbled punt by Craig curry in the 1984 cotton bowl, which I had front row upper deck cotton bowl seats to witness. It set into motion a decline that took years to recover from. Less so for the cowboys than the horns. 

My younger years as a cowboys and horns fan were full of trauma. 

17 minutes ago, Drew said:

Just stop the run. That’s it. If you do that Jimmy will make mistakes. If you can’t this will be the Rams playoff game All over again where he only needs to make a single play.

Pretty much. Goff and Jimmy G are similar QBs. Not that talented but have a great staff and supporting cast/defense/run game that hides their weaknesses. Both have been to and lost a Super Bowl. Rams have already did away with Goff and the Niners have already drafted Jimmy G's replacement this past draft. They are not satisfied with him.

And even how bad that Rams game got, it was a one possession game late and Dallas had some chances but offense and defense failed. 

Just like there were a lot of Dallas fans in LA that night, there will be a lot of SF fans here. SF is going to be looking to bully us up front and pound us into submission. 

1 hour ago, Grande Mart said:

You FUCKER.

• Haha 3

On 1/10/2022 at 6:04 PM, Vic Mackey said:

It’s Jerry world half the fans will be 49’er fans….   Home field advantage in Dallas doesn’t mean much, any team that travels good sounds like a home team when they play in Dallas.  When Chicago plays there with a terrible record it sounds Ike a home game for them….  The Chicago home fans actually amaze me, terrible record down by 14 a few weeks ago and stadium was loud as fuck with 3 min left still.  

Edited by Hook1997

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

It’s Jerry world half the fans will be 49’er fans….   Home field advantage in Dallas doesn’t mean much, any team that travels good sounds like a home team when they play in Dallas.  

I do not disagree with that. But Dallas offense seems to play a little better at home than on the road this season. And the last 10-12 years, Dallas is 3-1 at home in the playoffs. Not a big sample size and yes, many of those older games don't matter anymore. But even if the opposing team's fans make a big showing, give me the home game.

And if we played Arizona or the Rams next week, those fans are not taking over this stadium. Especially Arizona. There isn't enough of them. SF has a huge fanbase and always has. Those other 2 teams don't even come close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

It’s Jerry world half the fans will be 49’er fans….   Home field advantage in Dallas doesn’t mean much, any team that travels good sounds like a home team when they play in Dallas.  When Chicago plays there with a terrible record it sounds Ike a home game for them….  The Chicago home fans actually amaze me, terrible record down by 14 a few weeks ago and stadium was loud as fuck with 3 min left still.  

Except it won’t be.  Not for a playoff game.  

On 1/10/2022 at 8:58 PM, Porterhouse said:

Lol that Seattle game was 15 years ago. 15 years. Wow. 

The one you are thinking of was Romo's first year where he fumbled the snap on the game winning field goal. Then we also played Seattle again a couple of years ago in Dallas and beat them on a Saturday night. 

What I remember about that first game was that someone had started a satirical Drew Bledsoe blog earlier in the season called "Tony Homo" and he was live blogging the game when that happened. I thought it was pretty funny at the time. 

Looks like the blog is still up 15 years later and he has made a couple of sporadic posts over the years. It definitely would have been a good twitter parody account, just a few years early. 

https://tonyhomo.blogspot.com

My first real solid game memory of the Cowboys was the Ice Bowl, so disappointment with them is lifelong. The Ice Bowl was the 2nd year in a row of failure because of the similar collapse the previous season in the NFL champ game. (Imagine with those two wins Dallas would have been in the first two Super Bowls. )

Super Bowl V with the ridiculous no show against the Colts. The Catch game ended my fandom for a while; I was done with Landry and the flex and Danny White. I didn’t come back until Jerry bought the team and Jimmy came in. Bought season tix and kept until we left DFW in 95.

We have the five rings but there’s over 60 years of heartache and disappointment and pissedoffedness. This team feels like a Danny White team; full of talent that underachieves.

So are these dumbasses avoiding crowds and parties yet? I'm dreading this week's covid list. I assume some of last week's list was manufactured to keep them out of a game that had some stakes but nothing major (and we won luckily and moved up a spot). I'd be fine with an NFC title game appearance. Anything less is indeed "same 'ol Cowboys."