Best spots to eat near the Domain

Chewbacca

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Going to be out there for a few days in a couple of weeks.  Where should we eat?  How far away is Uchi in terms of drive time?

Uchi is in South Austin so it's pretty far.

Uchiko is closer, on North Lamar, and is delicious.  Same owners and both are excellent restaurants.

Edited by utee94

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Going to be out there for a few days in a couple of weeks.  Where should we eat?  How far away is Uchi in terms of drive time?

In general though, anything in particular you're looking for?  Any style you prefer?  As I recall, you live in Colorado?  Are you looking for Texas things, or just good food?

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

In general though, anything in particular you're looking for?  Any style you prefer?  As I recall, you live in Colorado?  Are you looking for Texas things, or just good food?

Just looking for good food.  Looking for dinner for 3 nights.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Just looking for good food.  Looking for dinner for 3 nights.

Cool.  Uchiko isn't close but it's not crazy-far either.  And it's really good.  Traffic through town will suck but that's true of going anywhere in Austin, especially in rush hour.  It's about 10 miles so you could probably count on 25 minutes or so to get there.

I really like Andiamo for Italian and it's nearby.  It's pretty pricey and it's located in a bit of a run-down strip mall on a run-down corner, but the food has been excellent every time I've been.  A lot of Austinites consider it to  be a bit of a hidden gem.

And there are several breweries nearby if you're into that.  Not sure what their indoor taproom situation looks like with Omicron spreading right now, but Celis Brewery, Austin Beerworks, Oskar Blues, Circle Brewing, Adelbert's, 4th Tap, and Hopsquad are all right there in the area.  Some of them have food trucks, some might not.

• Hook 'Em 1

Andiamo would be my first call.

Manuel's on Jollyville Road is pretty decent "interior" Mexican food, but I'm not sure if it's really any better than Gloria's right in The Domain.  Someone else can weigh in there.

Stiles Switch on Lamar isn't too far away for pretty good 'Que.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Andiamo would be my first call.

Manuel's on Jollyville Road is pretty decent "interior" Mexican food, but I'm not sure if it's really any better than Gloria's right in The Domain.  Someone else can weigh in there.

Stiles Switch on Lamar isn't too far away for pretty good 'Que.

Agree, I like Gloria's as well as or better than Manuel's, and it also has the Salvadoran dishes and influence.  I know it's a "chain" but it's really good, and a cool space.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, utee94 said:

Agree, I like Gloria's as well as or better than Manuel's, and it also has the Salvadoran dishes and influence.  I know it's a "chain" but it's really good, and a cool space.

Gagreed. It started in Dallas and I frequented the OG Gloria’s during my time there, so I have a fondness for the place.

If you want to venture out for fine dining but stay on the northern side of the river, I second the Barley Swine recommendation. Foreign & Domestic is also good and in a really cool neighborhood pocket just north of Hyde Park. Grab a pre or post-dinner cocktail at Drink.Well across the street.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh. another really excellent Japanese sushi/small plate place in North Austin, is Soto.  It's another odd spot in a generic strip mall in suburbia, but the food is well worth it.  It's a bit north of the domain, as opposed to heading south into Austin proper, like many of the other suggestions.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, utee94 said:

And there are several breweries nearby if you're into that.  Not sure what their indoor taproom situation looks like with Omicron spreading right now, but Celis Brewery, Austin Beerworks, Oskar Blues, Circle Brewing, Adelbert's, 4th Tap, and Hopsquad are all right there in the area.  Some of them have food trucks, some might not.

Hopsquad is a great brewery across the street from Q2 and would be perfect if the weather is nice. Also, Brass Tap is in the Domain and has a really good beer selection.

i take it you have no ides?

in addition to those suggestions above i'll throw in Flower Child (on Rock Rose in the Domain).  it's a chain and it can get pricey but i like their food.  it's a hippy type place with good vegan options but despite that i enjoy the food.  counter service so you can be however quick you want to be.  

North is another suggestion - italian, right in the domain on domain blvd.  safest to make a reservation.

also in the domain, Perry's steakhouse is also in the domain if you're feeling that.  Whole Foods has a good spread if you ever get hungry during the day and don't want to sit down.  shake shack is another option.  

if you want more suggestions (quick eats, chinese, etc) lmk.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

isnt sway still there?  i like the idea of circle brewing with huckleberry food truck onsite.  not technically the domain, but less than a mile away.

also, i thought roaring fork on stonelake and manuels at the arboretum both closed.  no?

sway's permanently closed.  RF and manuels are both open.

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i take it you have no ides?

in addition to those suggestions above i'll throw in Flower Child (on Rock Rose in the Domain).  it's a chain and it can get pricey but i like their food.  it's a hippy type place with good vegan options but despite that i enjoy the food.  counter service so you can be however quick you want to be.  

North is another suggestion - italian, right in the domain on domain blvd.  safest to make a reservation.

also in the domain, Perry's steakhouse is also in the domain if you're feeling that.  Whole Foods has a good spread if you ever get hungry during the day and don't want to sit down.  shake shack is another option.  

if you want more suggestions (quick eats, chinese, etc) lmk.

North is pretty solid Italian food for a chain.  I still go there a couple times a year.

But if you want something better and more Austin, then Andiamo (as utee mentioned), Asti in Hyde Park, or Olive and June in Rosedale.  Again, there's also great Italian downtown and south of the river, but giving recommendations that entail much less of a hike.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

But if you want something better and more Austin, then Andiamo (as utee mentioned), Asti in Hyde Park, or Olive and June in Rosedale.  Again, there's also great Italian downtown and south of the river, but giving recommendations that entail much less of a hike.

Also, Siena at 360 and 2222.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

North is pretty solid Italian food for a chain.  I still go there a couple times a year.

Is Andiamo good Italian food for Texas, or good Italian food, period?  There's a huge difference (no, I'm not Italian).

How is Culinary Dropout?  I ate there 3-4 years ago at the original in Scottsdale and it was great.  Don't know if the quality has carried over to new locations, though.
Eh it's ok for what it is.
Is Andiamo good Italian food for Texas, or good Italian food, period?  There's a huge difference (no, I'm not Italian).
It's good period.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

It's good period.

Yup it's legitimately good.  To be clear, it's Italy-Italian, not Italian-American.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

That's what I want.  I've found there is a world of difference between a truly special Italian place and one that is good.

I mean, if you already have such a low opinion of Italian food in Texas, then I'm not sure you should bother getting Italian food in Texas, know what I mean?  There are plenty of other options.  

But Andiamo is good Italian food.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

That's what I want.  I've found there is a world of difference between a truly special Italian place and one that is good.

I think Andiamo and Sienna both fit in the truly special places category.  Of these two, Andiamo has less atmosphere, but it is closer to The Domain.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I mean, if you already have such a low opinion of Italian food in Texas, then I'm not sure you should bother getting Italian food in Texas, know what I mean?  There are plenty of other options.  

But Andiamo is good Italian food.

I don't have a low opinion of anything.  Just trying to figure out where to eat.  Their menu looks great.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

It's way the hell better than North, that's for sure.  Last time I ate at North, which was maybe 3 months ago, it was very disappointing.

If you want a good coffee / espresso you should go to Turnstile at Burnet near Rutland (very close to the Domain, near the Austin FC stadium).

I know the owner, but I don’t get any discounts or anything. He’s from Seattle originally and IMHO their espresso drinks are some of the best in Town due to his background prior to coming to Texas. 

They also serve beer and cocktails later in the day; and have a burger stand Tuesday - Saturday evenings with very good burgers.  

Its not fine dining but it’s a good option for a coffee in the morning or a drink and burger in the afternoon/evening if you don’t want to go far and get dressed up. 

https://www.turnstilebrews.com

• Hook 'Em 1

We've got Andiamo and Uchiko booked.  Need a steakhouse.  Is Perry's the best option out that direction?  I've never been to the one in Denver but have heard good things.  And maybe good Tex-Mex place?  I've got 4 nights, not 3.

Edited by Chewbacca

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Chuy's on North Lamar is relatively close and is a popular Tex-Mex place in Austin.

My favorite Tex-Mex is Enchiladas y Mas on Anderson Lane which is a bit further but not as far as Uchiko.  

How many people are you dining with?

I do like Chuy's, but we have one in Denver that I regularly go to.  Might try Enchiladas y Mas.  We will have 5 on steakhouse and Tex Mex nights.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

I do like Chuy's, but we have one in Denver that I regularly go to.  Might try Enchiladas y Mas.  We will have 5 on steakhouse and Tex Mex nights.

Enchiladas y Mas is a total dive, no reservations and there's usually at least some wait after 5 or 5:30 on pretty much any night these days, but it's great. 

• Hook 'Em 2