RIP Sharon Shipley

Dennis Taylor

25 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

This is terrible news.  Prayers for the Shipley clan.  I see she left a ‘treatment’ facility today.  

Updated: 5:01 PM CST January 10, 2022

Body found in Kirby Lake identified

ABILENE, Texas — The Taylor County Sheriff's Office was looking for a woman who voluntarily left a treatment facility and was last seen at the lake, where a body was found.

UPDATE: The body found in Kirby Lake Monday has been identified as Sharon Shipley, according to the Abilene Police Department.

On Monday morning, APD officers responded to Kirby Lake West to help search for a missing person.  After an extensive search, Shipley's body was recovered from the lake by Texas Parks & Wildlife game wardens.

Notification of next of kin was made on scene.  A death investigation will be completed and Shipley's body will be sent for autopsy.

ORIGINAL STORY: Law enforcement officers found a body in Kirby Lake during a search Monday for a woman who was last seen there. 

According to a release from the Taylor County Sheriff’s Office, it received a report a woman named Sharon Shipley voluntarily left a treatment facility in Taylor County and was missing.

The TCSO's investigation showed the woman was last seen at Kirby Lake.

Shipley, at this time, is still missing, according to the release. She is 55-years-old, white, 5’5”, 112 pounds, and has brown hair and brown eyes.

If anyone has information as to her whereabouts, contact the Taylor County Sheriff’s Office at 325-674-1300.

There has been no confirmation as to the identity of the body found at the lake, as of 4:45 p.m. Monday. 

The Abilene Police Department was at the scene to assist the TCSO.

Just now, Crapinon said:

Thoughts and prayers for the Shipley's. I've seen Colt's mom around town but didn't realize the Shipley's lived around here.

Little known fact:  their husbands and sons were college roommates.

Seriously, though, that is terrible news for her family, RIP.

• Like 1

Wait a second. So, she voluntarily left a treatment center.  And, within hours is found dead.

It makes me wonder what in the blue hell was going on at that treatment center. Could they reasonably have suspected that she had suicidal tendencies before she left? And if not, why not.

Yes, she was an adult. But, with this tragedy happening a few, mere hours after she left, I can't help but wonder if that treatment center was up to speed on her current condition and if so, if they knew the steps the legal system afforded them to protect her for her own safety.

There's more here to the story boys.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Wait a second. So, she voluntarily left a treatment center.  And, within hours is found dead.
It makes me wonder what in the blue hell was going on at that treatment center. Could they reasonably have suspected that she had suicidal tendencies before she left? And if not, why not.
Yes, she was an adult. But, with this tragedy happening a few, mere hours after she left, I can't help but wonder if that treatment center was up to speed on her current condition and if so, if they knew the steps the legal system afforded them to protect her for her own safety.

Username checks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Lidig8r said:

good grief. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

If you have ever grieved the loss of a loved one, there is not anything good about it.  Terrible deal. RIP.

I have grieved. Recently, even. It seems that Mrs Shipley was very sick and her passing is incredibly tragic. His post was ridiculous. 

Lidig8r has particular experience with mental health issues and treatment centers, especially.

It could have been any number of types of treatment center, mental health broadly, substance abuse, eating disorder.  People sign out of substance abuse treatment against medical advice pretty routinely, and usually without expressing suicidal ideation sufficient to permit a temporary psych hold.  Usually, in fact, they're pretty defiant and anything but:  "this is bullshit," "I don't need this," with the unexpressed thought that "I wanna go get fucked up."

But, a person struggling with substance abuse, in the neverland between continuing to drink/use and what seems to be an unattainable program of sobriety and recovery, can flip to suicidal pretty quick, especially if they leave treatment and go on a bender.  Or, the bender itself could be life-threatening.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 5