Texas Speed Traps

tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

Los Fresnos - Hwy 100 on the way to Padre

Raises hand. State Trooper in Port Isabel. First day of the new school year and I didn't see the sign above the road for school zone. Got me doing 35 in a 25 school zone. Thankfully he didn't put that it was a school zone on the ticket.

But the process of actually taking care of the ticket? Holy shit. You'd think in this day and age you could take care of things online. Nope. Phone calls, paper trail, etc. PITA.

Diboll and their fucked up cameras can rot in hell.

Estelline and their $60k cop car always makes me laugh.  There is but one purpose for that sumbeech, and it could be achieved in a Ford Focus.

18 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Riesel

/thread

Yup

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/investigations/article/speed-trap-tx-where-cops-pulled-over-most-drivers-16395228.php

In Riesel, 87 percent of motorists who were stopped in 2020 drove away with a ticket. These tickets made up over 50 percent of the town’s general fund.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Odem, Tx - fuck you, you piece of shit little shit hole town. I hope you choke on my $350 bucks you worthless mother fuckers. Also, your gasoline is always over priced 

Refugio, Tx - the state should permanently shut down your corrupt little police force. I hope all your crooked cops die of flaming aids. 

one day, both cities will have an over pass and you can die off 

So I drive thru both on a regular basis from sept thru March.   Fuck Odem, and there probably will be an over pass there at some point as Driscoll and Bishop and getting them now.  But Refugio?  Love that little town.  And yeah, you got to slow your roll, ESPECIALLY if traveling North. 

Eta: watch you ass in Driscoll. Always police there stopping people for speeding. Always. 

Edited by fattyflattie

3 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Caldwell, Texas.  39 in a 35.  Gigantic pain in the ass just to take care of the damn thing.  Stupid redneck fucks.

I got one in Auburn, NE before the game when Ricky devoured their souls.  Mailed a check a couple of weeks later and confirmed that it cleared a few weeks later.  A couple of years after that I got pulled over in Austin and was informed there was  a warrant for my arrest in NE.  I faxed them a copy of the cancelled check.  Not good enough, their records indicate it was not paid.  Took about 2 months to clear it up.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

the sequential small town Texas driving experience....

Official MUTCD Speed Limit 60 Traffic Sign by Traffic Cones For Less

Official MUTCD Speed Limit 50 Traffic Sign by Traffic Cones For Less

Speed Limit 45 MPH Engineer Grade Reflective Aluminum Sign, 80 mil, 24"x18"

Official MUTCD Speed Limit 40 Traffic Sign by Traffic Cones For Less

30 MPH Speed Limit Sign, 12 x 18", .063" Engineering Grade Reflective Aluminum

Except that now a lot of them are 75, 50, 40, 30.   Can't coast into that 50 zone by just letting off the gas. 

Hearne and Calvert are both pretty bad.  Going from Mingus to PK is always an adventure.  Lorena can be a bitch on I-35.  

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Diboll and their fucked up cameras can rot in hell.

Estelline and their $60k cop car always makes me laugh.  There is but one purpose for that sumbeech, and it could be achieved in a Ford Focus.

Gotta spend that civil asset forfeiture money somewhere.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Beat me to it. I think Estelline was the reason why municipalities now have a cap on ticket revenue.

• Hook 'Em 1

Remember when 60 minutes ran a story about the Selma-Schertz speed trap on 35. I think the feds basically shut it down by saying that local municipalities couldn’t write tickets on interstate highway. Texas Monthly has a story on it too called “The Perfect Speed Trap” if you want to read more about it.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

In Riesel, 87 percent of motorists who were stopped in 2020 drove away with a ticket. These tickets made up over 50 percent of the town’s general fund.

14 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

Remember when 60 minutes ran a story about the Selma-Schertz speed trap on 35. I think the feds basically shut it down by saying that local municipalities couldn’t write tickets on interstate highway. Texas Monthly has a story on it too called “The Perfect Speed Trap” if you want to read more about it.

It's been several years ago, but there was this podunk little town in NE Oklahoma that sat on a highway/turnpike interchange (I think the turnpike ended there).  It had an Indian smoke shop, a really fucking big truck stop, and some 18-wheeler service businesses (probably owned by the truck stop) and I don't think the town had anything else.  There was an overpass and the cops/town setup the speed limit signs to bust you coming off of the overpass.

They were making well over 50% of their town's revenue from that one stop, and it was such a pain in the ass and the signs were setup to fuck you over (you had to brake hard as soon as you saw the signs), that eventually the state legislature did something about it.

I don't know what the legislation was, but it was something about you couldn't fund your town off of fucking speeding tickets or whatever.  it was fairly scandalous.

And if they were doing seizures, it wouldn't surprise me, because there had to be a lot of meth moving through that area (Arkansas, Missouri, and Kansas were't that far away).

I've been in Texas since 1994 and have only gotten two speeding tickets. 

The first was in 1996 in Sarita, on 77 right before you enter the long stretch of nothing that is the King Ranch.  I heard at the time that area was especially fond of collecting ticket revenue. 

The second was 2003 in Alvarado, and that town can go fuck itself.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yup

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/investigations/article/speed-trap-tx-where-cops-pulled-over-most-drivers-16395228.php

Texas has had a speed trap law on the books since 1975.  It applies to towns with a population under 5,000.  If traffic fines make up over 30% of the towns general revenue then any amount over 30% has to be remitted to the state.

Giddings used to be pretty bad but hasn't seemed as bad lately.

And I reserve the right to get pissed at speed traps because cops are basically never near school zones while dipshits are flying by at 50 in a 25 during low light conditions while kids are walking to school. Popping people for 54 in a 45 two miles down the road is infuriating because of that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And I reserve the right to get pissed at speed traps because cops are basically never near school zones while dipshits are flying by at 50 in a 25 during low light conditions while kids are walking to school. Popping people for 54 in a 45 two miles down the road is infuriating because of that.

The cops used to be pretty good about this around Highland Park Elementary, sitting right at the bottom of the Hancock Bridge and tagging folks when they first come in sight at the cap of the bridge and don't have time to slow down once they see the cop.  I don't mind those speed traps, especially since there are a lot of kids walking or biking to school in that area.

Franklin, TX....I think they've had the same cop post up outside his house (assuming) in the actual driveway for at least 10 years now.

I have a lake house on Camp Creek Lake. I see that sheriff every time I go up. Sits right past the 60 sign and pulls people into the rest stop. I never speed going into Franklin.
  • Hook 'Em 1