Texas Speed Traps

tx 3 putt

22 hours ago, Cap33 said:

Beat me to it. I think Estelline was the reason why municipalities now have a cap on ticket revenue.

Kendleton, Texas back in the 90s when I was learning to drive was the worst I have ever seen.  I think the cops and judge were skimming and the Feds got involved.  Was ridiculous.  People would drive 5 under there.

Other places that are bad are Diboll, Freer, and Cameron Texas.

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Damn I speed thru there weekly.  Guess I’ll slow it down. 

Got pulled over there many times for 1-2 over in high school. I still drive it about 2-3 under to this day, anywhere between 2611 and the Brazos.  

Kendleton is fine now.  Feds shut them down.  Back in the mid 90s you would see brake lights approaching that town.  If you were not under the speed limit you would get pulled over.

15 hours ago, Bernard said:

Some of y’all don’t even know… speed limit was 55MPH everywhere when I started driving Houston to Austin on the reg in 1987. Every single Houston Longhorn I know got at least one ticket on 71 between Ellinger and Smithville. That stretch was manned nearly 24/7. Nothing but a cash cow. Fucking pigs.

‘And anyone who drove 290 instead of 10/71 is not a Houston Longhorn. 🙂

Bernard

Yup - absolute truth.  LaGrange was brutal.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Man I drive through there every year and haul ass.  Never seen a cop.

I just drove that the weekend before Thanksgiving (feels like that would be a pretty big weekend to nab people traveling) and didn't see any cops.  Actually, I didn't see a single cop car between Denver and Houston on that 2 day drive. 

On 1/11/2022 at 10:53 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Odem, Tx - fuck you, you piece of shit little shit hole town. I hope you choke on my $350 bucks you worthless mother fuckers. Also, your gasoline is always over priced 

Refugio, Tx - the state should permanently shut down your corrupt little police force. I hope all your crooked cops die of flaming aids. 

one day, both cities will have an over pass and you can die off 

Between Kingsville and Rivera on US 77.    Kleberg SO loves to stop anyone going over the speed limit which goes down all the way to 55MPH in Ricardo.     They assume everyone is a drug dealer carrying Benjis in duffle bags.

On 1/11/2022 at 2:37 PM, South Austin said:

I've been in Texas since 1994 and have only gotten two speeding tickets. 

The first was in 1996 in Sarita, on 77 right before you enter the long stretch of nothing that is the King Ranch.  I heard at the time that area was especially fond of collecting ticket revenue. 

The second was 2003 in Alvarado, and that town can go fuck itself.

My second speeding ticket was in that same location in Sarita.

My first was just north of Raymondville where the palm trees became numerous in the medians signaling you were in the RGV.    Gave the DPS plenty of cover themselves especially since their  car of choice back in the late 80's/early 90's was the Mustang which was almost a compact compared to today's Mustang or even the classic ones from the 60's.  

4 hours ago, harold said:

Big Cabin at 44 and 69.  James McMurtry out front should have told you.

A bit further south is the Shawnee bypass where Roscoe tried to miss him but he didn't quite.

Have made the trip 4 times in the past 2 years from AMA to Mizz.  Best I can tell, most folks on that stretch going eastbound are just hauling ass to get out of OK.  85-90mph or you will get run over.  LOL.  I'm down with it, but there wasn't a hint or Roscoe and Enos on any of those trips.

best $5 ever spent is the last toll in OK.

Corrigan, TX.  59 drops from 75 to 55 to 45 to 35 in a matter of a mile and a half going north from Houston to Tyler.  Got busted for hitting 58 in a 55.  Actually laughed at the cop when he starting writing the ticket.
Yep, fuckers.

Will add Point Comfort on SH 35. It's been a speed trap since I was a kid heading to Poc. I got a ticket for not coming to a complete stop one time. I explained to the cop I did. "we consider a complete stop to take two full seconds after you stop. you stopped, but didn't pause." fucker

17 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Yep, fuckers.

Will add Point Comfort on SH 35. It's been a speed trap since I was a kid heading to Poc. I got a ticket for not coming to a complete stop one time. I explained to the cop I did. "we consider a complete stop to take two full seconds after you stop. you stopped, but didn't pause." fucker

I’ve received one of those for rolling a stop sign and it took all of the restraint I had in me to keep from getting arrested.  I saw the fucker hiding behind a brick wall so I exaggerated the stop.  Still got the ticket.  Frisco, TX.  Fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Between Kingsville and Rivera on US 77.    Kleberg SO loves to stop anyone going over the speed limit which goes down all the way to 55MPH in Ricardo.     They assume everyone is a drug dealer carrying Benjis in duffle bags.

All law enforcement south of SA is obsessed with drug / money busts. The grift must live on !!!!!

Mustang Ridge, Manor, Crockett... OK, sure, if we're calling posted speed limits "the law," then those were my "fault."

Though when I went to Mustang Ridge Municipal Court (a trailer) to beg mercy, I still had to pay it, but the people had entered my middle name as my last name. Wonder how long that could have gone unsettled.

Hubbard is actually a cool place to get stopped. Got a mild talking-to instead of a ticket.

On the other hand, if I die and get revived per my request in a robotic spider body, first thing I'll do is clamber up a light pole in Balcones Heights and slash the throat of the red light camera that perches there.

I once got pulled over on Central Expressway heading into Downtown Dallas.  Cop comes to my window, says I was going 10 mph above the speed limit (I didn't dispute that), and asks me where I was going.  I said, "Downtown to my office," to which responded, "Looks like you're going to be late," like he'd been waiting all week to say that.  It was on the tip of my tongue to tell him that it was a Sunday, and I wasn't going in for work, but just to pick up something I left in my office, so I wasn't going to be late for anything, and you can wipe that shit-eating grin off your face, Office Tackleberry!

But I didn't say anything, and let him enjoy his zinger.  He goes to his car for a few minutes, and comes back with a warning, no ticket. 

So when you're dealing with the police, it can pay to keep your mouth shut.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

I'm going through my list, and I don't see where anyone has mentioned the Twin Cities (Tahoka/O'Donnell). I'm going to go ahead and add them just to be safe.

We're almost there, guys! 97.4% of Texas cities and towns named!

I'm actually surprised nobody has mentioned Hermleigh/ Roscoe, especially on big Tech football or student travel weekends.

Dan Blocker's lil municipality in O'Donnell is well funded for sure.

19 hours ago, South Austin said:

I once got pulled over on Central Expressway heading into Downtown Dallas.  Cop comes to my window, says I was going 10 mph above the speed limit (I didn't dispute that), and asks me where I was going.  I said, "Downtown to my office," to which responded, "Looks like you're going to be late," like he'd been waiting all week to say that.  It was on the tip of my tongue to tell him that it was a Sunday, and I wasn't going in for work, but just to pick up something I left in my office, so I wasn't going to be late for anything, and you can wipe that shit-eating grin off your face, Office Tackleberry!

But I didn't say anything, and let him enjoy his zinger.  He goes to his car for a few minutes, and comes back with a warning, no ticket. 

So when you're dealing with the police, it can pay to keep your mouth shut.

I've been pulled over at least 4 times by this officer.  IIRC he ticketed me twice over a decade.

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/life/vip/article/Beaumont-s-toughest-cop-may-have-the-city-s-13409727.php

Last time he actually asked me "did I give you a ticket or warning last time?" I laughed, said I can't remember, and referenced a non-profit charity project of his, he turned his body cam off, I got out of the car, and we just bullshitted for about 10 minutes.

My last traffic stop was pulling into Huntington on 69, I was driving home from a wedding in central Oklahoma and was admittedly tired and irritable and basically on autopilot.  Smarted off to this young, chubby, slovenly cop "what little shithole town is this?  I rarely drive this route and I'll probably never even drive through here again" and immediately felt bad after seeing the hurt look on his face - he rolled his eyes, shrugged, and wrote the ticket.  I think his orders were to sit at the light near Brookshire brothers and collect money for the city. Took 30 days probation and paid it.

Time before that was Kountze which I drive through frequently. I'm very aware of the speed limit changes and I wasn't speeding - but the guy in front of me was. 11:30 at night and the cop pulled me over instead.  Very young cocky cop, I told him exactly what he had done and he ticketed me anyway. He gives me the spiel about who to contact to plead or pay and I laughed and said nope, my first call is to my LEO relative (FIL) whose house I just left, he's friends with your chief, this isn't even going into your system."

narrator: it didn't.

I have a lead foot, average about a ticket a year, but most places now are happy as hell to just put you on probation, i.e. don't come zooming down my highway for 90 days, pay the fine, and we won't even make you take defensive driving.

On 1/11/2022 at 3:42 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Might be near Henrietta, but not actually the town itself--there's a bitty place near there where you can fly down this hill and there's a stoplight near the bottom. Bigger trap was Atoka and some local must've got wrong side of the law and took revenge by spray painting "SPEED TRAP AHEAD" on some plywood and putting on the barb wire fence near the road.

Reisel was where we had the harrowing encounter of the little old lady pulling out of the gas station and heading northbound in the southbound straight toward us.

There is a “speed trap ahead” sign going into Covington from Hillsboro on private land. All the small towns south of DFW are speed traps. Grandview, Covington, Alvarado, Keene, Joshua, and Rio Vista. That’s six towns within 25 miles of each other. 
In Lipan, west of Granbury, the officers  take shifts sitting across from town hall. They are there 100% of the time except on holidays. 
My family has bought radar detectors for Christmas over several years. I still have an older V1 that needs to be updated CHIEF Jr. and Mrs. CHIEF run Uniden R7s. 

CHIEF

22 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I'm going through my list, and I don't see where anyone has mentioned the Twin Cities (Tahoka/O'Donnell). I'm going to go ahead and add them just to be safe.

We're almost there, guys! 97.4% of Texas cities and towns named!

Tahoka definitely had the reputation in the early 90s when I was getting my undergrad. Funny thing is I never got a ticket there but got popped twice outside of fucking Lamesa.

On 1/11/2022 at 7:39 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Raises hand. State Trooper in Port Isabel. First day of the new school year and I didn't see the sign above the road for school zone. Got me doing 35 in a 25 school zone. Thankfully he didn't put that it was a school zone on the ticket.

But the process of actually taking care of the ticket? Holy shit. You'd think in this day and age you could take care of things online. Nope. Phone calls, paper trail, etc. PITA.

Los Fresnos is the most famous stop in the valley.  This one actually doesn’t get under my skin that much.  Highway 100 runs straight through town, past schools and businesses and intersections.  There’s plenty of slowdown time both directions. I don’t mind doing 35 in the middle of downtown.

It’s not some cop sitting out under a tree near a bypass.  They get a lot of traffic on the way to the beach and a lot of drunks coming back.  Everyone from the valley knows to just slow down when you go through town.

19 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Hamilton, TX

When I lived in Austin I'd drive from there up to Jacksboro to the family ranch a couple times a year. Hamilton was the worst spot. Fuckin DPS on both sides of town with the steep grades of speed decrease. 

466a5c3f2948dd16cf1bfbfeb4e07e58ebfc239a

On 1/11/2022 at 2:14 PM, BottleRocket said:

Remember when 60 minutes ran a story about the Selma-Schertz speed trap on 35. I think the feds basically shut it down by saying that local municipalities couldn’t write tickets on interstate highway. Texas Monthly has a story on it too called “The Perfect Speed Trap” if you want to read more about it.

On 1/12/2022 at 4:56 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Corrigan, TX.  59 drops from 75 to 55 to 45 to 35 in a matter of a mile and a half going north from Houston to Tyler.  Got busted for hitting 58 in a 55.  Actually laughed at the cop when he starting writing the ticket.

Are you crazy? You're lucky you didn't get your ass shot.

But anyway, Corrigan, Dibol, all those little burgs along that stretch of 59.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:06 AM, NorthLoop said:

Hamilton, TX

When I lived in Austin I'd drive from there up to Jacksboro to the family ranch a couple times a year. Hamilton was the worst spot. Fuckin DPS on both sides of town with the steep grades of speed decrease. 

absolutely. coming into town on the north side starting around the sale barn. south side all the way to basically the "outside" of town where the bookstore place / empty factory is on the right hand side

it isn't as bad but Evant used to have folks stationed on their square decently often as it drops to 35 when you go through downtown.

Fairview, just north of Allen.

It's city limits include a small section of northbound 75 and the adjoining frontage road between Stacy Rd and 121 Rayburn Tollway, and they're protecting public safety funding their municipality by writing speeding tickets at least 6 days a week, all day long. 

Burnet, Texas as you head west on 29. You come into town on a big downhill stretch and it goes from 65 to 55 to 45 to 35 in a very short stretch ending right in front of the county jail. Sheriff's vehicles parked in their own parking lot, one of which, a lot of times, has an officer sitting in their car with his radar. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, Hook1997 said:

Seriously no Martindale reference yet?  Worst speed trap in all of Texas, it goes straight from 70 to 35 mph and the tickets support the whole city I think.  

They've quit that bullshit because of the state law.  They didn't change the speed limit signs, but there aren't cops out 24/7.