AFCON 2022

Jive Turkey

Algeria and Riyad Mahrez are looking to repeat.

Right now, Nigeria is up 1-0 on Mo Salah and the Pharaohs.  Leicester's Iheanacho with a goal for the Super Eagles.

The games are being shown on BeIn Sports.  So I went to BeIn Sports Connect, and you can log on with a YouTube TV account.  Apparently BeIn Sports is part of the sports package, which I do not subscribe to.  But I was still able to log on, so I'm watching the game.  Also, BeIn Sports is available in Dallas with an antenna.  It's channel 55-6.

Update:  BeIn Sports Xtra is available for free on several streaming services, including YouTube TV.  Sweet.

https://www.beinsportsxtra.com/us/index.html#providers

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Algeria and Riyad Mahrez are looking to repeat.

Right now, Nigeria is up 1-0 on Mo Salah and the Pharaohs.  Leicester's Iheanacho with a goal for the Super Eagles.

The games are being shown on BeIn Sports.  So I went to BeIn Sports Connect, and you can log on with a YouTube TV account.  Apparently BeIn Sports is part of the sports package, which I do not subscribe to.  But I was still able to log on, so I'm watching the game.  Also, BeIn Sports is available in Dallas with an antenna.  It's channel 55-6.

Update:  BeIn Sports Xtra is available for free on several streaming services, including YouTube TV.  Sweet.

https://www.beinsportsxtra.com/us/index.html#providers

FWIW, I also have YouTubeTV w/out the sports package and it's not letting me view it. When I go to YouTubeTV, it's telling me it requires Sports Plus which, I dunno, is Billiards TV worth $10.99/month?

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

smh only in Africa. 

that said, allez L'Elephantes. been a big Côte d'Ivoire fan since the days of Drogba, Kalou, Gervinho, Yaya, Kolo, etc. can't believe they never win the AFCON with that team. 

Um, Cote d'Ivoire won AFCON in 2015. I watched it in an Ivorian restaurant in Harlem and it went to the 22nd PK. Drogba was not on the team but the rest of those dudes were.

1 minute ago, 406W30th said:

Um, Cote d'Ivoire won AFCON in 2015. I watched it in an Ivorian restaurant in Harlem and it went to the 22nd PK. Drogba was not on the team but the rest of those dudes were.

well Drogba is really the main guy i was referencing as having never won the AFCON. i still haven't seen a more loaded African team that the CIV teams from the early 2010's. CIV got boned getting placed in back to back Groups of Death in consecutive WC's. if they don't get paired with Brazil and Portugal in 2010 i think they realistically could have gone to the semis.

Edited by shadow_operative

Comoros is forced to play their left back at GK today after all three of their recognized goalies are out. Two are out injured and one apparently didn't pass Covid protocols, despite testing negative.

https://theathletic.com/news/comoros-keeper-ali-ahamada-out-of-cameroon-match-despite-negative-covid-19-test/SZjLKF5gfIAQ/

Sadio Mané was taken to the hospital for a suspected concussion. He'd continued to play despite a nasty collision, and went on to score a goal before getting subbed off. Senegal has been pretty abysmal and they desperately wanted to avoid an embarrassing loss to Cape Verde, so of course you risk his health in order to keep your best player on the field...

12 hours ago, yoladu said:

sounds like the Final was bleh.

Senegal 0(4) - 0 (2) Egypt

It was actually a lot more entertaining than the semis, though I guess that's not saying much. Mané with an early missed PK, a bunch of late game chances with some amazing saves, and then penalty drama.

Really nice to see Senegal win it for the first time. Such a talented team.