Oppenheimer (Nolan)

Parliament

11 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Tenet is what happens when you make a movie that’s sole point is to have as confusing of a plot line as possible.  He started there and worked backwards.

I saw it half in the bag in a big empty theater.  To say I was impressively confused is an understatement.  I was impressed anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...

Our friend in Santa Fe was an extra during one of the courtroom scenes in this film. I never knew there was that much film production in the area. He gets lots of calls for extra work. He's too busy being retired. Csb

Edit: He also said Robert Downey Jr was very folksy with everyone between takes.

• 4 months later...

This happened a couple of days ago

https://www.energy.gov/articles/secretary-granholm-statement-doe-order-vacating-1954-atomic-energy-commission-decision

Secretary Granholm Statement on DOE Order Vacating 1954 Atomic Energy Commission Decision In the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer

As a successor agency to the Atomic Energy Commission, the Department of Energy has been entrusted with the responsibility to correct the historical record and honor Dr. Oppenheimer’s profound contributions to our national defense and the scientific enterprise at large. Today, I am pleased to announce the Department of Energy has vacated the Atomic Energy Commission’s 1954 decision In the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Parliament said:

Definitely watching this. Thankful the trailer doesn't give much of anything away like it should be. 

Looks like in one scene in it they're working on the demon core or one similar to it. The story of the demon core is pretty interesting, highlighting the hubris of man no matter how intelligent he may be. 

• 4 months later...

I've read several books on the Trinity Project and Oppenheimer and I've repeatedly thought, "Why hasn't anyone made a movie about this?"  

There were numerous people working on the bomb who felt that there was a decent chance that they'd set the atmosphere on fire when were doing the test.  "This is the most important thing to happen in the history of the world" is not a hyperbole line.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I've read several books on the Trinity Project and Oppenheimer and I've repeatedly thought, "Why hasn't anyone made a movie about this?"  

There were numerous people working on the bomb who felt that there was a decent chance that they'd set the atmosphere on fire when were doing the test.  "This is the most important thing to happen in the history of the world" is not a hyperbole line.

This is a great book on the subject

IMG_0780.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, YChang said:

What are the chances we won't be able to hear or understand half of the dialgoue in this movie?!

I absolutely HAD to watch “Peaky Blinders” with subtitles.  I’d have been lost otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I guess you never saw Fat Man and Little Boy with Paul Newman

saw this preview as well as one for MI: Dead Reckoning a couple weeks ago when we saw The Covenant. made me excited about upcoming summer movies for the first time post-covid!

also, saw this today so this hits close to home. 

20230508_111104.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1