Crawfish Season 2022

Storm the Field

Earliest I've ever started this thread, but due to an incredibly warm December, crawfish is available about a month earlier than usual. I usually don't even start looking until Mardi Gras is coming up, but a handful of places in SETX opened up for the season this week and several are teasing about having crawfish any day now.

Crawfish Shack up in Crosby opened on Wednesday. $7.95/lb. Juju's in Fannett opened today. $7.25/lb.

Rose's Seafood down in Kemah got their first sacks of live today. $3.50/lb. Golden Seafood $3.29/lb. 

At this rate, might be able to get some good sized crawfish for a reasonable price by beginning of March. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Earliest I've ever started this thread, but due to an incredibly warm December, crawfish is available about a month earlier than usual. I usually don't even start looking until Mardi Gras is coming up, but a handful of places in SETX opened up for the season this week and several are teasing about having crawfish any day now.

Crawfish Shack up in Crosby opened on Wednesday. $7.95/lb. Juju's in Fannett opened today. $7.25/lb.

Rose's Seafood down in Kemah got their first sacks of live today. $3.50/lb. Golden Seafood $3.29/lb. 

At this rate, might be able to get some good sized crawfish for a reasonable price by beginning of March. 

Head Nod GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't recommend HEB's crawfish unless you live in Midland and have no other options. I looked at how they stored them, and went ahead and bought 5 pounds. Unwise. They tasted fine, even shaded towards pretty spicy, but many were dead when they went in the boil or were too small. I'd say maybe 3.5 pounds of it was edible. 

That’s tough to answer. Are these 10 serious bug eaters or just people casually munching?  I think restaurants usually serve like a pound or 2, plus a potato or two and an ear of corn. I cooked 45 pounds and we had 8 people eat on that, but 5 were serious. The rest just had a plate and moved on to other stuff. We also do a low country boil for people that don’t like crawfish.

I use Zatarains powder.  There are directions on the jar, but we have our own method that comes down to taste and experience. We usually do about a third of a jar on the first batch, that’s mild for the casual eaters. We add oranges to the boil as well. Cook potatoes, garlic, and artichokes first.  When the potatoes are halfway done add corn and sausage. When potatoes are close to done add bugs, green onions, and 2 sticks of butter. Time will depend on your cooker and size of veggies. Once the bugs float, which only takes a few minutes we kill the fire and let them soak for 20.  After that we dump half a jar, and start over. Heat goes up each batch. Final batch we also do a cold soak. After the 20 minute hot soak we drop in half a bag of ice and soak for another 20.  Ideally you would cold soak each batch, but we are lazy and our cooker isn’t massive. Start to finish it’s about an hour and a half of cook time, add whatever it takes to get your cooker up to a boil for the first batch. 

Edited by TXSG8R
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

A little stingy with the veggies.  I would like more than 1/2 an ear of corn.  Keep that in mind when you invite me over for your next boil.

That cooler shot was the last batch, first few were loaded with corn, taters, chokes, garlic, and green onions.

• Hook 'Em 1

That’s tough to answer. Are these 10 serious bug eaters or just people casually munching?  I think restaurants usually serve like a pound or 2, plus a potato or two and an ear of corn. I cooked 45 pounds and we had 8 people eat on that, but 5 were serious. The rest just had a plate and moved on to other stuff. We also do a low country boil for people that don’t like crawfish.

I use Zatarains powder.  There are directions on the jar, but we have our own method that comes down to taste and experience. We usually do about a third of a jar on the first batch, that’s mild for the casual eaters. We add oranges to the boil as well. Cook potatoes, garlic, and artichokes first.  When the potatoes are halfway done add corn and sausage. When potatoes are close to done add bugs, green onions, and 2 sticks of butter. Time will depend on your cooker and size of veggies. Once the bugs float, which only takes a few minutes we kill the fire and let them soak for 20.  After that we dump half a jar, and start over. Heat goes up each batch. Final batch we also do a cold soak. After the 20 minute hot soak we drop in half a bag of ice and soak for another 20.  Ideally you would cold soak each batch, but we are lazy and our cooker isn’t massive. Start to finish it’s about an hour and a half of cook time, add whatever it takes to get your cooker up to a boil for the first batch. 

This is great advice and you gotta know your guests. I have no issues with some leftovers. My general math would be 2 pounds each for average eaters and add two more lbs for each serious eater, plus a half pound of sausage each, and I like a few pounds of jumbo shrimps. I add a ton of potatoes and corn as I like eating them as left overs in hash, mashed, home fries etc.

I’ve never done artichokes but will try that. Hate mushrooms so wouldn’t do that. Haven’t tried oranges as I always do lemons but sounds good. I usually throw in a couple of quartered onions, a bunch of garlic pods. and celery stalks to the boil just for flavor in the broth.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

This is great advice and you gotta know your guests. I have no issues with some leftovers. My general math would be 2 pounds each for average eaters and add two more lbs for each serious eater, plus a half pound of sausage each, and I like a few pounds of jumbo shrimps. I add a ton of potatoes and corn as I like eating them as left overs in hash, mashed, home fries etc.

I’ve never done artichokes but will try that. Hate mushrooms so wouldn’t do that. Haven’t tried oranges as I always do lemons but sounds good. I usually throw in a couple of quartered onions, a bunch of garlic pods. and celery stalks to the boil just for flavor in the broth.

I’m not sure you'd be able to tell the difference between citrus honestly, the acidity just brightens the flavor. We have always done oranges because I saw a guy in Louisiana do it and his bugs tasted great. Never thought about onions or celery, may have to give that a go. We normally do elephant garlic, but apparently that’s another supply chain victim. HEB said they can’t even order them right now, so we went with regular heads. Chop about a half inch off the tips to expose the pods.  They soak up more flavor and they are easier to eat, you just squeeze and they pop right out. I like mushrooms, but I’ve never thought it would go well with the boil flavors. 

My usual group are some serious eaters. Probably half don't bother with corn or potatoes. Our six bags came in at a little over 200 lbs., so between 9-10 lbs. per person. I'd say most fall in the 6-9 lb. range.Then you have my nephew and CHIEF Jr., they will just eat until they are all gone. A five pound bag of potatoes and a dozen ears of corn, and we are good.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to a work function boil last year that was about 15 of us. Guy who made them was the husband of our HR manager and he put some 2 inch carrots in the boil. Carrots are now a new favorite of mine. They were absolutely fantastic. People from Louisiana make the best crawfish IMO.

2 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Went to a work function boil last year that was about 15 of us. Guy who made them was the husband of our HR manager and he put some 2 inch carrots in the boil. Carrots are now a new favorite of mine. They were absolutely fantastic. People from Louisiana make the best crawfish IMO.

A hot take, pulled from the same bag of hot takes containing things like "man, do those italians know pasta!" and "say what you will, but mexicans make the best street tacos."

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A hot take, pulled from the same bag of hot takes containing things like "man, do those italians know pasta!" and "say what you will, but mexicans make the best street tacos."

I don’t know any Italians. I know some Mexicans but can’t confirm if they make good street tacos. Kinda racist IMO.

On 4/2/2022 at 8:48 PM, TXSG8R said:

Thank you for this one.  These will definitely be serious eaters.  

11 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Thank you for this one.  These will definitely be serious eaters.  

I would plan for at least 5 pounds a person then.  Like Chief said above, some guys can put away 10 pounds, but if you plan around that and they stay closer to 5 (or you have some no-shows) you’re sitting on a shit ton of extra bugs that you’ll have to tail for storage. You buy them in sacks that range from 30-35 pounds, so I would shoot for two heavy sacks and stay at 70 for a first run. You’ll learn from there what your people actually eat and can plan better for the next trip. If someone is genuinely hungry after putting away 7 pounds tell them to eat some potatoes and corn and see a doctor.

You’ll need a few big coolers. One for the bugs on ice, one for extra ice for soaking (or pro move, cooler full of beer and grab some loose ice for the cold soak), and one or two for cooked dumps (we separate the mild bugs from the rest). We keep our sacks under ice until the day of. We wash and purge (come at me heretics) our bugs the morning of the cook. Dump your sacks into the cooler, hit them with the hose, cover them with water, and then dump half a container of iodized salt and let them burp for about half an hour. After that multiple flushes until the water stays clear. During the washes you have to look for dead bugs and pull those. Don’t pull until after that first burp unless they are obviously dead (bodies crushed) because some take a bit to wake up after being on ice. If you’re unsure pick them up and hold them for a few and see if their legs move. You’ll also be clearing out any loose grass and shit while sifting for dead bugs. Hope this helps. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I would plan for at least 5 pounds a person then.  Like Chief said above, some guys can put away 10 pounds, but if you plan around that and they stay closer to 5 (or you have some no-shows) you’re sitting on a shit ton of extra bugs that you’ll have to tail for storage. You buy them in sacks that range from 30-35 pounds, so I would shoot for two heavy sacks and stay at 70 for a first run. You’ll learn from there what your people actually eat and can plan better for the next trip. If someone is genuinely hungry after putting away 7 pounds tell them to eat some potatoes and corn and see a doctor.

You’ll need a few big coolers. One for the bugs on ice, one for extra ice for soaking (or pro move, cooler full of beer and grab some loose ice for the cold soak), and one or two for cooked dumps (we separate the mild bugs from the rest). We keep our sacks under ice until the day of. We wash and purge (come at me heretics) our bugs the morning of the cook. Dump your sacks into the cooler, hit them with the hose, cover them with water, and then dump half a container of iodized salt and let them burp for about half an hour. After that multiple flushes until the water stays clear. During the washes you have to look for dead bugs and pull those. Don’t pull until after that first burp unless they are obviously dead (bodies crushed) because some take a bit to wake up after being on ice. If you’re unsure pick them up and hold them for a few and see if their legs move. You’ll also be clearing out any loose grass and shit while sifting for dead bugs. Hope this helps. 

Awesome, thanks again.

Oddly enough, my mom and mom’s side of the family are all from Louisiana.  I learned how to cook from my mom, and my brother (who was a chef), who learned from my grandmother.  Gumbos, shrimp stew, etouffee, boiled shrimp, blue crab, etc…. But we never did crawfish boils. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Maybe my mom wasn’t much of a crawfish person.

And if I’m at a boil myself, I’m usually just throwing back beers and talking.

But I want to have one this spring.

Damn. I stopped in an Asian market yesterday to pick up fresh bean sprouts and they actually had live crawfish. I’m not prepared to do a crawfish boil at all. I’ve read a lot about it but don’t have the equipment. And zero experience. And no partner in crime with whom to commiserate. They were $5.99/lb and I felt like I should’ve just bought all they had and then tried to figure it out later but that probably would’ve been a waste. Now I think if I try to figure out a boiling strategy then when I go back they’ll probably all be gone. Surely that can’t be more than a few pounds, right?

EE6D0734-02BC-47F8-8C66-0695B9CA1FE1.thumb.jpeg.2fb7a67cad91f05e3e819a01a7c30f2b.jpeg

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I've done that -- grab 5-6 lbs at the Asian market and just boil some for the boy and me.  It's a lot easier than a big boil.

Do you do that on the stove top? I don’t have a gas burner and a big pot like you’d use to fry a turkey outdoors. I’ve seen seasoning mixes in the store so I could manage that. I don’t really have a sense for their weight vs. volume. Maybe I could fit two pounds in my largest pot on the stovetop? Maybe three? I have no idea.

I guess I should go buy some and pick up a seasoning mix and give it a whirl just to see what happens. 

17 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Tonight at deer camp

EF5C8D72-9651-4A04-89DB-3403BCF68087.jpeg

B791E96F-B7B5-40DB-9707-755950F08FA4.jpeg

BDB4C551-E07D-4F0C-8101-67D86B36249A.jpeg

Now, do you just season the boiling water? Or do you season a cold soak in a separate pot? Or do you season both? Is there even a need for a cold soak? There used to be a Cajun restaurant here in town that did a crawfish boil every summer. Harold the owner (RIP) just boiled the live crawfish in seasoned water then served it hot when it was done. That seems like the easiest way to go.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Now, do you just season the boiling water? Or do you season a cold soak in a separate pot? Or do you season both? Is there even a need for a cold soak? There used to be a Cajun restaurant here in town that did a crawfish boil every summer. Harold the owner (RIP) just boiled the live crawfish in seasoned water then served it hot when it was done. That seems like the easiest way to go.

Seasonings in the boiling water.   Bugs in the water.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 10:06 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

The soak is where all the flavor gets imparted into the crawfish. Also, it's not a "cold" soak but water that's 150 degrees or lower so they don't continue to cook. 

The best crawfish I ever had was with someone using 2 pots. One with clean water, then one with seasoned water that was brought to a boil to cook all the sides, then cooled down a bit. The crawfish were cooked in the clean water for a few minutes at a rolling boil, then put into the "soak" pot and sat there for 30 minutes. Even after cleaning/purging the crawfish before cooking, the water in that first pot still looked fucking gross after they came out.

For the rest of us that only have a single pot, just clean the hell out of the crawfish ahead of time. Then after they cook for a few minutes, either throw in some ice or frozen ears of corn (I always do both and check my water temp) to bring the water temp down.

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It was a couple weeks ago, but the crawfish event at Great Heights Brewery in Houston is hands down the best I’ve been to. This year it was 12 teams, $35 got you all you can eat. It’s like going to 12 backyard crawfish boils at once. Each booth had their entire unique flavor or twist on things. 

This was just 4 of the teams. Don’t miss it next year. 

8E781629-ABAF-43D1-B9F5-73EC2C002101.jpeg

F2527411-1C0E-47E6-A65C-8C245CB6F6D5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

We have 5 lbs of heads and shells that were left from our last boil, plan on using it for stock.. 

Also have 5lbs of tail maeat. Never had this much leftover so I'm open to recipe recs. 

With that much Crawfish, the classics are always there. Jambalaya. Etouffee, Crawfish Pie  

Or were you wanting to think outside the box a bit?