Mexico - Off the Beaten Path

I’ve had good times in Guanajuato and San Luis Potosí. Old towns, street markets, cafes on the plaza, great food, etc… I wouldn’t call them hidden gems but it’s a taste of real Mexico that the beach resort tourists don’t see.   Of course there’s San Miguel de Allende but it’s pretty overrun with white expats.  

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I’ve had good times in Guanajuato and San Luis Potosí. Old towns, street markets, cafes on the plaza, great food, etc… I wouldn’t call them hidden gems but it’s a taste of real Mexico that the beach resort tourists don’t see.   Of course there’s San Miguel de Allende but it’s pretty overrun with white expats.  

Have Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende and Oaxaca on the books as well, but yeah, that’s for Uncle Karl’s thread.

Anybody hung out in Guadalajara?

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I’ve been Guadalajara a few times. It’s a massive city of at least a few million.   I’m sure there’s some cool areas there but mostly it’s just a huge city.  Copper Canyon isn’t far from there and it’s pretty interesting. 

Tequila is close by too.

Mexico City has a million places nearby too.

7 hours ago, Your Mom said:

for SLP, head east to Huasteca Potosina. Lots of incredible shit to see and do.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

for SLP, head east to Huasteca Potosina. Lots of incredible shit to see and do.

This is why I started this thread.

woah. Mind blown. Wife’s favorite thing is waterfalls. I’ve been looking for a surprise trip for her 40th. Thank you.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

10 hours ago, staboner said:

i'd be curious to see if any peeps have spent time in other Pacific locations (outside of PV)

Mazatlan or Manzanillo? or other towns on the pacific that have a nice "i can live there" kind of vibe

Been to Guadalajara and Manzanillo many times.  Manza definitely is the winner if ya were interested in making the move.  Although, just outside of Guada, there is couple of small towns worth a look Ajijic and Jocotepac on Lake Chapala.  For Manza, we really liked El Vaquero, Ajijic find a place named Tango's.  There is another small place in Manza I'd recommend but can't remember right now.  While we were in Manza, I had some grilled pollo an old woman was cooking in the rim of a vehicle.  My wife was telling me I was gonna be sick blah blah blah.  I responded with well other than the fact it don't have a smoke stack it's called BBQ.  It was good and I'd do it again.  BTW, the beach outside our hotel is where the filmed Bo Derek jogging down the beach in the movie 10.  Last thing, Manza does have an airport and the runway is right on the beachfront, makes for a nice approach and departure.  Adios.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, staboner said:

i'd be curious to see if any peeps have spent time in other Pacific locations (outside of PV)

Mazatlan or Manzanillo? or other towns on the pacific that have a nice "i can live there" kind of vibe

Lot of places around (and including) Huatulco and Puerto Escondido in Oaxaca... Mazunte, Puerto Angel, etc

and I'd take Manzanillo over Mazatlan.....Mazatlan is full of old bitchy annoying US/Canuck ex-pats.

image.thumb.png.cc737def03d505681e7958ef7677d27b.png

Edited by rage-a-holic
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Been to Guadalajara and Manzanillo many times.  Manza definitely is the winner if ya were interested in making the move.  Although, just outside of Guada, there is couple of small towns worth a look Ajijic and Jocotepac on Lake Chapala.  For Manza, we really liked El Vaquero, Ajijic find a place named Tango's.  There is another small place in Manza I'd recommend but can't remember right now.  While we were in Manza, I had some grilled pollo an old woman was cooking in the rim of a vehicle.  My wife was telling me I was gonna be sick blah blah blah.  I responded with well other than the fact it don't have a smoke stack it's called BBQ.  It was good and I'd do it again.  BTW, the beach outside our hotel is where the filmed Bo Derek jogging down the beach in the movie 10.  Last thing, Manza does have an airport and the runway is right on the beachfront, makes for a nice approach and departure.  Adios.

Good stuff. Guadalajara if you want the city vibe. Manzanillo if you want more beach vibe.

I've been all over but most recently I've personally driven much of the interior of Mexico over the last year.  From Monterrey to Saltillo, Monclova, Cuatro Ciénagas, Matehuala, Zacatecas, Aguascalientes, Leon, Queretaro, Guanajuato, San Miguel, Guadalajara, thru Jalisco and Colima to Manzanillo. Would easily drive thru it all again. At every state border, "detenedor", i was waived thru without issue.  Never was asked for money.  Times have changed.  Not saying there aren't issues but there are old couples from Iowa traveling in RV's again.  The beauty of Mexico really is vast.  In those areas you see all the landscapes offered in the Texas Hill country, Arizona, South and North, California, South and North and more.

I to would recommend the Potosina outside of San Luis to start.  San Luis is more desert like with the Potosina being the oasis.  If you drive stick to 57 and the cuota's.  Don't go through Victoria/Tampico or Laredo.   

Manzanillo is beautiful and wonderful if you are looking to relax.  I'd recommend it more for couples, families or older people.  Las Hadas is where i usually will stay as it works best for us.  Most of your time probably will be spent at the resort with the occasional dinner in town. Its a smaller town.  It does not have the nightlife that a Cancun or Los Cabos offers.

South of Mexico City is a whole other set of experiences and another post for another time.  

Lastly, San Miguel is nice but overrated.  There are 25 towns nicer than SMdA. Why travel all that way to go to see and experience something similar to Lake Travis, only with Californians.

The centro historico of Guadalajara is the best part to me.  After a day on the hop on/off bus gives you a good idea of what the city has to offer.  It doesn't have the natural beauty Monterrey does.  It is more spread out like Houston.  Every major city has at least one pueblo magico that is the getaway, think Fredericksburg or Gruene to Austin, that people daytrip to.  Tlaquepaque is the primary for Guadalajara.     

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...