Texas at Iowa State 1pm on ESPN+

SDG

Well, this game sucks. 

Glad not to hear Lowell Galindo, I'll say that. This guy isn't amazing, but he's a breath of fresh air. Don't even mind Lance Blanks as much without the special needs sidekick he's usually coupled with.

Also, what Otzelberger has done at ISU from last year to this year is on the miraculous side. I've been flabbergasted all year. Chris Beard had his work cut out for him at Texas, but he was working with the Dream Team compared with what was coming back for ISU after the season they had last year.

• Hook 'Em 2

If we don't fall to an 8 seed I think we win the first game and then probably lose the second game in the tournament.

we are way to loose on the offensive end due to no ballhandler to settle us down when we start to look like middle schoolers with ADD.

14 of our 20 turns were from 4 players. Too many mental mistakes and guys playing like deer in the headlights. The three main holdovers (Ramey, AJ, Brock) had ONE turnover combined. 

I just don't think these transfers know how to handle road environments in the B12. Especially against good teams. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, dcar00 said:

If we don't fall to an 8 seed I think we win the first game and then probably lose the second game in the tournament.

we are way to loose on the offensive end due to no ballhandler to settle us down when we start to look like middle schoolers with ADD.

I still think we haven't seen this team's final form, yet. Also, this game is the season high in turnovers, so it looks particularly bad. 

Not sure they're going to be able to completely put it together this year, but I'm hopeful. That back end of the Big 12 schedule isn't going to do us any favors.

At the end of the day, if they protect home court and steal a few road wins, they'll be fine. The biggest issue for this team is that they were overhyped in the preseason, IMO. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

14 of our 20 turns were from 4 players. Too many mental mistakes and guys playing like deer in the headlights. The three main holdovers (Ramey, AJ, Brock) had ONE turnover combined. 

I just don't think these transfers know how to handle road environments in the B12. Especially against good teams. 

I suggest they get used to it bc if not, we look 8-10 in conference. Lubbock, Morgantown, Phog, Norman, Baylor.  And still have KU, Baylor and Tech at home. 

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think looking to shoot earlier in the shot clock really helps the Texas offense -- I'm hoping Beard learned a little more today on how this team can score more points.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I suggest they get used to it bc if not, we look 8-10 in conference. Lubbock, Morgantown, Phog, Norman, Baylor.  And still have KU, Baylor and Tech at home. 

Eh. We aren't losing all 8 of those. This is still a pretty good team. I'm just not sure how high their ceiling is. 

Win the next 3 and we're over halfway to 10 wins in the conference. 4-1 in these 5 is a great result and still on the table. This was easily the hardest contest. 

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

The biggest issue for this team is that they were overhyped in the preseason, IMO. 

Big time. But on paper, it didn't seem to me like such a reach. Of course, I'd never actually watched any of the new guys play, so it was easy for me to wishcast dominance from the start.

In hindsight, I'm wondering how we looked reasonably solid at Gonzaga. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Eh. We aren't losing all 8 of those. This is still a pretty good team. I'm just not sure how high their ceiling is. 

Win the next 3 and we're over halfway to 10 wins in the conference. 4-1 in these 5 is a great result and still on the table. This was easily the hardest contest. 

February 1 in Lubbock is going to be fun.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

and we lost to OSU already on the road.

probably 9-9, which sucks.  I'm amazed how bad Carr is.  Disu and Allen were complete non factors.   I thought these transfers would be a lot more athletic and polished but of course there is a reason they are transfers.

We really need to win at least one game in the tournament.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  I see something like 11-7 in conference.  Second round or sweet sixteen (as the likely ceiling) in the tournament.  We’re probably a legit top 20 team.  It’s just we were hyped as being top 5 for reasons that were pretty overzealous, in hindsight.  

TCU, Ok State and KSU should have been/should be our easiest road contests in contest. Well we dropped one, so we have to make it up either in Norman, Morgantown, Waco, Lubbock, or Lawrence. Gulp.

We’d also need to hold home court against every non-KU/Baylor team and hopefully split those 2. And nothing gimme about Tech and ISU.  I don’t see it - RIGHT NOW. This team has a lot of work to do. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Big time. But on paper, it didn't seem to me like such a reach. Of course, I'd never actually watched any of the new guys play, so it was easy for me to wishcast dominance from the start.

In hindsight, I'm wondering how we looked reasonably solid at Gonzaga. 

we were down 20 after the first half at Gonzaga.  they went cruise control the rest of the way.  Also, Gonzaga is not the complete juggernaut they were assumed to be.

Askew sucks. Where’s the idiot that posted at me saying askew dishes out multiple assists a game. Umm .9 assists over the last 10 games is pretty impressive. I feel he should just make the neat leap down to Texas st. 

I still think we will pull off one or two road games but definitely not going to be a 3/4 seed. We’re looking at 7/8 seed for sure.

47 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

no athletes, no shooters. lots of talent, but hard to compete these days when you're as athletically limited as we are. like you have to be a really really good shooting team to win in March with our lack of athletes. oh well. we're playing with house money this year anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So if all you have to do to get calls is fill the arena and boo the refs, why don’t y’all get to Erwin and return the favor?

And I’m not saying we don’t get home cooking (we do), I’m just saying this advantage is available to any fanbase willing to go out and get it.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

TCU, Ok State and KSU should have been/should be our easiest road contests in contest. Well we dropped one, so we have to make it up either in Norman, Morgantown, Waco, Lubbock, or Lawrence. Gulp.

We’d also need to hold home court against every non-KU/Baylor team and hopefully split those 2. And nothing gimme about Tech and ISU.  I don’t see it - RIGHT NOW. This team has a lot of work to do. 

I dont think there's a game on the schedule this team can't win. I also don't think there's more than a couple that I'd be shocked if they lost. Those two might be two of the next three. 

ISU needed about 18 turnovers and to shoot 54% from the field to beat us today. 

Everyone in this conference is beatable. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I disagree.  Our big guys are the best scorers, and they didn’t get many shots.  We don’t need Carr and Jones taking quick, bad shots.  They aren’t going to start making them at a higher rate.  Work the offense and get it to Allen, Mitchell and Disu.  

We need to just not turn the ball over like 8th graders who struggle to dribble.  And play defense like we normally do.  It wasn’t just all hot shooting from ISU today.  They got a lot of layups that shouldn’t have happened.  

Big guys can get early shots too.

I didn't say quick shots by guards -- just be more fuckin' aggressive earlier on offense.

So fuckin' tired of dribble, dribble, dribble then a few passes and throw up a prayer. Or today just turnover the ball what like 20+ times.

Be fuckin' aggressive and look to score as soon as yah get a good shot -- and for Christ's sake more other players look to offensive rebound especially on the opposite side of basket where the shot was attempted... 

• Hook 'Em 1