Kids' names that your spouse rejected

Prepuce of Doom

I pressed for Van as a middle name.  Like Elvis Van Presley.  It sounds more european with my real last name.  We wound up going with Sterling for the middle name, which is cool.  The second boy's middle name is Dean.  I really hope that he adopts that name as he gets older and gets in a frat.  THE DEAN!

On 1/15/2022 at 7:19 PM, UnivTex34 said:

I spent 4 years telling everyone we were going to give my first born a family name my wife did not like. So in the delivery room, when she once again protested the family name, I suggested Nolan, which was the real name I had always wanted. Nolan is 18 months old. 

long game.

When we were pregnant with lil' Irish, the anniversary of Nolan Ryan beating the shit out of Robin Ventura came along. Of course I watched the video to celebrate and said "we should name our son Nolan Ryan (Irishtexan)" as a joke. My wife said "I really like that name" so he ended up being named Nolan. We didn't give him the middle name Ryan, because that would be too much. Our Nolan is now 6 years old.

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

I know two Cuatros and a Cinco (son of one of the Cuatros)  

Thats all I got for now  

I know a guy that is a seventh and he goes by Seven. He has nicknamed his son Ocho. I was a little anxious for him after he got married and they started trying because that's a lot of pressure to have a boy to carry on that name. They got pregnant with a boy right out of the gate. I'm sure that must have been a huge relief. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/15/2022 at 6:47 PM, texashorne said:

I wanted 3 kids names Austin, Houston, and Dallas. I got 33% of my wish. 

On 1/15/2022 at 6:54 PM, Grade of D as in David said:

You know Dallas and Houston would fight all the time

And Austin would have loafed around and talked about how cool he is. 

• Haha 1

We didn't announce our kids' names until they were born, mostly because I wanted to avoid people talking about our kids by name before they were born.  So they had in utero redneck names.

First born was Cooter Roy.  Second was Amos Moses.  First born was referred to as Cooter by his uncle for many years thereafter.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, deadshank said:

And Austin would have loafed around and talked about how cool he is. 

I've got friends from college that were named Harris, Dallas, and Travis.   We were all drinking at a party one night and started giving them shit, asking "What are y'all gonna name your kids... Tarrant? Bexar? Palo Pinto??"   

They didn't think it was as funny as I did.  

• Haha 1

Late 80s, when I was in the Air Force, one of the girls in the squadron was named Salina. Nice name, we didn't think too much on it. Her brother came in for a visit, he was named, Austin. Again, not too bad until we found out their middle names. This was on their IDs as their first and middle names, Salina Kansas and Austin Texas. They had to show us their IDs because we didn't believe them. Yes, their parents named them after the cities they were born in.

My wife wanted to name out daughter Grace, I vetoed it. No way I was going to let her get into high school to have punks say, Amazing Grace, sit on my face.

Ex nixed Evangeline for our girl...she would have been alright with Evie. I said, alright, we name her Evangeline, but you can call her Evie. Nope. 

I thought Maceo would have been a badass name for our boy but the ex thought it might be too "urban."

My mom was gonna name me Geronimo, to go along with my middle name, which is pretty hippy on its own. I ended up the fourth with my first name in a row, hippy middle name, family name. (Which I found out via DNA is a 250-year-old lie, but that's another story.) 

• Haha 1

My dad told my mom he was going to name me Gaylord Ravanoff III, probably so he could make a pregnant woman shriek in terror.

For years I thought he just made it up. Then I was going through some of his old school stuff, and there was a note from a frat buddy calling my dad Gaylord Ravanoff. It was some nickname or code name he was using back when he led a crew rampaging around 1950s Montgomery.

It appears to be a garbled version of Gaylord Ravenal, the riverboat gambler lead from Show Boat.

ShowBoat.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, dcbc said:

We didn't announce our kids' names until they were born, mostly because I wanted to avoid people talking about our kids by name before they were born.  So they had in utero redneck names.

First born was Cooter Roy.  Second was Amos Moses.  First born was referred to as Cooter by his uncle for many years thereafter.

We waited to find out the gender, so Doomlet was Festus the Fetus until he made his debut. Relatives began getting nervous towards the end based on how comfortable we became with that nickname. 

• Haha 3

When my ex-SIL was pregnant with her second son, she said they were gonna name him Hunter. I thought that name sucked but I what I really thought was cool is that their last name begins with an H as well. I said you need to give him a middle name that begins with an H too, so he can be Triple H!  She did not agree, and instead used her maiden name for the middle name, which is dumb.

When I called my grandmother to tell her I was going to have twin girls, she said great, you can use my first and middle name for their names. I respectfully declined her suggestion but I always tell my kids to be thankful that they aren't named Esther and Elvira.

I wasn't really locked in on it as something to argue about, but I did have "Elspeth" ("Ellen" or "Elly" as a shortened version) but that didn't fly with the wife.

She was always conjugating names & looking for ways it could be used or twisted by other kids; that was very important to her because she actually has a dumb 1st name (because her mom is an idiot... but that's for another thread... wife goes by her middle name except on medical or legal docs, etc).

The girl (oldest) has a very pedestrian 1st & middle name... I dig it.

The boy is also nicely generic for both names... & My nickname for him from prob. the 1st week has always been "Monster".  He doesn't mind when I use it, but get chafed with others pull that.

10 hours ago, Sandman said:

When my ex-SIL was pregnant with her second son, she said they were gonna name him Hunter. I thought that name sucked but I what I really thought was cool is that their last name begins with an H as well. I said you need to give him a middle name that begins with an H too, so he can be Triple H!  She did not agree, and instead used her maiden name for the middle name, which is dumb.

When I called my grandmother to tell her I was going to have twin girls, she said great, you can use my first and middle name for their names. I respectfully declined her suggestion but I always tell my kids to be thankful that they aren't named Esther and Elvira.

Well they call me the hunter
That's my name
They call me the hunter
That's how I got my fame
Ain't no need to hide
Ain't no need to run
'Cause I've got you in the sights of my gun

13 hours ago, Sandman said:

When my ex-SIL was pregnant with her second son, she said they were gonna name him Hunter.

A co-worker 30 years ago named her baby Hunter. Which is fine. But when he was a baby she would pitch a fit if people didn't really pronounce the "T," as in, say Hun-TER like some freaking Brit. I mean, Americans slur "T"s between vowels, it's why we make Latter Day Saints sound like Ladder Day Saints. 

Haven't seen them since the kid was a baby. Wonder if she's still going Momzilla over that damn T. Probably raised him to be an interpretive dancer who spells his name in all-lower-case letters but who really pronounces the T.

• Like 1

True Story: I was going to name my one and only daughter (no pics), "Anck Su Namun", the name of Imhotep's lady in the 1999 Brenden Fraser classic, "The Mummy". I freaking loved that movie and was all about the name. Wife heard me say it out loud and after realizing I was not joking, says "I'm not naming my child "An Ox and A Moon. What are we a bunch of hippies?" 

So, we compromised on the name, "Emma". 🤷‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Names have always been kind of a sensitive subject for me.  Names are important and should be treated as such.  Instead of projecting some positive trait, so many people pick names that only signal how dumb they are.  Drives me nuts.

Anyway, when we started talking about having kids I made my wife aware that this was a danger zone for us.  So we agreed to a system.  We did not find out the sex of the baby before the birth, so we had to have girl and boy names.  The system was that at the appointed time, each of us would send the other a list of ten girl names and ten boy names.  The highest name in common from both sets of lists would be the winner.  It actually worked perfectly for our first.  We started deviating from the rules after that.  Fortunately, naming our kids didn't lead to violence or divorce like it could have.

2 hours ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

Former acquaintance of mine legit pushed for his twin sons to be named Copen and Hagen. He was unsuccessful 

We definitely know your former acquaintance was a redneck.

My dad wanted to name my sister Rocky, but mom stopped that. This was many years before the movie.

On 1/16/2022 at 7:48 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Lost the fight on our first son, I wanted Cullen.  She got Dalton.  Won on the first girl with Savannah.  By the time our daughter and last son arrived I was over it.

Wife and I both wanted Cullen but Twilight was all the rage at the time and that name was known for being some dumbass vampire.  Our temporary name was Hannibal and it started to stick after a few months to the point where my wife got angry I was really going to pull for it.

Ended up with all girls.  On the last one, we waited to find out the sex, and we just knew it would be a boy. I wanted Harlan. Wife couldn’t handle its badassness and shut it down.  Ended up with a girl, of course.  Was having real trouble at this point having named several others and were digging deep into the bench. Ended up with an old school name that later became sort of trendy. Oh well.