2022 Transfer TE Jahleel Billingsley

23 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Meh.

We got a TE who couldn’t stay out of Saban’s doghouse.

Yippee.

Well Satk did say that Bama’s backups could beat us.  I’m glad to have him a change of scenery and competition at the position will bring at the best of the talent we have.  I miss the days of having a clutch tight end.  

On 1/16/2022 at 6:00 PM, Ghost of Shag said:

Meh.

We got a TE who couldn’t stay out of Saban’s doghouse.

Yippee.

1.  a TE who couldn’t stay out of Saban’s doghouse.

or 

2.  Cade Brewer

I can't decide which one I'd rather have on the field.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/17/2022 at 5:29 PM, Jabberwocky said:

Dude, he posts that on his twitter ? Best transfer twitter  post EVER!!!! Fuck yeah, let’s go! Luv ya blue! Tyler Rose! Hook ‘em fucking horns!!! 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 1/16/2022 at 7:07 PM, texifornia said:

Jesus Christ man, this is some sad stuff. Go for a walk, hug a loved one, have a scoop of ice cream.

Surly went from there’s no way Billingsley transfers to Texas because he’s a NFL talent on a team like Alabama to meh within weeks. 

Hilarious. 

On 1/16/2022 at 9:46 PM, Huckleberry said:

His blocking was pretty bad this year. Awful at times. 

But his upside is through the roof. You're typically not going to get guys who are great at everything from Alabama. Those guys are busy preparing for the draft. 

But he has work to do to get engaged again and approach his ceiling. 

That’s why Sark used him primarily as a flex TE. 

BoB is a moron. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Surly went from there’s no way Billingsley transfers to Texas because he’s a NFL talent on a team like Alabama to meh within weeks. 

Hilarious. 

I think the souring had a lot to do with looking like complete and utter dog shit in the national title game.  I mean, he looked fucking awful.  Obviously he shows a lot of promise at times and his upside is ridiculous.  Also, people shouldn't be judged on one bad game... but he was in Saban's doghouse for a reason.  Hopefully Sark and Banks can get him focused and playing well. 

2 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I think the souring had a lot to do with looking like complete and utter dog shit in the national title game.  I mean, he looked fucking awful.  Obviously he shows a lot of promise at times and his upside is ridiculous.  Also, people shouldn't be judged on one bad game... but he was in Saban's doghouse for a reason.  Hopefully Sark and Banks can get him focused and playing well. 

Billingsley was in Saban’s doghouse because he wouldn’t get vaccinated. 

That doesn’t say much about his play but I guess you could argue it’s an example of him being a bad teammate.

I thought Billingsley looked like a future All-American in last year’s playoffs and I’m betting his struggles this year had almost entirely to do with BoB being a moron and not knowing how to utilize a flex TE. 

• 10 months later...

I guess this makes signing Deuce Robinson or Pimpton in the '23 recruiting class a higher priority.

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He came in thinking he’d be the starter but sanders is much better.  He won’t be starting here as long as JT is playing for Texas. 

Don't forget this was also before UT got both Neyor & Hall in the portal. 

So 3 factors fucced up the plans for Billingsley this season:

1. Sanders stepping up as #1 TE

2. UT later getting more WR talent in the portal

3. The 6-game suspension.

• Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

was it clarified in the article why hes not with the team? I'm broke don't have IT

11 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

LOL, that IT article is free. But anyways that article didn't give any details on why he chose to leave the program.

5 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Walked out of practice 

IT mods must've mentioned that detail in the thread because it isn't in the article.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Him and Hall will/are busts. Hopefully we learned our lesson.

17 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

What lesson is that?

On recent IT livestreams within the last week, Gerry Hamilton & Bobby Burton have talked about how UT should only go after experienced starters/2-deep guys in the portal.

Portal guys who lack on-the-field experience are a waste of time & UT is better off giving those spots to high school recruits.

So based on that criteria, UT would've passed on Hall but they still would've took Billingsley.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On recent IT livestreams within the last week, Gerry Hamilton & Bobby Burton have talked about how UT should only go after experienced starters/2-deep guys in the portal.
Portal guys who lack on-the-field experience are a waste of time & UT is better off giving those spots to high school recruits.

So based on that criteria, UT would've passed on Hall but they still would've took Billingsley.

Wouldn’t that mean we should’ve passed on Ryan watts as well?

13 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

9 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Wouldn’t that mean we should’ve passed on Ryan watts as well?

From what I understand, Ryan Watts was a 2-deep guy that got a lot of playing time at tOSU. So yeah, UT would still take Watts based on the criteria.

5 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

And Keilan Robinson?

Sark, Flood, Milwee, & Banks were all at Bama when Keilan Robinson was there. So they all seen him up close regularly in practice & knew what he could do. So he's an exception.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

IT:  "After sitting the first six games of 2022 due to suspension, the 6-foot-4, 230-pound tight end appeared in four games for Longhorns, with 38 yards receiving on six catches in limited action. "

(Wonder if playing only 4games allows this to be redshirt year for Billingsley??   Might make more sense to not play anymore this year, especially if he is transferring again.)  

I don’t see why we would limit ourselves to one kind of player out of the portal. If there’s an experienced guy that can help right away, great. If there’s an interesting raw athlete that needs a change of scenery, that’s cool too.

We took a flyer on this guy and cut him loose when it didn’t work out. There’s no harm. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/24/2022 at 11:42 PM, tokamak said:

I don’t see why we would limit ourselves to one kind of player out of the portal. If there’s an experienced guy that can help right away, great. If there’s an interesting raw athlete that needs a change of scenery, that’s cool too.

We took a flyer on this guy and cut him loose when it didn’t work out. There’s no harm. 

No. There is harm since there is an 85 man limit.

This is Texas. We need not involve ourselves in projects when we can get a 4* high school recruit at the snap of the finger with upside.

National championships are the goal so taking players that suck bad enough to not be able to get on the field at another program is not a winning formula.

37 minutes ago, Vermin said:

National championships are the goal so taking players that suck bad enough to not be able to get on the field at another program is not a winning formula.

Ryan Watts and Quinn Ewers say what. Seriously, this is dumb, there's plenty of reasons why a promising young player might not start for a big program. 

Just because our two Bama lottery tickets didn't hit doesn't mean the concept is bunk.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1