Dallas Cowboys 2022 Offseason Thread -- Every Time Jerrah Talks, an Angel Sheds Their Wings

Patrick Bateman

They won’t do it but I’d strongly consider firing McCarthy and promoting Dan Quinn to HC. Might be a lateral move, but maybe you won’t be the most penalized, undisciplined team in the entire league while blaming the refs along the way. The lack of accountability is really damning in my opinion. That’s on McCarthy and nobody else. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Now that I think about it, yes Dak was a major disappointment back half of the year and yesterday, but why is CeeDee Lamb getting off the hook? That guy is streakier than the paw patrol underwear of a potty training 3 year old and it's gotten to be a literal coin flip on if he will catch a pass that hits him in the hands. Oh, and nothing more obnoxious than his stupid punt returns where he tries to tango and griddy dance and two step or whatever he is doing, instead of just running forward and finding seams.

In my opinion he is on "wearing the number 88" probation and better spend this off season getting better.

14 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

The penalties all year shows how poorly disciplined this team is. Fire the corch.

They had an ENTIRE.... FUCKING.... SEASON... to correct the problem. 14 penalties tells you all you need to know about this coach. We knew all along Rodgers was right about him. Look at the motherfucker. He's a fat undisciplined slob. Get him the fuck out of here. At least Jones is sounding like firing the bastard. Said the team never should have been in a position to lose like that.

Once again, we see a fucking coach make an end of the game call that goes against all reason. You do not get caught in bounds when you're out of time outs. Period. No discussion. This sorry jackass apparently didn't know that, and his secret plan was to get ONE fucking shot from the 25. This secret fucking plan, which apparently they worked on a lot, was so fucking brilliant that they would risk running the clock down to one second to get a shot. With fourteen seconds, you can run three motherfucking six-second plays. Not good enough. we need one super duper play that our genius teenage prodigy OC or our barnyard zen-master coach designed while taking a shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TurkeyChew said:

Now that I think about it, yes Dak was a major disappointment back half of the year and yesterday, but why is CeeDee Lamb getting off the hook? That guy is streakier than the paw patrol underwear of a potty training 3 year old and it's gotten to be a literal coin flip on if he will catch a pass that hits him in the hands. Oh, and nothing more obnoxious than his stupid punt returns where he tries to tango and griddy dance and two step or whatever he is doing, instead of just running forward and finding seams.

In my opinion he is on "wearing the number 88" probation and better spend this off season getting better.

this.  he's a horrible punt returner and a boom or bust receiver. its a whole different ballgame when you aren't running 8 yards wide open every play like in college.

I've heard some talk of the weak nfc east was a problem for them. Bullshit. Belichick and Brady had the weakest division in football for the majority of 20 years and it didn't stop them from dominating in the playoffs. It helped them. This team was boosted and helped by the weak division but were too poorly coached on the offensive side and head coach to take advantage of it in the playoffs. 

That's why McCarthy needs to go. Along with 3/5 of the offensive line. But that's a lot harder to do than sending McCarthy back to the barn. 

29 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I've heard some talk of the weak nfc east was a problem for them. Bullshit. Belichick and Brady had the weakest division in football for the majority of 20 years and it didn't stop them from dominating in the playoffs. It helped them. This team was boosted and helped by the weak division but were too poorly coached on the offensive side and head coach to take advantage of it in the playoffs. 

That's why McCarthy needs to go. Along with 3/5 of the offensive line. But that's a lot harder to do than sending McCarthy back to the barn. 

someone is saying the NFC East is a problem for the Cowboys winning in the playoffs?

the problem was the OL and Dak.  The D could have done better but Dak threw the back breaking INT when the D(along with Shanahan/Jimmy G) basically had the Niners O under control in the 2nd half.  If we punt that ball the Niners never score in the second half.

I'd keep Quinn and fire McCarthy.  Quinn almost won a super bowl with Matt Ryan at QB.

39 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The weak nfc East wasn’t a problem. The problem was that you couldn’t show up and play well against a single team worth a shit outside of week 1. The nfc East just gave you 6 easy wins that fooled some fans. They fooled me at times. But after the Arizona game, it was clear as day what this team was 

• Like 1

from sportsday:

Here’s a snapshot of who Dallas currently risks losing in free agency:

Free agents

The Cowboys have 24 free agents, 21 of them unrestricted.

Offense (10)

Noah Brown, WR

Corey Clement, RB

Michael Gallup, WR

Mitch Hyatt**, OL

Ty Nsekhe, OL

Dalton Schultz, TE

Jeremy Sprinkle, TE

Malik Turner, WR

Connor Williams, OL

Cedrick Wilson, WR

Defense (12)

Dorance Armstrong, DE

Francis Bernard**, LB

Maurice Canady, CB

Luke Gifford*, LB

Randy Gregory, DE

Malik Hooker, S

Damontae Kazee, S

Jayron Kearse, S

Keanu Neal, LB

Brent Urban, DE

Leighton Vander Esch, LB

Carlos Watkins, DE

Special teams (2)

Bryan Anger, P

Jake McQuaide, LS

*Restricted free agent

**Exclusive rights free agent

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

If Jerry was smart he'd hire Harbaugh and gtfo the way. But he wont.

nervous-laughter-what-the-fuck.gif

4 hours ago, statsman said:

Well, he once hired Bill Parcells…and then went out and signed Terrell Owens against his wishes. 

To get a stadium built.... Basically, for money.

We need to get real about the OL too.  Yea, Martin is very good but every other spot is just okay,  Tyron is good when healthy, but that seems like only 5-6 games now.  Connor probably played his way out of town, Collins was a mess all year from his idiocy and Biadaz, while improving, is still a middle of the road center.  Understanding the cap situation, we'll probably try to see if McGovern can replace Connor with a whole offseason to work.  I know Farniok played well in limited time so he'll continue to develop, but LT is the big deal.  May have to look there in the first or 2nd rounds.  

A big reason we lost is because we got pushed around.  We're soft and we play in a soft division.  Got get nastier and more physical.  Even Zack got pushed around.

He also allowed a sack and had what, 2 penalties?

Here is what the defense has under contract so can sort of see what needs help.

Here is the offense:

FJUa7ciX0AE-qam?format=jpg&name=large

• Hook 'Em 1

If Quinn gets offered a good HC job, he's outta here. I sure wouldn't stick around waiting to see if my boss (McCarthy) was going to be fired. Maybe he ought to be McBarnyard's replacement? They did shut down the Niners in the second half.

"Just one year after inheriting Mike Nolan’s awful defense, Quinn has the Cowboys in or near the top 10 in most important defensive categories.

One team that has been hot on Quinn’s trail lately is the Denver Broncos, who could look to add a coach with experience and a history of success in order to compete in a very tough division. "

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/01/17/cowboys-replacement-dan-quinn-george-edwards/

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

I'm convinced Randy Gregory is cross eyed...

He's a fucking moron., He has talent but is very limited on what he can do. Basically, he is a guy you tell "see QB, rush QB, hit QB". And that is the extent of his skills. But he is not on the field consistently enough and does not do it enough to outweigh how stupid he is on the other plays. Out of position so much. Braindead penalties. Another waste of a 2nd round pick. It's time to move on from that project. 

I’m not convinced all the Oline problems are personnel but coaching. I think Philbin is a shitty coach. Fire him and get a coach who understands this type player. I mean Martin had a couple of games that he did not grade superior.

Need to find an eventual replacement for Tyron. Bring in an FA to go right T and move Collins to LG. We have to find a center. Keep Steele and Nzdeshke. Cut McGovern for savings and let Williams leave.

I’d keep Schultz if he’s afforable but he’ll likely cost more than Jarwin. We need a blocking TE.

Nothing can be done with Zeke’s contract. All options are bad and he is used up. $18m cap and $30m if you cut him. Zero trade value. Eat it in 22 and make him block. Pollard starts. Get a cheap o draft pick or FA. Cut him in 23 as then he’s $6m in dead cap.

Gallup is gone unless we can keep on a prove it deal because of his injury.
Wilson probably gets a big offer so let him go and we get comp picks. Can we keep as an affordable third? Gotta draft another.

Zeurline should be released today. Saves almost $2.5 mil. But we have to sign Anger.

Gregory isn’t going to give them a discount for sticking with him instead of kicking his ass down the road years ago. Bye.

They’ll restructure Tank, probably keep Armstrong and Gallimore. They have to find a 1 tech, a real fire plug.

Need two more CBs. For his INTs Diggs gets beat with his overpursuit and gave up more yards than any CB in the league. He has been exposed on film and needs serious coaching. Go hang out at Jackson state.

Vanderesch gone. Need to figure out which FAs to keep.

So I expect a ton of roster change. 10 players currently eat $178m before any restructures.

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

nervous-laughter-what-the-fuck.gif

To get a stadium built.... Basically, for money.

We need to get real about the OL too.  Yea, Martin is very good but every other spot is just okay,  Tyron is good when healthy, but that seems like only 5-6 games now.  Connor probably played his way out of town, Collins was a mess all year from his idiocy and Biadaz, while improving, is still a middle of the road center.  Understanding the cap situation, we'll probably try to see if McGovern can replace Connor with a whole offseason to work.  I know Farniok played well in limited time so he'll continue to develop, but LT is the big deal.  May have to look there in the first or 2nd rounds.  

A big reason we lost is because we got pushed around.  We're soft and we play in a soft division.  Got get nastier and more physical.  Even Zack got pushed around.

He also allowed a sack and had what, 2 penalties?

Here is what the defense has under contract so can sort of see what needs help.

Here is the offense:

FJUa7ciX0AE-qam?format=jpg&name=large

When Quinn gets hired away he probably also locks up a couple of useful defenders the Cowboys may have otherwise been able to retain.

Its funny.  After the Bronco debacle and the Thanksgiving disaster I was totally on board that they might win one if they got the right matchup but that was it.   they crush Washington and Eagles but fucking lose to the midget/coach bro combo in between.

The East was so fucking bad on defense that our O looked good.  Its pretty obvious to me that Moore kinda sucks, Dak is a top 15 type QB, Zeke is done, and OL is average.

The Cowboys, Cardinals, and Eagles(especially) were all frauds.

McCarthy might as well be a tree stump. We need Sean Payton but he probably won't want to coach under Jerry.

Quinn is going to get hired away.  I'd fire McCarthy, stay with Quinn, see if you can upgrade Moore and if not keep him, and find a real OL coach.

The D wasn't great against the niners but they played good enough to win considering Dak gave them 7.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

They won’t do it but I’d strongly consider firing McCarthy and promoting Dan Quinn to HC. Might be a lateral move, but maybe you won’t be the most penalized, undisciplined team in the entire league while blaming the refs along the way. The lack of accountability is really damning in my opinion. That’s on McCarthy and nobody else. 

Dak ought to be smart enough to not blame the refs despite what Mojo Moment Idiot is condoning/encouraging. He was awful yesterday and worse in the presser. Lost a lot of respect for him. 

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

someone is saying the NFC East is a problem for the Cowboys winning in the playoffs?

the problem was the OL and Dak.  The D could have done better but Dak threw the back breaking INT when the D(along with Shanahan/Jimmy G) basically had the Niners O under control in the 2nd half.  If we punt that ball the Niners never score in the second half.

I'd keep Quinn and fire McCarthy.  Quinn almost won a super bowl with Matt Ryan at QB.

I agree with you for the most part but if you think Dak now is better than Ryan of those years, you’re crazy. Plus, Quinn had Shanahan and not Moore. Moore is too “go along to get along”. You can tell just by the stupid fucking look on his face all the time. He has no fire, no mean streak, no urgency. He’s largely a lap dog of Garrett and McCarthy and Jerry. 

Having said that I’d love Quinn to take over now after we’ve made Payton turn us down (suspect he will). And then have Moore jettisoned in some fashion whether poached by another team or fired. 

Cowboys must be willing to part ways with Dak in the upcoming offseason with more performances like this in big games. We will need to do it before he gets too old and while he’s still fooling the league with his inflated QB rating. 

55 minutes ago, DougO said:

When Quinn gets hired away he probably also locks up a couple of useful defenders the Cowboys may have otherwise been able to retain.

The only guys who would be really bad losses would be Gregory and Dorance.  The other dudes are jags.  If we lose Quinn, I'd functionally trade with Denver and go hard after Fangio.

4 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

I am not the biggest Dak fan in the world, but his footwork and balance has been off ever since his calf injury this past season.   If he can fix that during the offseason then great, if not then it is destination fucked next year. 

Feel like that has more to do with him not trusting his offensive line. He had a bad case of happy feet back in 2017 after the Chaz green game. He’s never had good pocket presence. Now that the oline is officially what it is, that is getting exposed more and more. 

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

The only guys who would be really bad losses would be Gregory and Dorance.  The other dudes are jags.  If we lose Quinn, I'd functionally trade with Denver and go hard after Fangio.

but Gregory is dumb no?  Dallas needs to rebuild the OL and Def Line, get that massive Baylor NT

7 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

but Gregory is dumb no?  Dallas needs to rebuild the OL and Def Line, get that massive Baylor NT

He's a moron but he still has talent.  And we don't have to rebuild the DL, but we definitely have to get more stout up the middle (we have for nearly a decade) and a mean sob, 1 tech would be extremely helpful as would another good LB who is nasty in the run game.  LVE isn't consistent enough.

OL needs a LT badly.  I liked Slater last year and he's been great, but nobody is going to complain about he Parsons pick.  I'd still look to taking a LT if the value is there in the first two rounds.  Can get a cheap blocking TE in free agency probably.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

33 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Dak ought to be smart enough to not blame the refs despite what Mojo Moment Idiot is condoning/encouraging. He was awful yesterday and worse in the presser. Lost a lot of respect for him. 

The thing is, I don’t think that was just a moment of frustration like some people in the cowboys media are trying to play it off as. I think this team genuinely believes they got fucked by the refs all year. No accountability. Not from the HC, the QB, or any of your defensive leaders outside of Parsons. Of all the glaring red flags we had this season, the openly blaming the refs and the lack of accountability is easily number one for me. That’s more than just “fix the interior oline and draft Tyron’s replacement”. That tells me this group of guys don’t have it. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

Gregory is way too talented to just let walk. I’d tag him if it comes down to that. 

You don’t have the cap space to tag him. He is a $1 mil cap now. If you tag him the 21 number was $16.1 million, so it will be more. Let’s say $17 mill to go with Tank’s $27m. He’s certainly not anywhere good enough for a tag. He will get a big number from someone who thinks he can be a primary edge rusher. He is not and he can’t hold the edge in the run game to save his life.

12 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Nope. His 2022 cap number is $2.76 million. If cut he delivers a $2.54 mill savings. Don’t know where you get your numbers Mr GM.

It's more like 900k.  I'm going to guess you're looking at the overthecap.com and they for some reason have it wrong.  He signed a 4 year deal, 3.6m dollar rookie deal.  Those are pretty boiler plate contracts.

It's more like 900k.  I'm going to guess you're looking at the overthecap.com and they for some reason have it wrong.  He signed a 4 year deal, 3.6m dollar rookie deal.  Those are pretty boiler plate contracts.

Otc shows my numbers, sport trac closer to yours. He’s showing a $1.1m cap hit. I would send him home with a ball and tell him to become a center and see if he can do anything. I would not extend him unless he proves something as a center.