Drive-By Truckers

Al_4_ISU

I thought there was a thread on this site, but apparently it must have been left behind on the Shag.

Absolutely thread worthy.  One of the greatest American rock bands of the last 25 years.  A staggering discography that doesn't have any truly shitty albums in it (some of the odds and ends like the recent The New Ok aren't that good).  Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley remain brilliant songwriters, even if they've gotten completely bogged down in the modern political quagmire (they haven't really written about anything else in awhile).  Unfortunately they're probably more well known for birthing Jason Isbell's career, and their best album was made with him in the fold, but they were putting out incredible music before him and did so after he left.  They remain one of the best live bands going, and I'm jacked to (hopefully) see them at Cain's in Tulsa in 2 weeks.

Let there be rock.

i love everything up to "brighter than creation's dark", but things drop off pretty hard after that. saw them a bunch of times in the early 00's and thought they were fantastic, but the last time i saw them live, around 2016, they seemed like they were just going through the motions. fair or not, i completely wrote them off after that show. 3 dimes down did pop up on a playlist this weekend and damn i really love that song. 

I haven't seen them live since 2016 (saw them 10-15 times between '07 and '16), and that show absolutely kicked ass.  Lydia Loveless opened.  They covered Prince at First Ave in Minneapolis.

There are a bunch of incredibly good songs to come out after BTCD as well.  Well I would agree that none of those albums are as good as the run they had prior to that one, there's like 5-6 really fucking good songs on pretty much every album they've ever done.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

First time i saw them they played the entirety of Southern rock opera at jovita's in 2001. Won tickets on the radio to see them at stubbs in 2006 that included a meet and greet at sound check. My favorite was this show at antone's...954a9bc52b0af36dbb57a825346e0b7e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Hells yes. Love me some DBT.

Probably the band I've actually seen the 3rd most total times after Old 97's and Wilco, as they generally play at Cain's on every tour. I have tickets for their show coming up a week from Saturday.

I'll be there as well.  2nd time to Cain's.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Celery Man said:

So, am I to understand correctly that he was precluded from military service on account of his bad left knee, which was made bad by black eyed pea shotgun blasts courtesy of his father?

That's how I always took it.

Also, not going to make it to Tulsa this weekend.  A family friend passed suddenly earlier this week and the funeral is tomorrow evening.  I could hit the road afterwards and be down to Tulsa in time for the show, but I'm too old to spend 18 hours on the road for a show if I'm not going to spend a few days hanging out in the place I go.

The drinking has tapered way off in the last 5-6 years.  A couple beers and a swig of tequila in the encore.  Nothing like in 2007 when I saw Patterson go over backwards on stage only to land in the chair he'd brought out at the start of the show (Dirt Underneath).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That was actually fun.  Nice to see Wes Freed back in the mix.  Feels like a shift in tone from the last few "everything is irredeemable and terrible" albums (which definitely had some killer moments).  Breath of fresh air for the band, even if it feels light.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 4:58 PM, 4th&Five said:

My first was a SXSW showcase at Cedar Street Courtyard in ‘03. The rest of the lineup was Tim Easton, Vic Chestnut and Slobberbone. Incredible show. 

Tim Easton and Slobberbone. Fuck yeah.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a pair for the show in Austin on March 24 at the Paramount. Aisle seats in Orchestra Right, row U, seats 1-2, easy access to beverages, etc. $120 for the pair which is what I paid. Super sad to miss, but my kiddo got a movie gig in Miami, and happy to miss for that. 

Edited by TXSooner518

Going to the Milwaukee show a week from Saturday.  It dawned on me that I haven't seen them since September of 2016.  I was going to see them in March of 2020, but we all know where that went.  And last year too, but then my friend's dad unexepectedly.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Oh man looks like they are hitting the Jones Assembly in OKC instead of Cain's this time.  Bummer.

(Although Jones Assembly is a cool venue - I saw Old 97's there a few years ago)

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

And last year too, but then my friend's dad unexepectedly.

Yeah they played at Cain's on their last tour - weren't you originally planning on going to that show? 

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Oh man looks like they are hitting the Jones Assembly in OKC instead of Cain's this time.  Bummer.

(Although Jones Assembly is a cool venue - I saw Old 97's there a few years ago)

Yeah they played at Cain's on their last tour - weren't you originally planning on going to that show? 

I was. My friend’s dad died unexpectedly from a massive heart attack a couple days before and the funeral was that weekend.  My cousin and his wife went (they live in Tulsa).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 2:14 PM, TXSooner518 said:

I have a pair for the show in Austin on March 24 at the Paramount. Aisle seats in Orchestra Right, row U, seats 1-2, easy access to beverages, etc. $120 for the pair which is what I paid. Super sad to miss, but my kiddo got a movie gig in Miami, and happy to miss for that. 

Bump if anyone is interested in these two tickets!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love Goode's Field Road, but always thought leaving The Great Car Dealer War off TDS was the right call.  It's ok, but I almost never go out of my way to listen to it.

It's funny that Patterson hated his vocal on Puttin' People on the Moon.  Blew my hair back the first time I heard it.

It also cracks me up that people seemed shocked to learn in 2016 that the band was liberal.  Obviously they hadn't been listening very closely.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 10 months later...