Things to do reasonably close to Houston Hobby

justhookit

Due to a flight cancellation I’m stuck with a 9 hour layover at Houston Hobby on Thursday. I’m not going to sit in the airport that long. My original thought was I would find an outdoor restaurant/bar patio but now the weather is going to be in the 40’s.

So open to suggestions on any restaurant/bar where we can hang out for 5 or 6 hours or any other suggestions for something to do.

If you want to play tourist, you could visit Space Center Houston.  It's pretty cool/interesting.

https://spacecenter.org/

If you just want to chill (literally and figuratively given weather forecast), perhaps dicker around at the Kemah boardwalk (numerous restaurants/bars and carnival type stuff).

https://www.kemahboardwalk.com/

• Like 1

Due to a flight cancellation I’m stuck with a 9 hour layover at Houston Hobby on Thursday. I’m not going to sit in the airport that long. My original thought was I would find an outdoor restaurant/bar patio but now the weather is going to be in the 40’s.
So open to suggestions on any restaurant/bar where we can hang out for 5 or 6 hours or any other suggestions for something to do.

Uber to J Bar M BBQ. Excellent BBQ and they have a full bar and plenty of TVs.

16 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Uber up to EADO for lunch somewhere. Lots of good options. There are some fun breweries and bars in the area too. Maybe check out Pitch 25 (big giant bar full of tvs and all sorts of games to play).

true anomaly brewery is a great spot 

rodeo goat across the street has great burgers 

truck yard is next door 

pitch 25 has solid food 

pizza place across from rodeo goat is good 

indianola is damn good, next door to pizza place

The viet place down there is excellent 

8th wonder is a must 

that bakery place by truck yard os with the stop 

All within 5 min walk of each other 

jm bbq is about a 5 mins drive from this area 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Uber to Kemah Boardwalk or Space Center Houston is probably the best call.  40 minute ride, hang out for several hours, 40 minute ride back per Google Maps (depending on traffic).  Better than staying in the airport, and as noted before the immediate vicinity around Hobby sucks (Telephone Road holla).  Figure an hour travel on each end.  

• 1 year later...

Spent the day at Space Center Houston. I’d been before maybe 20 years ago. Still super nerdy cool. The retired Mission Control (1950 - 1995) has been restored to its 1970 Apollo state. The whole room looks like the staff just went to lunch. There is a 10 minute simulation of the first moon landing. Absolutely bad ass. 

zoom in for cigarettes 

I had a great time and my kid had a great time. 

9F3D1F5D-1627-4D56-80A1-9C42243200B0.jpeg

888B42BB-F8A1-4EF3-BB18-2FA5A9C00CE1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, NAVY said:

Spent the day at Space Center Houston. I’d been before maybe 20 years ago. Still super nerdy cool. The retired Mission Control (1950 - 1995) has been restored to its 1970 Apollo state. The whole room looks like the staff just went to lunch. There is a 10 minute simulation of the first moon landing. Absolutely bad ass. 

zoom in for cigarettes 

I had a great time and my kid had a great time. 

9F3D1F5D-1627-4D56-80A1-9C42243200B0.jpeg

888B42BB-F8A1-4EF3-BB18-2FA5A9C00CE1.jpeg

Love the ash trays!

• Haha 1