3D Printing

52-80

1.  What do you have

2.  What's the favorite thing you've made

3.  What's the most common type of things you make

4.  If you were to buy from scratch right now, what would you get?

I've been perusing the stuff off and on for a while, but it still seems too nascent and niche to have a consumer printer that's solid and foolproof, i.e. the Brother Laser Printer of plastics.  Is that about right?  Or is there really reliable stuff now?

I have a Crealty Ender 5 with a few modifications (bed support, new quiet control board, glass bed). For the price, I'm a big fan. Now that I've got it dialed in, it prints quite well - everything from random enclosures, to parts for an espresso machine, to Nintendo Switch controller holders, to those little wrenches you use to remove bike tires, etc...

That being said, no consumer 3d printer is going to be foolproof. There is a lot of trial and error whether that's playing around with bed temp, extruder temp, filament type, the actual design, fill rate, support structures, etc....

I've made a bunch of things with mine that I'm quite happy with. Probably the biggest achievement was using my 3d printer to build the parts that go into my Lowrider CNC machine.

It's a fun hobby. But you have to treat it as a hobby, not as a tool or office equipment. You will have prints that epically fail and you just have to edit and try again. If that doesn't sound fun, then save yourself the $300-$500 or whatever it is they go for these days. But when it all works as planned, it's pretty fucking cool.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...

I should really be all over this.  A variant was invented at UT while I was there.  I have written patents on it.

I'm a geek and a long time ago, I really enjoyed mechanical drawing (art for the artless, like me).

But, like a lot of technological things (raspberry pis, linux computers, etc.), I doubt I would end up making much use of it once the novelty wore off.

Maybe it goes back to why I didn't pursue an engineering career, per se.  I just don't have much creative inspiration.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah this thing fuckin RULES! I tried swinging for the fences and set up a 16hr print for this pretty big dice tower just to see how it'd do, and maybe get a fun thing to bring to D&D

Really really easy to use and get excellent results with. This print took 315 grams of PETG filament! From this thingiverse .stl

Edited by Captainant
  • Drool 1

So the dominant mode of layering these days is to melt a polymer filament using a three-axis print head?  And that seems to produce a reasonable material?

That's so much remarkably simpler than some of the early methods.  One of the crazier, but actually legit ones used a photopolymer masked with paper, lasers and/or knives operated on three axes trimmed away the paper mask and began to solidify the polymer, which was then hardened using UV light.  

And then there's UT's own Carl Deckard's, that used lasers on three axes to melt a pile of polymer particles into shapes.

FDM is the filament melt like in the video above, and there's also very accessible SLA printing where you have a reservoir of UV-sensitive resin that you use a photomask to cure and it magically draws your item out of the liquid resin. You can get significantly better surface finishes with resin prints, to the point of them being indistinguishable from injection molded pieces. So instead of the paper and photopolymer mask as you're describing, it just uses a Texas Instruments DLP chip to project ultra-accurate light into the resin to cure it. But your choices of material are limited and you have to deal with all the sticky and VOC-filled resins, along with much more post-processing from washing and curing the pieces after printing is complete.

I'm very fortunate to have taken engineering drafting (as a mothafuckin study abroad in Austria!) with Dr. Wood at UT while I was still an engineering student - he was on some of the original patents for 3D printers and this thing that got shipped to my door would make his head explode lol

The print process is pretty straight forward: either make your own 3D model or just download one from thingiverse/thangs/whatever, drop it into your slicer program to generate any necessary supports and gcode for the print head pathing, and then send that gcode to your printer and hopefully you don't get hot spaghetti

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Captainant said:

FDM is the filament melt like in the video above, and there's also very accessible SLA printing where you have a reservoir of UV-sensitive resin that you use a photomask to cure and it magically draws your item out of the liquid resin. You can get significantly better surface finishes with resin prints, to the point of them being indistinguishable from injection molded pieces. So instead of the paper and photopolymer mask as you're describing, it just uses a Texas Instruments DLP chip to project ultra-accurate light into the resin to cure it. But your choices of material are limited and you have to deal with all the sticky and VOC-filled resins, along with much more post-processing from washing and curing the pieces after printing is complete.

I'm very fortunate to have taken engineering drafting (as a mothafuckin study abroad in Austria!) with Dr. Woods at UT while I was still an engineering student - he was on some of the original patents for 3D printers and this thing that got shipped to my door would make his head explode lol

The print process is pretty straight forward: either make your own 3D model or just download one from thingiverse/thangs/whatever, drop it into your slicer program to generate any necessary supports and gcode for the print head pathing, and then send that gcode to your printer and hopefully you don't get hot spaghetti

Is the SLA thing Israeli?  I have forgotten the names of the players, but the photopolymer thing came out of a company from Israel that originally tried to trademark "sterelithography," and this sounds like its descendant.

One I worked on used electrodeposition of nickel on charged surfaces.  Actually seemed pretty plausible, but never went anywhere.

Billy Wood?  Drafting at UT in the 80s was super chickenshit, just some three-view and dimensioning stuff in workbooks using graph paper.  The only CAD systems were CADAM on a S/360 and it was horrible.  I took two years of pencil/pen "mechanical drawing" in high school because I liked it so much and learned AutoCAD in the summers at TI.  Back then, they had processors in the monitors to do real-time pans and regens of big assembly drawings so as not to have to wait on the 8086 PCs.  The primary motivation for TI's adoption of CAD was not ease or speed of use, but drawing storage.

Edited by TwiceHorn

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Billy Wood?

The very same! 

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is the SLA thing Israeli?  I have forgotten the names of the players, but the photopolymer thing came out of a company from Israel that originally tried to trademark "sterelithography," and this sounds like its descendant.

The SLA thing is basically everyone but especially Chinese manufacturers like Elegoo and Creality - and they're only like $250 for an excellent resin printer! It's nuts.

There's a huge growth of novel printer designs, Creality put out a wild printer that has a belt for a print bed, and the print head is on a 45 degree axis relative to the print surface. It has an infinite Z axis to print with!

On 4/10/2023 at 9:07 PM, Captainant said:

Yeah this thing fuckin RULES! I tried swinging for the fences and set up a 16hr print for this pretty big dice tower just to see how it'd do, and maybe get a fun thing to bring to D&D

Really really easy to use and get excellent results with. This print took 315 grams of PETG filament! From this thingiverse .stl

So how big is the market for Gnome and Fairy housing? 😉

• Haha 1

Read about AI architectural tech programs like Midjourney, which can design architectural and designer renderings from words.  The next step is hooking these up to a 3-D printer to create 3-D images/models, and not just flat pieces.   

Edit: Dammit--I see I'm way behind on the thread.  This is already happening. 

Edited by Mdhorn

10 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Read about AI architectural tech programs like Midjourney, which can design architectural and designer renderings from words.  The next step is hooking these up to a 3-D printer to create 3-D images/models, and not just flat pieces.   

Edit: Dammit--I see I'm way behind on the thread.  This is already happening. 

There's actually a one-click function in Fusion360 to apply some generative design techniques to optimize topologies for manufacturing (both additive and subtractive manufacturing) or material use reduction

https://www.autodesk.com/solutions/generative-design/manufacturing

And of COURSE someone has had chatGPT produce some 3D models and gcode, which people have printed. It's not very successful but the proof of concept is there

• Hook 'Em 1

A few more days of tinkering and I'm starting to figure out some cool tricks to help with support removal. Turns out, PETG and PLA have very poor layer adhesion thanks to chemical properties, so I can use the AMS to switch between the material for where the support touches the model. The end result is a very dimensionally stable model that's not too terrible to remove the supports from. The downside is it goes through a shitload of filament just purging one material to print the next. The model took 12grams of material, but the print used about 35g in total including all the purge cycles. Interesting interesting...

Starting to try printing some BattleTech minis, this is my first really nice looking print that still is in one piece after support removal. Mini pics in spoiler so I don't longcat. 

Spoiler

battlemaster_front.thumb.jpeg.09dcbbd1fdd3462c6ce19ab8cab91618.jpegbattlemaster2.thumb.jpeg.1a7c7dc2e45e2e72fc58b6cd7ebd416d.jpegbattlemaster1.thumb.jpeg.7ec1361ec0128fae88212531b07d55bb.jpeg

Bonus points if anyone can ID this mech :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Captainant said:

A few more days of tinkering and I'm starting to figure out some cool tricks to help with support removal. Turns out, PETG and PLA have very poor layer adhesion thanks to chemical properties, so I can use the AMS to switch between the material for where the support touches the model. The end result is a very dimensionally stable model that's not too terrible to remove the supports from. The downside is it goes through a shitload of filament just purging one material to print the next. The model took 12grams of material, but the print used about 35g in total including all the purge cycles. Interesting interesting...

Starting to try printing some BattleTech minis, this is my first really nice looking print that still is in one piece after support removal. Mini pics in spoiler so I don't longcat. 

Hide contents

battlemaster_front.thumb.jpeg.09dcbbd1fdd3462c6ce19ab8cab91618.jpegbattlemaster2.thumb.jpeg.1a7c7dc2e45e2e72fc58b6cd7ebd416d.jpegbattlemaster1.thumb.jpeg.7ec1361ec0128fae88212531b07d55bb.jpeg

Been awhile but I'll go with War Hammer, but hands may be different--more like guns.  

Edited by Mdhorn

On 4/10/2023 at 10:06 PM, Captainant said:

The very same! 

The SLA thing is basically everyone but especially Chinese manufacturers like Elegoo and Creality - and they're only like $250 for an excellent resin printer! It's nuts.

There's a huge growth of novel printer designs, Creality put out a wild printer that has a belt for a print bed, and the print head is on a 45 degree axis relative to the print surface. It has an infinite Z axis to print with!

I've been doing this long enough that I forget that about half of the patents I've ever worked on are expired, not including those expired prematurely via nonpayment of fees.  That Israeli outfit's initial patents probably expired 10 years ago.

Minor bump update to my 3D printing journey: I've settled on using PETG primarily since it doesn't put out any VOCs when printing, and my printer is in my office so that's that lol. Only challenge is that PETG is a much fussier material than PLA to get clean results with, and most of my prints have some blobbing and minor stringing.

I did some googling, and apparently I need to turn off the "slow down for overhangs" setting in my slicer and that'll fix it? Hope it'll work! Ive been trying to print Prusa's new rocket engine model and the print fails when it gets to the fine details on thin connections

edit: that did it, plus some cooling fan tuning!

Edited by Captainant

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump - still loving having my X1C! A few weeks ago I had a cheapo corner shelf from target that I use in my half bath for handsoap get all cracked and water damaged. So I grabbed my calipers, my personal copy of Fusion360, and CADed up a new one that filled exactly half the build plate lol. Really happy with the end product that's in my bathroom now - it's definitely more waterproof than the old one!

20230625_103743.webp

I'm currently printing some espresso and coffee organizers that'll tidy up my coffee area - it's really nice to just find or slightly modify a public project that fits EXACTLY RIGHT, rather than shopping through a bunch of not-quite-right products 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/18/2023 at 8:42 AM, Captainant said:

Reveal hidden contents

Technical question here: do they not have specialty versions of these plastics that will allow stuff like PLA to adhere to PETG? I only ask because chemically modifying plastics to allow them to adhere to dissimilar plastics is pretty much what I do for a living.

54 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Technical question here: do they not have specialty versions of these plastics that will allow stuff like PLA to adhere to PETG? I only ask because chemically modifying plastics to allow them to adhere to dissimilar plastics is pretty much what I do for a living.

Honestly, the simplicity and consistency of a filament is what makes is most useful in printing. I've messed with a PETG that had a speckled appearance and I've had a ton of challenges getting consistent results with it, but the plain single color filament print beautifully and predictably. 

Plus, its neat to exploit some different chemical properties to get better dimensional results - you can get perfectly supported overhangs with zero surface marring on the bottom side at the cost of 10 or so grams of wasted material. But if you print many more of the same item with the same filament swaps at the same layers, you reduce the overall amount of waste since it spreads it across more items.

That said - any good consumer superglue recommendations for making PETG stuff stick to PLA and $(othermaterial)?

I deal with stuff at a raw materials level more so than a consumer level. Mostly it's stuff like making a PE resin with specific properties in order to allow it to adhere to dissimilar resins (like PP or something else) at a molecular level. So like if you wanted to blow a film with a layer that has heat shrink properties and a layer that has UV resistance or an O2 barrier or something, you could either throw a layer of what I make in between or mix some of it in with one of your base resins depending on the application and your final product wouldn't have layers that want to separate. But I'm usually told to make something particular and not always filled in on the end application of whatever it is I'm doing.

On 7/13/2023 at 3:53 PM, Captainant said:

Bump - still loving having my X1C! A few weeks ago I had a cheapo corner shelf from target that I use in my half bath for handsoap get all cracked and water damaged. So I grabbed my calipers, my personal copy of Fusion360, and CADed up a new one that filled exactly half the build plate lol. Really happy with the end product that's in my bathroom now - it's definitely more waterproof than the old one!

20230625_103743.webp

I'm currently printing some espresso and coffee organizers that'll tidy up my coffee area - it's really nice to just find or slightly modify a public project that fits EXACTLY RIGHT, rather than shopping through a bunch of not-quite-right products 

You need to print up some plastic monster turds to throw in that toilet for whenever your wife invites decent folk over.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Bump - working on printing up a big board game project called Hextraction. Lotta print time to get through....

Also, Bambu just announced a new entry level printer that gives you a 180 mm^3 build volume and an AMS unit for $450! Nobody's gotten hands-on with it yet, but if it has all the same autocalibration and fine tuning that my X1C has it's gonna be one heck of a "first printer" for a lot of folks

Edited by Captainant

Just a followup - the new A1 mini from bambulab seems like a screaming deal if you're looking to get into 3D printing

Multi-material, active noise tuning, input shaping, super high speed, and super low maintenance all at $460 ain't bad. It can't print ABS and some more challenging engineering materials, but if you're looking to get into the hobby, this is where I'd start

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I've seen some mockups of 3d printers that could be used by patients to create their own artificial limbs as well as maintenance parts.  And because the printers are cheap, they could print from home. 

In that space - a company has tech that uses photogrammetry and some felt marker witness marks on an arm to generate a printable cast

https://www.activarmor.com/

Really cool synthesis of several techniques

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

In that space - a company has tech that uses photogrammetry and some felt marker witness marks on an arm to generate a printable cast

https://www.activarmor.com/

Really cool synthesis of several techniques

Wonder if these will be like dental guards for teeth grinding that seem similar to a sports mouthpiece but cost almost 400 dollars.  

But that is pretty cool, and we could start seeing it in sports more and more real soon.  Also, how cool would it have been if when you were a kid, you could make your own damn toys.   

Edited by Mdhorn

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for someone to scan/model/print an axle/brake disk guard from a 40 year old Honda.  The item is about 6.75 inches by 2.75 inches by 1.5 inches overall and is about 1/8-5/32 inches thick.  It is molded from hard black plastic with some flexibility.  It has shrunken over time and cracked around its 2 mounting screw holes.  The item is not subjected to flexing when mounted and in use, but it is subjected to engine and road vibration.  The item is not subjected to any engine or other high temperatures, but is subjected to our high summertime air temperatures in its mounting position 1 foot above black asphalt roads.  Only the outer surface shown in the 4th/last photo is visible when mounted.

If this is something you would take on (for cash) please let me know.  Or if you know of someone who could do this job I'd appreciate a reference.

image.png.11c82b0be96d0280dddeef1509ab8092.png

image.png.510e0b33d077942e7eb5a943098e5818.png

image.png.f3742737b2e3ecf32f2c334e02ec8094.png

image.png.ff152ae2dba8c47a5893912969b25f38.png

Edited by Heisenberg

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2022 at 5:57 PM, dieucla98 said:

I have a Crealty Ender 5 with a few modifications (bed support, new quiet control board, glass bed). For the price, I'm a big fan. Now that I've got it dialed in, it prints quite well - everything from random enclosures, to parts for an espresso machine, to Nintendo Switch controller holders, to those little wrenches you use to remove bike tires, etc...

That being said, no consumer 3d printer is going to be foolproof. There is a lot of trial and error whether that's playing around with bed temp, extruder temp, filament type, the actual design, fill rate, support structures, etc....

I've made a bunch of things with mine that I'm quite happy with. Probably the biggest achievement was using my 3d printer to build the parts that go into my Lowrider CNC machine.

It's a fun hobby. But you have to treat it as a hobby, not as a tool or office equipment. You will have prints that epically fail and you just have to edit and try again. If that doesn't sound fun, then save yourself the $300-$500 or whatever it is they go for these days. But when it all works as planned, it's pretty fucking cool.

Are you still playing around with it 2 years on?

I think ive found enough use cases for wanting one: bike accessories, coffee accessories, toys for my kiddo, various organizers for the office and around the house like screwdriver holders.

Also found a product/company I want to support.  Prusa Research started by 1 young guy out of Prague, grew enough to verticalize the whole supply chain, makes everything in house, all products are modular, scaleable, open-source, etc.  Can get a Mini+ kit for around 500. 

55 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Also found a product/company I want to support.  Prusa Research started by 1 young guy out of Prague, grew enough to verticalize the whole supply chain, makes everything in house, all products are modular, scaleable, open-source, etc.  Can get a Mini+ kit for around 500. 

Prusa is the OG and definitely a company worth supporting, but at $500 you get a ton more features and functionality and SPEED with the Bambu A1 mini compared the Prusa Mini. 

But if you're looking to have and tinker the 3D printer as the hobby, rather than just printing a bunch, the Prusa units are the best in class. You'll learn a ton and the completely open platform means you can upgrade stuff pretty easily along the way. 

But you'll also probably be spending as much time getting the printer happy and ready for prints, as you are actually printing

In terms of prints, I've made a few functional prints to replace broken bits and greeblies around the house, recently printed and painted a mini from HeroForge (the .2mm nozzle is pretty pretty good) for a D&D game I'm in, and just started printing some stuff in 95A TPU. My sister (no pics) was in town for me and my wife's baby shower last weekend and I'm sending her home with a couple of mini airless basketballs printed in TPU. 

Turns out they don't bounce much because the TPU more absorbs than reflects bounces, but they're still fun super durable toys for her kiddos. 

I'm super excited to have my printer handy for all the little bits and bobs that you find yourself needing when you're expecting a little one in the house. Been trying to find some good childproofing latches for cabinets and whatnot, the markup on those is INSANE and I can print each one at like $0.50 of material each lol

Edited by Captainant

21 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Are you still playing around with it 2 years on?

I think ive found enough use cases for wanting one: bike accessories, coffee accessories, toys for my kiddo, various organizers for the office and around the house like screwdriver holders.

It ended up sitting around and I gave it to a friend who wanted to dabble. Not anything the fault of the printer or the hobby, just was pulled in too many directions to play around with it. I may get back into it again.