2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

So happy for this team. Czech and JJ coming through like they did was awesome. Looks like Coach White is really developing some serious pitching depth. Give osu all they got and see what happens. 

Wish they would have given blow u a better game yesterday but the pregame tailgating was a blast. Had quite a few UT fans stop by. NCAA and UT media stopped by for some pics and video. This is from the NCAA Twitter page. 

IMG_6184.JPG

• Hook 'Em 4

Fucking great. I was in that boat that there was something wrong, internally, with our girls. And maybe there was/is still. But we went to the Friday night game vs Iowa State when Mary walked it off and I left with a different feeling. The vibe just felt different. It was awesome. I certainly didn't feel a final 4 finish (at least) was in play, but I knew there wasn't any quit in them 

I know there’s a “other than that how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?” aspect to it, but seriously, other than football CDC has hit home runs with his hires. 

Connie Clark was such a beat down. In a state so rich with talent, the facilities they built for softball, and two all timer pitchers on the staff at different times, softball was such an underachieving mess. It’s so nice to see the no quit spirit in these girls. It would be so great to cap this season off with a championship, but even if they fall short the postseason has been amazing to follow. 

Frickin’ Oklahoma State. They’ve had our number in both diamond sports this year. I’d love to get a huge piece of payback tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So looking at options for tonight and who we will face:

OSU:

We have faced Maxwell in 11.1 IP.  She's given up 7 hits, 2 ER, walked 2 and struck out 11
We have faced Day in 12 IP.  She's given up 13 hits, 2 ER and struck out 5.
We also faced Elish for 6.2 IP (2 hits, 0 ER, 1 walk, 10 K) but she is not pitching anymore this season

Texas

Dolcini has gotten the most work against them - 19.1 IP, 15 hits, 8 ER, 4 walks and 15 K
Simpson has worked briefly - 7 IP, 6 hits, 4 ER, 3 walk, 6 K

Maxwell is playing like the best pitcher in the country, so we are seeing her in game 1, for sure. The key is not to strike out 10 times against her, as she has done to us already once this year. 

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Or they put the teams in alphabetical order.

Bro, chill…

Yeah that is a stupid take.  Not everything is an anti-Texas conspiracy.  The Big 12 seems incredibly proud to be 3 of the final 4 teams in the WCWS and likely to be the first-ever All Big 12 championship series. 

The Big 12 is going to regret it when 2 of the 3 strongest programs in the conference are gone and it's just Ok State and a bunch of losers.  I guess UCF who was a top 16 seed, but come on. 

The Big 12 better hope Kenny G is really locked into OSU for the long term, and not until something better opens up (Florida), because if he leaves, the conference is going to be awful in softball after the SEC exodus of Texas and OU.

And let's be real - A&M is still allegedly pursuing Tim Walton.  If the UF job actually opens up in a week or two, I don't think Kenny G's extension is going to matter one bit.  He'll probably be headed to Gainesville on the first flight outta Stillwater. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

We also faced Elish for 6.2 IP (2 hits, 0 ER, 1 walk, 10 K) but she is not pitching anymore this season

Thank God. The last fucking thing I want to hear all night is about Elish "revenge" or what-the-fuck ever against big bad Texas. We're going to hear it enough as it is 

Edited by TexasIsBetter

3 minutes ago, TexasIsBetter said:

Thank God. The last fucking thing I want to hear all night is about Elish "revenge" or what-the-fuck ever against big bad Texas. We're going to hear it enough as it is 

She'll still hit against us.  Only game she didn't was the one right after her injury in game 2

0-3 with a walk in game 1
1-3 with 2 RBI in game 2 (HR)
DNP game 3
2-4 with an RBI in game 4

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah that is a stupid take.  Not everything is an anti-Texas conspiracy.  The Big 12 seems incredibly proud to be 3 of the final 4 teams in the WCWS and likely to be the first-ever All Big 12 championship series. 

The Big 12 is going to regret it when 2 of the 3 strongest programs in the conference are gone and it's just Ok State and a bunch of losers.  I guess UCF who was a top 16 seed, but come on. 

The Big 12 better hope Kenny G is really locked into OSU for the long term, and not until something better opens up (Florida), because if he leaves, the conference is going to be awful in softball after the SEC exodus of Texas and OU.

And let's be real - A&M is still allegedly pursuing Tim Walton.  If the UF job actually opens up in a week or two, I don't think Kenny G's extension is going to matter one bit.  He'll probably be headed to Gainesville on the first flight outta Stillwater. 

I am hearing the Walton to aggy rumors as well, but my guess is that Walton will get a big raise to stay in Gainsville. The ags have gotten more coaches raises this offseason than Jimmy Sexton. By my count, we have Kenny G, Courtney Deifel, Heather Tarr, and Lonnie Alameda. Walton will be the 5th, and then they will hire Pete D'Amour who they could've gotten to start with. I was really hoping they would grab Beth Torina from LSU, just so I could laugh when they sucked ass for the next 5 years.

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

who was a top 16 seed, but come on. 

Would he really leave Florida for aggy? Not sure the logic there other than money…

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She'll still hit against us.  Only game she didn't was the one right after her injury in game 2

0-3 with a walk in game 1
1-3 with 2 RBI in game 2 (HR)
DNP game 3
2-4 with an RBI in game 4

I wish Elish was pitching, because Maxwell is their best pitcher. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Would he really leave Florida for aggy? Not sure the logic there other than money…

Florida recently upgraded their stadium, but top to bottom, their facilities are not great. The ags have one of, if not the best facilities in the country, and they have plenty of money to throw at assistants. They also would love nothing better than to land the big fish that Texas couldn't get 3 years ago.

51 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I appreciate what you’re saying, but if they could somehow magically manufacture a few million more eyeballs for the conference football games sans OU and UT, they wouldn’t give a shit about any other sport, really. 

Even men’s basketball, in which they’ll arguably be better adding BYU, Cincinnati, and UH over OU/UT, isn’t going to help them out. There’s just not enough market share. They’re going to get mauled in the next TV rights negotiation. 

11 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Florida recently upgraded their stadium, but top to bottom, their facilities are not great. The ags have one of, if not the best facilities in the country, and they have plenty of money to throw at assistants. They also would love nothing better than to land the big fish that Texas couldn't get 3 years ago.

He has flirted with a lot of job openings, like Texas.  Do I think he'll go to aggy? Not really. 

Do I think they're getting desperate and will offer up an absurd contract?  Yes, of course.   He's at $700k now.  Would aggy offer up $1 million?  Probably. 

Congrats to everyone, including the great posts here !

Mike White is reminiscent of Augie.   Disappointments during the regular season but come playoff time you don’t want to play his team.

He lives for this - it’s his life !

Just now, torre said:

Congrats to everyone, including the great posts here !

Mike White is reminiscent of Augie.   Disappointments during the regular season but come playoff time you don’t want to play his team.

He lives for this - it’s his life !

It's been the Vic Schaefer formula too.  Get hot at the right time and go on a tear.  

Just now, Js1 said:

He has flirted with a lot of job openings, like Texas.  Do I think he'll go to aggy? Not really. 

Do I think they're getting desperate and will offer up an absurd contract?  Yes, of course.   He's at $700k now.  Would aggy offer up $1 million?  Probably. 

He is a good coach, but a lazy recruiter. He was at his best with Rocha and Kenny on staff to identify and close on recruits. My daughter took an official visit there in 2017 and she made up her mind fairly quickly that she would not play for Tim. He comes across in person as a pompous asshole.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

He is a good coach, but a lazy recruiter. He was at his best with Rocha and Kenny on staff to identify and close on recruits. My daughter took an official visit there in 2017 and she made up her mind fairly quickly that she would not play for Tim. He comes across in person as a pompous asshole.

How could he not end up at aggy then?!

OU starting Nicole May instead of Trautwein.  Tells me OU, as the team who only needs 1 win today, would rather keep Trautwein rested and have May/the offense win this one.  Trautwein can start the if-necessary game right after if UCLA wins. 

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Not a good start for May. OU might regret starting her

Probably feel the offense can pick her up, easily, and Bahl can get in work.  Their real ace can start game 2.

Risky? Yes.  But when you can score like OU, not a huge deal.