2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Thanks homie.  You guys are coming.  I’m the exception…  I want Texas to be good at everything.  Makes the rivalry mean something.  
Like always, I want you to do well…until you do.  Such is life…

I know exactly how you feel. In the 90s I was a little worried for a few years that OU was falling apart.

Then Bob Stoops came...and I hated every minute of it.

• Drool 1

38 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I know exactly how you feel. In the 90s I was a little worried for a few years that OU was falling apart.

Then Bob Stoops came...and I hated every minute of it.

One day…need a slump buster.  Maybe it’s guy who looks like 2022 🌈 Jenner.  Hope so. 

19 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

Ok, so I am mostly disappointed by the Horns total lack of fight. This was the team I saw in Clearwater. Several times, we had kids swinging freely immediately after a walk was issued. We played defense like the softball was a hand grenade, our pitchers couldn't hit their spots, and our hitters couldn't hit their asses with both hands. It was embarrassing to watch, so I can't imaging how it felt for the players on the field. Unfortunately, only one of those groups can do anything about it. We will see tonight if they have any fight left in them or if they are just happy to be there.

Did you even watch?

22 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Singleton is well liked by the team, and is generally a nice guy. This was 2 days worth of frustration boiling over. 

Now go start a softball 2023 thread so we have something new to talk about.

I think we usually start them closer to the season, maybe fall ball. 

We’ll be covering the off-season portal moves here 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Now that Alo has graduated, how many dudes does OU have left on their squad? 

We'll be dealing with Jayda Coleman and Tiare Jennings for a while.  And they just reload.  

35 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Now that Alo has graduated, how many dudes does OU have left on their squad? 

Coleman is the best all around player in softball and Jennings is heir to the power throne Alo just departed. They will Jordy Bahl back at 100%, and Grace Green is on their bench, but she was a freshman all american a few years ago before losing her spot. They will be VERY good again next year, but not "best of all time" good.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Coleman is the best all around player in softball and Jennings is heir to the power throne Alo just departed. They will Jordy Bahl back at 100%, and Grace Green is on their bench, but she was a freshman all american a few years ago before losing her spot. They will be VERY good again next year, but not "best of all time" good.

Because God hates us, they'll def get Storako.  They bring in:

Lefty Kiersten Deal was the #1 player and #1 pitcher in her class (shocker)
Jocelyn Erickson was #10
SJ Guerin was #20
Avery Hodge was #6

The last 2 are more traitors - Guerin is from Leander and Hodge is from Richmond (chose OU over aggy) 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Can’t blame anyone for going to the best program.  

That’s still only 4 recruits. Plenty of players out there, just have to be able to get your share of them, or more than your share. 

have to be able to both hit and pitch now to compete. 

Yep.  Also the next 2 weeks we will know more - coaches either have started (for the other WCWS Teams) or will be starting (OU/Texas) exit interviews and more names will enter.  

Texas will lose some players, no doubt.  OU might too.  It's about who we keep and who are possible entrants to the portal to pursue. 

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep.  Also the next 2 weeks we will know more - coaches either have started (for the other WCWS Teams) or will be starting (OU/Texas) exit interviews and more names will enter.  

Texas will lose some players, no doubt.  OU might too.  It's about who we keep and who are possible entrants to the portal to pursue. 

Who do see you see the Horns losing? I saw somewhere that Mak Parker left her cleats on the field. She is only a junior, but I would guess that means she is gone. I think we also see several more from a group of Cantu, Whitaker, Gilbert, Popelka, Ratcliff and Cimusz. Cimusz got a lot of ABs, but she is a catcher who is not going to see many innings at that position. Cantu got some run early in the season, but then lost her spot to Scott. The rest are free to go, and free up some money for the portal.

8 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Who do see you see the Horns losing? I saw somewhere that Mak Parker left her cleats on the field. She is only a junior, but I would guess that means she is gone. I think we also see several more from a group of Cantu, Whitaker, Gilbert, Popelka, Ratcliff and Cimusz. Cimusz got a lot of ABs, but she is a catcher who is not going to see many innings at that position. Cantu got some run early in the season, but then lost her spot to Scott. The rest are free to go, and free up some money for the portal.

Mak is done, she’s moving onto real life. She announced that previously.

My initial thoughts were Cantu bc she got her degree, Whitaker, Ratcliffe, Quiroga and maybe Mya Holmes. Didn’t Gilbert transfer already to us from Baylor? Unless she’ll finish her degree in the summer.

I think Cimusz stays. 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Mak is done, she’s moving onto real life. She announced that previously.

My initial thoughts were Cantu bc she got her degree, Whitaker, Ratcliffe, Quiroga and maybe Mya Holmes. Didn’t Gilbert transfer already to us from Baylor? Unless she’ll finish her degree in the summer.

I think Cimusz stays. 

Yes, Gilbert came from Baylor and Cantu is also a transfer from Tech. I can't imagine they came here to sit the bench. I hope Cimusz stays, but something about her body language tells me otherwise. Hope I am wrong.

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

Yes, Gilbert came from Baylor and Cantu is also a transfer from Tech. I can't imagine they came here to sit the bench. I hope Cimusz stays, but something about her body language tells me otherwise. Hope I am wrong.

Cantu was on the spring graduation list, so I do think she may move on with her grad transfer ability.  Dunno about Lou Gilbert having her degree yet or not.

Like you said, hope Cimusz stays.  Mary is graduating and I don't know if Mike is going to start Atwood at C as a freshman.  JJ Smith plays 1B better than Cimusz plays RF, so my C rotation would be Cimusz/Atwood.  Unless we find a transfer there. 

C - Cimusz/Atwood
1B - Smith/transfer (dunno how seriously Shaylon Govan is for us from SFA)
2B - TBD (could be a transfer, could be one of Martinez/Goode, could be Washington if we find a SS in the portal)
3B - Scott
SS - TBD or Washington if no transfer
CF Dayton
RF / LF ? - Popelka, Gilbert, Holmes (#22 and the #1 OF prospect I believe), Maloney (recovering from an injury), Pomykalski or transfers

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Texas will lose some players, no doubt.  OU might too.

OU won't dominate like this again next year. This year the Sooners beat ranked teams by an average of more than 5 runs and run-ruled 8 of 19 ranked opponents.

In addition to those you've mentioned, Grace Lyons (1st AA SS, 401, slg 864, ob 479, 20 HR) has said she's coming back for her Covid year. Jennings could stay at 2nd or move to 3rd. Where she plays will likely be determined by the other options at those positions.  Much OU's fortunes in 2023 may be determined by Kinsie Hansen's play. The catcher was injured for much of 2022 but hit 438, slg 893, ob 495, 24HR in 2021.

OU loses 1st base, 3rd base, #1A pitcher, a catcher, and Alo. The amongst those departures, they lose 65 HR, 3 players who hit > 350, 3 players who slugged > 600, and an ERA of 0.77.

Amongst known names who could leave, Makenzie Donihoo is in the portal and has already been removed from the roster (438, slg 762, ob 527, 9 HR in 105 AB 2021). Grace Green will have a Covid year if she wants it at OU or somewhere (359, slg 712, ob 442, 17 HR in 170 AB 2019). I can see her moving on because there isn't space in OU's outfield right now. Nicole May may want to go somewhere she can be a #1 or at least #2 option (15-1, 1.3 ERA, WHIP 0.93, but only 91 IP). All 3 would have a lot of options.

After that, you've basically got freshman and upper class non-contributors. Some of these players will likely leave for other programs. From the 2021 team, OU had 6 non-contributors portal out. Three went to P5 schools and played Tennessee (started every game, hit 281, 14 HR), Ole Miss (ERA 2.6 over 59 IP), Tx Tech (ERA 4.9, 50 IP). I'd expect more attrition at the bottom of the roster again this year.

It really is like Alabama FB.

Well you already got Storako, apparently, so it's just a matter of what power hitters and super fielders Patty wants.  What Patty wants, Patty gets.  

You won't dominate against next year, but with Storako/Bahl/Coleman/Lyons/Jennings, you're the odds on favorite, again.  You might only beat ranked opponents by an average of 4 runs instead. 

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, quigley said:

Is Storako-to-OU known?

Agree, a Storako-Bahl (if healthy) combo would incredible, if it happens.

Someone on UCS Forum said it.  @FloridaHorn seems to have some sauces with the Michigan team.  But let's be real, if Storako wants to win a title, she's going to OU. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Someone on UCS Forum said it.  @FloridaHorn seems to have some sauces with the Michigan team.  But let's be real, if Storako wants to win a title, she's going to OU. 

Storako will be at one of 3 places next year. Florida, FSU, or OU. If Patty wants her, and grad school aligns, I have been told she would choose the Sooners. I don't think there is any chance Grace Green leaves OU now, when she could have left 2 years ago. Patty will have her exit interviews, review her roster, and then put out the word for what wants from the portal. Mysteriously, those players will show up in the portal and commit to OU a week later.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

Storako will be at one of 3 places next year. Florida, FSU, or OU. If Patty wants her, and grad school aligns, I have been told she would choose the Sooners. I don't think there is any chance Grace Green leaves OU now, when she could have left 2 years ago. Patty will have her exit interviews, review her roster, and then put out the word for what wants from the portal. Mysteriously, those players will show up in the portal and commit to OU a week later.

Just like Saban. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

Screenshot 2022-06-11 120420.jpg

May take less than a week! This was from yesterday!

My wonder about Green and My transferring is about playing time only.

Edited by quigley

Thanks ladies for an unbelievable run. My daughter and I had so much fun discussing the regionals and supers as you made your way through them. The WCWS was one of the most fun times we've ever had together. Ya'll have set the bar high and hopefully future teams will meet and beat that bar. Tip of the hat to all of ya!

• Hook 'Em 5

On 6/10/2022 at 12:01 PM, Js1 said:

Storako to OU official, per her twitter page. Stevie Wonder could see this one coming. She didn't even take her other visits.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wow I am sooooooooooooooooo surprised 

FSU fans here in Florida swore she was coming there, a few Gator fans had their hopes up as well. Once Patty Saban sinks her hooks, the fight is over. When her teammate told me she was visiting OU first, I knew it was over. Now, it becomes even more important that Mike White find an arm to help this team out next year.

Just now, FloridaHorn said:

FSU fans here in Florida swore she was coming there, a few Gator fans had their hopes up as well. Once Patty Saban sinks her hooks, the fight is over. When her teammate told me she was visiting OU first, I knew it was over. Now, it becomes even more important that Mike White find an arm to help this team out next year.

You always want to be the transfer's first visit and the high school recruit's last visit, or something. 

2 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

Storako to OU official, per her twitter page. Stevie Wonder could see this one coming. She didn't even take her other visits.

I wonder if May leaves, or if she's content in being #3 again.

Edited by quigley