2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

My question on the fielding. 
Is it because of the assistants or does White push for players that can hit but may not be great fielders? Were his teams good defensively at Oregon? 

I think it’s both. His last three years at Oregon, they were 4th, 2nd, and 6th in the conference in fielding %.

My question on the fielding. 
Is it because of the assistants or does White push for players that can hit but may not be great fielders? Were his teams good defensively at Oregon? 

I think it’s both. His last three years at Oregon, they were 4th, 2nd, and 6th in the conference in fielding %.

22 hours ago, Js1 said:

Sanders to OU. How shocking 🙄

Not even sure we were in it. I can't figure out our portal recruiting strategy, seems we're not as aggressive or able to sell well. I know ou is rolling but we have a lot to sell transfers in the nil era. They have to believe in the program.

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Julia Cottrill is transferring from Oklahoma State which is big loss for them. 

I really have a hard time taking this transfer deadline seriously. This would be Cottrills 2nd time transferring and past the deadline. Players know they can get waivers from the NCAA. 

That or she's a 3 year grad.  Not unheard of if she's finishing her degree this summer, but unlikely.   Could also be in the portal now to transfer mid-year, like Dolcini. 

The NCAA needs to make some changes to the portal.

Also could be a hint that Haley Lee ends up at OK State, but who knows. 

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

any thoughts on why we don't seem to be as successful getting "top dogs" from the portal?  I thought for sure we would parlay our WCWS into more portal success.  

Mac Morgan isn't a "top dog"?  She's the 2nd best pitcher in the portal after Storako. I guess you could argue it was Kilfoyl but I would take Morgan with 3 years of eligibility left and no injury issues. 

That came out of nowhere so willing to guess something similar happens with a hitter soon. 

15 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

any thoughts on why we don't seem to be as successful getting "top dogs" from the portal?  I thought for sure we would parlay our WCWS into more portal success.  

Besides Mac Morgan, everyone of note is just going to OU.  

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Besides Mac Morgan, everyone of note is just going to OU.  

one would think, since only 9 can play in a game, that we'd get more leftovers, portal or otherwise. Sigh. 

21 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Mac Morgan isn't a "top dog"?  She's the 2nd best pitcher in the portal after Storako. I guess you could argue it was Kilfoyl but I would take Morgan with 3 years of eligibility left and no injury issues. 

That came out of nowhere so willing to guess something similar happens with a hitter soon. 

Sure.  But it seems like we need more.  Pitching and power hitting.  

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

one would think, since only 9 can play in a game, that we'd get more leftovers, portal or otherwise. Sigh. 

Sure.  But it seems like we need more.  Pitching and power hitting.  

We know we need more.  Mac Morgan is a good start.  Haley Lee is still out there.  Palacios from Arizona is still out there.  There's always going to be surprised mid-year transfers like Dolcini.  Someone loses playing time to a new kid or doesn't vibe with a new coach and figures they can just graduate and play immediately or apply for a waiver due to a coaching change. 

We've gotten Cydney Sanders on campus for a visit.  Haley Lee, too (I think).  Mike's getting them here.  But Gasso calls and it's game over.  We had Trautwein about to commit to Mike last offseason and she saw that 405 area code calling and then we had no chance. 

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe somebody else can chime in but I don't believe Texas needs more pitching with Morgan. 

Morgan, Czech, Simpson, and then the freshman class coming in. Texas could definitely use a power hitter or 2 which I still expect to happen. 

Mac Morgan solves a lot of our pitching problem. You'd like maybe a grad transfer if one shows up (like Dolcini did) but those 3 are pretty dang good if Simpson really develops this offseason.

Texas still really needs a power hitting C or 1B (Lee or Palacios solve the catcher spot, which allows you to rotate Cimusz/Day at 1B) and gotta figure out the corner OF spots, especially RF, which was a problem all season long.  Maddie P is a good candidate and Mya Holmes was pretty highly ranked (#22 overall and #1 OF for FloSoftball) 

It's going to be hard for Mike to keep Vivana Martinez out of the infield, where she can slide into JJ's spot at 2B or she may push Washington to 2B and steal SS.  

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Mac Morgan solves a lot of our pitching problem. You'd like maybe a grad transfer if one shows up (like Dolcini did) but those 3 are pretty dang good if Simpson really develops this offseason.

The worry is adding a grad transfer would scare off Simpson. Morgan pitched well in the Pac 12 as a freshman and then Czech had success at the college world series. 

If you add another grad transfer to that mix would Simpson stick around? I would guess she's out the door if Texas adds another transfer that is good. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

The worry is adding a grad transfer would scare off Simpson. Morgan pitched well in the Pac 12 as a freshman and then Czech had success at the college world series. 

If you add another grad transfer to that mix would Simpson stick around? I would guess she's out the door if Texas adds another transfer that is good. 

I don't think we are going to get as lucky as we got with Dolcini.  That was a combination of a lot of things that had to happen: 

Ryleigh White and Ariana Adams leaving
Molly Jacobsen graduating
Shea's freak injury in December that really fucked her up

We were going to head into the 2022 season with a hobbled O'Leary, Day and 3 new pitchers to the roster in Czech, Hulon and Simpson.  Much different scenario for Texas going into 2023. 

6 hours ago, torre said:

https://mutigers.com/news/2022/6/28/softball-cottrill-named-assistant-coach.aspx

Julia Cottrill's Dad just took an assistant job at Mizzou.    Was at OkSt for 7 years.    Seems unusual to make a lateral move unless significant $$$     Or KennyG may be having team/coach chemistry issues.

He was fired.  OK State's hitting wasn't very good. 

Haley Lee is following Alyssa Washington and vice versa. Hmmm

On 7/11/2022 at 9:39 PM, Cairn Horn88 said:

Then they knew they’d lose the daughter if they fired the dad.

Not necessarily.  She already transferred once - she knew there's a risk she'd have to sit out a year.  She'll either need a waiver or to graduate in the summer or fall to play immediately if she follows him or goes elsewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sounds like Haley Lee is headed to OU and chasing a ring in her final year. This will be a truly uninteresting season.........I mean we could coach this OU team to a national title with the players they have. 

I'm not sure this is how some thought the transfer portal would play out because it's allowing the top teams to seperate themselves. This is not bringing more parity to college sports. Not that I'm complaining because I believe it's helping us as seen in other sports and the addition of Morgan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/11/2022 at 10:43 AM, bschoolprof said:

Texas should be ready to steal some OU players when they transfer because it's coming. With the additions of these transfers they're going to lose some good players due to playing time. 

In a way, I think adding Lee is a mistake by OU. They were going to win the national title without Lee and now they're going to run off top recruits due to playing time when they still had 3 or 4 years of eligibility left. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Sounds like Haley Lee is headed to OU and chasing a ring in her final year. This will be a truly uninteresting season.........I mean we could coach this OU team to a national title with the players they have. 

I'm not sure this is how some thought the transfer portal would play out because it's allowing the top teams to seperate themselves. This is not bringing more parity to college sports. Not that I'm complaining because I believe it's helping us as seen in other sports and the addition of Morgan. 

Never thought it was going to lead to parity. It’s Alabama football, picking the top transfers. Tennessee baseball. South Carolina WBB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Never thought it was going to lead to parity. It’s Alabama football, picking the top transfers. Tennessee baseball. South Carolina WBB. 

Also, big brands. The small schools have no chance under this model.

Texas doesn't finish 2nd last year without Dayton, Czech, Dolcini and the Oregon transfers. That's why I can't get too upset even with OU stealing all the top transfers. This model has allowed us to go from an average program to 2nd in the country. 

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Baylea Brandon is transferring to Texas from LSU. 

Based on her LSU profile she was a top 30 recruit last recruiting class. 

2 HR in 25 ABs last year. 5 of her 7 hits were XBH. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, orangeut said:

LSU must have been loaded (JK) if she only got 25 ABs.   Not only a top recruit but showed power.   Seems odd she didn't play more.

LSU's coach isn't very good and is on the hot seat. They apparently have a lot of issues in their program starting with the head coach. 

It was posted on here that Texas softball and LSU's top hitter had followed each other for a few days on Instagram. So this could be far from the last LSU transfer that Texas is after. 

27 minutes ago, orangeut said:

LSU must have been loaded (JK) if she only got 25 ABs.   Not only a top recruit but showed power.   Seems odd she didn't play more.

LSU is a bad program right now 

12 hours ago, orangeut said:

Technically not wrong for Brandon. 

She was a freshman and primarily came in as a 1B.  LSU was not going to start her over Georgia Clark (RS JR) at 1B or Shelby Sunseri (5th year SR) at DP.  She got a few starts over the course of an entire season, as most freshman do, but she was probably going to always be a bench player/spot starter in her freshman year because of the depth in front of her. 

She was ranked #27 by EIS and #32 by Flo Softball for a reason. 

She's a very good player and 5 XBH in 7 hits speaks to her power.  With ~150 at bats, she projects out to 18 doubles and 12 HR.  That would be #2 on last year's team for doubles (JJ 24, Mary 15) and tied for 1st in HR (Day 12).  She looks like our starting 1B as soon as she arrives on campus.  

LSU has a reputation for ruining or underdeveloping hitters - Howard Dobson is so washed up and Beth Torina refuses to make changes to her coaching staff.  What Coach Sing has done with our hitters bodes well for Brandon. 

I guess we are still TBD on some potential transfers, but so far, I have:

P:  Czech, Morgan, Simpson, Gutierrez, Hulon
C : Cimusz/Atwood
1B: Brandon/Cimusz/Atwood
2B: ? (maybe Martinez or Goode)
SS: Washington
3B: Scott
OF: Dayton, Gilbert, Holmes, Popelka, Pomykalski 
DP: Day/Whitaker

I could also see some shuffling of the 2B, SS and 3B spots.  One of the freshman could flip Washington to 2B if they have better defense at SS.  

I still don't see Day or Whitaker in the field, except maybe RF, but geez, it would be a slow ass OF. 

Edited by Js1

Just read that Nadia Taylor has been named hitting coach at Michigan State. 

Michigan State just replaced the coaching staff after not having a winning record since 2016.   New head coach is Sharonda McDonald Kelley,  former head coach at Campbell,  from Houston,  played at aggy.

Congrats, Nadia !    One of my all time faves. 

https://extrainningsoftball.com/nadia-taylor-michigan-state-coaching-staff/  

Softball Texas-Ex Nadia Taylor invited to USA Softball National Team  Selection Camp - University of Texas Athletics